Martin family attorney wanted a better jury

There are 20 comments on the CBS News story from Jul 14, 2013, titled Martin family attorney wanted a better jury. In it, CBS News reports that:

Bob Schieffer reflects that "America has always led best when we led by example," but it's struggling to do that now.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBS News.

Rambeaux

Philadelphia, PA

#655 Jul 25, 2013
-Dont Panic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Can federal charges be brought against Zimmerman?
http://blogs.reuters.com/great-debate/2013/07...
No! Not unless it can be proven that Zimmerman said:"Ahm gonna git me a colored boy".
spocko

Oakland, CA

#656 Jul 25, 2013
MD Conservative wrote:
<quoted text>
SYG Law was not in the instructions to jury. I already posted the 27 page instructions. It clearly stated Self-Defense.
Zimmerman was found not guilty on grounds of self-defense.
You are wrong, the judge state so herself, when the SYG was past the jury instructions completely changed leaving the jurors no choice but to acquit!

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#657 Jul 25, 2013
spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
You are wrong, the judge state so herself, when the SYG was past the jury instructions completely changed leaving the jurors no choice but to acquit!
If you watched the trial, with an open mind, was there ever any other verdict? Screw SYG, this was textbook Self Defense....
3 posts removed

“Liberty & Justice For All”

Since: Aug 11

United States of America

#661 Jul 25, 2013
-Dont Panic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Can federal charges be brought against Zimmerman?
http://blogs.reuters.com/great-debate/2013/07...
Great article. Thanks for posting the link.

United States of America

#662 Jul 25, 2013
Stand Your Ground? Black Woman Fires Shot Gets 20 Years - White Man Kills And Goes Free - WTF

In light of the George Zimmerman/Trayvon Martin case, let's take a look at how the Stand Your Ground law has been working for Florida these days:
If you're an older white man and you catch your wife cheating on you with another man, you get to kill him, then go free.
If you're a black woman and you fire a warning shot to scare off a physically abusive husband who's aggressively coming at you, after saying, "If I can't have you, no one will," then you get to go to prison for 20 years.

There are so many things wrong here I'm not sure where to begin, but racism, sexism, and bigotry jump right out there to the top of the list. And I think it's fair to say, Stand Your Ground laws work for some, but not others...
This past March, Ralph Wald, 70, got up in the middle of the night, saw his wife Johanna Lynn Flores, 41, in the living room, the arms of his neighbor, Walter Conley, 32. Wald grabbed his gun and shot Conley in the back, three times, killing him. Ward later claimed he thought Conley, a known lover of his wife's, was raping her. He used the the Stand Your Ground law to bypass justice. On May 30, Ralph Wald walked out of court a free man.

It would seem nothing good could come from the above case, but something did. The Ward case brought renewed attention to one of most racist out-of-judicial-whack-job cases in Florida courts.

Three years ago after a 31-year old mother of three, Marissa Alexander, acted in self-defense killing and injuring no one, she received a 20-year conviction. Within 12 minutes, the jury found her guilty of aggravated assault, even though her estranged abusive husband admitted in his deposition, she had every right to do what she did.

The Miami Herald reported: The “victim,” in this twisted tale of Florida justice, was Rico Gray, a 245-pound Jacksonville truck driver with a proclivity for domestic violence.
The “criminal,” the woman sentenced to 20 years of hard time on May 11, was his wife, Marissa Alexander, five feet, two inches tall and slight enough, as Gray mentioned in his pre-trial deposition, that on two occasions he tossed her from their house without much physical exertion.“She’s a little person so it doesn’t take much for me to pick her up and tote her out my front door .&#8201;.&#8201;. You know, I pretty much picked her up and throwed her out.”

“I honestly think she just didn’t want me to put my hands on her anymore so she did what she feel like she have to do to make sure she wouldn’t get hurt, you know. You know, she did what she had to do.”

He said,“The gun was never actually pointed at me. When she raised the gun down and raised it up, you know, the gun was never pointed at me. The fact is, you know .&#8201;.&#8201;. she never been violent toward me. I was always the one starting it. If she was violent toward me, it was because she was trying to get me up off her or stop me from doing.”

