People do not need assault weapons: d...

People do not need assault weapons: defense secretary

There are 4995 comments on the Reuters story from Jan 17, 2013, titled People do not need assault weapons: defense secretary. In it, Reuters reports that:

Defense Secretary Leon Panetta joined the gun control debate on Thursday when he told troops at a military base in Italy that only soldiers needed armor-piercing bullets or assault weapons.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Reuters.

nope

Huntsville, AL

#542 Jan 20, 2013
Brad wrote:
<quoted text>
Typical liberal defending the indefensible.
enabling murderers like you guys do is indefensible
downhill246

Pompano Beach, FL

#543 Jan 20, 2013
korg88 wrote:
That's right, Teabaggers. The "Gubment" gon' come callin' for y'all's AR-15s. Stay vigilant!

Is that you, Michelle?

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#544 Jan 20, 2013
nope wrote:
<quoted text>
Fast & Furious = your president and his lackeys enabling murderers.

Try to BS your way out of that one.
Brad

Manchester, CT

#545 Jan 20, 2013
nope wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean like planned parenthood?
Brad

Manchester, CT

#546 Jan 20, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you better make sure it's nice & sharp, because we've seen how all your previous predictions have turned out......
Try not to make too much of a mess!
I never made any predictions.
Did I have hope America wouldn't make the same mistake with Oblamer a second time,absolutely.
those

Huntsville, AL

#547 Jan 20, 2013
La Santa Muerte wrote:
<quoted text>
Fast & Furious = your president and his lackeys enabling murderers.
Try to BS your way out of that one.
border LEOs responsible for this particular botched police action in the long-standing gun interdiction program have lost their jobs. Perhaps things would go smoother at ATF if the repugs would allow someone to be put in charge and stop adding riders that restrict their authority to do their job properly.

He is your president as well, unless you are declaring yourself as a traitor.
more

Huntsville, AL

#548 Jan 20, 2013
Brad wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean like planned parenthood?
stupid lies.
Cat74

United States

#549 Jan 20, 2013
Obama is as much my President as President Bush was yours. I don't hate him like Bush was hated. I just cannot respect a leader that treats his people with contempt. Not all of them of course, but he seems to only be President to a small percentage of our people.
1 post removed

“O'er the land of the free ? ”

Since: Jan 09

Don't Tread On Me

#551 Jan 20, 2013
Cat74 wrote:
Obama is as much my President as President Bush was yours. I don't hate him like Bush was hated. I just cannot respect a leader that treats his people with contempt. Not all of them of course, but he seems to only be President to a small percentage of our people.
People need to stop thinking the word "President" is synonymous with "Leader".

Obama is a divider of people to further his agenda.

A true leader can bring people of different ideas and walks of life together.

Obama talks the talk but can not walk the walk.

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#552 Jan 21, 2013
ToManyLaws wrote:
<quoted text>
You vote to keep away same sex peoples rights and you want to take away some of womens rights and control there bodies...RING A BELL NOW
Nope...because it is not true, you lying POS.

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#553 Jan 21, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
You conveniently left out the whole "well regulated militia" part......
What about it??

It is merely a REASON why the people should always own and carry arms......not a qualifier (so says the SCOTUS....twice).
Brown Girl in the Ring

London, UK

#554 Jan 21, 2013
Cat74 wrote:
He won by a majority vote
Brown Girl in the Ring

London, UK

#555 Jan 21, 2013
Richard_ wrote:
Let me make this perfectly clear, at one time I was on the fence post regarding abortion, now I'm pro abortion. Why? Because leftist feminist women using their own will and resources to kill off future leftist children, will mean less crime and less entitlement people running around.
It makes me laugh that an in-bred hill billy yokel like yourself will adopt an air of superiority to infer that a woman of colour is the recipient of welfare enititlement
serfs up

