America's bizarre blood rule: How ant...

America's bizarre blood rule: How anti-gay bigots could kill heteros, too

There are 76 comments on the Salon story from Sep 30, 2013, titled America's bizarre blood rule: How anti-gay bigots could kill heteros, too. In it, Salon reports that:

In another example of bigotry that also yields deleterious practical effects, the Food and Drug Administration continues to ban blood donations from men who've had sex with men in the past 36 years.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Salon.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#2 Sep 30, 2013
What if you once saw a gay person on tv. Does that count ?
mike

San Rafael, CA

#3 Sep 30, 2013
Actully the food and drug administration does not care because they let the groups that are most at risk for HIV to give blood

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

#4 Sep 30, 2013
Bartholomew wrote:
Thank God for the Food and Drug Administration!
At least somebody is concerned with the safety of normal, decent people!
So, your old whore mother can screw 50 guys and run down and give blood with no problem, since she is hetero. Got it. If I need a transfusion, I'll skip hers, thank you.

How's that trip to Disneyland going for you, little cowardly liar?

Cletus, every drop of blood is screened before it is used. Heteros are NOT immune to blood borne pathogens.
1 post removed
Brian

Attleboro, MA

#6 Sep 30, 2013
The only test is the question,'Did you have sex with men?' So someone could lie and say no and still be able to give blood. Great safeguards.

Why don't they just test the donated blood for HIV? Other countries do.

“Desperation stinks Hillary”

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#7 Sep 30, 2013
Curteese wrote:
<quoted text>So, your old whore mother can screw 50 guys and run down and give blood with no problem, since she is hetero. Got it. If I need a transfusion, I'll skip hers, thank you.
How's that trip to Disneyland going for you, little cowardly liar?
Cletus, every drop of blood is screened before it is used. Heteros are NOT immune to blood borne pathogens.
How many junkie homo's gave blood so they could get money for their next fix? They WILLINGLY contaminated the blood stock. You won't b*tch at them for what they did? WHY?
2 posts removed

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#10 Sep 30, 2013
Brian wrote:
The only test is the question,'Did you have sex with men?' So someone could lie and say no and still be able to give blood. Great safeguards.
But the question, "Did you have sex with men ?" is not a good indicator to determine if a person is at a higher risk of being hiv positive.

A person could have last had sex with men more than 40 years ago, which would put them at very low risk of hiv.

A person could have a very long LTR with a man which is completely monogamous and neither person is hiv positive.

A person could have had sex with a female who is hiv positive.

A person could have had only oral sex with a man, which puts the risk of hiv transmission either at zero or as close to zero as one can get.

A person could have had sex with women in a part of the world where hiv infection is 50 times higher than in the U.S.

It's just not a question that gives a very good indicator of one's possibility of being hiv positive.
Cat74

United States

#11 Sep 30, 2013
Everyone can give blood simply by not being truthful when they fill out the paperwork. Always line up people in your immediate family to give blood. Won't really matter soon, because our doctors will be so busy, we will have to let some people go to Heaven's Gate!! Our healthcare system has successfully been destroyed. Remember not one Republican voted for it, if you have trouble staying alive.

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#12 Sep 30, 2013
Cat74 wrote:
Everyone can give blood simply by not being truthful when they fill out the paperwork. Always line up people in your immediate family to give blood. Won't really matter soon, because our doctors will be so busy, we will have to let some people go to Heaven's Gate!! Our healthcare system has successfully been destroyed. Remember not one Republican voted for it, if you have trouble staying alive.
It's The Obamaniac's new birth control plan.

And I hope the federal government DOES shutdown as 95% of what they do is wasteful, I hope OBAMACARE IS defunded, and I REFUSE to have anything to do with OBAMACARE, will NOT join any "exchange" and will NOT pay the fine, WHICH is UNCONSTITUTIONAL because it is essentially a bill of attainder, and the government CANNOT fine you without a trial and due process of law.

Even if you get a traffic ticket where the maximum penalty is a small fine, you are STILL ENTITLED to a trial and due process. They cannot just say, "You passed a stop sign without making a full stop so pay the fine because we said so !"

Who here believes that the government can fine you WITHOUT giving you a trial and due process of law ? Isn't The Obamaniac SUPPOSED TO KNOW this ?!

And if I, and millions of other Americans REFUSE to involve ourselves in the Joseph Stalin-lite OBAMACARE, and refuse to pay an unconstitutional fine, what's The Obamaniac and his jackbooted stormtroopers going to do ? Throw us all in federal prison ?(Where we would be entitled to FREE medical care).