Gray’s deposition might have read like a confession of a husband charged with domestic violence, but it was Marissa Alexander who was convicted in April 2010, after a Duval circuit judge rejected her Stand Your Ground defense. The judge decided that Alexander could have fled instead of running into the garage and fetching the pistol from her car.“This is inconsistent with a person in genuine fear of his or her life,” the judge ruled — illustrating, if nothing else, that the effectiveness of the controversial self-defense statute varies wildly from one Florida circuit to the next.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/06/12/1215...
Dee Dee Dee

Anonymous Proxy

#663 Jul 25, 2013
Let the blacks shoot each other.
2 posts removed

United States of America

#666 Jul 25, 2013
Zimmerman juror from Chicago speaks out: He 'got away with murder'

The lone minority member of the jury that acquitted George Zimmerman says Zimmerman "got away with murder" in the killing of teenager Trayvon Martin.

In an interview with ABC News scheduled to air Thursday evening, the woman identified as Juror B29 said she feels she owes an apology to Trayvon's parents over the verdict that touched off protest demonstrations around the country.

The juror said the six-member all-female jury followed Florida law and found the evidence did not warrant a murder conviction...

....Maddy said she favored convicting Zimmerman of second degree murder when the jury began its deliberations.

"I was the juror that was going to give them the hung jury. I fought to the end," she said.

After nine hours of discussion about the evidence, however, Maddy said she concluded there wasn't enough proof to convict of murder or the lesser charge of manslaughter under Florida state law.

She said she "felt confused" because "if a person kills someone, then you get charged for it.''

"But as the law was read to me, if you have no proof that he killed him intentionally, you can't say he's guilty,'' she added.

Zimmerman, who did not testify in his own defense, contended he shot and killed Martin out of self defense during a confrontation in a neighborhood of Sanford, Fla., on Feb. 26, 2012.

She said she has wrestled with whether she made the right decision.

"I felt like I let a lot of people down, and I'm thinking to myself,'Did I go the right way? Did I go the wrong way?'" she said.

She said she owes an apology to the victim's parents because she feels "I let them down.''

"It's hard for me to sleep, it's hard for me to eat,'' she said. "...I'm hurting as much (as) Trayvon Martin's mother because there's no way that any mother should feel that pain.''

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2013/07/25...
Cat74

Barrington, IL

#667 Jul 25, 2013
If the minority juror believed Zimmerman guilty they were obligated to keep it open, and shut,
Truth

United States

#668 Jul 25, 2013
Voice of Reality wrote:
<quoted text>Actually, no, shooting somebody is legal when it is done in self defense or the defense of another who is in immediate danger of being killed. It is also legal in the defense of your domicile.

The only issues that came into play in this case was as to whether George Zimmerman felt in direct fear for his life and the rule of the escalation of force. Issue number one is one of the hardest things to prove or disprove in the fact that fear for one's life is in the mind of the person in fear. If Trayvon Martin is on top of Chuck Norris attempting to bash his head I am sure that Chuck Norris does not fear for his life. George Zimmerman is another issue. Point number two, there is a unwritten law that during a fight you have a perfect right to escalate the use of force by one. You hit me with your fist and I get to get a stick, you get a stick and I get my knife. With George Zimmerman, when Martin reached for his gun Zimmerman got the right to use it before Martin could.
These idiots don't understand the law or the facts in the case.
Truth

United States

#669 Jul 25, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
Zimmerman juror from Chicago speaks out: He 'got away with murder'

The lone minority member of the jury that acquitted George Zimmerman says Zimmerman "got away with murder" in the killing of teenager Trayvon Martin.

In an interview with ABC News scheduled to air Thursday evening, the woman identified as Juror B29 said she feels she owes an apology to Trayvon's parents over the verdict that touched off protest demonstrations around the country.

The juror said the six-member all-female jury followed Florida law and found the evidence did not warrant a murder conviction...

....Maddy said she favored convicting Zimmerman of second degree murder when the jury began its deliberations.

"I was the juror that was going to give them the hung jury. I fought to the end," she said.

After nine hours of discussion about the evidence, however, Maddy said she concluded there wasn't enough proof to convict of murder or the lesser charge of manslaughter under Florida state law.

She said she "felt confused" because "if a person kills someone, then you get charged for it.''

"But as the law was read to me, if you have no proof that he killed him intentionally, you can't say he's guilty,'' she added.

Zimmerman, who did not testify in his own defense, contended he shot and killed Martin out of self defense during a confrontation in a neighborhood of Sanford, Fla., on Feb. 26, 2012.

She said she has wrestled with whether she made the right decision.

"I felt like I let a lot of people down, and I'm thinking to myself,'Did I go the right way? Did I go the wrong way?'" she said.

She said she owes an apology to the victim's parents because she feels "I let them down.''

