Local leaders urge action on immigration reform

Oct 27, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Beacon-News

Aurora Mayor Tom Weisner is one of 21 elected heads of larger Illinois municipalities who recently wrote to the state's congressional delegation in Washington imploring members to overhaul immigration laws as a way to repair and boost the economy.

Comments
1 - 20 of 56 Comments Last updated Nov 12, 2013
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2013

Judged:

how is an amnesty going to repair and boost the economy?

we have double digit unemployment and the highest welfare enrollment in the history of the usa.

how is allowing more to come in at a time when we are bankrupt and have outsourced all our jobs is an amnesty suppose to help us?

tom weisner has more compassion for foreigners then he does for the citizens that elected him.

NO AMNESTY. enforce the current laws. deport the illegals.

“Work hard at work worth doing.”

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2013

Judged:

The action needed is removal.
Juan

Vero Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2013

Judged:

Amnesty will provide the government with more tax dollars, both SS and Income Tax.
Republicodone 500mg

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2013

Judged:

“We cannot hope to achieve the growth necessary to repair the damage done by the recession without bringing 11 million people out of the shadows and fully integrated into our economy.”

Enforce the laws is bullshit, for what?
No jobs? Who is crying is who don't want to work
There are always jobs and always there will be.

..anyway
Too late my friend
American people want the reform,
Who doesn't? I havent read anybody against yet beside 4 cats in the House

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2013

Judged:

Juan wrote:
Amnesty will provide the government with more tax dollars, both SS and Income Tax.
the problem with an open amnesty is you don't know how many will apply.

if 50 or 100+ million applied for the amnesty, how would the usa be able to process all the applications and confirm those who are eligible?

not possible. chaos would be the end result.

people from all over the world would try their luck. come over on a moments notice.

there are over 6 billion people on this planet. and most of them are poor, illiterate. MILLIONS would be willing to come over and try their luck if an amnesty were approved.

how would the usa be able to deal with this scenario? the answer is - they wouldn't be able to.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2013

Judged:

I can see 100+ million coming over from mainland china alone if an amnesty were approved.

how many more from india, russia, pakistan, etc?

tell me I'm wrong.

in the past, we didn't have out of control amnesty because most didn't know anything about the usa. but with the internet so prevalent, that is not the case anymore.

again, tell me I'm wrong.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2013

Judged:

Republicodone 500mg wrote:
“We cannot hope to achieve the growth necessary to repair the damage done by the recession without bringing 11 million people out of the shadows and fully integrated into our economy.”
Enforce the laws is bullshit, for what?
No jobs? Who is crying is who don't want to work
There are always jobs and always there will be.
..anyway
Too late my friend
American people want the reform,
Who doesn't? I havent read anybody against yet beside 4 cats in the House
the reality is - no amnesty legislation has been approved in the last 15+ years. that means a MAJORITY of the people in the usa do not want an amnesty.

get it?
ignorantsmkemema d

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2013

Judged:

Asian Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
the problem with an open amnesty is you don't know how many will apply.
if 50 or 100+ million applied for the amnesty, how would the usa be able to process all the applications and confirm those who are eligible?
not possible. chaos would be the end result.
people from all over the world would try their luck. come over on a moments notice.
there are over 6 billion people on this planet. and most of them are poor, illiterate. MILLIONS would be willing to come over and try their luck if an amnesty were approved.
how would the usa be able to deal with this scenario? the answer is - they wouldn't be able to.
You are not informed correctly. The amnesty will be for the people that are already here. And have been here for a while. With good backgrounds, not criminals. People that work the minimum wage jobs that other people are saying there aren't any. Some people don't go to college or even finish highschool and expect to have a office job waiting for them. But that is irrelevant, because we are talking about the people who are already working and want driver licenses not about the people who are looking for jobs.( but praying to God no to find one)
IllegalMexihole

Carmel, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2013

Judged:

Juan wrote:
Ayee caramba! Another beaner full of sheet. Jos about every one of os eeleegal mexisheetholes ees een the 47% that pays zero nada eencome tax. So eef os eeleegal mexisheetholes future democratic voters eef amnestied become legal we all gone to qualify for food stamps, welfare, and obamacare for shore. That would cost all of you sucker gringos trillions of dollars.
1 post removed

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2013

Judged:

ignorantsmkememad wrote:
<quoted text>
You are not informed correctly. The amnesty will be for the people that are already here. And have been here for a while. With good backgrounds, not criminals. People that work the minimum wage jobs that other people are saying there aren't any. Some people don't go to college or even finish highschool and expect to have a office job waiting for them. But that is irrelevant, because we are talking about the people who are already working and want driver licenses not about the people who are looking for jobs.( but praying to God no to find one)
ok, let me get this straight, you say this amnesty will only be for the ones here? so, just how many are we talking about?

