PHILLIPS: The last days of the Republ...

PHILLIPS: The last days of the Republican Party

There are 2201 comments on the Washington Times story from Oct 12, 2013, titled PHILLIPS: The last days of the Republican Party. In it, Washington Times reports that:

The Republican Party saved the Union and abolished slavery. The Republican Party stood against Franklin Roosevelt's internment of Japanese Americans during World War II and against Jim Crow laws in the 50's.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Washington Times.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#1565 Nov 3, 2013
Mykro wrote:
<quoted text>You and who else would advocate this? Oh yeah, the teabag party you claim not to belong to. HYP-O-CRITE.
I never said it would pass Congress or be ratified by the states.

The sheeple are WAY too fat, lazy, and entitled for that to ever happen.

I was simply explaining my position.

Tawas City, Michigan

#1566 Nov 3, 2013
Eric Gustafson wrote:
So which do you not grasp the concept of, Free or Equal Society?
America is not some club with membership and requirements or obstacles of initiation.
Which American citizen not an American Native, is not tied to an immigrant at some time from some other place?
Do you understand the phase "We are a nation of Immigrants"?
<quoted text>
Yes we DO have requirements for citizenship. Not everyone can be a citizen just because they want to be.

We ALREADY have a 2-tier citizenship system.

1. Birthright citizens.
2. Naturalized citizens.

How is that equal?

Why do some people have citizenship handed to them on a platter, while others have to earn it?

How is that equal?

Tawas City, Michigan

#1567 Nov 3, 2013
Eric Gustafson wrote:
Before Lincoln and the 13 Amendment to the Constitution, there were Southerners who also supported multiple classes of American Citizenship, it began with the 3/5 rule for Slaves in the Census .
You're proposing returning to those days. You are talking about repealing the 13th Amendment...... ROFLMAO
See why people don't take you and people with your ideas serious in America.
<quoted text>
Where did I EVER say I wanted to repeal the 13th amendment or reinstitute slavery?

Oh that's right, I didn't.

So the current 2 classes of citizenship are okay, but no others?

Yes, I support repealing the 14th amendment which granted birthright citizenship, and replacing it with an amendment which establishes a conditional citizenship and specifies how full citizenship can be earned.

Only full citizens would be allowed to vote or run for public office.

Those who choose to remain conditional citizens would still be entitled to all the protections of the constitution with the exception of those things reserved specifically for full citizens.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#1568 Nov 3, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did I EVER say I wanted to repeal the 13th amendment or reinstitute slavery?
Yes, I support repealing the 14th amendment which granted birthright citizenship, and replacing it with an amendment which establishes a conditional citizenship and specifies how full citizenship can be earned.
Those who choose to remain conditional citizens would still be entitled to all the protections of the constitution with the exception of those things reserved specifically for full citizens.
that is sound thinking. that part of the 14th was enacted for a very good reason, but it is archaic and not needed now.

time for rewrite of that part of the 14th.(repeal of tht section..) we are one of the very few developed nations that still uses Jus soli for citizenship rights...we do not need it any more...

Tawas City, Michigan

#1569 Nov 3, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>that is sound thinking. that part of the 14th was enacted for a very good reason, but it is archaic and not needed now.
time for rewrite of that part of the 14th.(repeal of tht section..) we are one of the very few developed nations that still uses Jus soli for citizenship rights...we do not need it any more...
Agreed. That section was enacted specifically to address the legacy of slavery.

But to be clear, I don't advocate going back to a system of Jus sanguinis where blood lines grant citizenship automatically either.

EVERYONE should have to earn their citizenship.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#1570 Nov 3, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
But to be clear, I don't advocate going back to a system of Jus sanguinis where blood lines grant citizenship automatically either.
i would disagree with that. how does one earn their citizenship in your world? is there any nation that has effectively implemented such a program?
Eric Gustafson

Virginia Beach, VA

#1571 Nov 3, 2013
Republican Richard Nixon also had a bright idea to implement price controls which blew a hole in the American Economy that lasted until Ronald Reagan was elected in 1980......