"It's hard for me to sleep, it's hard for me to eat,'' she said. "...I'm hurting as much (as) Trayvon Martin's mother because there's no way that any mother should feel that pain.''

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2013/07/25...
She went the right way. The jury did a great job. NOT GUILTY.
Adele

Newark, NJ

#670 Jul 25, 2013
The world will end on September 31st
2013. If you add up all the periods....
That is the number of years from beginning to end.I'm not talking about a womans monthly period, this is all the periods that end a sentence in the bible. Add them up and see the truth
for yourself. Please help me to continue this ministry to help warn the world by sending your donations .
1 post removed

United States of America

#672 Jul 25, 2013
Over one million signatures collected in 3 days for the DOJ petition to prosecute George Zimmerman on federal charges.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/07/...
1 post removed
NoMoreUSA

Woodleaf, NC

#674 Jul 25, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
Over one million signatures collected in 3 days for the DOJ petition to prosecute George Zimmerman on federal charges.
GOOD! That'll make them easier to hunt down! Zimmerman will thank the lowlife filth too, because there will be no trumped up federal charges, and just for the sake of argument, even if there were Zimmerman would score yet another win, and the Countersuit he would file in response to that would make him Millions more than he is already going to make on the first wrongful prosecution suit! We need ALL of you lowlife bastards to show yourselves! BY God DO IT NOW! Aw, and for the ones out ther wanting to riot in 100 cities? Try that shit here PA-LEEEEEAAASE try that shit here so we can nmow your sorry asses down in one fell swoop and burn the pile of you in place! I EMPLORE you to.
1 post removed

United States of America

#676 Jul 25, 2013
NoMoreUSA wrote:
<quoted text>
GOOD! That'll make them easier to hunt down! Zimmerman will thank the lowlife filth too, because there will be no trumped up federal charges, and just for the sake of argument, even if there were Zimmerman would score yet another win, and the Countersuit he would file in response to that would make him Millions more than he is already going to make on the first wrongful prosecution suit! We need ALL of you lowlife bastards to show yourselves! BY God DO IT NOW! Aw, and for the ones out ther wanting to riot in 100 cities? Try that shit here PA-LEEEEEAAASE try that shit here so we can nmow your sorry asses down in one fell swoop and burn the pile of you in place! I EMPLORE you to.
Run along, bubba. You're going to be late for your Klan meeting. Don't forget your sheet and hood now....
Adele

Washington, DC

#677 Jul 25, 2013
Voice of Reality wrote:
<quoted text>
Jessie Jackson is posting on this thread.
Jessie is busy with his next gig at MSNBC, it's called Waco in the morning and will replace the joe Scarborough morning moron show.

Remember to count your periods.
i see oj

Virginia Beach, VA

#678 Jul 25, 2013
Voice of Reality wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you sure that was not the names in the so called Million Man March?
No, because then there would only be 350,000 signatures......
2 posts removed
Adele

Washington, DC

#681 Jul 25, 2013
I feel like a midget when I go out, mall,
grocery store, you name it, everywere I go it's obesity. Come on america, wake up and do whats right for you.don't you know that gluttony is a sin and Saint Peter will not let you through the pearly gates until you spend 20000 years in purgatory to lose
all that fat. Even your doctor wants you
dead because he can't stand looking at
you.......start counting your day's. And
periods.
1 post removed

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#683 Jul 25, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
DID YOUR HAND CRAMP UP, REAL BAD?.....Thought so.....
2 posts removed
i see oj

Virginia Beach, VA

#686 Jul 25, 2013
Kentucky Liberal Liar wrote:
<quoted text>Actually I think what you have here is a person who now fears for her own life for being part of the jury and what's to run away from it as fast as she can.
I wonder how many times her family and friends have called her a sellout so far..........
guess who

Sterling, CO

#687 Jul 25, 2013
One trial and one jury!!! If you don't care for that system go to Africa!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min woodtick57 1,223,269
News Obama's Presidential Library Will be Built in C... 4 min sandy1 3
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 5 min woodtick57 325,961
News 5 Reasons The American Dream Is Eluding Black P... 6 min PolakPotrafi 1,014
News Look who's speaking Spanish: It's the 2016 Repu... 6 min Mothra 42
News House adopts compromise GOP budget targeting 'O... 7 min RustyS 14
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 8 min Jacques Ottawa 187,698
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 8 min Sunshine 180,103
News Riots in Baltimore raise questions about police... 36 min Spaulding Smails 399
News Rand Paul: Societal problems in Baltimore inclu... 53 min serfs up 132
More from around the web