... YOU don't know????

oh. you say we will be able to confirm that these "people" are eligible for the amnesty because they have "records" to prove they were here?

records that in all probability are stolen ids or false ids. right?

what's stopping anyone from just making one up? the answer - nobody.

we could have somebody on the other side of the border pushing these false ids out by the millions. passing them to people for a buck as they get closer to the border.

so, how long do you think it will take to confirm each and every one of the applications that we receive for the amnesty? mind you, the border patrol says there are over 50+ MILLION.

do you think there will be mistakes made? of course, you say.

then, there is the matter of those who think they might just get lucky if they try for the hell of it. let's say there are another 50+ million in this group. hey. since it will probably take about 20 years for all these applications to be processed, the very worst is - they will be able to stay in the usa for those 20 years. right?

...living off the taxes that we americans paid into. forcing us citizens to compete with them on jobs where the money they make, they will send back to their home countries.

yeah. like I want this to happen. nobody in their right mind would want this. it's a bomb about to explode.

if the government cared at all, they would just enforce the laws in place. and deport all these illegals. they are not suppose to be here.

yeah. I know. you say they are just here to earn money to feed their families...reality is there are BILLIONS on this planet that want to do the same thing.

where do we draw the line?

logic dictates NO AMNESTY.
ignorantsmakemem ad

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2013

Asian Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
ok, let me get this straight, you say this amnesty will only be for the ones here? so, just how many are we talking about?
... YOU don't know????
oh. you say we will be able to confirm that these "people" are eligible for the amnesty because they have "records" to prove they were here?
records that in all probability are stolen ids or false ids. right?
what's stopping anyone from just making one up? the answer - nobody.
we could have somebody on the other side of the border pushing these false ids out by the millions. passing them to people for a buck as they get closer to the border.
so, how long do you think it will take to confirm each and every one of the applications that we receive for the amnesty? mind you, the border patrol says there are over 50+ MILLION.
do you think there will be mistakes made? of course, you say.
then, there is the matter of those who think they might just get lucky if they try for the hell of it. let's say there are another 50+ million in this group. hey. since it will probably take about 20 years for all these applications to be processed, the very worst is - they will be able to stay in the usa for those 20 years. right?
...living off the taxes that we americans paid into. forcing us citizens to compete with them on jobs where the money they make, they will send back to their home countries.
yeah. like I want this to happen. nobody in their right mind would want this. it's a bomb about to explode.
if the government cared at all, they would just enforce the laws in place. and deport all these illegals. they are not suppose to be here.
yeah. I know. you say they are just here to earn money to feed their families...reality is there are BILLIONS on this planet that want to do the same thing.
where do we draw the line?
logic dictates NO AMNESTY.
I rest my case because you are not ignorant, you are rasist. Thinking that all people that cross the border for better job opportunities commit fraud and identity theft is generalizing a bit too much. Would be like me saying all Asian guys are greedy and malinchist. I just wish I will have the opportunity to see your face when they approve the amnesty. Same face you made when president Obama was re-elected, same face you made when Obamacare was introduced. You won't be able to do anything even with all the hate you have inside, and that is what makes me so peaceful.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2013

Judged:

ignorantsmakememad wrote:
<quoted text>
I rest my case because you are not ignorant, you are rasist. Thinking that all people that cross the border for better job opportunities commit fraud and identity theft is generalizing a bit too much. Would be like me saying all Asian guys are greedy and malinchist. I just wish I will have the opportunity to see your face when they approve the amnesty. Same face you made when president Obama was re-elected, same face you made when Obamacare was introduced. You won't be able to do anything even with all the hate you have inside, and that is what makes me so peaceful.
if you don't come over legally, you are coming over illegally.

that is not a racist statement.

if you come over illegally, you broke a law. pure and simple.

if you enter my home without my permission, it is true, I will hate you. wouldn't you do the same?

if I lived in your home without YOUR permission, ate your food, forced you to pay for my education, your medical care, and spit in YOUR face while doing all this, wouldn't you hate me?

if you said no, you are a liar.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2013

<quoted text>
you won't be so peaceful when we confiscate all your assets, and deport you and everybody in your family out of MY country with just the clothes on your back.

it happened before 3 times with hoover, truman, and eisenhower, it's going to happen again.

like I said, no amnesty legislation has been approved for the last 15+ years, what makes you think it will be any different now?

obama's term is almost over. and that's that. NEXT!

dream all you want. but do so in your country. not mine.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2013

<quoted text>
Berwyn and Cicero are dumps.
kelly

Sugar Grove, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2013

Judged:

This country is lost because of people that still think Odumbo is God.
They would follow this mistake to the ends of the earth, and damn the nation.
What a miserable, lying, unprepared idiot Odumbo has been. But his lemmings will sing his praises as the nation slides into economic and diplomatic default.

