Paul: '16 voters ready for Libertarian

Paul: '16 voters ready for Libertarian

There are 167 comments on the Politico story from Feb 17, 2013, titled Paul: '16 voters ready for Libertarian. In it, Politico reports that:

Sen. Rand Paul says he'll wait until 2014 to decide whether to run for president, but he believes voters are ready for a Libertarian-minded Republican candidate.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Politico.

Cat74

United States

#43 Feb 18, 2013
I think it will be a Carson-Rubio ticket, and Rubio will pic up the Democrats glandular vote.

“Happiness comes through giving”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#44 Feb 18, 2013
sickofit wrote:
<quoted text>
Small government,keep USA out of wars equality for ALL people....keep religion out of government and follow the constitution word for word.
Does "true" Libertarianism also include opposition to Medicare, Social Security, right to denial of customers in restaurants based on skin color, no federal safety nets for the poor, no child labor laws, no consumer protection laws?
sickofit

Owatonna, MN

#45 Feb 18, 2013
And again us TRUE conservatives will have to vote Libertarian. Until the GOp puts up a conservative we have no choice.

“Make America Great Again”

Since: Jun 07

Bring Obama Back!

#46 Feb 18, 2013
Niether of the Above wrote:
<quoted text>HMMM Since 1980, I do the math for you, that is the last 32 years the GOP has held the WH 24 years or 75% of the time. "We The People" occupy both sides of the road, you flake!
Do the math since the demographics changed in 2008… get back to me on that one ASAP, LOL!
sickofit

Owatonna, MN

#47 Feb 18, 2013
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>Does "true" Libertarianism also include opposition to Medicare, Social Security, right to denial of customers in restaurants based on skin color, no federal safety nets for the poor, no child labor laws, no consumer protection laws?
Medicare and social programs are all UNCONSTITUTIONAL...They force tax payers to support others. And yes any business should be able to deny servcie to anyone for any reason...Read the Constitution. If not in there it is not needed.

Now that I said I dont think we should now cut off medicare and social programs would do more harm and cost more to stop them. But we should figure way to start slowly weaning them out. Like a 50-100 year plan..So that in 100 years there is NO ZERO ZIP social programs.
Cat74

United States

#48 Feb 18, 2013
Nothing changed excpt Democrats took the illegal aliens under their tent to cast illegal votes. We will have another law abiding Administration some day, and the illegals will be handled in a lawful way. As more, and more people home school their children we will have better educated voters. As an example Chicago teachers want to eliminate standrdized testing. They fear testing could be used to make them accountable. Now we know why they hated NCLB. They cannot teach.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#49 Feb 18, 2013
Marine Corp Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
Do the math since the demographics changed in 2008… get back to me on that one ASAP, LOL!
You won by less than 3.5% of the total vote cast. Take away 98% black voters voting simply because he was black,(which I thought was funny, because he is half white, but)and let see how the DNC defends 8 years of misery. When the issues are discussed, you lose!

Location hidden

#50 Feb 18, 2013
sickofit wrote:
<quoted text>
Medicare and social programs are all UNCONSTITUTIONAL...They force tax payers to support others. And yes any business should be able to deny servcie to anyone for any reason...Read the Constitution. If not in there it is not needed.
Now that I said I dont think we should now cut off medicare and social programs would do more harm and cost more to stop them. But we should figure way to start slowly weaning them out. Like a 50-100 year plan..So that in 100 years there is NO ZERO ZIP social programs.
Just wanted to make sure what you meant. We are in stark disagreement.

As to your assertion that these social programs are unconstitutional, that seems groudless. Indeed, we need go no further than the Preamble, and the phrase reading "...promote the general welfare...". A similar reference is made in Section 8 of the Constitution. Further, the Constitution is silent on whether or not specific social programs are lawful.
Cat74

United States

#51 Feb 18, 2013
Since when does "promoting the general welfare" mean we have to take drug addicts, alcoholics, degenerates, and their offspring to raise. This country was built by strong people, people with character who raised their own children, built cities, and worked hard, not the scum of the earth, and free loaders.

Since: Jan 12

Commonwealth of Pennsylvania

#52 Feb 18, 2013
Rand Paul is a freaking idiot. His father was at least right when it came to US imperial foreign policy and drug war.
sickofit

Owatonna, MN

#53 Feb 18, 2013
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>Just wanted to make sure what you meant. We are in stark disagreement.
As to your assertion that these social programs are unconstitutional, that seems groudless. Indeed, we need go no further than the Preamble, and the phrase reading "...promote the general welfare...". A similar reference is made in Section 8 of the Constitution. Further, the Constitution is silent on whether or not specific social programs are lawful.
Groundless???? How so? Show me in Constitution it says tax payers must take care of the sick poor and old.....OH AND DONT POST THE GENERAL WELFARE BS..........General welfare means to protect rights and from invasion..NOT FOR GENERATIONAL WELFARE AND HANDOUTS...

