Obama promises more than 600,000 stim...

Obama promises more than 600,000 stimulus jobs

There are 109487 comments on the Newsday story from Jun 8, 2009, titled Obama promises more than 600,000 stimulus jobs. In it, Newsday reports that:

President Barack Obama promised Monday to deliver more than 600,000 jobs through his $787 billion stimulus plan this summer, with federal agencies pumping billions into public works projects, schools and summer youth programs.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

“Impeach Obama!”

Since: Jul 08

Memphis, TN

#117788 Oct 22, 2012
Pittakos wrote:
Here's my take on last night: Obama scored a few points for actually showing up to the debate. I'll give them both a draw for style even though Obama did have some help from Crowley.
Romney, however, took the debate on substance. The constant fact manipulation by Obama was as transparent as the windshield on my car. It won't wash with the majority of Americans. Only the Obamadopes will bob their heads and drool while listening to Bark's drivel.
Americans are realizing that four more years of Obamacrap is just going to leave them with even less take-home pay, higher fuel prices, less jobs (wasn't that the original theme of this thread?), higher health care costs, more regulations, etc., etc., etc. Meanwhile, Romney offers solid plans to turn things around. He is a businessman. He understands how businesses function and how they create jobs. He knows what is needed to get the business community to start working again. He's been there and done that. Romney offers real hope.
Bottom line, even though Obozo showed up, it isn't going to be enough to stop the rising tide which is washing away his base. Romney should continue to pull ahead. Blow-out in November, anyone?
In a hilarious few minutes of the debate, Romney used Biden's own words to criticize the Illegitimate Obama Regime's lack of compassion and sincerity and honesty to the majority of the American People.

"Romney cast Obama as a president who failed to deliver on his promises — to lower the unemployment rate, to cut the deficit, to lift people out of poverty and to create more jobs.

“The middle class is getting crushed under the policies of a president who has not understood what it takes to get the economy working again,” Romney said, echoing as he had in the first debate a damaging phrase that Vice President Biden had used recently, when he said the middle class had been “crushed” during the past four years."
Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/
joe

Corte Madera, CA

#117789 Oct 23, 2012
Teddy R wrote:
<quoted text>
<sigh> Ok, joe. That's ok. We can't all possess rudimentary arithmentic skills ... here - I'll walk you thru it.
First: The data - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/111th_United_Sta...
Now, scroll down to the "Party Summary" table for the Senate.
Your homework assignment is to do the arithmetic on how many votes Harry Reid controlled for the Dems (don't forget to include the the two independents - Jeffords and Lieberman - who caucused with the dems) vs how many votes were required for a 60% majority over each of the periods shown, taking account of vacancies.
Make sure to check your work. Ask Mom for help if you need it.
When you have done your sums correctly and have gotten over your little tantrum at the results, you will find the Dems held a 60% supermajority for the following periods:
7 July 2009-25 August 2009 (49 days)
9-10 Sept 2009 (1 day)
25 Sept 2009-4 Feb 2010 (132 days)
Total - 182 days during which Harry Reid and the Dems could ram whatever Bill they wanted through the Senate regardless of GOP opposition.
(Which they did, in fact - only it was Obamacare they rammed thru, not effective economic recovery measures; pouring gasoline on the fire. Throwing an anchor to a drowning man. GG Dems. You calculated you could ram your progressive health care wet-dream up America's unwilling azz "for Teddy" and still get away with blaming the resulting economic disaster on Bush - that the People were stupid enough not to call you on it. You suck. And you were wrong - you paid in 2010, and you're going to par even bigger for it in 2 weeks' time).
Then look at the periods during which Harry Reid needed to obtain only ONE GOP vote to ram whatever Bill they wanted through the Senate regardless of opposition from the rest of the GOP. You will find that in addition to the periods above, Harry Reid needed only ONE vote to hold absolute filibuster-proof sway over the Senate from 30th April 2009 all the way thru 28th Jun 2010, a further 136-day period from 16th July thru 29th November 2010.
There's your "evidence / proof, you know, objective verification" of what I posted.
Now - go back and read my post again; your reading comprehension skills also appear to need some brush-up.
I did not say the Obama/Pelosi/Reid axis had 'total control of Congress during his first two years as president.' That's YOUR lame-azz strawman. I said they had total control of the 111th Congress for 182 days, and were one vote away from it for 560 days - and that IT DOESN'T GET ANY BETTER THAN THIS in US politics for a POTUS who is a COMPETENT political leader.
You have provided nothing in the way of objective fact or rational argument that gives me reason to re-visit my conclusions on Obama's epic incompetence as a politician and a leader.
You ramble and accuse but it's just 'cause you were caught lying. We all know how it works. Your math skills are as bad as your agitprop ramblings.