God bless the dumb, for they shall destroy the nation
Responsibility

Petaluma, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2013

Judged:

kelly wrote:
God bless the dumb, for they shall destroy the nation
"You don't like a particular policy or a particular president? Then argue for your position. Go out there and win an election'.(Second term president)
kelly

Sugar Grove, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2013

Judged:

Responsibility wrote:
<quoted text>
"You don't like a particular policy or a particular president? Then argue for your position. Go out there and win an election'.(Second term president)
You have to be so proud of such a bumbling idiot.
Congratulations on having enough people on the government tit to keep electing such destructive amateur.
The unfortunate fact is that the takers will eventually take to much from the earners and the balance will tip. Then the takers will be screwed, but of course you can't recognize that.
Good luck, and goodbye.
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2013

Judged:

kelly wrote:
<quoted text>
You have to be so proud of such a bumbling idiot.
Congratulations on having enough people on the government tit to keep electing such destructive amateur.
The unfortunate fact is that the takers will eventually take to much from the earners and the balance will tip. Then the takers will be screwed, but of course you can't recognize that.
Good luck, and goodbye.
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx...
It might be time to consider not investing in gold or silver, but rather in lead. There will be many of the "takers" trying to take from the earners who have diligently worked their entire lives to give a good life to their families. This mentality is being encouraged by this inane administration. Nobody deserves anything that they didn't work to attain!
Pragmatist

Aurora, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 31, 2013

Judged:

Asian Guy wrote:
I can see 100+ million coming over from mainland china alone if an amnesty were approved.
how many more from india, russia, pakistan, etc?
tell me I'm wrong.
in the past, we didn't have out of control amnesty because most didn't know anything about the usa. but with the internet so prevalent, that is not the case anymore.
again, tell me I'm wrong.
While I generally agree with the premise of your arguments Asian Guy, this bit here is going a little overboard with the hyperbole.

You mentioned that these mass millions are dirt poor, yet would be applying for amnesty. My question is: How would they all get here from mainland China, or any other place that is half a world away?

Unless there are magical logistics fairies that will scoop them all up and whisk them here for free, no questions asked, then perhaps you have a point.

Let's be practical.

There may be a surge in organized crime and trafficking, but even with their resources they won't be able to pull off hundreds of millions from all parts of the world without anybody noticing.

So, yes - I am telling you that, on this example, you are wrong.

Let's not be like Goebbels making exaggerated and/or repeated claims.

With that said...

The crux of the matter is we got ourselves into this mess by being lax with enforcement. As many have stated, we don't need new laws, we just need to enforce the ones we already have.

We are seeing this kind of behavior running rampant in our country in other places (such as banking)- it's not limited to just immigration. I wish I could offer a reason for why this is, but alas, I'm not a sociologist, so all I can do is speculate based on anecdotal evidence:

* Maybe as technology advances people are getting lazier. I grew up in the 70s before the interwebs was a thing. If I needed to do research, I had to go to a library. Most government services required us to use the telephone, or snail mail, or (gasp) get off our dead asses and use the Shoe Leather Express. Now all I hear on the news is this business about the ObamaCare website and how the future of the country hinges on it. Make of this what you will.

* Maybe as the economy continues its sluggish pace and inflation eats up more and more of the average person's (sometimes) living wage, the incentive to do a well-done job is falling by the wayside. I could poll my friends and ask them the following: If you got paid more at your current job, how much harder would you work?-and- If you, for whatever reason, got paid less at your current job, how much harder would you work? I'd bet a million bucks that the answer to the first question would be positive, while the answer to the second a resounding negative. Perhaps we need to seriously realign our perception of value. Make of this what you will.

