People do not need assault weapons: d...

People do not need assault weapons: defense secretary

There are 4995 comments on the Reuters story from Jan 17, 2013, titled People do not need assault weapons: defense secretary. In it, Reuters reports that:

Defense Secretary Leon Panetta joined the gun control debate on Thursday when he told troops at a military base in Italy that only soldiers needed armor-piercing bullets or assault weapons.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Reuters.

“Stop the Brain Rot”

Since: Jan 12

Take a Looonng Vacation

#629 Jan 21, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not any way shape or form like tea baggers.
They were Vets.
Well-said. Armed veterans with real grievances against local corruption aren't anything like elderly white folks with teabags on their hats who whine about paying taxes and 'Negro' Presidents.
Rebel Against Tyranny

Fruitport, MI

#630 Jan 21, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove that it EVER happened, liar. I'm calling BS on that bogus claim.
Incidentally, our Founders wanted people to have guns so they could form militias, and we wouldn't need a massive regular army. Washington USED the state militias to go after the Whiskey Rebellion, incidentally - a rebellion staged by a bunch of idiots remarkably like Teabaggers!
Heh
Well, it should be simple for you to provide plenty of examples where a nationwide total gun registration program was NOT followed by confiscation.

Don't try to put it back on me that you are incapable of proving me wrong. You can't prove me wrong because I'm not.
Darius

Long Beach, CA

#631 Jan 21, 2013
CC Ryder wrote:
<quoted text>
Aren't they kind of doing that already??
You're not kiddin, when I moved into this house I had to pull off the water-saver shower head and drill bigger holes in it so I could get wet.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#632 Jan 21, 2013
Rebel Against Tyranny wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, it should be simple for you to provide plenty of examples where a nationwide total gun registration program was NOT followed by confiscation.
No, Sweetie, if you want to make an assertion, you have to back the assertion.

It is rather stupid for you to make an assertion for someone else and then insist that he has to prove your assertion you invented.

Do you want to give it another shot?

PS: Machine guns are registered in the US.

When did they begin the confiscation of all the machine guns?

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#633 Jan 21, 2013
Rebel Against Tyranny wrote:
<quoted text>
Switzerland registers their guns.

Can you point to the nationwide confiscation?

When does that begin?

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#634 Jan 21, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't. I never said that you should have to register to vote. You shouldn't. The only thing you should have to do is prove you are who you say you are to prevent stuffing the ballot boxes.
Along those same lines, I should not have to obtain permission to exercise a constitutional right. ANY right.
No right is absolute or without restrictions.

Tawas City, Michigan

#635 Jan 21, 2013
Wow, a LOT of you people are going to absolutely hate the next 4 years. That's part of the reason I voted for Obama!
Tray

Etta, MS

#636 Jan 21, 2013
Buffalo Bull wrote:
<quoted text>
it is a reason why SOME people should be given LICENSE to own guns.
There are some people who should NEVER own a gun.
There is nothing more sacred to democracy than the right to vote.
No one argues that voting should take place with out regulation.
I have to register to vote. That fact does not compromise my rights.
Why do you believe your gun is more sacred than my vote.
YOU have to register to vote but your vote its self does not. How would you like to have to apply for a permit (government permission) to vote? Your vote is your choice without having to provide a reason for your vote or a need to vote or cast your ballet for any party or person. No state or government entity can tell you that you must have a need before being "allowed" to vote. ALL guns are serial numbered and a record is kept from the factory to the retailer to the customer. That is law already. An ID is required at the time of purchase. Your name, address, SSN, all goes on the paper work for purchase and kept for EACH purchase. So there is already many times more regulation on the right to keep and bear than there is on voting. Did you go through a background check, fill out paper work, get a permit or license before posting with your free speech? People like you should not be given permission to vote or have the ability to speak in public.
Tray

Etta, MS

#637 Jan 21, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
No right is absolute or without restrictions.
Then it would not be called a right. Rights predate governments or require permission from any other group. Blacks were refused rights but do they now still require permission to use them? The truth is the government is the one with restrictions. The government was granted powers by the people but only the powers granted all others are retained (had them before the government existed) by the people. You know all this already but insist on continuing to shovel crap that you know to be a lie. Why?

“Registered Conservative”

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#638 Jan 21, 2013
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> YOU have to register to vote but your vote its self does not. How would you like to have to apply for a permit (government permission) to vote? Your vote is your choice without having to provide a reason for your vote or a need to vote or cast your ballet for any party or person. No state or government entity can tell you that you must have a need before being "allowed" to vote. ALL guns are serial numbered and a record is kept from the factory to the retailer to the customer. That is law already. An ID is required at the time of purchase. Your name, address, SSN, all goes on the paper work for purchase and kept for EACH purchase. So there is already many times more regulation on the right to keep and bear than there is on voting. Did you go through a background check, fill out paper work, get a permit or license before posting with your free speech? People like you should not be given permission to vote or have the ability to speak in public.
Do private party sales of guns need to be registered?