Melbourne, FL

#556 Jan 21, 2013
Cat74 wrote:
You are correct. The progressive Democratic party has shown contempt for the middle class who are not in their agenda. Have for many years. Relentless spewing of venom about the rich not paying their fair share and here we are, the little people somehow paying more in taxes with progressive sheep making excuses as usual for their party politics. Growing up in a city and experiencing local politics is a primer for what Washington is evolving into. Heck, evolved into already. Sadly, it is to late now. The infighting within the Repub party and the exclusion of those who have different beliefs which include freedom and common sense in foreign affairs will doom the party and our future. Even if they win the Senate in two years it will be because the progressive Dems screwed things up bad and the Repub party elitists will nominate candidates to their thinking and we will elect more RINO'S and NEO CONS to keep our destruction on track.
2 posts removed

Since: Aug 12

Buffalo, NY

#559 Jan 21, 2013
Where Is My America wrote:
<quoted text>People need to stop thinking the word "President" is synonymous with "Leader".
Obama is a divider of people to further his agenda.
A true leader can bring people of different ideas and walks of life together.
Obama talks the talk but can not walk the walk.
Name me the Republican leader that attempts to bring people together...
47 % Romney?
Legitimate rape Aiken and Murdock?

please...be serious

Since: Aug 12

Buffalo, NY

#560 Jan 21, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
What about it??
It is merely a REASON why the people should always own and carry arms......not a qualifier (so says the SCOTUS....twice).
it is a reason why SOME people should be given LICENSE to own guns.
There are some people who should NEVER own a gun.
There is nothing more sacred to democracy than the right to vote.
No one argues that voting should take place with out regulation.
I have to register to vote. That fact does not compromise my rights.
Why do you believe your gun is more sacred than my vote.
1 post removed
ObamaLove

Muncy, PA

#562 Jan 21, 2013
They won't likely be coming door to door to confiscate weapons...They will use a few other methods already at play, especially in NYS. These methods will allow them to say "See? We are fair and benevolent and only want to limit the availability of them...for the safety of our citizens." These may include the following....

1.) They will ban weapons by name and type and not allow more to be shipped into a state or the country. They will "grandfather" in the existing weapons. This is what NYS has recently done. Must be registered within 12 months. Weapons may NOT be given or transferred to another person and may not be willed to another upon death. The number of weapons allowed to be owned may also be regulated. The recent NY law already has BANNED certain LEVER ACTION rifles, PUMP shotguns, and competition pistols.

As in NYS, you have 12 months to sell, destroy or turn in any mag over 10 rds...at a loss (New York already had a size limit on mags made AFTER the onset of their already existing ban but you could have ANY mag BEFORE that date. These were costly due to artificial scarcity.) You may retain your existing 10rd mags BUT you must download them to only 7 rds or you are a FELON! If you own a weapon for with no existing 7rd or less mag is available, you may buy and "import" more 10rd mags for 60 days...

2.) They will use policies, procedures, and fees/taxes to limit the sale and use of weapons. Making you take periodic classes/course, filling out forms, permits, every time, or periodically, to do mundane actions such as to transport the weapon, to use it to hunt, periodic inspections of the weapon by approved persons (business/agency) etc. Periodic mental health screening. Some/most will require a fee. The excise tax paid by gun makers on each weapon may be increase to a punitive amount....you may be allowed to buy a gun, but you may be not be able to afford it! This discriminates against the poor and minorities (Ironically, the poor and minorities were the basis for the reason FOR gun control in the U.S. in the 1800s and pushed for by democrats...look it up. ;)) Also, zoning for shooting ranges will be changed to be more restrictive and publicly available hunting grounds will be restricted/more regulated.

3.) Tax on and maximum amount of ammunition allowed to owned at a time as well as limiting the types/calibers you can buy.
ObamaLove

Muncy, PA

#563 Jan 21, 2013
4.) Using the state run media (You may laugh, but really, have you watched what passes as "news"? Talking heads pandering to the liberals.) to shame and look down on gun owners and to propagate the idea that they are dangerous as well as sensationalizing gun crimes 24/7, every 15 min (as they currently do.)

