Obama promises more than 600,000 stim...

Obama promises more than 600,000 stimulus jobs

There are 109487 comments on the Newsday story from Jun 8, 2009, titled Obama promises more than 600,000 stimulus jobs. In it, Newsday reports that:

President Barack Obama promised Monday to deliver more than 600,000 jobs through his $787 billion stimulus plan this summer, with federal agencies pumping billions into public works projects, schools and summer youth programs.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

nac

Merrick, NY

#115831 Jun 14, 2012
I honestly don't understand how anyone would support Obama again. I do understand why people fell for it last time, he was running against Bush-era war mongering, the destruction of civil liberties, Guantanamo, and a corrupt government in bed with special interests & Wall Street. We should all vote against those things.

But since being elected, what has Obama done? HE HAS grabbed the Bush baton and kept running in the same direction, while wasting, I mean spending, unimaginable amounts of money that has yet to bear any fruit.

Guantanamo is still open, remember when people hated that under Bush? But now it's become even harder to get out than it was under W, if it can be done at all. But that's ok now, the prez is cool.

We've seen him go to war in Libya without congressional approval... remember when that was "illegal" when Bush did it? Now that's ok, the prez is cool. Leon Panetta even said that they get their approval from the UN, and will "inform Congress" when they go to war. Unbelievable.

Speaking of war, his administration is doing a lot of sabre rattling with Iran. When Bush did this with Iraq, people were ashamed of their country. But now it's just fine... the prez is cool.

Again, WE ARE GOING to go to WAR WITH IRAN because MAYBE SOME DAY they will get a WMD. Most people didn't want to go to war in Iraq when the gov't said they DID HAVE WMDs, and now they'll support a war against someone that MIGHT SOMEDAY? Oh, right... it's fine, the prez is cool.

Remember when the Patriot Act was a disgusting attack on our civil liberties under W? It's still around isn't it? It's ok now? The prez must be pretty cool.

On that note, the TSA keeps expanding and becoming more invasive. In a way that Bush could only dream about. But no one cares... look at the prez shooting hoops with a celebrity!

It gets worse... on New Years eve, Obama signed the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA). In that bill is a provision stating that the government can DETAIN U.S. CITIZENS ON U.S. SOIL indefinitely ... without due process. Read that again.(Don't defend it by saying a judge recently ruled it Unconstitutional, OF COURSE IT IS!) The point is, Mr. Hope&Change SIGNED IT and thought it was just fine. If Bush did that, people would be marching in the streets.(rightfully so) But now it's fine... the prez is just so cool.

The point of this isn't to get you to vote Romney. He will continue to expand all of this (only this stuff will be on the news & everyone will be mad)... but it will continue none the less. They are OWNED BY THE SAME PEOPLE!

The point is to make people think about why we can't do better. Why are most people blindly following one of two parties, when they are both equally detrimental to Liberty, Freedom, a strong dollar, and a healthy republic?

In grade school you pledged allegiance to the flag every morning. Now most people pledge allegiance to a political party... regardless of what that party actually does. It is the #1 reason why our republic is falling.

WE HAVE TO BREAK FREE FROM THESE PARTIES AND DO BETTER! I just want our once great republic back.

Since: Aug 11

Paintsville, KY

#115832 Jun 15, 2012
Politics as usual wrote:
<quoted text>

when obama can parade around the country on campaign stops rather then doing the job he is supposed to do then something is wrong,
Seems to me he can watch Congress stall and filibuster while he's on the trail the same as he can while in Washington.
joe