agitprop
Political strategy in which techniques of agitation and propaganda are used to influence public opinion.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/agi...

I think that sums you and your clumsy, middle-school attempts at cleverness. Now, run along. I have a World Series to prepare for.
joe

Corte Madera, CA

#117790 Oct 23, 2012
Look these things up for yourself, people. Republicans LIE.

The Democrats only had a filibuster-proof majority (including two independents) from the time that Al Franken was finally seated (July 7, 2009) until the point that Teddy Kennedy passed away (August 25, 2009). That's only seven weeks, not two years.

And there was never a supermajority in the House. The balance at the start of the Congress was 257 - 178, which is a Democratic share of 59 percent, not 67.

Obama never had a super majority in both Houses, let alone for two years. In the Senate, his super-majority lasted seven weeks.

There was an interim Senator from Massachusetts who was, in fact, the 60th vote for healthcare reform after Ted Kennedy died. Paul Kirk served as interim Senator from Massachusetts from September 24, 2009 to February 4, 2010. Therefore, the Democrats had a Senate supermajority for seven weeks with Kennedy and nineteen weeks with Paul Kirk, for a total of 26 weeks, or half a year.

By the time Al Franken was sworn in on July 7, 2009, Ted Kennedy had not cast a Senate vote for about four months because he was terminally ill with brain cancer.(He died on August 25, 2009.) Robert Byrd was also hospitalized from May 18 through June 30, 2009 and may not have been well enough to attend Congress and vote for some time afterward. Thus the Democrats did not really have the 60 votes needed to break a filibuster until Kirk took office.
Teddy R

San Francisco, CA

#117791 Oct 23, 2012
joe wrote:
<quoted text>
You ramble and accuse but it's just 'cause you were caught lying. We all know how it works. Your math skills are as bad as your agitprop ramblings.
agitprop
Political strategy in which techniques of agitation and propaganda are used to influence public opinion.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/agi...
I think that sums you and your clumsy, middle-school attempts at cleverness. Now, run along. I have a World Series to prepare for.
Fail.
Teddy R

San Francisco, CA

#117792 Oct 23, 2012
joe wrote:
Look these things up for yourself, people. Republicans LIE.
The Democrats only had a filibuster-proof majority (including two independents) from the time that Al Franken was finally seated (July 7, 2009) until the point that Teddy Kennedy passed away (August 25, 2009). That's only seven weeks, not two years.
And there was never a supermajority in the House. The balance at the start of the Congress was 257 - 178, which is a Democratic share of 59 percent, not 67.
Obama never had a super majority in both Houses, let alone for two years. In the Senate, his super-majority lasted seven weeks.
There was an interim Senator from Massachusetts who was, in fact, the 60th vote for healthcare reform after Ted Kennedy died. Paul Kirk served as interim Senator from Massachusetts from September 24, 2009 to February 4, 2010. Therefore, the Democrats had a Senate supermajority for seven weeks with Kennedy and nineteen weeks with Paul Kirk, for a total of 26 weeks, or half a year.
By the time Al Franken was sworn in on July 7, 2009, Ted Kennedy had not cast a Senate vote for about four months because he was terminally ill with brain cancer.(He died on August 25, 2009.) Robert Byrd was also hospitalized from May 18 through June 30, 2009 and may not have been well enough to attend Congress and vote for some time afterward. Thus the Democrats did not really have the 60 votes needed to break a filibuster until Kirk took office.
I have shown this narrative, with irreutable back-up facts sourced, to be nothing more than a lame partisan excuse for simple incompetency.