Government setting market prices don't work, the Republicans already proved that strategy is a disaster.

You still can not identify a product you use that is impacted by the taxes that help fund Obamacare, but your are desperately trying to deflect from answering that simple question with this rubbish.

It was a simple challenge, How and what way are your finances impacted by the new taxes that fund Obamacare? It comes down to you complaining about the 10% tax on Tanning Salons and nothing else.

Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>You are for communism which you proved and yes we will all be affected indirectly by Obamacare because of the New Taxes placed on businesses that are affected by Obamacare which translates into them raising their prices of their services and goods to offset those tax increases placed on them by the Federal Government which is a domino affect which even Democrat FDR knew just like when employers started to give their employees raises during WW2 which even FDR knew that prices of goods were going to start going up to offset the raises given to the employees which would cause inflation something that FDR did not want and the fear of inflation was the reason behind FDR's Executive Order against employers making it illegal for them to offer raises to their employees and the ill affect of FDR's executive order is what caused what many know today as employer sponsered Health Insurance.
Executive Order 9328 on Prices and Wages
http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/...

Since: Feb 11

Nearer than you would like

#1572 Nov 3, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Except of course that's NOT what I'm advocating.
I said IF the govt has to spend tax dollars, I'd rather it be done at the state level whenever possible.
That's a BIG IF.
Ideally the states would cut their unnecessary spending as well.
Don't obfuscate, you do it poorly. You stated that you don't believe the Federal government should be funding things that states are mandated to provide. Great idea - without federal resources, states will have to generate revenue from their tax base. Increase to income, state and sales taxes will be necessary to employ your reasoning.
Eric Gustafson

Virginia Beach, VA

#1573 Nov 3, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
So you support multiple classes of Citizenship, and repealing the 14th Amendment...... IF that's not a tenant of Fascism what would you classify that as then?

Your problem seems to be that you feel more entitled to Freedom and Access which is guaranteed each American Citizen than the next Person who doesn't meet your prescribed conditions.

Thus you are opposed to the fundamental justification of the Constitution and the consent of the governed which is clearly outlined in the Declaration of Independence to the rest of the civilized World.

You would have to also remove the phase of the preamble clarifying that "All men are created equal".

You want to totally rebrand and remake America, much like the Confederate States of America traitors wanted and do away with the concept of Free and Equal in America and issue memberships based on some distorted concept other than our focus on basic Human Rights.

That's laughable.

#1574 Nov 3, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Unfortunately there is some unnecessary redundancy within the military as well; but of course those people are almost entirely in the CIVILIAN DOD employee population.
You clearly never worked operations.
I earned my citizenship by serving my country in the military.
What? You weren't a citizen prior?
I fully support a constitutional amendment getting rid of automatic birthright citizenship and replacing it with a conditional 2-tier citizenship which would require a mandatory 2 years of military service for full citizenship rights- including voting, running for political office, etc.
Sure you do. When your daughter comes of age and we are in the midst of a shooting conflict, you will hide her in your bunker rather than see her tasked to a FOP.

Basically, you are destroying the Constitution. You contend that a person is not a citizen until he/she has earned it by submitting themselves to the will of the government.

Make up your mind.

#1575 Nov 3, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
I love it when assclowns claim that they want smaller government but then advocate for military authority from within.

The draft was very popular - mandatory service would be the same.(sigh and roll eyes)

You seem to be advocating putting everyone - whether mentally and physically capable through the military. That is asinine and illustrates your complete lack of knowledge of how operations occur. Maybe the Navy accepts knuckledragging mouthbreathers with anarchy issues to carry bedpans and clean floors but those on the line need personnel who want to be there.

Your reasoning is a step away from communism.
Eric Gustafson

Virginia Beach, VA

#1576 Nov 3, 2013
The system of Government he's promoting dismantles Democracy and institutes Despotism where membership is distributed on some zany basis.

