Parents defend putting children to work on farms

Jul 10, 2012 Full story: Tri-cityherald.com 21

But Mosbacher said the U.S. Labor Department was misguided in its attempts to protect children from farm accidents and he's relieved the agency dropped its plans this spring and has promised not to take up the matter again.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Dec 07

Clermont, Florida

#1 Jul 10, 2012
Families who live on farms have always had help from their children! I was helping by the time I was 4 years old, snapping beans and shelling peas. As I grew older, I was helping all over the farm, including driving a Massey-Ferguson. When the hay was ready to bale and store, the high school boys were the first to want to work for some extra money.

Yes, there have been horrible farm accidents, but I doubt there have been as many incidents and deaths on farm equipment as in car crashes with kids having nothing else to do except cruise the streets.

It's time the government dropped a lot of their infiltration into citizens' daily lives.
2nd Day

Fishers, IN

#2 Jul 10, 2012
Great Depressssition II!.........more).......2029.. ......>

“Historic American President”

Since: Jun 07

Immigration Reformed!

#3 Jul 10, 2012
Kids today need to be taught the value of hard work. When I was a kid, I couldn’t wait for the summer so the I could go to my grandfather’s farm. I would get up at 5am and go with him to feed the pigs, chickens and cows; it was great and it taught me about hard work.
Robert

Hollywood, FL

#4 Jul 10, 2012
Maybe we should not have farms then they would not get killed. You think their parents don't think about the dangers?

It is not like it is the the pony express whose ad read:

"Wanted. Young, skinny, wiry fellows. Not over 18. Must be expert riders. Willing to risk death daily. Orphans preferred."

“i hope we can change this!”

Since: Aug 08

usa

#5 Jul 10, 2012
Marine Corp Pat wrote:
Kids today need to be taught the value of hard work. When I was a kid, I couldn’t wait for the summer so the I could go to my grandfather’s farm. I would get up at 5am and go with him to feed the pigs, chickens and cows; it was great and it taught me about hard work.
maybe the obama administration will include pamphlets on the subject when they send out the welfare checks.
morons disoriented

Saint Paul, MN

#6 Jul 10, 2012
That's some work it's not even a labor it's just fun and play exercise of body mind spirit soul and character. you're all a facking idiots.

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#7 Jul 10, 2012
Dismayed wrote:
It's time the government dropped a lot of their infiltration into citizens' daily lives.
Like abortion, perhaps?

Location hidden

#8 Jul 10, 2012
Robert wrote:
Maybe we should not have farms then they would not get killed. You think their parents don't think about the dangers?
It is not like it is the the pony express whose ad read:
"Wanted. Young, skinny, wiry fellows. Not over 18. Must be expert riders. Willing to risk death daily. Orphans preferred."
They want all those family farms to hire and give jobs to all those illegal aliens that were allowed to cross the border during the housing boom and now can't find work.

Since: Dec 07

Clermont, Florida

#11 Jul 10, 2012
morons disoriented wrote:
That's some work it's not even a labor it's just fun and play exercise of body mind spirit soul and character. you're all a facking idiots.
And you're dumber than the fence posts on a 100 acre farm. If you don't think it's work, you need to actually try working on a farm. You're right on one thing: working on a farm is exercise of the body, mind, spirit and soul...all that builds a very good character.
harvey

Columbus, OH

#12 Jul 10, 2012
ScareyZero wrote:
<quoted text>
maybe the obama administration will include pamphlets on the subject when they send out the welfare checks.
The Obama Obsessive pollutes another thread with his offtopic gibberish...
harvey

Columbus, OH

#13 Jul 10, 2012
Constitution-labia wrote:
Farm kids today are all thats left of good christian young people who work hard and have good morals and stand up for what is right and wrong.. That is why the government must stop that.
"Good Christian" is almost an oxymoron these days, your idea of "morals" is to "vote Republican." Too bad they're the LEAST moral and ethical party on the political scene!

