Once slow-moving threat, global warmi...

Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

There are 63930 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 14, 2008, titled Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt.... In it, Newsday reports that:

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

#45854 Apr 12, 2014
Mothra wrote:
Just the same, a "lie" is a willful attempt to deceive, which does not apply.
Well this was untrue: if it's not a wilful attempt to deceive, you'll no doubt want to concede that it is untrue.
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean "some" science, don't you?
New paper finds significant decreasing trend of Australian tropical cyclones
A paper published today in Atmospheric Science Letters finds "a significant decreasing trend in [Australian tropical cyclone] numbers at the 93–98% confidence level." The paper adds to many others finding cyclone and storm activity has decreased globally with warming, despite the opposite cries of alarmists.
http://hockeyschtick.blogspot.com/2014/04/new...
Damn that inconvenient science!
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
Er... but the science actually predicted decreasing cyclone numbers:
5.9.1 Tropical cyclones
Similar to studies for other basins, Australian region studies indicate a likely increase in the proportion of the tropical cyclones in the more intense categories, but a possible decrease in the total number of cyclones.
Since that time there has been a growing number of studies using results from medium and high resolution global climate models. The results from these studies indicate a consistent signal of fewer tropical cyclones globally in a warmer climate (Knutson et al 2006)
http://climatechangeinaustralia.gov.au/docume...

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#45855 Apr 12, 2014
A good course for all deniers who lack the understanding of how climate works and mans influence on it. I guess that would cover all of them that post here:

“The basis of the course is understanding how the earth’s climate works. We spend the vast majority of the course learning about different aspects of the course and how that drives the climate, and then we talk in the last few weeks about what humans have done that have affected the climate,” Werne said.
For Werne, climate change is a “key factor that influences the lives of college students” who may be affected by limitations on food and water as a result of the crisis.
“A lot of the cities on coasts are affected by rising sea levels. It’s going to be a big issue,” Werne said.“It may become the dominant factor in the lives of students.”
He also added that without proper education, students can’t fully understand the impact of global warming.
“It’s a hideously complex thing,” Werne said.“If you don’t understand how it works at a fundamental level, you won’t know how our activities as humans affect it.”

http://www.pittnews.com/news/article_ccd1a496...
Mothra

Tempe, AZ

#45856 Apr 12, 2014
OzRitz wrote:
A good course for all deniers...
"deniers"?... no reason to read any further --.
litesong

Everett, WA

#45857 Apr 12, 2014
motheaten wrote:
..."deniers"?... no reason to read any further --.
Since passing by science, chemistry, astronomy, physics, algebra & pre-calc in a poorly (or non-) earned hi skule DEE-plooomaa......no reason to read & reason any further.

"the green troll"

#45858 Apr 12, 2014
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
Well this was untrue: if it's not a wilful attempt to deceive, you'll no doubt want to concede that it is untrue.
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Leaving a falsehood uncorrected is a wilful attempt to deceive.

“BET DAP”

Since: Feb 09

GOOM BOWN

#45859 Apr 13, 2014
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
Your defense of what you purposefully & erroneously call a typo is..........extensive.
"The lady doth protest too much....."
lol....no one needs a defense against a mental midget like you, son.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#45860 Apr 13, 2014
OzRitz wrote:
...“It’s a hideously complex thing,”....
Chaotic too, that's why long term forecasts are impossible. Wait for the science to catch up to the hype; there's never been an experimental test of climate change mitigation published in a peer reviewed journal.

“BET DAP”

GOOM BOWN

#45861 Apr 13, 2014
charles in charge wrote:
<quoted text>
NO one is as big of a troll as you are. Not on this thread, anyway.
why not stick around then and assume the perch, stupid. you must be jealous.....since that is all you aspire to do.

are you really as stupid as litethong? i thought he was one of a kind, but with you and dem.....that idiot box seems to be getting crowded.

“BET DAP”

GOOM BOWN

#45862 Apr 13, 2014
litethong......what excuse did your wife use on this saturday night not to be home with you?
litesong

Everett, WA

#45863 Apr 13, 2014
OzRitz wrote:
A good course for all deniers.......
Since sleazy slimy steenking toxic topix AGW denier liars already passed on science, chemistry, astronomy, physics, algebra & pre-calc courses in poorly (or non-) earned hi skule DEE-plooomaas, sleazy slimy steenking toxic topix AGW denier liars have to pass on any future science, mathematics, & educational attempts.
Mothra

Tempe, AZ

#45864 Apr 13, 2014
litesong wrote:
Here's an interesting post by a "litesong" of Everett, WA bragging about killing starlings with his "excellent pellet gun" -- sort of -- he ended up stabbing it in the chest with "with my sharp Shrade blade, nearly the width of his chest, plunged it into his chest & backbone".

He had to stab it twice.

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/how-...

Are you that same litesong?
Mothra

Tempe, AZ

#45865 Apr 13, 2014
Thought Police on Patrol

Two months ago, a petition bearing more than 110,000 signatures was delivered to the Washington Post demanding a ban on any article questioning global warming. The petition arrived the day before publication of my column, which consisted of precisely that heresy.

The column ran as usual. But I was gratified by the show of intolerance because it perfectly illustrated my argument that the Left is entering a new phase of ideological agitation — no longer trying to win the debate but stopping debate altogether, banishing from public discourse any and all opposition.

The proper word for that attitude is totalitarian. It declares certain controversies over and visits serious consequences — from social ostracism to vocational defenestration — upon those who refuse to be silenced.

Sometimes the word comes from on high, as when the president of the United States declares the science of global warming to be “settled.” Anyone who disagrees is then branded “anti-science.” And better still, a “denier”— a brilliantly chosen calumny meant to impute to the climate skeptic the opprobrium normally reserved for the hatemongers and crackpots who deny the Holocaust....

