Arizona governor signs tough immigration enforcement bill into law

Full story: Daily Breeze

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer signed into law the nation's toughest legislation against illegal immigration Friday, a sweeping measure that supporters said would take handcuffs off police but which President Barack Obama said could violate people's civil rights.
Comments
1 - 20 of 868 Comments Last updated May 13, 2010
First Prev
of 44
Next Last
california nation

Burbank, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2010

Judged:

So Arizona will actually enforce our border laws?
Pancho

Las Vegas, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2010

Judged:

Good-Something has to be done to end this problem, because illiegal immigrants are overruning Arizona and it's resources, and they're doing the same along all the border states with Mexico.
The Federal Government has failed to do it's job by not enforcing it's immigration laws, or it's
labor laws concerning illegal immigrants and the businesses that hire them. One can't blame states or local governments for trying to end this problem.
But, Arizona's battle to end illegal immigration isn't over yet: Will the courts uphold the measure, or will it meet a similar fate like Proposition 187 did?
This will be interesting-No doubt illegal immigrants and their supporters will appeal and fight this legislation.
zane salazar

Whittier, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2010

Judged:

Don't worry about the Illegals.

Sick, Twisted, emotionally, spiritually, and intellectually bankrupt Californians will take all Illegals. It is part of the cowardice that deliniates today's California from proud American citizens.
1 post removed
Pancho

Las Vegas, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2010

Judged:

california nation wrote:
So Arizona will actually enforce our border laws?
No-As a state law, this legislation (pending court approval) will only be enforced within Arizona's borders.

“Liberal and proud of it.”

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2010

Judged:

And ignorance, fear, and hatred win the day. Good job, Arizona! Now that you'll be pulling over all the brown people with funny accents, you might just be sending all of those folks out of your state for good. Of course, that might not be such a great idea...

The American Immigration Council released a statement two days ago in which they said, "...Gov. Brewer should keep in mind that, if significant numbers of immigrants and Latinos are actually persuaded to leave the state because of this new law, they will take their tax dollars, businesses, and purchasing power with them. The University of Arizona's Udall Center for Studies in Public Policy estimates that the total economic output attributable to Arizona's immigrant workers was $44 billion in 2004, which sustained roughly 400,000 full-time jobs. Furthermore, over 35,000 businesses in Arizona are Latino-owned and had sales and receipts of $4.3 billion and employed 39,363 people in 2002, the last year for which data is available."

I really wouldn't want to try pushing these people around like this. You just might miss them when they go.
AZillegal ImmigrationLaw

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2010

Judged:

Well, they can't come to California - we're broke! So they'll have to go home. There's always Canada!
Wow

Mission Viejo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2010

Judged:

We are human? of course but why can't you follow the law? animals aren't human. this Gov should run for President.
Wow

Mission Viejo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2010

Judged:

Jen Hussein wrote:
I really wouldn't want to try pushing these people around like this. You just might miss them when they go.
First let me say, we won't miss them cause they won't go. 2nd: I wish they would go.
Kim

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2010

Judged:

Jen Hussein wrote:
And ignorance, fear, and hatred win the day. Good job, Arizona! Now that you'll be pulling over all the brown people with funny accents, you might just be sending all of those folks out of your state for good. Of course, that might not be such a great idea...
The American Immigration Council released a statement two days ago in which they said, "...Gov. Brewer should keep in mind that, if significant numbers of immigrants and Latinos are actually persuaded to leave the state because of this new law, they will take their tax dollars, businesses, and purchasing power with them. The University of Arizona's Udall Center for Studies in Public Policy estimates that the total economic output attributable to Arizona's immigrant workers was $44 billion in 2004, which sustained roughly 400,000 full-time jobs. Furthermore, over 35,000 businesses in Arizona are Latino-owned and had sales and receipts of $4.3 billion and employed 39,363 people in 2002, the last year for which data is available."
Well said!
Peg Adams

Whittier, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2010

Judged:

Jen Hussein wrote:
Jen, I understand your lack of respect for your citizenship why can't you attempt to understand the views of principled Americans?
plopsdad

Jackson, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2010

Judged:

Jen Hussein wrote:
you didnt read the bill, this bill DOES NOT give police the righ to pull people over only if they think they are illegal, but it gives them rights to ask, check.
VOICE OF REASON

Redondo Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2010

Judged:

This is the best news I've heard all week, let's get the ball rolling and have California follow suit as quickly as possible.

To all you illegals who have escaped the system (for now) happy Cinco de Mayo have a good one, hopefully it will be your last in MY country.
AZillegal ImmigrationLaw

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2010

Judged:

Wow wrote:
<quoted text>
First let me say, we won't miss them cause they won't go. 2nd: I wish they would go.
Hussein does have a point. The cost of living will go up... small business will start paying higher wages and everything will cost more...Now that I think about it, Amnesty may be around the corner. This law is the cornerstone of things to come. Seriously, as a human being, would you really kick out the neighbor who babysits your kid. Granted I do not condone illegal immigration. But you can't just kick them out w/o any options of at least trying to prepare them to go back home... We are in our nature not like that, unless your Hitler!
LA Harbor

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2010

Judged:

why don't they concentrate on going after those who employ them? I want to see some of those employers doing time too.
Ted in Lakewood

Whittier, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2010

Judged:

VOICE OF REASON wrote:
This is the best news I've heard all week, let's get the ball rolling and have California follow suit as quickly as possible.
To all you illegals who have escaped the system (for now) happy Cinco de Mayo have a good one, hopefully it will be your last in MY country.
It's too late for us. All we can do is pray that our homes sell so we can leave California to the black hearted illegal loving majority. The Unions had best hope that the millions of illegals will become willing slaves to their extravagant pensions.

The future is bleak at best after years of ignoring the horrific problems which accompany the infestation of illegals on our schools, health care, gang problems etc.
Morons

Central, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2010

Judged:

Jen Hussein wrote:
Good by good luck and god bless them as they move away.
Show Me Zee Papers

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2010

Judged:

Karlheinz wrote:
<quoted text>
They'll try to enforce their own. "Now is the time to make the Decisions for the American Citizenry as the 'undeclared war' escalates at the border!" wrote a friend to Governor Brewer.
All of our wars are undeclared, what's one more.
strohmy

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2010

Judged:

Jen Hussein wrote:
Good now People here legally can take those jobs and if those businesses were owed by illegals then those here legally can now operate them.What about the services your beloved criminals utilize? didn't see that in that study.
AZillegal ImmigrationLaw

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2010

Judged:

LA Harbor wrote:
why don't they concentrate on going after those who employ them? I want to see some of those employers doing time too.
Like McDonalds, Jack -in-box, Carls Jr.
Hugh

Garden Grove, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2010

Judged:

I have never seen so many mean spirited, hateful, racist comments. How do you people sleep at night? Unless you are Native American we all came from someplace else, not all of our families came here legally. Yes mine did so don't jump on me.There are many illegals from other countries here taking advantage of the system they just blend in better.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 44
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

36 Users are viewing the US Politics Forum right now

Search the US Politics Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Buroc Millhouse Obama 1,082,659
Congress Agrees To Reform The VA 5 min YEA 2
The President has failed us (Jun '12) 5 min Freespirit8 245,384
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 6 min LRS 175,000
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 8 min Subduction Zone 113,014
Bachmann says she may make another presidential... 10 min scirocco 167
Plagiarism scandal overshadows Sen. John Walsh'... 11 min factcheck 31
•••
•••