You must stop lying, or your God will punish your ass.:)
Gosch Foundation

Ishpeming, MI

#15 Jul 10, 2012
harvey wrote:
<quoted text>
The Obama Obsessive pollutes another thread with his offtopic gibberish...
they are having hard time facing what they as rightwingers have been throughout history. Sandusky Part of Illuminati Pedophile Network - henrymakow.com
Nov 13, 2011 ... That's what members of NAMBLA (North American Man Boy Love Association)
would call a "chicken ranch". The victim in the 2002 anal rape in ...

http://www.henrymakow.com/penn_state_scandal_... - 27k
Disgusting

San Diego, CA

#16 Jul 10, 2012
Parents turning children into slaves.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#18 Jul 10, 2012
Constitution-lover wrote:
<quoted text>
Teaching a kid to work hard and take personal responsibility is not slavery. In fact it makes them so they wont be a slave. I think ALL kids should spend atleast one year working on old fashioned farm. If they did we would have 75% less liberal commie scum.
I'll second that.
harvey

Columbus, OH

#19 Jul 10, 2012
Constitutional-boylover wrote:
<quoted text>
Republicans ahve lost there way somewhat yes. But still WAY WAY WAY WAY more moral then the liberal commie democrap party. Atleats the GOP still talks of standing fro God and family and the constitution. The demoncraps only talk of destroying all this nation was built on.
As usual, you're a vicious liar and scumbag.

“Progressive liberal politic”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#21 Jul 10, 2012
No freedom = Poverty and tragedy.

USA need more freedom.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#22 Jul 10, 2012
<quoted text>
100% true and I work for a living and pay more in taxes each month then you welfare scum pay EVER.... I WOULD SAY YOUR THE LIAR AND SCUM BAG......
You have to forgive my friend Harvey,he thinks that everyone owes him and his breed a free ride for life.All that his party and peers have left is the personal attacks,lie,spin,play the race and class warfare cards.They sure as hell can't run on Obama's record of failures and anti-American polices.That being said,please give Harvey a break becaues he is an racist troll that lives off the backs of the working people and doesn't know any better. Thank You,PP911-------LOL!!!!!!!
harvey

Columbus, OH

#23 Jul 10, 2012
Constitution-screwer wrote:
<quoted text>
100% true and I work for a living and pay more in taxes each month then you welfare scum pay EVER.... I WOULD SAY YOUR THE LIAR AND SCUM BAG......
No one cares what you say, you aging gas bag. Claiming that Dems or libs want to "destroy America" is, as I said, a vicious lie.

Now get bent, loser.
harvey

Columbus, OH

#24 Jul 10, 2012
pigballs911 wrote:
<quoted text>You have to forgive my friend Harvey,he thinks that everyone owes him and his breed a free ride for life.All that his party and peers have left is the personal attacks,lie,spin,play the race and class warfare cards.They sure as hell can't run on Obama's record of failures and anti-American polices.That being said,please give Harvey a break becaues he is an racist troll that lives off the backs of the working people and doesn't know any better. Thank You,PP911-------LOL!!!!!!!
I'm not your "friend," douchebag, but I think C-Lover would probably give you a ride if you asked him nice and gave him a big, girly smile.

;)

Location hidden

#25 Jul 11, 2012
<quoted text>
Republicans ahve lost there way somewhat yes. But still WAY WAY WAY WAY more moral then the liberal commie democrap party. Atleats the GOP still talks of standing fro God and family and the constitution. The demoncraps only talk of destroying all this nation was built on.
What does family and God have to do with government?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

OSHA Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Red tags coming off Ukiah's Palace Hotel 8 hr Here Is One 3
OSHA fines Stamford for asbestos at police HQ Nov 17 JessicaNYC 2
OSHA Training Restricted by OSHA (Mar '12) Nov 11 beachcontractor 3
Cost of compliance with OSHA residential standa... Nov 11 beachcontractor 1
Not an "accident": Milton Hernandez, 22 suffers... Nov 3 derriel morgan 1
Federal Agency Warns That Border Patrol Is At R... Oct '14 Guess Who 2
OSHA fines McAfee Electric Sep '14 hanad 1

OSHA People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE