Senate moves Patriot Act toward exten...

Senate moves Patriot Act toward extension

There are 58 comments on the Athens Banner-Herald story from May 25, 2011, titled Senate moves Patriot Act toward extension. In it, Athens Banner-Herald reports that:

Squeezed against a deadline, the Senate late Wednesday moved past a standoff over a four-year extension of the anti-terror Patriot Act before part of it expire.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Athens Banner-Herald.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“no one told me”

Since: Dec 07

Denver

#44 May 28, 2011
TonyT1961 wrote:
<quoted text>
There's actually been quite a few. And Snow, the idea behindthis bill is in fact the stripping of individual liberties affofded to all of us. The notion that we as Americans would surrender our basic rights due to fear in and of itself shows the terrorists they have won to a degree.
Even Rand Paul was fighting against these provisions, such as the 4th ammendment violations under the Patriot Act, for which I give him credit for.
The concept is this - it is a slippery slope once you begin to surrender even the least minute of our liberties. A dangerous precedent.
Sorry T , I don't believe it or buy it, it's in place for a specific reason and a specific threat, namely Islamofascists who wish us harm. I agree the terrorists have won to a small degree as they have cost us billions, forced Bush to deal with them and making possible the ascendancy of the community organizer Obama.

What i do believe is that the far lefters and the DDDL(dimwitted and dishonest dem leadership) are the instigators of most laws and restrictions on our personal freedoms. See Bloomberg in NYC.

“no one told me”

Denver

#45 May 28, 2011
TonyT1961 wrote:
<quoted text>
There's actually been quite a few. And Snow, the idea behindthis bill is in fact the stripping of individual liberties affofded to all of us. The notion that we as Americans would surrender our basic rights due to fear in and of itself shows the terrorists they have won to a degree.
Even Rand Paul was fighting against these provisions, such as the 4th ammendment violations under the Patriot Act, for which I give him credit for.
The concept is this - it is a slippery slope once you begin to surrender even the least minute of our liberties. A dangerous precedent.
I'd love to hear of the ones you refer to.

“no one told me”

Denver

#46 May 28, 2011
swampturd wrote:
<quoted text>House R for 196 against 31. House D for 54 against 122 Senate R for 41 against 4. Senate D 31 for 19 against. Looks like it got its heaviest support from Republicans
Don't you hate it when a few Democrats vote with the Republicans to get this kind of crap passed. Do you like salt on your cow pie.
Douche bag and all around turdmuncher, stop the excuses and dissembling, your dems voted for Bush's Patriot act and so did your idol, Obumbles.

“no one told me”

Denver

#47 May 28, 2011
Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
Wanna buy a nude picture of your mother at the airport?
Not no, BUT HELL NO!

“no one told me”

Denver

#48 May 28, 2011
TonyT1961 wrote:
I must have missed the connection between the HS and the store owner. Didn't sound like she was harmed either.

“Liberal Teachers ruin Kids”

Since: Mar 09

Paradise Valley Arizona

#49 May 28, 2011
Patriot Act something even leftists love!!!!

“no one told me”

Denver

#50 May 28, 2011
TonyT1961 wrote:
My point was no American was prosecuted for a murder, bank job, robbery, etc. i read some of your links, however when some moron in the highest levels of the federal government warns returning soldiers[white ones] bear scrutiny, I don't have much sympathy for the people in your links.
drinK the hivE

Anonymous Proxy

#51 May 28, 2011
Why All This Anti-American Bill' Pass At Midnight?

(Remember 1913 Christmas Eve,Etc Etc)-I Wonder Why...

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/2011...

“Hillary, thirty years of lying”

Since: Nov 08

Paris

#52 May 29, 2011
TonyT1961 wrote:
A sample of individuals that have been harrassed under Obama..........all of us.

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

#53 May 29, 2011
I wish they would change the doublespeak name to a more honest
"Give Up Liberty for Possible Security Act."

“It's a Brand New Day”

New Rochelle

#54 May 29, 2011
dont snow me wrote:
<quoted text>
My point was no American was prosecuted for a murder, bank job, robbery, etc. i read some of your links, however when some moron in the highest levels of the federal government warns returning soldiers[white ones] bear scrutiny, I don't have much sympathy for the people in your links.
Those are state, not federal offences.

“no one told me”

Denver

#55 May 29, 2011
Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
Those are state, not federal offences.
'They can be federal OFFENSES if the perps cross state lines.

