Mormon church explains defunct ban on...

Mormon church explains defunct ban on blacks in priesthood

There are 19 comments on the Lincoln Daily News story from Dec 11, 2013, titled Mormon church explains defunct ban on blacks in priesthood. In it, Lincoln Daily News reports that:

Thirty-five years after lifting a ban on blacks entering the priesthood, the Mormon church has offered an explanation for a practice that was in place for more than 100 years, saying it was rooted in the racism of the times.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lincoln Daily News.

“AFRO beauty”

Since: Oct 13

Location hidden

#1 Dec 12, 2013
why would any Blamerican want to go to a mormon church in the first place?
1 post removed
Barry

Carmel, IN

#3 Dec 12, 2013
So how do you say, "we don't want those black muthas in our church in Mormon religious speak?"

Since: Dec 12

Washington, UT

#4 Dec 14, 2013
The LDS church leaders are such shortsighted "prophets" that they're exhibiting the same brand of misguided bigotry with regard to sexual orientation. Someday they'll call their official homophobic policies of today "theories" of the past too. Mark my words.

It just occurred to me that LDS church leadership maintained its racist, discriminatory doctrines even up tol 14 years AFTER the Civil Rights Act was passed, and now they're excusing it all as just theories. Prophet's? I think not.

Theres an article in the Tribune about the LDS church leaders' new statement titled "Race and the Priesthood." Of course, many are praising the statement as wonderful, but I'd like to know exactly what's worthy of praise?

1- Should we praise the Brethren for rationalizing the ban as socially accepted racism at the time?

2- Should we praise them for grossly misrepresenting Brigham Young's statement to the point of lying?

3- Should we praise them for suggesting that the ban was based on mere "theories" when in fact it was doctrine that was reaffirmed in an official statement by the First Presidency FIVE YEARS AFTER the Civil Rights Act was passed?

4- Should we praise them for stopping short of a long overdue apology?

5- Should we praise them for now finally admitting that Brigham Young was the source of the racist policy when just months earlier they publicly claimed they had no idea how it came about? "It's so wonderful, Brethren, that you're less dishonest about this than you were a few months ago!" Is that worthy of praise?

If anything is praiseworthy then we should also praise a bully for ending his long abuse of another when he walks away, without apology, and while justifying it as socially accepted abuse at the time.
1 post removed
Swedenforever

Hyattsville, MD

#6 Aug 2, 2014
Gopriests
2 posts removed
Swedenforever

Silver Spring, MD

#9 Aug 2, 2014
Grim Reaper 4 Picks wrote:
I'm an atheist, but I would join the Mormon church tomorrow if they advocated the systematic slaughter of all n|ghurs on Earf.
Start with the ones in the Mormon Church

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#10 Aug 13, 2014
Klaus666 wrote:
These cowardly Mormons of today make me sick! Original Mormon doctrine that stated that non-Whites were subhuman and that race mixing was a crime punishable by death was correct. But, some traditional Mormon sects adhere to that correct original doctrine and those sects are growing.
Didnt they posthumously baptize orthodox jews?
Nosey

Middleburg, FL

#11 Mar 14, 2015
Mormons suck!
JosephSmith

Modesto, CA

#12 Mar 15, 2015
I don't like negroes
Please refrain from posting the truth or other offensive material.
Be dishonest. Appropriate posts may be removed by the moderator.
BrighamYoung

Modesto, CA

#13 Mar 15, 2015
I concur!
netruthteller

Phoenix, AZ

#14 Mar 15, 2015
JosephSmith wrote:
I don't like negroes
Actually he was friends with blacks
netruthteller

Phoenix, AZ

#15 Mar 15, 2015
JosephSmith wrote:
I don't like negroes
And he taught honestly
Nosey

Middleburg, FL

#16 Mar 15, 2015
Mormon religion is nothing more but a damn occult!!
netruthteller

Phoenix, AZ

#17 Mar 16, 2015
Nosey wrote:
Mormon religion is nothing more but a damn occult!!
Only if Christianity is counted as a cult
1 post removed
Big Knob

Van Nuys, CA

#19 Mar 16, 2015
netruthteller wrote:
<quoted text>
White jesus is a cult a myth and a lie..........
Who

Modesto, CA

#20 Mar 16, 2015
netruthteller wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, mormonizm is quite far away from Xty. mormonizm is a cult. Christianity is not a cult.
Let me guess...you're a mormonz, right?
JosephSmith

Modesto, CA

#21 Mar 16, 2015
netruthteller wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually he was friends with blacks
"We can be "friends" with the blacks, but that doesn't mean that we have to treat them....you know....um.......equally. "
netruthteller

United States

#22 Mar 20, 2015
Who wrote:
<quoted text>Well, mormonizm is quite far away from Xty. mormonizm is a cult. Christianity is not a cult.
Let me guess...you're a mormonz, right?
If you really did look up truth telling sites like www.mormon.org them you would agree with me
netruthteller

United States

#23 Mar 20, 2015
JosephSmith wrote:
<quoted text>"We can be "friends" with the blacks, but that doesn't mean that we have to treat them....you know....um.......equally. "
Actually he did treat them as equals
Who

Modesto, CA

#24 Mar 20, 2015
I've got a lot on my platter so whatever. They were not allowed into the Mormon priesthood and this is historical fact. Only recently has this changed, and everything else out there that contradicts what I just wrote is a whitewash.
My name is Who.
How about you?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Realtime 1,706,001
News If Donald Trump Was President, Here's What Woul... (Oct '15) 3 min hillbillyBanger 16,617
News Trump once again wants to cut energy assistance... 3 min CodeTalker 37
News White House Supports Better Background Checks A... 4 min Dee Dee Dee 40
News California Senate to weigh discipline for accus... 9 min Cordwainer Trout 1
News Dem Sen Nelson: 'Let's Get These Assault Weapon... 11 min 3 PC WHITE MEAT BAND 190
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 23 min EditorAtLarge 59,652
News Florida teen shooting survivors announce 'March... 41 min Politico Incorrecto 47
News FBI in public fight with Trump over releasing R... 6 hr ima-Ilis Myka Ash... 1,542
News 'The View' co-hosts mock Mike Pence's faith, br... 9 hr Pat Robertson s F... 30
More from around the web