* Maybe as our society evolves and we become more and more isolated from each other and our communities, our attitudes are starting to be reflected in public policy. Again, when I was young, everybody knew everybody in our neighborhood and, you know, actually gave a shit. Arguments were usually settled amicably without character assassinations and/or coming to blows. Today? Not nearly as much, and it's pretty sad. As hard as some of us fight for rights & equality, we are turning a blind eye to our growing intolerance with one another. Make of this what you will.

And I'll throw in a fun one just to lighten the mood:

* Alien mind control. Get out your tinfoil hats.

Back on the topic of Immigration Reform(tm), let's not forget one of the oldest axioms of capitalism.

Marketing 101: Create need, Offer solution.

We already have an adequate solution, what's the agenda behind this "new" one? It seems like the conversation is steered and fixed on this reform, as if no other real solutions exist.

Why is that?(rhetorical)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 31, 2013

Judged:

Pragmatist wrote:
<quoted text>
While I generally agree with the premise of your arguments Asian Guy, this bit here is going a little overboard with the hyperbole.
You mentioned that these mass millions are dirt poor, yet would be applying for amnesty. My question is: How would they all get here from mainland China, or any other place that is half a world away?
Unless there are magical logistics fairies that will scoop them all up and whisk them here for free, no questions asked, then perhaps you have a point.
Let's be practical.
There may be a surge in organized crime and trafficking, but even with their resources they won't be able to pull off hundreds of millions from all parts of the world without anybody noticing.
So, yes - I am telling you that, on this example, you are wrong.
Let's not be like Goebbels making exaggerated and/or repeated claims.
With that said...
The crux of the matter is we got ourselves into this mess by being lax with enforcement. As many have stated, we don't need new laws, we just need to enforce the ones we already have.
We are seeing this kind of behavior running rampant in our country in other places (such as banking)- it's not limited to just immigration. I wish I could offer a reason for why this is, but alas, I'm not a sociologist, so all I can do is speculate based on anecdotal evidence:
* Maybe as technology advances people are getting lazier. I grew up in the 70s before the interwebs was a thing. If I needed to do research, I had to go to a library. Most government services required us to use the telephone, or snail mail, or (gasp) get off our dead asses and use the Shoe Leather Express. Now all I hear on the news is this business about the ObamaCare website and how the future of the country hinges on it. Make of this what you will.
* Maybe as the economy continues its sluggish pace and inflation eats up more and more of the average person's (sometimes) living wage, the incentive to do a well-done job is falling by the wayside. I could poll my friends and ask them the following: If you got paid more at your current job, how much harder would you work?-and- If you, for whatever reason, got paid less at your current job, how much harder would you work? I'd bet a million bucks that the answer to the first question would be positive, while the answer to the second a resounding negative. Perhaps we need to seriously realign our perception of value. Make of this what you will.
* Maybe as our society evolves and we become more and more isolated from each other and our communities, our attitudes are starting to be reflected in public policy. Again, when I was young, everybody knew everybody in our neighborhood and, you know, actually gave a shit. Arguments were usually settled amicably without character assassinations and/or coming to blows. Today? Not nearly as much, and it's pretty sad. As hard as some of us fight for rights & equality, we are turning a blind eye to our growing intolerance with one another. Make of this what you will.
And I'll throw in a fun one just to lighten the mood:
* Alien mind control. Get out your tinfoil hats.
Back on the topic of Immigration Reform(tm), let's not forget one of the oldest axioms of capitalism.
Marketing 101: Create need, Offer solution.
We already have an adequate solution, what's the agenda behind this "new" one? It seems like the conversation is steered and fixed on this reform, as if no other real solutions exist.
Why is that?(rhetorical)
so, you don't think it is possible that 100+ million illegals could apply for an amnesty because the logistics don't add up?

why is that?

just south of the border, we have over 650 million. and let's not forget that the world population is over 6 billion.

the price of a one way airplane ticket from anywhere in the world to the americas can be as low as a thousand dollars.

just out of curiosity, what would you suggest we do if 100+ million applicants for an amnesty suddenly appear?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 3 min Calvin_Coolish 150,991
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min CUT TO THE CHEESE 1,099,032
The President has failed us (Jun '12) 4 min Cheech the Conser... 255,556
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 7 min One Ball Mahz 49,376
Americans strongly opposed airstrikes in Syria ... 11 min Faith 2
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 24 min Big Sky 305,427
Obama Wants New ISIS War Plan ASAP 25 min Lawrence Wolf 10
New fear: What happens in Ferguson if no charges? 29 min kuda 224
Teen's Shooting Highlights Racial Tension 1 hr Hansup Doan Shoe 1,245
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

US Politics People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••