Obama, Pelosi and Reid had total control of the House and with Arlen Spector's GOP vote in the Senate (who voted with the Democrats most of the time in the 111th Congress) they had filibuster-proof control of the Senate for 75% of its term.

The nation needed a economic turnarund and growth - Obut they raped us with Obamacare instead.

The day of reckoning for this political crime comes in 2 weeks.
Obama Welfare Motors

Florham Park, NJ

#117793 Oct 23, 2012
More from the Government Motors scam:

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/worker...

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#117794 Oct 23, 2012
looking forward to new jobs over sea,s got to love it . dumb and dumber takeing us down the crap hole

“Go Ahead Liberal, Make My Day”

Since: Dec 07

Florida...home of Trump

#117795 Oct 23, 2012
Pfluger the Union Monkey wrote:
fubo
Hey Pflug,

finally got to see "Obama 2016"; it just hit our "On Demand" service for Cablevision. Best $5 I ever spent. One of the most frightning documentries you'll ever see. For folks like us who grew up in the Reagan era, the facts from the past are there. What Barry has done now to cut our military and reducing our nuclear arms, sh!t, even Bubba would dream of doing that.
Lev

South Africa

#117796 Oct 23, 2012
Will be visiting America if Romney wins - I love a 'winning nation.' Romney has the intelligence to put America back on the road to recovery.

Good luck America.
1 post removed

Since: Nov 08

Provo, UT

#117798 Oct 23, 2012
joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Blow it out your azs. Submit your bill to the RNC, hack. Talk about cut and paste without understanding wtf you're talking about, you are priceless.
Looks like you were owned, PAU. ;-)

Since: Nov 08

Provo, UT

#117799 Oct 23, 2012
Teddy R wrote:
<quoted text>
"We??" Who exactly is this "we" of whom you speak, Chimera ... uh ... I mean - "joe" <snicker>?
Ooooh - and I see we have a new favorite word we heard in drama class over at College of Marin, haven't we, joe ... "agitprop" ... that's so cute and tragically hipster of you.
Do try to stay awake for the WHOLE class next time, though - and refrain from using big words until you have obtained a full understanding of their meaning. Unless you MEANT to accuse me of practicing highly-politicized extreme leftist theatre ...
(Do hurry and reply - I'm going to read your response to this in my very best Pee Wee Herman impression - "I meant to do that ..." So much fun you are!)
Teddy, don't you know that joe is the Queen of England? "We" is perfectly acceptable.
Politics as usual

Melville, NY

#117800 Oct 23, 2012
Pittakos wrote:
<quoted text>
Looks like you were owned, PAU. ;-)
actually i am a little scared that Joe might get his mommy to yell at me, or start a chorus of liar, liar, pants on fire.

on a good note, Romney effectively used the rope-a-dope last night and he drew Obama right in, all Obama had left was his personal likeability and after last night, as disrespectful as he was, that will be gone as well.

now we have a president who is incompetent and corrupt, has done the worst job of any president in the history of this country, and who came across as likeable as Bill Maher does.

frankly unless the corrupt media led by the blowhard Candy Crowley at CNN and the new york rag can totally mislead the public, this election is over.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#117801 Oct 23, 2012
ya take down all of our defence and let every one in to kill us sounds like a plan for the next four years . hope u fool have lots of ammo .lol good luck
1 post removed

Since: Nov 08

Provo, UT

#117803 Oct 23, 2012
Politics as usual wrote:
<quoted text>
actually i am a little scared that Joe might get his mommy to yell at me, or start a chorus of liar, liar, pants on fire.
on a good note, Romney effectively used the rope-a-dope last night and he drew Obama right in, all Obama had left was his personal likeability and after last night, as disrespectful as he was, that will be gone as well.
now we have a president who is incompetent and corrupt, has done the worst job of any president in the history of this country, and who came across as likeable as Bill Maher does.
frankly unless the corrupt media led by the blowhard Candy Crowley at CNN and the new york rag can totally mislead the public, this election is over.
I hope and pray that you are right ... well except for the part about joe's mummy coming after you.