Long a staple of academia, the totalitarian impulse is spreading. What to do? Defend the dissenters, even if — perhaps, especially if — you disagree with their policy. It is — it was?— the American way.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/375544/...
litesong

Everett, WA

#45866 Apr 13, 2014
litesong wrote:
Your defense of what you purposefully & erroneously call a typo is..........extensive.
//////////
"ratdownthemiddledownwron ggully" gushed:
....no one needs a defense.......
////////
litesong wrote:
On the third day, "ratdownthemiddledownwron ggully" continues its failing attempts to defend its two conflicting statements, as typos. "ratdownthemiddledownwron ggully" continues to, "....protest too much......."

Since: Apr 09

Elmont, Long Island NY

#45867 Apr 13, 2014
Mothra wrote:
Thought Police on Patrol
Two months ago, a petition bearing more than 110,000 signatures was delivered to the Washington Post demanding a ban on any article questioning global warming. The petition arrived the day before publication of my column, which consisted of precisely that heresy.
The column ran as usual. But I was gratified by the show of intolerance because it perfectly illustrated my argument that the Left is entering a new phase of ideological agitation — no longer trying to win the debate but stopping debate altogether, banishing from public discourse any and all opposition.
The proper word for that attitude is totalitarian. It declares certain controversies over and visits serious consequences — from social ostracism to vocational defenestration — upon those who refuse to be silenced.
Sometimes the word comes from on high, as when the president of the United States declares the science of global warming to be “settled.” Anyone who disagrees is then branded “anti-science.” And better still, a “denier”— a brilliantly chosen calumny meant to impute to the climate skeptic the opprobrium normally reserved for the hatemongers and crackpots who deny the Holocaust....
Long a staple of academia, the totalitarian impulse is spreading. What to do? Defend the dissenters, even if — perhaps, especially if — you disagree with their policy. It is — it was?— the American way.
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/375544/...
some views don't deserve equal time, or a debate.

We shouldn't entertain a debate that the world is flat, should we?

The science behind global warming is settled, well except for Koch Brother supported groups, with no scientific backgrounds.
ClimateScam

United States

#45868 Apr 13, 2014
I am maybe 5 miles from the Gulf of Mexico - tomorrow night it will be in the mid 30's here. Man that Global Warming sure is horrible. What an absolute scam the global warming industry has going. A complete fabrication. Excuse me - I am going to go hop in my 6.2L Powerstroke and go get something wrapped in styrofoam for lunch - it's the only way to keep it warm. Morons.
Mothra

Tempe, AZ

#45869 Apr 13, 2014
Karma is a_______ wrote:
<quoted text>
some views don't deserve equal time, or a debate.
We shouldn't entertain a debate that the world is flat, should we?
The science behind global warming is settled, well except for Koch Brother supported groups, with no scientific backgrounds.
Thank you Mr. Thought-Policeman.

Krauthammer nails it.
HeatHoax

United States

#45870 Apr 13, 2014
The global warming hoax is not even close to settled science - large portions of the hoax in fact have not surpassed the hypothesis stage scientific genius. The fact is that the Global Warming Industry is actually a political movement rather than scientific. This is why you will find that the overwhelming majority of those who work to promote the hoax come from the same political background. Global Warming is about politics and money - the science is manipulated in any way that serves the politics of the movement best. Authentic science most often holds agreement among many from diverse backgrounds and politics - it is easy to see how the Global Warming Hoax is NOT authentic science. The hoax promoters attacks those without "scientific" backgrounds - in fact this is their attack on anyone that doesn't share their same political agenda. Global Warming is politics - nothing more. It should be given the same skepticism provided to any political group - it can't hold up to examination.

“BET DAP”

GOOM BOWN

#45871 Apr 13, 2014
litesong wrote:
litesong wrote:
//////////
"ratdownthemiddledownwron ggully" gushed:
....no one needs a defense.......
////////
litesong wrote:
On the third day, "ratdownthemiddledownwron ggully" continues its failing attempts to defend its two conflicting statements, as typos. "ratdownthemiddledownwron ggully" continues to, "....protest too much......."
no conflict.....are you still confused?
Professor

Fullerton, CA

#45872 Apr 13, 2014
ClimateScam wrote:
I am maybe 5 miles from the Gulf of Mexico - tomorrow night it will be in the mid 30's here. Man that Global Warming sure is horrible. What an absolute scam the global warming industry has going. A complete fabrication. Excuse me - I am going to go hop in my 6.2L Powerstroke and go get something wrapped in styrofoam for lunch - it's the only way to keep it warm. Morons.
Big talk. You just wait 1,000 years. You'll be sorry and then we'll see who is acting like a know-it-all.

"the green troll"

#45873 Apr 13, 2014
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
Leaving a falsehood uncorrected is a wilful attempt to deceive.
Granted the original blog post was based on ignorance of climate science, it is still a falsehood, and leaving a falsehood uncorrected is a wilful attempt to deceive.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 2 min Rider on the Storm 16,649
News Can Trump pardon anyone? Himself? Can he fire M... 3 min Palin s Turkey Th... 34
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Fitius T Bluster 1,565,221
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 7 min Dr Guru 242,281
News Democrats aim to blast Trump for favoring wealthy 7 min ShowPony 1,116
News Democrats Announce Bipartisan Agreement on Sanc... 7 min Red Crosse 20
News Democrats, civil rights group aim to block Trum... 8 min inbred Genius 142
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 16 min RuffnReddy 221,919
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 1 hr CodeTalker 279,804
More from around the web