Corte Madera, CA

#115833 Jun 15, 2012
nac wrote:
I honestly don't understand how anyone would support Obama again. I do understand why people fell for it last time, he was running against Bush-era war mongering, the destruction of civil liberties, Guantanamo, and a corrupt government in bed with special interests & Wall Street. We should all vote against those things.
But since being elected, what has Obama done? HE HAS grabbed the Bush baton and kept running in the same direction, while wasting, I mean spending, unimaginable amounts of money that has yet to bear any fruit.
Guantanamo is still open, remember when people hated that under Bush? But now it's become even harder to get out than it was under W, if it can be done at all. But that's ok now, the prez is cool.
We've seen him go to war in Libya without congressional approval... remember when that was "illegal" when Bush did it? Now that's ok, the prez is cool. Leon Panetta even said that they get their approval from the UN, and will "inform Congress" when they go to war. Unbelievable.
Speaking of war, his administration is doing a lot of sabre rattling with Iran. When Bush did this with Iraq, people were ashamed of their country. But now it's just fine... the prez is cool.
Again, WE ARE GOING to go to WAR WITH IRAN because MAYBE SOME DAY they will get a WMD. Most people didn't want to go to war in Iraq when the gov't said they DID HAVE WMDs, and now they'll support a war against someone that MIGHT SOMEDAY? Oh, right... it's fine, the prez is cool.
Remember when the Patriot Act was a disgusting attack on our civil liberties under W? It's still around isn't it? It's ok now? The prez must be pretty cool.
On that note, the TSA keeps expanding and becoming more invasive. In a way that Bush could only dream about. But no one cares... look at the prez shooting hoops with a celebrity!
It gets worse... on New Years eve, Obama signed the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA). In that bill is a provision stating that the government can DETAIN U.S. CITIZENS ON U.S. SOIL indefinitely ... without due process. Read that again.(Don't defend it by saying a judge recently ruled it Unconstitutional, OF COURSE IT IS!) The point is, Mr. Hope&Change SIGNED IT and thought it was just fine. If Bush did that, people would be marching in the streets.(rightfully so) But now it's fine... the prez is just so cool.
The point of this isn't to get you to vote Romney. He will continue to expand all of this (only this stuff will be on the news & everyone will be mad)... but it will continue none the less. They are OWNED BY THE SAME PEOPLE!
The point is to make people think about why we can't do better. Why are most people blindly following one of two parties, when they are both equally detrimental to Liberty, Freedom, a strong dollar, and a healthy republic?
In grade school you pledged allegiance to the flag every morning. Now most people pledge allegiance to a political party... regardless of what that party actually does. It is the #1 reason why our republic is falling.
WE HAVE TO BREAK FREE FROM THESE PARTIES AND DO BETTER! I just want our once great republic back.
Okay, so don't vote for Obama and don't vote for Romney. I hate to break it to you but those are your choices. It is about the lesser of evils and to me it's clear. Keep what we've got and hope pressure at least brings some controls on campaign finance.

The country gave the maniac Cheney/Bush two terms and they brought us to our knees. Romney works for the top 1% and can't disguise it, hard as he tries. I'm among the 99%. The choice is clear.

In case your dense like so many on this forum, I will make it plain that I agree with the jist of your post, if not all the details.
Effonefifty

Miami, FL

#115834 Jun 15, 2012
joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, so don't vote for Obama and don't vote for Romney. I hate to break it to you but those are your choices. It is about the lesser of evils and to me it's clear..
Its not even close. Obama hates the USA and Romney doesn't.
Teddy R

Reston, VA

#115835 Jun 15, 2012
okboston wrote:
<quoted text>
Taxes are an expense like any other expense. They deal with it just like they do any other expense. Now are ou going to try and declare that there is a 100% correlation between costs going up and price increases?
You're seriously claiming there is not, over the long run? That costs going up and price increases are somehow different?

Okay - this should be entertaining. Let's have your argument and supporting evidence for that, then.
Teddy R

Reston, VA

#115836 Jun 15, 2012
okboston wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, I forgot, cut regulations so we can have a repeat of the meltdown. Even after Dimon testifying in front of Congress said better regulation and oversight might have helped prevent the $2 Bil loss to JPM.
Who's proposing cutting financial regulations, OKB? Specific cites, please.

And Dimon in fact said exactly the opposite - that better regulation and oversight probably would NOT have prevented the $2 Bil loss to JPM.

The only interesting thing about Dimon's testimony is why he was testifyng at all - when the particular loss involved was purely an internal loss of their own money, involving no taxpayer or customer money, and was not nearly of a sufficient magnitude to threaten JPM's viability.

Pure political theatre - and a waste.
Teddy R

Reston, VA

#115837 Jun 15, 2012
okboston wrote:
<quoted text>
First, what you stated was false.
Prove it false, then.
okboston wrote:
<quoted text>Second, it does not apply at all to taxes paid on items that are exported.
WHAT does not apply at all to taxes paid on items that are exported?
Teddy R

Reston, VA

#115838 Jun 15, 2012
okboston wrote:
<quoted text>
Because 99.9% of what you said is historically done by all Presidents in the past. And your inability to come to your senses and pay a President of the United States and all other government officials give you what you wish for: Government by the lowest common denominator.
If you want better government, offer a wage good enough so that they don't have to woo corporations in order to make a living.
So we have OKB arguing now that public money should be used to pay one of the eeeevul uber-wealthy 0.1%-er multi-multi-millionaire class EVEN MORE??

We are vastly amused ...
Teddy R

Reston, VA

#115839 Jun 15, 2012
joe wrote:
<quoted text>
No longer interested. You're an idiot. You made the claim you bring the proof or just keep playing with yourself. I'm not interested in your little talking point life.
Move along and have a nice day.
Right.

You were pwned, fool.

Pull your pants up before you trip over them.
Teddy R

Reston, VA

#115840 Jun 15, 2012
gaytor_bayt wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems to me he can watch Congress stall and filibuster while he's on the trail the same as he can while in Washington.
Sure - since that's all he's been doing - sitting on the side, trimming sails and watching. In Obobo's case, I agree with you.