There's little doubt he is one of the many people on the right that wish to see Freedoms repealed, and individual Liberties confiscated in America. A certified anarchist who has no loyalty to America, it's principles and what America stands for in the world.

ChaunceyGardiner wrote:
<quoted text>
I love it when assclowns claim that they want smaller government but then advocate for military authority from within.
The draft was very popular - mandatory service would be the same.(sigh and roll eyes)
You seem to be advocating putting everyone - whether mentally and physically capable through the military. That is asinine and illustrates your complete lack of knowledge of how operations occur. Maybe the Navy accepts knuckledragging mouthbreathers with anarchy issues to carry bedpans and clean floors but those on the line need personnel who want to be there.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#1577 Nov 3, 2013
Eric Gustafson wrote:
Republican Richard Nixon also had a bright idea to implement price controls which blew a hole in the American Economy that lasted until Ronald Reagan was elected in 1980......
Government setting market prices don't work, the Republicans already proved that strategy is a disaster.
You still can not identify a product you use that is impacted by the taxes that help fund Obamacare, but your are desperately trying to deflect from answering that simple question with this rubbish.
It was a simple challenge, How and what way are your finances impacted by the new taxes that fund Obamacare? It comes down to you complaining about the 10% tax on Tanning Salons and nothing else.
<quoted text>
your deflecting from the answer I gave and we are going to see domino affect somehow indirectly which is economics 101 besides have you ever heard of the Humphrey–Hawkins Full Employment Act which is what the Democrats replaced the Employment Act of 1946 that was enacted by the Democrats which by law placed the Federal Government in Control of all economical activity and it was the Democrats Idea to grant the Federal Government to control market prices & inflation.

Humphrey–Hawkins Full Employment Act

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_Employment_...
1 post removed

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#1579 Nov 3, 2013
Eric Gustafson wrote:
<quoted text>
Warning: Hidden Obamacare Taxes Will Cost You More Than You Think

By David Zeiler, Associate Editor, Money Morning
August 5, 2012

http://moneymorning.com/2012/08/05/warning-hi... #

Tawas City, Michigan

#1580 Nov 4, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>i would disagree with that. how does one earn their citizenship in your world? is there any nation that has effectively implemented such a program?
None that I'm aware of, but before the US Constitution was ratified there wasn't another country in the world where the PEOPLE granted rights to the GOVT.

That said, earned citizenship is hardly a novel concept. Most nations- including the US- have ways for non-citizens to become citizens; essentially earning your citizenship.

I envision a 2-tier citizenship system where those born in the US are entitled to all the basic rights citizens currently enjoy under the bill of rights, with the exception of owning a gun, voting, and holding political office. To be eligible to own a gun, vote, or hold political office, a conditional citizen would have to earn full citizenship. In addition, certain taxpayer provided benefits (i.e. social security, medicare, welfare, etc) could be reserved for full citizens.

To earn full citizenship, a person would have to complete 2 years of military service at either the federal or state level.

Tawas City, Michigan

#1581 Nov 4, 2013
ChaunceyGardiner wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't obfuscate, you do it poorly. You stated that you don't believe the Federal government should be funding things that states are mandated to provide. Great idea - without federal resources, states will have to generate revenue from their tax base. Increase to income, state and sales taxes will be necessary to employ your reasoning.
Federal mandates to the states are a separate- though related- issue.

Obviously I oppose most federal mandates on individual states, especially in areas which neither the federal nor state govt should be doing like education, agriculture, etc.