That whole general welfare crap has been proven even by many liberals to not mean welfare and handouts. For it to be for the general good of all we would all benefit from it...I pay taxes so some dont have to work...HOW DO IT BENEFIT FROM THAT GENERAL WELFARE????????
sickofit

Owatonna, MN

#54 Feb 18, 2013
General welfare preamble meant a service everyone would benefit from.Like roads and bridges and polcie and teachers and firemen. General welfare did not mean for handouts. GENERAL.....means for all people. How is some getting free ride why others pay for it GENERAL
sickofit

Owatonna, MN

#55 Feb 18, 2013
That said I do not think we can just cut it off. Of course it would sink our nation into chaos and cost wtice as much . Just saying never should ahve started.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#56 Feb 18, 2013
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>Does "true" Libertarianism also include opposition to Medicare, Social Security, right to denial of customers in restaurants based on skin color, no federal safety nets for the poor, no child labor laws, no consumer protection laws?
Yes, all of those things are part of libertarism.

“Make America Great Again”

Since: Jun 07

Bring Obama Back!

#57 Feb 18, 2013
<quoted text>
You won by less than 3.5% of the total vote cast. Take away 98% black voters voting simply because he was black,(which I thought was funny, because he is half white, but)

Winning by .3, 3.5 or 35% makes no never-mind… the only thing that matters is WINNING!
What you should find even funnier is the fact Blacks voted for Bill Clinton (and every other Democratic President) by about the same percentage (not that it matters)… but I fully understand why you need that nonsense as an add incentive to justify your vitriolic hate.
Furthermore, how stupid is that for you to “Take away” the 98% of the Black vote (which your side tried so desperately to do) when that is a key voting block of Obama’s constituents. You wasted your time and your vote, voting for the loser when ‘We the People’ had the numbers that you will never overcome… LOL!

Tawas City, Michigan

#58 Feb 18, 2013
sickofit wrote:
<quoted text>
The courts consistently rule otherwise.

Tawas City, Michigan

#59 Feb 18, 2013
<quoted text>You won by less than 3.5% of the total vote cast. Take away 98% black voters voting simply because he was black,(which I thought was funny, because he is half white, but)and let see how the DNC defends 8 years of misery. When the issues are discussed, you lose!
You can't simply take away an entire segment of the vote because you don't like them. Blacks have been voting 90%+ for Dems long before Obama was on the ticket.

The issues WERE discussed in '08 & '12; the GOPasaurs lost based on those issues.

I'm confident they GOPasaurs will continue to talk about issues like immigration & abortion & gay rights; and they will continue to lose.

Tawas City, Michigan

#60 Feb 18, 2013
sickofit wrote:
<quoted text>
Groundless???? How so? Show me in Constitution it says tax payers must take care of the sick poor and old.....OH AND DONT POST THE GENERAL WELFARE BS..........General welfare means to protect rights and from invasion..NOT FOR GENERATIONAL WELFARE AND HANDOUTS...
That whole general welfare crap has been proven even by many liberals to not mean welfare and handouts. For it to be for the general good of all we would all benefit from it...I pay taxes so some dont have to work...HOW DO IT BENEFIT FROM THAT GENERAL WELFARE????????
Again, the SCOTUS disagrees.

When you are on the SCOTUS then your opinion will matter.

Location hidden

#61 Feb 18, 2013
sickofit wrote:
<quoted text>
To address your first question, the Constitution does not limit the meaning of "general welfare", either in the Preamble or in Section 8. I believe it was you who said the Constitution should be followed word for word, and here you are interpreting it for your own biased purposes.

As for the rest of your comments, I believe I have a more compassionate feeling about our social obligations as a society than you apparently do. Further, the Constitution allows flexibility to the federal government in choosing how to allot our tax monies without explicitly approving or denying all the possibilities.
Incidentally, at least one of the founders, Alexander Hamilton, saw it my way.

Location hidden

#62 Feb 18, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, all of those things are part of libertarism.
I know.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News GOP victory lap after Georgia election win will... 1 min spud 96
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 2 min Truth is might 314,662
News POLL: Americans Trust James Comey Over Trump 14 min Ronald 506
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 18 min NTMD8OR 274,626
News Trump blasts Mueller obstruction probe on Twitter 19 min spud 112
News Wheelchair users dragged away from McConnell's ... 25 min huntcoyotes 43
News Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins another term (Nov '10) 28 min Truth is might 24,364
News James Comey fired as FBI director 41 min huntcoyotes 3,894
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 hr Grey Ghost 1,548,259
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 3 hr Ms Sassy 6,878
More from around the web