“Registered Conservative”

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#639 Jan 21, 2013
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> YOU have to register to vote but your vote its self does not. How would you like to have to apply for a permit (government permission) to vote? Your vote is your choice without having to provide a reason for your vote or a need to vote or cast your ballet for any party or person. No state or government entity can tell you that you must have a need before being "allowed" to vote. ALL guns are serial numbered and a record is kept from the factory to the retailer to the customer. That is law already. An ID is required at the time of purchase. Your name, address, SSN, all goes on the paper work for purchase and kept for EACH purchase. So there is already many times more regulation on the right to keep and bear than there is on voting. Did you go through a background check, fill out paper work, get a permit or license before posting with your free speech? People like you should not be given permission to vote or have the ability to speak in public.
Why should he not be allowed to vote, or speak in public?

“O'er the land of the free ? ”

Since: Jan 09

Don't Tread On Me

#640 Jan 21, 2013
Buffalo Bull wrote:
<quoted text>
Name me the Republican leader that attempts to bring people together...
47 % Romney?
Legitimate rape Aiken and Murdock?
please...be serious
Cantor and Rubio and Powell.

All have been in opposition to the Speaker but I am not a Republican .

“O'er the land of the free ? ”

Since: Jan 09

Don't Tread On Me

#641 Jan 21, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Switzerland registers their guns.
Can you point to the nationwide confiscation?
When does that begin?
The guns are the government's to begin with , then after a set number of years you can buy your issued rifle.

The Swiss are hardly a brave people having disbanded their Army when faced with the thought of having to fight the Nazis.

They were very happy to trade the stolen gold of the Nazis for Swiss Franks enabling the German war machine to carry on.

Tawas City, Michigan

#642 Jan 21, 2013
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> Then it would not be called a right. Rights predate governments or require permission from any other group. Blacks were refused rights but do they now still require permission to use them? The truth is the government is the one with restrictions. The government was granted powers by the people but only the powers granted all others are retained (had them before the government existed) by the people. You know all this already but insist on continuing to shovel crap that you know to be a lie. Why?
You're just ignorant.

Can you say whatever you want whenever you want wherever you want whomever you want without any legal consequence because you have freedom of speech?

Can you own a machine gun with no restrictions?
Tray

Etta, MS

#643 Jan 21, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
It is rather stupid for you to make an assertion for someone else and then insist that he has to prove your assertion you invented.
Actually if you make an assertion then it is up to someone else to challenge that assertion with proof. Then the person who made the assertion can counter with proof. Both are rarely able to do so. Oh course you know this because you have been proven to be a liar so many times.
Tray

Etta, MS

#644 Jan 21, 2013
General Robert E Lee wrote:
<quoted text>
Do private party sales of guns need to be registered?
Being as "arms" are a right NO permission is required. If you have a right it is your but if you let someone take that right then it was your choice to let them. The right still exists but you just chose not to defend it.
Tray

Etta, MS

#645 Jan 21, 2013
General Robert E Lee wrote:
<quoted text>
Why should he not be allowed to vote, or speak in public?
If someone feels they can limit my rights then can't I limit theirs?
Tray

Etta, MS

#646 Jan 21, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
False. Some are registered. The majority are not, just the owners are not stupid enough to tell the NAZI's.
Tray

Etta, MS

#647 Jan 21, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
You're just ignorant.
Can you say whatever you want whenever you want wherever you want whomever you want without any legal consequence because you have freedom of speech?
Can you own a machine gun with no restrictions?
Yes I can. Watch. You are a fool. See. I hate to inform you but more people own machine guns unregistered than registered.

Since: Aug 12

Buffalo, NY

#648 Jan 21, 2013
Where Is My America wrote:
<quoted text>Cantor and Rubio and Powell.
All have been in opposition to the Speaker but I am not a Republican .
Cantor is far too political and ideological
Rubio does seem to be far less feverish, being a tea bagger will count against him as a bridge builder
Powell is a respected moderate and would have a chance

The one name unmentioned is the only GOP'er who seemes electable and rational after the storm was Christie
The man most likely to united the country would be Powell,but idon't beloeve his support for Obama will be forgiven

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News GOP victory lap after Georgia election win will... 1 min spud 96
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 2 min Truth is might 314,662
News POLL: Americans Trust James Comey Over Trump 14 min Ronald 506
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 18 min NTMD8OR 274,626
News Trump blasts Mueller obstruction probe on Twitter 19 min spud 112
News Wheelchair users dragged away from McConnell's ... 25 min huntcoyotes 43
News Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins another term (Nov '10) 28 min Truth is might 24,364
News James Comey fired as FBI director 41 min huntcoyotes 3,894
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 hr Grey Ghost 1,548,259
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 3 hr Ms Sassy 6,878
More from around the web