Asian-American voters show growing clout, leftward turn

Nov 9, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Santa Cruz Sentinel

A historic Latino turnout helped turn America's electoral tide toward the re-election of President Barack Obama, but Republicans also have another fast-growing group of voters to worry about in future elections: Asian-Americans. Exit polls are showing at least 70 percent of Asian-American voters chose Obama, a sign that the nation's fastest-growing ... (more)

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 40 of44
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
To libertarian

Port Chester, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2012

Judged:

Texas is not thriving, what are you smoking? Your education system is running major deficits due to educating children of illegals.
You have water problems.
Your chemical companies, oil companies, and food industries own your asses.

Here's a good blog:
http://lubbockonline.com/interact/blog-post/c...

Also, I heard Austin, Texas is just one giant road strip of endless malls.

I'm not bashing Texas, but don't be oblivious. http://www.zompist.com/libertos.html Also if you're conservative but still want government then you're not a libertarian. Libertarians want no government, a.k.a anarchy. We have government b/c we believe people can compromise non-violently.

And clearly the market did not work itself after the removal of the Glass Steagall Act. Criminals are too sneaky, government is needed in many cases: industrial pollution, for profit colleges, etc.

Cite me examples how Texas is the best.
Aussie Bob

Adelaide, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2012

Human Revolution wrote:
<quoted text>White Anglo-Saxon Protestant
Thank you for the insight. Much appreciated. Wasp clearly has negative connotations in the USA & I find that extremely disturbing. Extremely tough times ahead for the backwards US of A.
Human Revolution

Newark, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2012

Aussie Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for the insight. Much appreciated. Wasp clearly has negative connotations in the USA & I find that extremely disturbing. Extremely tough times ahead for the backwards US of A.
Backwards? Have you heard the stereotypes attributed to your country?

Since: May 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Judged:

nym8387 wrote:
<quoted text>let me guess your the son/ daughter of illegals? Your talking out of your a$$
You guessed wrong. My parents were born in the USA. My father served in the US military (as did I).

And my point stands.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Judged:

To libertarian wrote:
Texas is not thriving, what are you smoking?
The Texas economy is doing far better than most. Texas didn't experience anywhere near the problems that many other states did during the housing crisis and recession.

The blog you cited (citing a blog? Really? Why not just cite some drunk in a bar someplace, it's about as accurate) pointed to Texas "problems" most of which seemed to be related to the fact that Texas spends less than most states on big government social programs. You may see that as a "bad" thing. I do not.
Researcher

Killeen, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

nym8387 wrote:
Exit polls are bogus don't kid yourself.
I can certainly understand why somebody who believed anything that was reported on FOX would have to doubt polls, especially those taken by Republicans.

Republican polls predicted a landsclide for Romney.
Researcher

Killeen, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

How about these numbers from a Texas report?

( http://www.window.state.tx.us/specialrpt/tif/... )

Per capita income

TX -$25,548
U.S. average -$27,915

Household income
TX$50,920
U.S. average -$52,762

Percent below poverty level
TX 17.0%
U.S. average -14.3%

Nearly 30 percent of Texas households had incomes of less than $25,000 in 2005, while another 28 percent had incomes between $25,000 and $49,99

Texas is BELOW NATIONAL AVERAGES ON ALMOST EVERY MEASUREMENT EXCEPT POVERTY.

High school or higher education

TX 80.4%
U.S. average -85.4%

Bachelor's degree or higher, percent of persons age 25+, 2007-2011

TX -26.1%
U.S. average - 28.2
polski kielbasa

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Of course a politician born in Hawaii and raised in Indonesia would win the support of Asians. He is one of them.

