Al Jazeera acquires Al Gore's Current TV

There are 12 comments on the Jan 2, 2013, CBS News story titled Al Jazeera acquires Al Gore's Current TV. In it, CBS News reports that:

Al-Jazeera, the Pan-Arab news channel that struggled to win space on American cable television, has acquired Current TV, boosting its reach nearly ninefold to about 40 million homes.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBS News.

First Prev
of 11
Next Last
Therealnews com

Bay Shore, NY

#239 Jan 9, 2013
maddmaxx7 wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree, I am still free to make my own fortune and as I do the republicans will support me and try to leave me alone, the dems will want to take most of what I earn and create.
I don't dent that the wealthy have a bigger voice in government, that's just the way it is and always be.
The alternative is communism and we know what a failure that always is.
maddmaxx, I know for a fact that the Democrats sold out our masses many years ago. Bill Clinton and all the Newt Gingrich Republicans terminated Glass/Steall, 1996 Telecommunications bill, and passed NAFTA which only benefits the wealthy few who own most of Congress.

You seem to still believe the Republican party represents 99% of all Americans.

This phony baloney fiscal cliff just proved that both parties do not represent 99% of all American.

=======

"We can have democracy in this country or we can have great concentrated wealth in the hands of a few, but we cannot have both."
--Louis Brandeis Supreme Court Justice 1941

"The two greatest obstacles to democracy in the United States are, first, the widespread delusion among the poor that we have a democracy, and second, the chronic terror among the rich, lest we get it."
--Edward Dowling

Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of state and corporate power.
--Benito Mussolini

=========

The Truth Behind the Fiscal Cliff’s Reality TV Show
January 4, 2013 / http://tinyurl.com/b7klghn
To appreciate how the kabuki theater works, consider three big outcomes of the fiscal cliff legislation that the attendant reality TV show never highlighted:
1. Bush defeats Clinton: President Clinton’s tax rates delivered big budget surpluses and one of history’s strongest rates of economic growth. By contrast, President Bush’s cuts to those tax rates birthed massive deficits and the slowest rate of economic growth in modern history. Yet, faced with the fiscal cliff’s choice between Clinton and Bush tax rates, both parties agreed to ratify almost all of the latter.
For Republicans, this victory was summed up by Bush’s former spokesman, Ari Fleischer, who said simply,“it’s fantastic.” For Democrats, their triumphant rhetoric about their one small win - restoring Clinton rates on income above $400,000 - obscures a humiliating truth. Essentially, the party that spent so much political capital to modestly raise taxes and restore fiscal sanity after the Reagan binge was bullied into undoing much of its own fiscal legacy.
2. Nobody in Washington cares about deficits: During December’s “fiscal cliff” TV show, D.C.‘s reality stars told us that they were focused on reducing the budget deficit. But, according to the Congressional Budget Office, the final bill will increase the budget deficit by $4 trillion.
3. Corporate welfare is sacrosanct: For all the effort to make wasteful spending the villain in the “fiscal cliff” TV show, Congress ultimately refused to touch that spending. Somehow, defense contractor largesse in the bloated Pentagon budget was off the table. Somehow, subsidies to corporate agribusiness were separated from the negotiations and then extended. Meanwhile, as the Roosevelt Institution’s Matt Stoller documented, the final “fiscal cliff” bill included taxpayer handouts for everything from NASCAR racetracks, to Hollywood studios, to a new Goldman Sachs headquarters.
http://www.commondreams.org/view/2013/01/04
McGruff

Elizabethtown, KY

#240 Jan 10, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>As long as it's legally done, you have no complaints. After all, you support those things when rightie politicians and Wall St. thugs do them.
hypocrite is the point. Gore is a hypocrite. Even the employees at current tv say so

“Stop the Brain Rot”

Since: Jan 12

Take a Looonng Vacation

#241 Jan 10, 2013
maddmaxx7 wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree, I am still free to make my own fortune and as I do the republicans will support me and try to leave me alone, the dems will want to take most of what I earn and create.
I don't dent that the wealthy have a bigger voice in government, that's just the way it is and always be.
The alternative is communism and we know what a failure that always is.
The alternative to a corrupt, plutocratic one-party Republic is Communism?

You really aren't very smart or rational, are you?

“Stop the Brain Rot”

Since: Jan 12

Take a Looonng Vacation

#242 Jan 10, 2013
McGruff wrote:
<quoted text>
hypocrite is the point. Gore is a hypocrite. Even the employees at current tv say so
No one cares. Take your meds and get a nap. When you come back, try to cut down on the lying, slander, and abuse. People might stop laughing at you then...:)

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#243 Jan 10, 2013
The good news is at least al Jazeera will be more honest and less anti American then MSNBC qnd Current TV.
McGruff

Elizabethtown, KY

#244 Jan 10, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>No one cares. Take your meds and get a nap. When you come back, try to cut down on the lying, slander, and abuse. People might stop laughing at you then...:)
well the employees of current tv cares.

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/tv/curr...
Therealnews com

Bay Shore, NY

#245 Jan 10, 2013
californio wrote:
The good news is at least al Jazeera will be more honest and less anti American then MSNBC qnd Current TV.
Rush "From Drugs" Lying Corporatist Limbaugh is Anti American that is why he never speaks against the corruption on Wall Street and his corporate sponsers who pay him Multi-Millions of dollars a year.