Now, if he were the REAL LEADER the Office of the President is supposed to be occupied by, it would be different ...
TSM

United States

#115841 Jun 15, 2012
Okboston you are having the same problem as Obama trying to articulate his fail policies!! Even the Press Corps said Obama speech in Ohio was not only boring but a rehash of previous speeches another words nothing New!!
Boston it wasn’t Dimon saying we needed more regulation it was Chucky Schumer saying we needed more regulation you know the guy when asked about the Three Branches of Government his answer, Senate, House, Presidency!!
joe

Corte Madera, CA

#115842 Jun 15, 2012
Teddy R wrote:
<quoted text>
Right.
You were pwned, fool.
Pull your pants up before you trip over them.
Your imagery sure revolves around the same subject matter, doesn't it.
nac

Massapequa, NY

#115843 Jun 15, 2012
joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, so don't vote for Obama and don't vote for Romney. I hate to break it to you but those are your choices. It is about the lesser of evils and to me it's clear. Keep what we've got and hope pressure at least brings some controls on campaign finance.
The country gave the maniac Cheney/Bush two terms and they brought us to our knees. Romney works for the top 1% and can't disguise it, hard as he tries. I'm among the 99%. The choice is clear.
In case your dense like so many on this forum, I will make it plain that I agree with the jist of your post, if not all the details.
You've missed the entire point of my post. Both of these parties are harming the country. Research the examples I used, they are ALL true.

Just because we had 8 years of the tyrant from the party you root against, should not mean we should have 8 years of the tyrant from the party that you sadly root for.

My point is that the whole system is a mirage. The left/right paradigm is false. Look into the things I wrote and it will become clear to you.
joe

Corte Madera, CA

#115844 Jun 15, 2012
nac wrote:
<quoted text>
You've missed the entire point of my post. Both of these parties are harming the country. Research the examples I used, they are ALL true.
Just because we had 8 years of the tyrant from the party you root against, should not mean we should have 8 years of the tyrant from the party that you sadly root for.
My point is that the whole system is a mirage. The left/right paradigm is false. Look into the things I wrote and it will become clear to you.
I didn't miss your point. What I said (to paraphrase) is what is your alternative for November?
nac

United States

#115845 Jun 15, 2012
joe wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't miss your point. What I said (to paraphrase) is what is your alternative for November?
There is little hope for this election, as most Americans are still sound asleep. Everyone is distracted arguing about political football issues while BOTH PARTIES further the agenda of war, destroying civil liberties, and devaluing the dollar.

We all have to work at waking people up to this, and in November we need to STOP VOTING for republicans and democrats. We have to rise up and take our republic back from the bankers that own our politicians and government.

Again, we're not likely to accomplish anything other than electing a tyrant this Nov. but we need to spread the message of liberty anyway.
1 post removed
joe

Corte Madera, CA

#115847 Jun 15, 2012
nac wrote:
<quoted text>
There is little hope for this election, as most Americans are still sound asleep. Everyone is distracted arguing about political football issues while BOTH PARTIES further the agenda of war, destroying civil liberties, and devaluing the dollar.
We all have to work at waking people up to this, and in November we need to STOP VOTING for republicans and democrats. We have to rise up and take our republic back from the bankers that own our politicians and government.
Again, we're not likely to accomplish anything other than electing a tyrant this Nov. but we need to spread the message of liberty anyway.
So, presuming everything you wrote is true, your idea is to not vote in this upcoming election, is that right?
nac

United States

#115848 Jun 15, 2012
joe wrote:
<quoted text>
So, presuming everything you wrote is true, your idea is to not vote in this upcoming election, is that right?
Everything I wrote is true and on record. Even if the media ignores something, it can still be true.

I will be voting, just not for republicans or democrats.
TSM

United States

#115849 Jun 15, 2012
nac wrote:
<quoted text>
Everything I wrote is true and on record. Even if the media ignores something, it can still be true.
I will be voting, just not for republicans or democrats.
So other words you’re not going to vote for the Top of the Ticket…Right?
finding

Paragould, AR

#115850 Jun 15, 2012
TSM wrote:
Obama’s accomplishments … debt, 15.5 trillion, deficits, trillion plus, youth employment 23 year low, 1out 2 college grads find employment, 1-15 Americans fall in to extreme poverty; this is what Liberals/Democrats embrace as success!!
Now he is going to give the young illegals the jobs. He comes up with a boo boo every week. Gay's mirriage,then he said the private sector is doing good, now this illegal thing, we still have enough time for him to hang himself.
finding

Paragould, AR

#115851 Jun 15, 2012
joe wrote:
<quoted text>
This election is far to imporant not to vote.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Democrats silent on whether Trump should resign... 1 min Retribution 9
News Former OKC Mayor blames homosexuality for moral... 12 min hey now 113
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 20 min Susanm 322,230
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 56 min Impeach 46,818
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 hr Reality Check 1,658,349
News Countdown clock ticking for Trump, Republicans 1 hr Concave 53
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 1 hr Frindly 14,881
News Trump should resign amid sexual assault claims:... 6 hr Lawrence Wolf 52
More from around the web