That is why double digit unemployment rates amongst blacks and hispanics does not really concern him. He would prefer the jobs all be outsourced to east Asia anyway.
new hammer time

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Judged:

libertarian4321 wrote:
<quoted text>
The Texas economy is doing far better than most. Texas didn't experience anywhere near the problems that many other states did during the housing crisis and recession.
The blog you cited (citing a blog? Really? Why not just cite some drunk in a bar someplace, it's about as accurate) pointed to Texas "problems" most of which seemed to be related to the fact that Texas spends less than most states on big government social programs. You may see that as a "bad" thing. I do not.
TX will be overrun with Mexicans in 10 years and you old white men will be the minority. Change is coming any your ppl. will be left holding a bag of oil.
Rico the Tom Cat

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

GlowCock wrote:
Obama will force gay sex down our throats (pun not intended)
When the gays marry, western civilization will fall and the soviets will invade and enslave us
At the rate that Republicans are coming out of the closet... you'll be romancing the golden kielbasa in no time.
Researcher

Killeen, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Judged:

To libertarian wrote:
Texas is not thriving, what are you smoking? Your education system is running major deficits due to educating children of illegals.
You have water problems.
Your chemical companies, oil companies, and food industries own your asses.
Cite me examples how Texas is the best.
Leave it to cartoonist to tell it exactly as it is"

A conversation between two political consultants:

"So, how do we make the case for Texas seceding?"

"Check out the petition text: it's filled with errors in syntax, usage and punctuation, yet over 120,000 Texas signed it!"

"Wow, that's amazing!"

So, losing Texas dramatically improves the gene pool. THAT'S our angle!"

from Doonesbury, 12/13/12
Human Revolution

Lebanon, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Researcher wrote:
<quoted text>
Leave it to cartoonist to tell it exactly as it is"
A conversation between two political consultants:
"So, how do we make the case for Texas seceding?"
"Check out the petition text: it's filled with errors in syntax, usage and punctuation, yet over 120,000 Texas signed it!"
"Wow, that's amazing!"
So, losing Texas dramatically improves the gene pool. THAT'S our angle!"
from Doonesbury, 12/13/12
You do realize your location is TX?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

Researcher wrote:
How about these numbers from a Texas report?
( http://www.window.state.tx.us/specialrpt/tif/... )
Per capita income
TX -$25,548
U.S. average -$27,915
Household income
TX$50,920
U.S. average -$52,762
Percent below poverty level
TX 17.0%
U.S. average -14.3%
Yes, Texas is SLIGHTLY below average in household income.

But have to look at it in context- considering the cost of living.

The cost of living in Texas is ridiculously low. Gas is cheap, energy is cheap, food is cheap, labor is cheap, taxes are low. Housing and property costs are extremely low, even in the major cities. I travel a lot, and when I go to states like CA or NY I almost fall over when I see how much things cost, from a loaf of bread to a house, compared to what you'd pay in Texas.

In other words,$51,000 in Texas goes a HELL OF A LOT FURTHER than $52,800 will generally go in the rest of the country.

And yeah, much of that low cost advantage we enjoy here in Texas is because illegals are willing to work for wages that wouldn't even get most lazy Americans out of bed.

There is a reason people are flocking to Texas and not moving to high cost coastal states even though those coastal states have higher gross incomes. People aren't stupid. They know they can buy a decent house here for $100k even in a city, whereas they'd pay 3, 4, 5, or more times that amount for a similar home in one of those "high income" states even after the housing bust.

For those of you who think Texas economy is based on oil and cattle, you need to stop basing your knowledge of Texas on 35 year old reruns of "Dallas."

Sure, oil and cattle/agriculture are still important in Texas, but the growth in recent years has largely been in tech, international trade, manufacturing, energy (and not just old school stuff like gas and oil, Texas is far and away the national leader in wind power production).

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

new hammer time wrote:
<quoted text>
TX will be overrun with Mexicans in 10 years and you old white men will be the minority. Change is coming any your ppl. will be left holding a bag of oil.
I live in San Antonio, which has been majority Hispanic since probably forever (it's currently about 26% Anglo and 63% Hispanic).

So what? My neighbors are Hispanic, which just means I'll be eating enchiladas instead of pizza when I go over their house to watch the Spurs game. No big deal, I like enchiladas better anyway (preferably chicken, with green sauce and cheese- muy delicioso!).
To Libertarian

Port Chester, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2012

"$51,000 in Texas goes a HELL OF A LOT FURTHER than $52,800 will generally go in the rest of the country."

But as mentioned before, your state average salary is 25k. That's not going to get very far anywhere.

And yeah, much of that low cost advantage we enjoy here in Texas is because illegals are willing to work for wages that wouldn't even get most lazy Americans out of bed.

Does that include services we don't need? There are already too many restaurants, too many lawns, etc. Also, illegals only make employers happy b/c they can pay crap wages. They provide never ending supply of cheap labor.

There is a reason people are flocking to Texas and not moving to high cost coastal states even though those coastal states have higher gross incomes....

The only reason is b/c people are overtaxed in areas like LA, New York, etc. B/c most of the non-rich regions have been converted to crap by illegals.

Sure, oil and cattle/agriculture are still important in Texas, but the growth in recent years has largely been in tech, international trade, manufacturing, energy (and not just old school stuff like gas and oil, Texas is far and away the national leader in wind power production).

And how much of Texas industries are tied to the military industry and farm subsidies? Texas is known as a welfare state of the federal government.

Texas pays its teachers too low.
http://www.window.state.tx.us/specialrpt/teac...

Food insecurity, pollution in water, most hazardous waste,
http://lubbockonline.com/interact/blog-post/c...

Child sex trafficking
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/a...

Yeah, you keep being smug about your sinning state.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

To Libertarian wrote:
Food insecurity, pollution in water, most hazardous waste,
Yes, Texas generates a lot of Haz Waste (that doesn't mean it's released, btw). That is not unexpected since Texas has a huge population and has huge oil and chemical industries. That does NOT mean Texas is heavily polluted.

People can play with numbers and give any impression they want. I notice you didn't mention that San Antonio (that's in Texas, fyi) is the largest city in the USA to comply with the CAA ozone rules (in other words, it's got clean air for a large city).

I'm an environmental engineer. I live in Texas, but I do consulting work all over the country. Texas ain't even close to a lot of other states when it comes to pollution, and the areas of Texas that do have pollution problems are limited to a tiny portion of this vast state (e.g. areas with major refineries, generally along the gulf coast).
To libertarian

Port Chester, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

FYI, I would like to visit Texas. However, are you going to keep avoiding the topics I mentioned. I don't need numbers to know that:
1. Some illegal immigrants take shit jobs that no one wants especially in the meat and farming industry.
2. Some Rich Republicans love leeching off illegal labor and playing the blame game as you said "Lazy Americans".
3. Texas has a severe water issue. How is that going to play out in the future?
4. And I bet you a pushover for major polluting industries.
Since you're a libertarian, do you embrace Ayn Rand?

http://www.texastribune.org/2010/06/03/is-the...
1 post removed

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

To libertarian wrote:
FYI, I would like to visit Texas. However, are you going to keep avoiding the topics I mentioned. I don't need numbers to know that:
1. Some illegal immigrants take shit jobs that no one wants especially in the meat and farming industry.
Yup, they do. Which is great. Keeps costs down and gives them jobs they need to support their families.

"2. Some Rich Republicans love leeching off illegal labor and playing the blame game as you said "Lazy Americans"."

Maybe. I can't speak for Republicans.

"3. Texas has a severe water issue. How is that going to play out in the future?"

That's something people here argue about all the time. Some run around screaming "the sky is falling, the sky is falling!" Others claim we have far more water than we need. The truth is probably somewhere between.

"4. And I bet you a pushover for major polluting industries.
Since you're a libertarian, do you embrace Ayn Rand?"

I'm not a regulator. I'm an engineer/consultant. I help government agencies and industry clean up existing pollution and help them avoid future problems.

I was a libertarian long before I read Rand. Frankly, I don't like her novels at all. Far too verbose and with poorly developed characters that are often ridiculously one dimensional. Makes her stuff painful to read.
Basil 78

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

GlowCock wrote:
Obama will force gay sex down our throats (pun not intended)
When the gays marry, western civilization will fall and the soviets will invade and enslave us
OMFG!! YOU F**K HEAD!! LIKE "GAY SEX" WILL MAKE YOUR TROLL AZZ DISAPPEAR!!
YOU PROLLY F**K YOUR CHILD OR PET!
I'D RATHER BE WITH A WOMAN THAN YOUR SORRY AZZ!!
UidiotraceMAkewo rldpeace

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

RePukeLIEcons
ANd DEMONcRats!

Both corrupted and failed the Americans people, big time MTF!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of44
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••