You also seem to be a Frank Luntz believer.

Svengali Frank Luntz changed the wording from Estate Tax to Death Tax so people like yourself will endorse it.

It only applies to Millionaires and Billionaires.

Smarten Up.

=========

Outfoxed: Rupert Murdoch's War on Journalism
http://tinyurl.com/bvfdak5

Wall St Consultant Frank Luntz Pens Memo On How To Channel Economic Anxiety Into Protecting Wall St Abuses / http://tinyurl.com/ybdyhdp
Last Saturday, at the lobbyist-organized GOP retreat, President Obama called out GOP strategist Frank Luntz for pursuing tactics meant to simply “box in Obama” rather than pursue substantive policy debate. True to form, Luntz has released a new memo — obtained by the Huffington Post — which lays out the arguments and language Republicans should use to kill financial reform. Luntz, who gained national recognition for his role in shaping the buzzword-heavy Contract for America with Newt Gingrich in 1994, has built a sizable business selling his messaging advice to both corporations and Republican campaigns.
The new memo instructs opponents of financial reform to simply lie about reform legislation, and to twist economic anxiety resulting from the recession into fear of any government effort to fix the underlying cause of the financial crisis. The most dishonest argument is that financial reform would “punish” taxpayers while rewarding “big banks and credit card companies.” In reality, top financial industry lobbyists are not only fighting proposed oversight regulations, but have said recently that they are opposed to “any regulation” at all.
Luntz, ever the publicity hound, leaks his memos out to the media to claim credit for the Republican charge against reforming Wall Street. While he is certainly a driving force behind much of the GOP misinformation, a closer look at his client list reveals that he is in fact being paid by the finance industry:

----
2 posts removed

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#248 Jan 10, 2013
maddmaxx7 wrote:
<quoted text>
Both parties have had ample opportunities to tinker with our tax system, neither ever do much about the perceived inequalities. I have no reason to hate big business, they have made our opulent lifestyles possible.
Everyone has opportunity to participate, I say F those who don't out of laziness, stupidity, etc.
Country where the government and corporations co operate more then the USA, Such as Sweden, Japan and Singapore seem to do quiet well.
Fact is nobody makes maoney unless everyone does. I mean if we are all poor who are those corporations going to sell those $100 tennis shoes and 60 inch TV to?Fact is most of what we buy is stuff we dont really need.Chances are Your Grandparent only had one car in the Family a much smaller TV( If they had a TV at all) and far less in shoes and clothes then we do today.
and for the record I quit listening to Rush back in the early 90's when he started taking himself seriously
Therealnews com

Bay Shore, NY

#249 Jan 11, 2013
maddmaxx7 wrote:
<quoted text>
Both parties have had ample opportunities to tinker with our tax system, neither ever do much about the perceived inequalities. I have no reason to hate big business, they have made our opulent lifestyles possible.
Everyone has opportunity to participate, I say F those who don't out of laziness, stupidity, etc.
Both parties used our tax code to benefit their corporate masters.

That is why our tax code has more than 76,000 pages.

That is thousands of pages of benefits for the wealthiest and does not benefit average Americans.

Once Senator Hollings retired and did not take a lobbying job on K-Street, he can tell us the truth.

=======

They're All Against Jobs
by Sen. Fritz Hollings / December 20, 2009 / http://tinyurl.com/ydr27ze
Who is against jobs in the United States? The big banks, Wall Street, the Council on Foreign Relations, the Business Roundtable, the United States Chamber of Commerce, the National Retail Federation, Corporate America, the President of the United States, Congress of the United States. Everyone is crying for jobs, but no one seems to understand why there aren't any. And the reason for those opposing jobs is money.
Beginning in 1973, big banks made most of their profit outside of the United States. Industries off-shoring, investing, banks financing the investments, transfer fees, fees and interest on the loans made for bigger profits. Long since, the big banks under the leadership of David Rockefeller have led the way to off-shore and make a bigger profit. Goldman Sachs, AIG, Citicorp and Wall Street, conspiring for a bailout and now using it for bonuses, make more money from the off-shored operations.
http://www.commondreams.org/view/2009/12/20-6
brown eyes

Christiansburg, VA

#250 Jan 18, 2013
I agree NATO let's finish what we started. GF008 Safer World 2013.
brown eyes

Christiansburg, VA

#251 Jan 18, 2013
Republican Party is sounding better. Reagan would be proud. GF008 Safer World 2013.
brown eyes

Christiansburg, VA

#252 Jan 18, 2013
I bought child a teddy bear 10 years ago to stop argument over red stuffed dog. GF008 Safer World 2013.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Clinton charities will refile tax returns, audi... 8 min Obamas Stink 127
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 14 min Tinka 160,757
News 'Deep-Seated Cultural Codes, Religious Beliefs ... 15 min serfs up 28
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 25 min OzRitz 52,844
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 26 min OzRitz 1,219,664
News 5 Reasons The American Dream Is Eluding Black P... 31 min Redefined 326
News Loretta Lynch Heads for Confirmation as Attorne... 37 min serfs up 21
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 2 hr Quirky 324,149
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 2 hr HILLARY 2016 179,017
News Biden: 'Guys a you have to step up' to fight vi... 3 hr Christsharians on... 73
More from around the web