Lapham-Hickey Steel faces more than $...

Lapham-Hickey Steel faces more than $200K in fines after Oshkosh workers death

There are 31 comments on the Fond du Lac Reporter story from May 23, 2007, titled Lapham-Hickey Steel faces more than $200K in fines after Oshkosh workers death. In it, Fond du Lac Reporter reports that:

“Employers must remain dedicated to keeping the workplace safe and healthful, or face close scrutiny by this agency.”

Lapham-Hickey Steel faces more than $200,000 in fines from federal authorities following an investigation after the death of a worker last fall. via Fond du Lac Reporter

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fond du Lac Reporter.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#21 Jun 19, 2013
This is a huge amount, I hope they learn their lesson after this penalty.
anonymous

Oshkosh, WI

#22 Oct 2, 2013
I worked in Marketing for a couple of years until my boss hit on me one night after we both had quite a few drinks at a company function. He had the nerve to invite me for a private weekend away at his fishing cottage somewhere 3 hours north of here. He's twice my age and is married and has grandchildren not to mention the largest head I've ever seen on a man. It was only a few weeks after I turned him down that I was told my services were no longer needed there even though all my reviews were positive and no issues while I worked there. Other than that it was a good place to work. There was always something to laugh at. My favorite was when the VP let his 16 year old daughter drive his $60,000 company SUV and she smashed it up. More company money wasted. That one spread through the office like a wild fire. Good times.
Whatever

Fond Du Lac, WI

#23 Oct 2, 2013
anonymous wrote:
I worked in Marketing for a couple of years until my boss hit on me one night after we both had quite a few drinks at a company function. He had the nerve to invite me for a private weekend away at his fishing cottage somewhere 3 hours north of here. He's twice my age and is married and has grandchildren not to mention the largest head I've ever seen on a man. It was only a few weeks after I turned him down that I was told my services were no longer needed there even though all my reviews were positive and no issues while I worked there. Other than that it was a good place to work. There was always something to laugh at. My favorite was when the VP let his 16 year old daughter drive his $60,000 company SUV and she smashed it up. More company money wasted. That one spread through the office like a wild fire. Good times.
Sara - everyone there knows why you were fired. It had WAY more to do with the dozen iPads you had in the back seat of your car than you shooting anyone down. Try again.
moved on

Eau Claire, WI

#24 Oct 4, 2013
I worked in the Minnesota division for a while. The plant manager hired a buddy for maintenance cheap until he put his hand into a live electrical box and was electrocuted. no training, safety equipment or experience at all. He survived but has health issues for life now. The whole thing was covered up and never reported and the manager never disciplined
anonymous

Oshkosh, WI

#25 Oct 5, 2013
anonymous wrote:
This previous posting was a result of a complete misunderstanding and is 100% UNTRUE. This was someone's sick idea of a joke that backfired and wish it could be removed from the site. Please apologize to anyone you have wronged because of it.
just me

Madison, WI

#27 Jan 2, 2014
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
Sara - everyone there knows why you were fired. It had WAY more to do with the dozen iPads you had in the back seat of your car than you shooting anyone down. Try again.
Whoever replied to this: is amazing!

Ex marketing person: all I was reading was a made up story. Learn to set your alarm clock and work when your clocked in instead of getting around.
Former LHS Union Employee

Appleton, WI

#28 Mar 4, 2014
I was with the company for 5 years when the workers organized a union. Injuries were common during my time working there. I still have nightmares about many of the things that I saw. Something should be done about the Oshkosh facility. Another union could be the answer. It didn't work for those involved though. The guy who called the union rep. was subsequently elected to be one of our negotiators. He then crossed the picket line when we walked out. Beware, unions only work with good solidarity.
Delow

Chicago, IL

#29 Apr 24, 2014
Lapham hickey is race's. .and discrimination against. .black...Over whites ..4 yours....it's not right ....
former welder

Chicago, IL

#30 Jun 11, 2014
Hey anybody remember when the weld shop supervisor got fired for screwing the help? this actually happened. Remember double b, you can't stick your d#$* in the employees.
MORE WILL TO BE

Melrose Park, IL

#32 Jun 22, 2015
MIKE FLORES ...HAVE A CHANGE TO TILL ALL IN COURT,,,,,,,,AGINEST...LARRY CHEZEWSKI..........AND........ . LAPHAM HICKEY........UNFAIR PAY PRACTICES......UNFAIR HIRING PRACTICES....RETALIANTION..... NATION ORIGIN.....AND ....SAFETY VIOLALATIONS.......WITH,,,,,,, VEDIOS..........WISH U COULD BE THERE......TO SEE THERE FACE....
Eyewitness

United States

#33 Jul 19, 2015
I was there and saw the whole thing. There was a bundle of Steel behind the bundle that fell that was not all the way back in the rack. The bundle that fell was over half off on the rack so when the stacker came around and bumped the rack it fell and killed the young husband and father. If the supervisor of that Bay had been doing his job this would never have happened. It's absolutely deplorable.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

OSHA Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bucket truck tie off Feb 21 Guillermo 1
osha 300a Jan 25 jrector 2
OSHA Lost Time Injury?? Dec '17 Safetyismylife 2
Recordability for Terminated Employee Dec '17 Safetyismylife 1
Silica Standards Osha Looking for resources Nov '17 GMEN3X 1
OSHA question (regard to 'forced' standing). (Dec '06) Nov '17 Donny 4
Tiebacks for swing stage Nov '17 DLockhart 1
More from around the web