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#13 Sep 30, 2013
And btw, the U.S. Postal Service has announced that they are raising their rates AGAIN to 49 cents for a first class letter. I Remember when the first class postal rate was 4 CENTS, and I STILL have the stamps form that time.

The Postal Service SHOULD BE ABOLISHED. Today we have email, texting, U.P.S., FedEx, and other ways to deliver documents and packages. Let private industry handle it.

About 95% of what the government does can be done better by private companies at a lower cost.
JaMarcus

Gardnerville, NV

#14 Sep 30, 2013
What if you oncst shook hands with Michael Jackson? Can't remember if it was his gloved hand?

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

#15 Sep 30, 2013
Florida Gator wrote:
There's a reason why queers can't donate blood.
No, there's not.

And yes, we can.
Cat74

United States

#16 Sep 30, 2013
I too, want the government shut down even if the Republicans take the hit. They need to know they cannot kiss up to our enemies foreign, or domestic. It won't last long. Liberal Americans have short interest spams, especially the lo info group.
1 post removed

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#18 Sep 30, 2013
Brian wrote:
They do test every donation for HIV.

The ban was put in place before we knew what caused AIDS and before we could test for it. Now that we have the test and use it on every donation, the ban is no longer rational. It remains in place as a result of the irrational prejudice expressed on these threads. Ignorance and prejudice are the only reasons for the continued ban.

All people should be screened for high risk behavior within the last 6mo to a year.
Little Oakland Annie

Hayward, CA

#19 Sep 30, 2013
Florida Gator wrote:
<quoted text>
No you can't unless you lie, like queers do, and say you're not a queer.
...says the voice of experience. I'm surprised you can tear yourself away from gay boards long enough to give blood.

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#20 Sep 30, 2013
Not Yet Equal wrote:
<quoted text>
They do test every donation for HIV.
The ban was put in place before we knew what caused AIDS and before we could test for it. Now that we have the test and use it on every donation, the ban is no longer rational. It remains in place as a result of the irrational prejudice expressed on these threads. Ignorance and prejudice are the only reasons for the continued ban.
All people should be screened for high risk behavior within the last 6mo to a year.
Voting for a Democrat or The Obamaniac is considered "high risk behavior", rite ?
1 post removed

Palm Springs, California

#22 Sep 30, 2013
Retired SOF wrote:
<quoted text>
How many junkie homo's gave blood so they could get money for their next fix? They WILLINGLY contaminated the blood stock. You won't b*tch at them for what they did? WHY?
I'd say just about as many junkie HETEROS who do that exact same thing.

I love it when you guys come up with some sweaty bit of shock news with no research or backing, but merely your "creative writing" on steroids. Unless you can come up with stats, let's keep it realistic, may we?

Palm Springs, California

#23 Sep 30, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
Voting for a Democrat or The Obamaniac is considered "high risk behavior", rite ?
Stop it. You're making jest of a really important and serious topic.

save your..."""jokes """ for some other time. What's wrong with you?

Palm Springs, California

#24 Sep 30, 2013
Florida Gator wrote:
<quoted text>
So, if you're hetero, your blood is clean and clear as the driven snow, huh? Well, if you ever need a transfusion, I guess you won't mind if they use hetero blood that is NOT tested, in fact, just hook you up to some random hetero stranger, since you heteros are immune to any illnesses or viruses, and heteros NEVER lie about their behavior.

Good for you.
Little Oakland Annie

Hayward, CA

#25 Sep 30, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
It's The Obamaniac's new birth control plan.
It's too bad your parents didn't have a birth control plan.
2 posts removed

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

#28 Sep 30, 2013
Florida Gator wrote:
Then you better look out, someone might!

Better just test ALL the blood, and abandon unreliable self-reporting.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why it Matters: Jobs 2 min watching from above 16
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Teaman 1,432,030
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 2 min Left of centre 18,312
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 4 min X -Man- 395,390
News Police in riot-hit Charlotte say shooting victi... 5 min Go Blue Forever 579
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 7 min syamsu 209,604
News Trump Isn't Bluffing, He'll Deport 11 Million P... 10 min Shawnbc 10,211
News Trump calls on GOP to improve African-American ... 10 min Oh No You Di-nt 1,285
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 13 min Cornelius Scudmister 243,505
More from around the web