OSHA cites Utica company where worker died in silo accident

Nov 15, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: WSTM-TV Syracuse

Read more: Local , Utica , Silo , Silo Accident , Deadly Silo Accident , Worker Killed , Worker Killed in Silo Accident , Occupational Safety and Health Administration , OSHA , Harbor Point Mineral Producers , Wurz Avenue , Craig Bernier , Safety Violations , Utica Company Cited for Safety Violations The Occupational Safety and Health ... (more)

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 24 of24
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
food for thought

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2011

Judged:

OSHA is important and is suppose to enforse safety. The problem is not that they did a routine check and deliberate violation were made. A guide (huge beyond words is issued to companies) for smaller ones without enough staff other companies are hired to observe and approve safety practices. They believed they were doing their best. To blame the deceased is in ill respect but to blame an accident solely on the company without all facts is disrespectful too. Media twists things to make the story grander. If you are familiar with OSHA they do not do regular visits to ensure safety practices are followed or even known by companies. They simply come after the fact to punish and not before to prevent. Just something to think about.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2011

Judged:

Suprised wrote:
<quoted text>
Ky Weller you have inside information? Who is Leroy, the owner, and what would he have to do with it?
Last I knew,he was the mill supervisor...
Orange Thrower

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2011

This is such a tragedy. I feel terrible about what happened and for the young man's family and friends. And it sounds like this was no accident at all, that this could have been prevented. I hope the family is planning to sue the company. Doesn't sound like the workers there are in a union. I worked in a lumber mill where something terrible like this happened - a worker boiled alive. OSHA seems to only send in the cavalry after a death but that's because they are completely underfunded.

Are the other workers pissed or still working under the same conditions?
heysista

Ilion, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2011

I feel so sorry for the family, for a such accident that could have been avoided.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 24 of24
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••