It seems that initial results show Oblowhard won the debate on slickness points but the substance was lacking. He can't run on his failures so he only has witty little quips to throw back at Romney. Even though the crowd says he won, he fell behind in swaying votes.

Early voting starts here today. I think I'll meander on down to the voting booth sometime this week to leave my boot-print in the back of the Kenyans pants.

Do you think they'll allow the votes from States 51 through 57 to be counted?

Since: Nov 08

Provo, UT

#117804 Oct 23, 2012
olddogs1964 wrote:
ya take down all of our defence and let every one in to kill us sounds like a plan for the next four years . hope u fool have lots of ammo .lol good luck
The "fools" won't buy any ammo. They don't go for that 2nd amendment silliness. I just bought some more .308s last week.
joe

Corte Madera, CA

#117805 Oct 23, 2012
Pittakos wrote:
<quoted text>
Looks like you were owned, PAU. ;-)
Teddy is a paid employee of the Republican party. Verify for yourself the below facts, else you're just another victim of the Republican Lie Machine. And wouldn't you rather be an informed idiot right winger rather than a sheeple?


The Democrats only had a filibuster-proof majority (including two independents) from the time that Al Franken was finally seated (July 7, 2009) until the point that Teddy Kennedy passed away (August 25, 2009). That's only seven weeks, not two years.

And there was never a supermajority in the House. The balance at the start of the Congress was 257 - 178, which is a Democratic share of 59%, not 67%.

Obama never had a super majority in both Houses, let alone for two years. In the Senate, his super-majority lasted seven weeks.
There was an interim Senator from Massachusetts who was, in fact, the 60th vote for healthcare reform after Ted Kennedy died. Paul Kirk served as interim Senator from Massachusetts from September 24, 2009 to February 4, 2010. Therefore, the Democrats had a Senate supermajority for seven weeks with Kennedy and nineteen weeks with Paul Kirk, for a total of 26 weeks, or half a year.

By the time Al Franken was sworn in on July 7, 2009, Ted Kennedy had not cast a Senate vote for about four months because he was terminally ill with brain cancer.(He died on August 25, 2009.) Robert Byrd was also hospitalized from May 18 through June 30, 2009 and may not have been well enough to attend Congress and vote for some time afterward. Thus the Democrats did not really have the 60 votes needed to break a filibuster until Kirk took office.
Politics as usual

Melville, NY

#117806 Oct 23, 2012
Pittakos wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope and pray that you are right ... well except for the part about joe's mummy coming after you.
It seems that initial results show Oblowhard won the debate on slickness points but the substance was lacking. He can't run on his failures so he only has witty little quips to throw back at Romney. Even though the crowd says he won, he fell behind in swaying votes.
Early voting starts here today. I think I'll meander on down to the voting booth sometime this week to leave my boot-print in the back of the Kenyans pants.
Do you think they'll allow the votes from States 51 through 57 to be counted?
Obama probably mentioned 57 states because he is hoping the corrupt media and the democratic party can somehow make up another 7 states with dead and fictitious voters to sway the election,

frankly this is as accurate as half the things Obama said last night,

i don't ever remember a president lying as much as Obama does ever, it just shows that he is of low moral character, as well as corrupt and incompetent.

http://www.investors.com/editorial-cartoons/m...

