OSHA cites Utica company where worker died in silo accident

Nov 15, 2011 Full story: WSTM-TV Syracuse 24

Read more: Local , Utica , Silo , Silo Accident , Deadly Silo Accident , Worker Killed , Worker Killed in Silo Accident , Occupational Safety and Health Administration , OSHA , Harbor Point Mineral Producers , Wurz Avenue , Craig Bernier , Safety Violations , Utica Company Cited for Safety Violations The Occupational Safety and Health ... (more)

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
cicero

Cortland, NY

#1 Nov 15, 2011
thats $150.000 that his family wont be seeing ? hope the place closes down for the master plan
cicero

Cortland, NY

#2 Nov 15, 2011
we dont want to see osha in the news we know they do their jobs we want to see hotel utica pay off the loan or loretta nurseing home pay their loan? and officers found accountable for their actions when driveing drunk ?
Tim

Newark, NY

#3 Nov 15, 2011
Too bad it wasn't you that died cicero. After all one less crazy retard like you on Earth is not a bad thing. Maybe you should kill yourself, go for it.
Come on

Canastota, NY

#4 Nov 15, 2011
I disagree with the huge fine if anyone has ever had a run in with OSHA you would known they will find something wrong and yes more then one several. The rules and regs are 3" thick and impossible to know everything in it. That being said the worker's also have to use common causation when preforming a task. It was a tragedy and I'm sure the family will move forward with a claim. I know it's not politicly correct to post what I have posted but a fine of that magnitude should not go to the government but should go to things that would make the work place safer. If I was employed at this place I would rather see the fine go towards upgrades on other possible items that may help prevent other accidents in the future.this is just my opinion.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#5 Nov 15, 2011
Have any of you been in those silos? Didn't think so... You have no clue what you are talking about!

Location hidden

#6 Nov 15, 2011
They're lucky there has only been one death in that place... The fine should have been a million!!!
lol

Newark, NY

#7 Nov 15, 2011
Wow, you are a real douche-bag.lol

Location hidden

#8 Nov 15, 2011
lol wrote:
Wow, you are a real douche-bag.lol
If you only knew...
lol

Newark, NY

#9 Nov 15, 2011
No, judging from your posts I have pretty good idea....veryone does.

“Getting To The Meat Of It”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#10 Nov 15, 2011
This is a tragic situation, in a very hazardous field. But safety has to be number one. OSHA brings problems to life, and this place made alot of mistakes. Payment is just a fraction of their problems.

This is an above ground mining disaster. They need close supervision.
Greedy Employers

South Butler, NY

#11 Nov 16, 2011
OHSA's job is to insure a safe work environment for the employee. Far too often the Employer is simply concerned with lining their pockets with the almighty dollar. They cut corners and fail to provide proper safety training and equipment for the employees. IF this company goes under, so be it. Anyone who thinks OHSA is a waste is a greedy self-centered pig.
Michelle

Syracuse, NY

#12 Nov 16, 2011
For one this company never cuts corners to make a dollar. I for one know how this company works. There is so much more to this that everyone one else doesn't know. If anyone knows how osha works they'll understand that osha will try to find anything possible to make anyone look bad. I was there I know how things went down that terrible day. It was a tragedy for everyone who knew Craig including Craig who made a mistake and well you know the rest. This company fixed a lot of those violations that were made. My hearts go out to all of those involved. As for you Ky Weller you are probably some low life who can't keep a job and think their shit don't stink. You have my sympathy because all you are is ignorant.

Location hidden

#15 Nov 16, 2011
Michelle wrote:
For one this company never cuts corners to make a dollar. I for one know how this company works. There is so much more to this that everyone one else doesn't know. If anyone knows how osha works they'll understand that osha will try to find anything possible to make anyone look bad. I was there I know how things went down that terrible day. It was a tragedy for everyone who knew Craig including Craig who made a mistake and well you know the rest. This company fixed a lot of those violations that were made. My hearts go out to all of those involved. As for you Ky Weller you are probably some low life who can't keep a job and think their shit don't stink. You have my sympathy because all you are is ignorant.
Educate me on bin entries,equipment,safety gear... Lets hear it,big mouth!! BTW,did Leroy lose his job over that mess? Who was in there with him?
Come on

Canastota, NY

#16 Nov 16, 2011
Michelle wrote:
Osha wants money to fund there paycheck,where's the money go that they get from fines.??
Redtail

Canastota, NY

#17 Nov 16, 2011
KY WELLER wrote:
<quoted text>Educate me on bin entries,equipment,safety gear... Lets hear it,big mouth!! BTW,did Leroy lose his job over that mess? Who was in there with him?
KY WELLER go fk your mother u big mouth pc of dog sht.. U come on this site thinking your a big shot you bum get a job lowlife..Ya it's Redtail again putting you stupid azz in place again!!!!

Location hidden

#18 Nov 16, 2011
Redtail wrote:
<quoted text>KY WELLER go fk your mother u big mouth pc of dog sht.. U come on this site thinking your a big shot you bum get a job lowlife..Ya it's Redtail again putting you stupid azz in place again!!!!
So ur gonna try to dazzle us with bullshit again? Go for it...

“Getting To The Meat Of It”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#19 Nov 16, 2011
Michelle wrote:
Fixing the wrong after someone dies is a bit late. Just ask our Police Dept. The fact that OSHA found issues, means there were issues. And your going to blame the guy for making a mistake? There were people there to supervise, they are the mistake. This guy wasn't even a regular employee of the company. Supervision should have been even greater than regular, with an inexperienced man.
Suprised

Hamilton, NY

#20 Nov 17, 2011
KY WELLER wrote:
<quoted text>Educate me on bin entries,equipment,safety gear... Lets hear it,big mouth!! BTW,did Leroy lose his job over that mess? Who was in there with him?
Ky Weller you have inside information? Who is Leroy, the owner, and what would he have to do with it?
For your information

Utica, NY

#21 Nov 17, 2011
Come on wrote:
<quoted text>Osha wants money to fund there paycheck,where's the money go that they get from fines.??
All money collected from fines levied by federal agencies go into the general budget.

The individual agencies do not receive it.
should they ignore it

South Butler, NY

#22 Nov 18, 2011
Suprised wrote:
<quoted text>
Ky Weller you have inside information? Who is Leroy, the owner, and what would he have to do with it?
So, should OSHA say..."Yeah, you kinda screwed up and a kid died, but who cares !!! Next time someone dies we'll tell you again not to screw up ."

EVEN if the employee didn't follow precautions, the EMPLOYER is still responsible for not properly supervising him. So, if the employer doesn't want to properly supervise, they SHOULD be held MONETARILY responsible. It's the ONLY way greedy employers learn, is when their pockets get hurt.

We all should welcome OSHA & PESH inspections. They are looking out for the WORKER, and have no connection to the Employer. Let's stop condemning the Safety Inspectors and put the blame where it belongs...ON THE COMPANY.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

OSHA Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Red tags coming off Ukiah's Palace Hotel Dec 2 The Fear tator 18
Would You Like a Beer With That OSHA Training? (Feb '09) Dec 1 hwm 19
OSHA fines Stamford for asbestos at police HQ Nov 25 Robby Rob 3
OSHA Training Restricted by OSHA (Mar '12) Nov '14 beachcontractor 3
Cost of compliance with OSHA residential standa... Nov '14 beachcontractor 1
Not an "accident": Milton Hernandez, 22 suffers... Nov '14 derriel morgan 1
Federal Agency Warns That Border Patrol Is At R... Oct '14 Guess Who 2
More from around the web