Lapham-Hickey Steel faces more than $200K in fines after Oshkosh workers death

May 23, 2007 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Fond du Lac Reporter

“Employers must remain dedicated to keeping the workplace safe and healthful, or face close scrutiny by this agency.”

Lapham-Hickey Steel faces more than $200,000 in fines from federal authorities following an investigation after the death of a worker last fall. via Fond du Lac Reporter

Comments
1 - 20 of 29 Comments Last updated Jun 11, 2014
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
former employee

Appleton, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2008

Judged:

The senior vice-president who is in charge of the Oshkosh facility is a crook. All of his largest customers can explain this in detail. He lies to the purchasing agents so is usually banned from any major companies. Hopefully history will eventually reveal this.
former employee 2

Oshkosh, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2008

Judged:

This place is a joke when it comes to saftey, they are greedy and willing to risk personal injury or death to someone to make a dollar, it's no wonder why they have 0 employees on the shop floor who have stayed there more than 5 years
Jim T

Rochester, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2008

Judged:

I think those complaining need to get another job! They want a raise and can't get one so the company is bad!
ex employee

Streamwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2012

Judged:

After working there for almost 5 years I found that lap ham hickey steel covers up as much as possible to avoid osha violations. Lap ham hickey Oshkosh have supervisors in place to make sure no one talks or complains to hr. Nothing is confidential between employees and supervision. If an employee has an issue and tells supervision the supervisors make sure that everyone in the shop knows about it. They target certain employees and get them to the point where they just want to quit. Its no wonder why they haven't ever laid anyone off in Oshkosh, look it up. They deserve to have a close eye on them, so osha do your job before there's more deaths and fingers get cut off.
former employee

Midlothian, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2012

Jim t is part of the cover up! He must be a supervisor.
supervisor

Eagle, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2012

Judged:

Been there many years and never seen it this bad. One good guy spoke up against some familes getting special treatment and got canned fror it. It aint right maybe the union guys had it right all along.
inpector

Maribel, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2012

Judged:

Oshkosh managers kids can come to work high or super drunk and endanger lives of all of us. If Bill Hickey knew the truth, Oshkosh would be closed for sure. VP lies to Hickey to keep his pockets lined by Oshkosh Truck buyers. Anything for a buck in his pocket, not the company's.
weld qc

Sullivan, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

The oshkosh GM hid a safety issue that coud kill american soldiers. Sales specked out wrong strength weld wire and hundreds of hard lifts were shipped that will not be strong as they need to be. Wont be his drunk kid that gets killed. VP knows about it too but refused to alert the customer to get the parts fixed. VP daughter runs qc so she does what daddy says. Woudnt happen in a union shop. Thats why i left. Cant deal with crimes like this. should probably send the facts to the customer myself. Ford would probably just cover it up with his lies again. Do you think Hickey knows?
no name

Neenah, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

I guess its not just the employee safety they dont care about. The air in welding is so thick youhave to saw threw it some days. The GM hides in his office on thebad days so he can read the newspaper and deny it is bad for us in the shop. OSHA- WHERE ARE YOU? The oxy bay is the sme way if the doors are closed on a cold day.Why is this allowed with the lapham afety history? No wonder guys are talking union. Sign me up if it helps us breath.
fed up

Neenah, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

Changes need to be made for sure. They changed our work schedule from 3or4 days to 5 days a week.that was the reason i came here in the first place. Took away all my overtime and increase daycare for my family. Now they force us to work saturdays too because we have 3 pages of late orders and they blame it on us. Managers just don't care about us or our families anymore. They had the nerve to bring drug dogs in here accusing us, but not until the one known drug user in the office was gone. Give me a break.
what a joke

Neenah, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Judged:

They told us the schedule change was supposedly a cost savings. Now we have 2 plant managers instead of 1. Is that a cost savings? They have a million dollar jet so we can get more customers but our biggest customer is a mile away. Another cost saving?
Did the office people lose any of their hours or family time? Nope. If we had better people in the office instead of just family maybe we would have more work for us.
It also cost me $30 to golf at the company golf outing and it was on my own time but sales gets paid to golf every summer with a big party to boot. Do our bonus pay for this stuff? Not fair.
BMC

Neenah, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2013

If you are expecting to see changes at Lapham Hickey Steel, I fear you may be wasting your time.
I have been a customer for years and they cannot be counted on for consistent quality of service or products. For that reason, I buy most of my metal goods elsewhere to better service my customer base.
The priority seems to be on masking serious systemic issues with donuts, golf outings and lavish Christmas parties. I have told the Vice President that efforts need to be made to develop a true manufacturing system and Quality tools. All requests have been ignored.
He needs to realize there is more to Sales than schmoozing buyers with parties and golf. He has no mind for business and cannot be expected to drive an enterprise of this magnitude with his shallow thinking. It is an insult to his customers. Until your corporate leadership see him for what he truly is, change will not be forthcoming.
BINGO

