Where Is the Place for Devout Gay Fam...

Where Is the Place for Devout Gay Families in the Church?

There are 49 comments on the The Atlantic story from Oct 18, 2015, titled Where Is the Place for Devout Gay Families in the Church?. In it, The Atlantic reports that:

During the pope's visit, she sang in the official choir of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia, which greeted Francis during the weekend's masses. The Fores regularly attend St. Vincent de Paul Church in the Germantown neighborhood of Philly, where they have participated on and off in gay-and-lesbian spirituality groups.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Atlantic.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Gremlin

United States

#1 Oct 18, 2015
Anti gays who call themselves "Christians" are the source of the problem of gay families not feeling welcome in church. Makes you want to chuckle when you read church signs saying "all are welcome."
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#2 Oct 18, 2015
Gremlin wrote:
Anti gays who call themselves "Christians" are the source of the problem of gay families not feeling welcome in church. Makes you want to chuckle when you read church signs saying "all are welcome."
Gays are the source of their problem. They are welcome to attend services. If they feel uncomfortable it is not the fault of the church. They know they are at odds with the teachings of the church.
Gremlin

United States

#3 Oct 18, 2015
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Gays are the source of their problem. They are welcome to attend services. If they feel uncomfortable it is not the fault of the church. They know they are at odds with the teachings of the church.
Do you think we feel welcome in church when a minister says in his sermon that gays are going to hell? And I don't think Westboro Baptist exactly has a welcoming attitude either. As always, Wondering, you have no clue what you're talking about. No surprise, because you have all the privileges that come with being a straight white male.
1 post removed
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#5 Oct 18, 2015
Gremlin wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you think we feel welcome in church when a minister says in his sermon that gays are going to hell? And I don't think Westboro Baptist exactly has a welcoming attitude either. As always, Wondering, you have no clue what you're talking about. No surprise, because you have all the privileges that come with being a straight white male.
I was raised as a Catholic. I had to do all the stuff that kids have to do. First Communion, Confirmation. Church followed by Sunday School every Sunday. After Confirmation, I think I was 12, that was the end of our relationship. I attended many masses and never once heard the subject of homosexuality brought up. I went to many Sunday School classes and never heard the subject of homosexuality brought up. If you go to a church that preaches gays will burn in hell, find another church or stop going altogether.

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

#6 Oct 18, 2015
Wondering wrote:
It's just too bad that the teachings of the church are at odds with reality, and human dignity.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#7 Oct 18, 2015
EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>
It's just too bad that the teachings of the church are at odds with reality, and human dignity.
Your reality, not mine.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#8 Oct 18, 2015
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Teachings in some churches are incorrect
Xstain Mullah Aroma

Philadelphia, PA

#9 Oct 18, 2015
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Your reality, not mine.
You're repeatedly claimed that you're not religious, so "reality" has nothing to do with your posts from any standpoint.

And every other Catholic who grew up during your childhood - unless you're under 25 - did hear condemnations of homosexual conduct. You just weren't listening.
Xstain Mullah Aroma

Philadelphia, PA

#10 Oct 18, 2015
Their priests are welcoming, the congregation is welcoming, they hold hands in church. It's sort of funny that they're former nuns and that one sang in the official choir during the Pope's visit.

Who are the "cafeteria Catholics"? The normal folks in the pews who deal rationally with birth control, masturbation, divorce, pre marital sex, variations in sexual orientation, or the wizened group of misogynist males in fine dresses trying to retain as much power and control for themselves as they possibly can?

Anyway, the two could always switch to an Anglican congregation. That should be close enough for most Catholics if Episcopalianism itself is not.
Belle Sexton

Santa Cruz, CA

#11 Oct 18, 2015
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't know anything about the RCC.

As things stand currently, gay families are NOT allowed to attend ANY liturgical or sacerdotal functions of the RCC.

Technically, if any are present the liturgy must stop until they are removed.

That's Canon Law.