Tawas City, Michigan

#1582 Nov 4, 2013
Eric Gustafson wrote:
<quoted text>
So you support multiple classes of Citizenship, and repealing the 14th Amendment...... IF that's not a tenant of Fascism what would you classify that as then?
Your problem seems to be that you feel more entitled to Freedom and Access which is guaranteed each American Citizen than the next Person who doesn't meet your prescribed conditions.
Thus you are opposed to the fundamental justification of the Constitution and the consent of the governed which is clearly outlined in the Declaration of Independence to the rest of the civilized World.
You would have to also remove the phase of the preamble clarifying that "All men are created equal".
You want to totally rebrand and remake America, much like the Confederate States of America traitors wanted and do away with the concept of Free and Equal in America and issue memberships based on some distorted concept other than our focus on basic Human Rights.
That's laughable.
I support making changes through the current constitutional process to improve our current republic.

Btw, "all men are created equal" definitely SHOULD be removed- or at least amended to include women.

Every person would still have the equal right to the opportunity to earn full citizenship.

Tawas City, Michigan

#1583 Nov 4, 2013
ChaunceyGardiner wrote:
<quoted text>
You clearly never worked operations.
<quoted text>
What? You weren't a citizen prior?
<quoted text>
Sure you do. When your daughter comes of age and we are in the midst of a shooting conflict, you will hide her in your bunker rather than see her tasked to a FOP.
Basically, you are destroying the Constitution. You contend that a person is not a citizen until he/she has earned it by submitting themselves to the will of the government.
Make up your mind.
The overwhelming majority of citizens haven't earned their citizenship; it was given to them (myself included) just for being lucky enough to be born on US soil. A small percentage of us have subsequently earned our citizenship through military service.

We will encourage our daughter to join the military after she graduates high school, but we obviously can't force her to do so. She already knows she is on her own financially after age 18, so any college or vocational training will entirely up to her. She has already started her own investments which she gains control of when she turns 18.

I'm contending the US would be much better off if citizenship were earned.

Tawas City, Michigan

#1584 Nov 4, 2013
ChaunceyGardiner wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did I promote mandatory service?

No one should be forced to serve in the military.

But only those who CHOOSE to serve should be entitled to full citizenship.
Eric Gustafson

Virginia Beach, VA

#1585 Nov 4, 2013
Before America's Declaration of Independence there was never another Nation that attempted the concept of Citizens of a nation consenting to the ideas and practices of self Government. Common people had no voice in the direction of their lives and societies and the concept of Human rights was not adhered too.

Immigrants and exiles came to America to escape slavery in their home nations. They had no individual right, freedoms and liberties. Now option or hope of owning land or expressing freely their thoughts and ideas.

You probably should take a minute and read the American Declaration of Independence. That's the document that was distributed to the world in justifying America's revolt against the British for the British Colonies in America.

That's the mission statement for who and what we are as a Nation.
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
None that I'm aware of, but before the US Constitution was ratified there wasn't another country in the world where the PEOPLE granted rights to the GOVT.
That said, earned citizenship is hardly a novel concept. Most nations- including the US- have ways for non-citizens to become citizens; essentially earning your citizenship.
I envision a 2-tier citizenship system where those born in the US are entitled to all the basic rights citizens currently enjoy under the bill of rights, with the exception of owning a gun, voting, and holding political office. To be eligible to own a gun, vote, or hold political office, a conditional citizen would have to earn full citizenship. In addition, certain taxpayer provided benefits (i.e. social security, medicare, welfare, etc) could be reserved for full citizens.
To earn full citizenship, a person would have to complete 2 years of military service at either the federal or state level.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trump would deport children of illegal immigrants (Aug '15) 2 min Truth is might 694
News Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins another term (Nov '10) 9 min UIDIOTRACEMAkeWOR... 23,801
News Trump slams SNL again: "Totally biased," "unwat... 14 min Absentee Ballot 27
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 22 min Just call me ABE 2 253,242
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 54 min Brian_G 403,888
News Trump win casts pall of uncertainty over Asia 1 hr HANSENSPANISDAEGU... 50
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Brian_G 62,318
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 hr Susanm 1,458,593
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 3 hr Snap 216,714
News Trump's repeated claim that he won a 'landslide... 3 hr TRUMP WINNERS 207
More from around the web