“It's a Brand New Day”

New Rochelle

#56 May 30, 2011
dont snow me wrote:
<quoted text>
'They can be federal OFFENSES if the perps cross state lines.
And you can be queen if you wear a tiara.

“JESUS WOULD IMPEACH THE GOP!!!”

Since: May 09

Lake Success, N.Y.

#58 May 31, 2011
dont snow me wrote:
<quoted text>
And I was not intimating that Americans were prosecuted for the things you stated Snow, not in the least! But when we give away our basic civil rights under the consistent guise of fear, then we have lost to them! We have to get our rights back, not crumble under their threats. i know it's a scary world out there, but I'd rather live with all my rights and some fear, than succumb to those people, and give up my rights.

Why should the Feds, with total autonomy, be able to see what books I read at a local library, look at where I'm searching for information for, WITH TOTAL IMPUNITY?

It's wrong Snow - you know it as well as I.

“no one told me”

Denver

#59 May 31, 2011
TonyT1961 wrote:
<quoted text>
And I was not intimating that Americans were prosecuted for the things you stated Snow, not in the least! But when we give away our basic civil rights under the consistent guise of fear, then we have lost to them! We have to get our rights back, not crumble under their threats. i know it's a scary world out there, but I'd rather live with all my rights and some fear, than succumb to those people, and give up my rights.
Why should the Feds, with total autonomy, be able to see what books I read at a local library, look at where I'm searching for information for, WITH TOTAL IMPUNITY?
It's wrong Snow - you know it as well as I.

The Patriot Act is being extended for a specific period of time, it's not permanent, hopefully some day it won't be necessary anymore, but sadly that must be centuries away. You live in NY, don't you? You should be worried.

The elevation of Obama was supposed to make the terrorists all warm and fuzzy towards us and of course that hasn't happened.

“no one told me”

Denver

#60 May 31, 2011
Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
And you can be queen if you wear a tiara.
I'll take door number 2, Bill.
The Most Independent

Oklahoma City, OK

#61 Sep 29, 2011
What a bunch of suck-azz cowards! I remember well how democrats complained about this in 2006. I am an Independent but have always known this kind of Toilet Paper is totally Unconstitutional and mostly used and abused by the DEA who are supported by our tax dollar. The Come-on was it is for Foreign Terrorist BS. We had better wake up and take back our constitutional rights regardless of which of these corrupt parties are in power.

“Resist”

Since: Apr 09

Bryson City

#62 Oct 8, 2011
dont snow me wrote:
<quoted text>
The Patriot Act is being extended for a specific period of time, it's not permanent, hopefully some day it won't be necessary anymore, but sadly that must be centuries away. You live in NY, don't you? You should be worried.
The elevation of Obama was supposed to make the terrorists all warm and fuzzy towards us and of course that hasn't happened.
Government never willingly gives up any power. Never has and never will. Despite all the talk about freedom from the parties, they hold unrecorded voice votes, don't bother to read the claptrap they vote on, and have orwellian titles directly opposite the the true intent of the bill.

Some speak of term limits, and I believe they should be limited to two terms. One in senate or the house, and one in prison for what they just did while serving(themselves) to be served concurrently.
All lobbyist funds to be paid on the national they just incurred while "serving" and no more government service ever, even as lobbyist. All appointees to be removed at election. Alphabet agencies may not write compliance rules, and all laws shall be read aloud on the floor prior to vote.

They should also be able to pass a test on the Constitution prior to the election as qualification. Now it's simply a populist vote; whoever can promise the most or lie the best without consequence.
Oh. And their hair must be perfect. I've had a gut full of all of them.

No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the legislature is in session - Mark Twain

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Patriot Act Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News This is why the first 100 days is a 'ridiculous... 9 hr Xstain Mullah Aroma 13
News Christie Says He's Ready to Move Past Bridge Sc... (May '15) Mar 29 Fire 4
News House passes NSA reform bill (May '15) Mar 29 Dead Mothers Club 12
News Business Owners Who Employ Illegal Aliens Shoul... Mar '17 13th Amendment 20
News Where 7 Political Careers Stood On Sept. 11, 2001 (Sep '16) Sep '16 Stephany McDowell 1
News Senate clears White House-backed trade bill (May '15) Aug '16 Ole Miss Heroin 7
News Report: Trump says he'll fund wall by cutting r... (Apr '16) Apr '16 tomin cali 8
More from around the web