Both Latae Sententiae and Ferendae Sententiae Excommunications are alive and well in the RCC.
Xstain Mullah Aroma

Philadelphia, PA

#12 Oct 18, 2015
Belle Sexton wrote:
<quoted text>
As things stand currently, gay families are NOT allowed to attend ANY liturgical or sacerdotal functions of the RCC.
If you're not misstating or just making dogma up then obviously this is another example of the rcc hierarchy being the actual cafeteria catholics, since nothing like that is enforced in most cases, starting with the one highlighted in this article.

“Unconvinced”

Seattle, WA

#13 Oct 19, 2015
Wondering wrote:
Your reality, not mine.
Sure, sure, we all live in our own realities, some where it's ok to mistreat, ostracize and shame others, over something so trivial as who they love. What a good idea, praise religion. All power to separating yourself from the suffering of others, because your religion gives you your own private reality. How nice.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#14 Oct 19, 2015
If you don't like what is being preached in the church you are attending, then go find another church or start your own.

Better yet, free yourself from the shackles of religion altogether.
Belle Sexton

Santa Cruz, CA

#15 Oct 19, 2015
Xstain Mullah Aroma wrote:
<quoted text>
If you're not misstating or just making dogma up then obviously this is another example of the rcc hierarchy being the actual cafeteria catholics, since nothing like that is enforced in most cases, starting with the one highlighted in this article.
As with any law, enforcement is another matter.

Selective? Hell yeah.

The same applies to a whole slew of other "offenses", as well ... some so "severe" that even Confession is denied without a bishop's permission.

Happy reading ...

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/_INDEX....

Give speciall attention to

BOOK VI. SANCTIONS IN THE CHURCH LIBER VI. DE SANCTIONIBUS IN ECCLESIA

and

BOOK VII. PROCESSES
Belle Sexton

Santa Cruz, CA

#16 Oct 19, 2015
Xstain Mullah Aroma wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh ... and "dogma" and "Canon Law" are not the same thing.
Mitts Gold Plated Taliban

Philadelphia, PA

#17 Oct 19, 2015
Belle Sexton wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh ... and "dogma" and "Canon Law" are not the same thing.
They are if you've undergone deprogramming.
1 post removed
Texxy the Selfie Cat

Spring, TX

#19 Monday Feb 13
Try watching "The Young Pope"

In #10, the young Pope is hanging out laundry. That doesn't seem realistic. This one is
"To Catch a Pedophile."
timothew

UK

#20 Monday Feb 13
Gremlin wrote:
I Cor 6 Homosexuals will not inherit the Kingdom of God.

Revelation 14:10-11 He shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb. 11 And the smoke of their torment ascends FOREVER and ever; and they have no rest day or night,

“Unconvinced”

Seattle, WA

#21 Monday Feb 13
timothew wrote:
I Cor 6 Homosexuals will not inherit the Kingdom of God.

Revelation 14:10-11 He shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb. 11 And the smoke of their torment ascends FOREVER and ever; and they have no rest day or night,
What an awful way to treat people. Does God give some people same-sex desires JUST so he can satisfy his need to burn them?
timothew

UK

#22 Monday Feb 13
EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>

What an awful way to treat people. Does God give some people same-sex desires JUST so he can satisfy his need to burn them?
You chose Hell fire. Stop bitching.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Thousands of demonstrators protest Trump in Atl... 2 min Scratch Golfer 1,327
News Trump's state visit should be scrapped, says Lo... 2 min CZars_R_US 52
News Trump's repeated claim that he won a 'landslide... 3 min jonjedi 5,715
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 3 min Uncle Tab 259,074
News Trump supporters cheer his combative stance wit... 3 min Dalai Lama 298
Donald J Trump, our next president (Mar '16) 6 min Chilli J 2,543
News GOP at war with itself (Mar '16) 6 min Sheriff Joe 529 3,141
News Fearing deportation, undocumented mother seeks ... 9 min Texxy the Selfie Cat 164
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 23 min ritedownthemiddle 1,496,773
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 1 hr positronium 412,717
More from around the web