Neenah, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Judged:

I RAN A SAW THERE A COUPLE YEARS AGO AND I'VE NEVER SEEN A PLACE WITH SUCH A PROBLEM WITH DISCRIMINATION! THE ARROGANT SAW SUPERVISOR ACTUALLY TOLD ME I WAS TOO OLD TO BE ANY GOOD.ALL HE DID WAS SPEND THE DAY ON HIS CELL PHONE TALKING TO HIS WIFE. NOT ONE MINORITY SUPERVISOR IN THE PLACE. JUST A BUNCH OF CHILDLIKE WHITE BOYS SWEARING AT US AND MAKING RACIAL JOKES RIGHT IN FRONT OF US. I HEARD A MEXICAN SHOP GUY WAS FIRED FOR SMOKING ON THE JOB. BUT ONE FAT WHITE CHICK WHO DRESSED FUNNY WALKED THROUGH OUR DEPARTMENT SEVERAL TIMES A DAY SMELLING LIKE SMOKE DOUSED IN HEAVY OBNOXIOUS PERFUME. THEY TOLD ME HERE DAD WORKED IN THE FRONT OFFICE TOO. ONLY 3 WAYS TO FIX THESE PROBLEMS. QUIT AND FIND A NEW JOB CUZ THEY AINT GONNA CHANGE. CALL A LAWYER WITH PROOF OF THIS STUFF. OR CALL IN A UNION. THE USW OR UAW WOULD PUT A STOP TO THIS IN A HURRY, THIS IS WRONG AND ILLEGAL TOO. GOOD LUCK.
No kidding

Neenah, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

We have to watch her take these smoke breaks every day while management looks the other way because she works for daddy. Different rules for that family I guess. People complain but nothing gets done about it. One of our guys tried to leave but regrets that now. After he gave notice honestly, the VP went to his new employer and his offer was instantly rescinded. They even interfere with our personal lives here.
Crazy girl

Neenah, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

Judged:

There is a definite lack of professionalism around here. If you are a woman you are not listened to at all. Its a network of good ole boys. We have only one woman supervisor here and she is treated completely opposite from the men. If a salaried man works over 40 hours he will be paid overtime. A woman working the same schedule will be paid only for 40 hours. This is logical to our GM apparently.
not right

Neenah, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Judged:

His logic baffles many of us in Oshkosh. When Leach was in town we shipped them three truck loads of plate every day and it was nice work with very little labor. Now we are so heavy into manufactured items and none of us make any money except him. We work twice as hard for half the money. Ten years ago our bonus checks were triple what they are now. He has the nerve to tell us times are tight while he drives up in his shiny new Jaguar. We are right back to where we were before the strike. We stood by him then and got nothing in return for our families.
Big Bruce

Neenah, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 8, 2013

Judged:

We've been hearing these things for years from Lapham Hickey employees. I have worked for Oshkosh Truck for 23 years and we owe the union for everything we have as employees. They will help you stop the unfair treatment very quickly. If things get worse and you decide to go union we will back you up just like we did years ago. If you need help contacting a union rep just have one of your truck drivers ask for help at any of our plants. We see them every day and we can give them direction. Our union brothers are on your side.
anonymous

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

Judged:

I was not working there at the time, but I heard the operator was under the influence. The stacker is Not something anyone should be operating under the influence. The steel is always heavier than it looks. One slip and you can easily be hurt or killed. just wanted to add that.
anonymous

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

Judged:

no name wrote:
I guess its not just the employee safety they dont care about. The air in welding is so thick youhave to saw threw it some days. The GM hides in his office on thebad days so he can read the newspaper and deny it is bad for us in the shop. OSHA- WHERE ARE YOU? The oxy bay is the sme way if the doors are closed on a cold day.Why is this allowed with the lapham afety history? No wonder guys are talking union. Sign me up if it helps us breath.
I agree the air quality is horrible especially in winter. some intake and exhaust fans in the oxy bay, but weld gets none. not fair!
super welder

Neenah, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

Judged:

Crazy girl wrote:
There is a definite lack of professionalism around here. If you are a woman you are not listened to at all. Its a network of good ole boys. We have only one woman supervisor here and she is treated completely opposite from the men. If a salaried man works over 40 hours he will be paid overtime. A woman working the same schedule will be paid only for 40 hours. This is logical to our GM apparently.
more of his logic. We just hired his son's fiance in welding. She makes $2 more per hour than our topped out welders who work here for 10 years. Yeah, that's fair. Won't be long before his kid is back, you watch. At least we know there will be plenty of alcohol at the wedding for us. We can hold the vote at the reception as a toast.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••