5.) Using schools to indoctrinate kids into thinking that guns are not needed, antiquated, dangerous, and only good for hunting. They will also be pumped for information and to narc on people who may have unregistered weapons, to many weapons etc.etc. This is already being implemented on a small scale by having doctors ask patients for gun info and DHS public service advertisements and their slogan "If you see something, SAY something!".

All of these have either been recommended, implemented in entirety or limited fashion, or included on Anti-2nd groups wish-lists. All of these give the ILLUSION of having a 2nd amendment and give the power that be the ability to say "See, you HAVE your weapons so how can you say you are having your freedom eroded?" Many of our illustrious leaders have LONG held such goals as a desire (and PUBLICLY so) but were not always in a position to do so)

Some members, domestic and foreign, may already be able to identify with many of the things on my list and remember how they progress....the propaganda, the empty promises of respecting "freedom' and "rights" only to wake up a few years later to realize that guns have been regulated, bred, taxed into obscurity. After a generation or two, weapons are not even thought much of...unless you are a criminal or a government interested in maintaining control. Those against such "sensible regulation will be portrayed as extremest and dangerous and will be put on watch lists.

Some may label me as paranoid or a sensationalist...that's ok, I'm confident in my prediction as history has been a great teacher, if one has paid attention.

This is what we have waiting for us, if we allow it.

“Waytogo”

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#564 Jan 21, 2013
Buffalo Bull wrote:
<quoted text>
it is a reason why SOME people should be given LICENSE to own guns.
There are some people who should NEVER own a gun.
There is nothing more sacred to democracy than the right to vote.
No one argues that voting should take place with out regulation.
I have to register to vote. That fact does not compromise my rights.
Why do you believe your gun is more sacred than my vote.
GREAT GREAT GREAT POST..........Yes most GOP types want people to register and show picture ID to vote and most GOP like idea of showing ID to buy tobacco and alcohol...BUT THEY WANT TO BE ABLE TO BUY ANY GUN ANYTIME ANYWAY WITH NOTHING IN THERE WAY...

Why is it GOP types want regulation on all parts of the constitution exceot for there gus? INSANE NUT JOB KILLERS MAYBE?????????? TINY LITTLE PEE PEES AND NEED BIG GUN AND JACKED UP TRUCK TO COMPENSATE???????
serfs up

Melbourne, FL

#565 Jan 21, 2013
ToManyLaws wrote:
<quoted text>
GREAT GREAT GREAT POST..........Yes most GOP types want people to register and show picture ID to vote and most GOP like idea of showing ID to buy tobacco and alcohol...BUT THEY WANT TO BE ABLE TO BUY ANY GUN ANYTIME ANYWAY WITH NOTHING IN THERE WAY...
Why is it GOP types want regulation on all parts of the constitution exceot for there gus? INSANE NUT JOB KILLERS MAYBE?????????? TINY LITTLE PEE PEES AND NEED BIG GUN AND JACKED UP TRUCK TO COMPENSATE???????
Perhaps when times became tight there were men and women who cut the cord when needed until growth resumed. So illegal immigrants were sent packing or access close off. Every avenue of saving money today is now called hate. We is finished.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 1 min Sojurner D Truth 26,282
News Alabamaa s voters, divided over Trumpa s remark... 1 min Ioe 23
News not Real News: a look at what didn't happen thi... 4 min Trumfusion 15
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min USAsince1680 1,581,791
News Rural America Braces for Labor Shortages After ... 6 min Red Crosse 52
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 6 min Justice Dale 287,423
News Trump claims witch hunt, says he's most hounded... 7 min old_moose 1,595
News Dear Trump Voters: The 1950's Aren't Coming Back 24 min ImPeach 1,409
More from around the web