Since: Nov 08

Provo, UT

#117807 Oct 23, 2012
Politics as usual wrote:
<quoted text>
Obama probably mentioned 57 states because he is hoping the corrupt media and the democratic party can somehow make up another 7 states with dead and fictitious voters to sway the election,
frankly this is as accurate as half the things Obama said last night,
i don't ever remember a president lying as much as Obama does ever, it just shows that he is of low moral character, as well as corrupt and incompetent.
http://www.investors.com/editorial-cartoons/m...
You know, this is one of the reasons I hope Romney wins. It will be so different having someone in the White House who is a moral upstanding person with no skeletons in his closet. He doesn't drink. He doesn't carouse. He has raised a great family. He is successful in business. He gives oodles of money to charity. I mean, what a difference. I also believe he will be the type of person to build bridges instead of tearing them down. IE: none of this crappola we've had for the last four years. He won't tell the other party right out of the starting gate that they will have to sit in the back of the bus. I'm also willing to bet that his staff will be of like character at his insistence. Lets just hope America has woken up and will give him the win.
1 post removed
Politics as usual

Melville, NY

#117809 Oct 23, 2012
Pittakos wrote:
<quoted text>
You know, this is one of the reasons I hope Romney wins. It will be so different having someone in the White House who is a moral upstanding person with no skeletons in his closet. He doesn't drink. He doesn't carouse. He has raised a great family. He is successful in business. He gives oodles of money to charity. I mean, what a difference. I also believe he will be the type of person to build bridges instead of tearing them down. IE: none of this crappola we've had for the last four years. He won't tell the other party right out of the starting gate that they will have to sit in the back of the bus. I'm also willing to bet that his staff will be of like character at his insistence. Lets just hope America has woken up and will give him the win.
Romney really is a great candidate, and the dishonesty of Obama trickles down to where our government becomes more and more corrupt every day, as now payoffs and kickbacks have become so commonplace that no one even thinks twice about it.

the blame here is mostly on the corrupt media, they feel it is so important to support the left wing ideology that they apply a double standard again and again to the left and right wing politicians to where the left can get away with almost anything, just look at rangel, waters, meeks, towns, obama, pelosi, frank, and others, they are just a bunch of crooks, liars and thieves but because the corrupt mainstream media feel it is so important to elect democrats, they get away with it.

it was sickening to see Obama calling Romney a liar last night especially when Obama is the real liar.

i just hope Romney does win, and this win sends a message to candy Crowley's CNN, the new york times, msnbc and the rest of the corrupt that the people have had enough.

Since: Nov 08

Provo, UT

#117810 Oct 23, 2012
Politics as usual wrote:
<quoted text>
Romney really is a great candidate, and the dishonesty of Obama trickles down to where our government becomes more and more corrupt every day, as now payoffs and kickbacks have become so commonplace that no one even thinks twice about it.
the blame here is mostly on the corrupt media, they feel it is so important to support the left wing ideology that they apply a double standard again and again to the left and right wing politicians to where the left can get away with almost anything, just look at rangel, waters, meeks, towns, obama, pelosi, frank, and others, they are just a bunch of crooks, liars and thieves but because the corrupt mainstream media feel it is so important to elect democrats, they get away with it.
it was sickening to see Obama calling Romney a liar last night especially when Obama is the real liar.
i just hope Romney does win, and this win sends a message to candy Crowley's CNN, the new york times, msnbc and the rest of the corrupt that the people have had enough.
We are completely on the same page. Of course, none of this comes from observation. We get our talking points from Rush. Right? ;-)(Thought I'd save poor joe the effort of spouting that off.)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min Earl 1,685,127
News 'Illegal alien' or 'undocumented immigrant'? U.... 9 min Correct 13
News Deportation fears have legal immigrants avoidin... 28 min Correct 22
News Trump says he's 'like, really smart,' 'a very s... 32 min Correct 609
News Thousands descend on Indy for anniversary Women... 34 min zzzzzzzzzzzzzz 7
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 39 min Correct 53,129
News Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins another term (Nov '10) 40 min American 24,705
News Leaders say Trump presidency is at odds with ML... 5 hr RiccardoFire 346
More from around the web