Ilion firearms manufacturer cited for 'serious workplace violations'

Nov 21, 2011 Full story: WSTM-TV Syracuse 20

TheA Occupational Safety and Health Administration A cited Remington Arms Co. Inc. for 35 serious violations of workplace safety and health standards at its Ilion manufacturing plant.

Full Story
trouble maker

Jacksonville, FL

#1 Nov 21, 2011
I'm glad the union is watching out for the safety of the workers
troubled youth

Boonville, NY

#2 Nov 21, 2011
umwa chairman is a joke

Boonville, NY

#3 Nov 21, 2011
Look at the fool who is chairman. Brown and Thayer supported him. Even they have said many times the guy is an idoit. But they use him as a yes vote on the executive board.
sunnyvale

Nassau, NY

#4 Nov 22, 2011
trouble maker wrote:
I'm glad the union is watching out for the safety of the workers
who do you think called OSHA ? Hint not your boss.
troubled youth

Boonville, NY

#5 Nov 22, 2011
These findings by OSHA are pretty disturbing. We're not talking a handful of incidental violations, we're talking 35 violations that OSHA regulators deem serious.

This reflects a wholesale failure on the part of both Arms management and the union to comply with regulations that in any manufacturing plant should be a standard part of daily operations.

Management is especially to blame. They have an OSHA compliance unit but wow, somebody was not doing his job.

Such sloppiness and disregard for the law reflects very poorly on local management and undermines its credibility and standing in the community.

Ilion residents should wonder,

"If the Arms doesn't care about OSHA regulations, does it care about EPA/DEC regulations prohibiting gaseous emissions (in the middle of the night) at levels above legal limits?"
Wondering

New York, NY

#6 Nov 22, 2011
Maybe it's the government wanting to put firearms manufacturers out of business.
umwa safety

Ithaca, NY

#7 Nov 22, 2011
one reason for the lack of safety is the umwa saftey chairman. he doesn't know enough to come out of the rain.
troubled youth

Boonville, NY

#8 Nov 22, 2011
Remington Arms should make John Stephens the plant manager. He'd make sure every employee wears a helmet.
trouble maker

Jacksonville, FL

#9 Nov 23, 2011
sunnyvale wrote:
<quoted text>who do you think called OSHA ? Hint not your boss.
Do you really think the umwa called osha or did osha just show up for a spot check
sunnyvale

Southbridge, MA

#10 Nov 23, 2011
It don't matter who called. The company did the wrong not the union. But hey let's blame the union. You people will never learn
Stop Toxic Emissions Now

Potsdam, NY

#11 Nov 25, 2011
This is so true! It stinks at all hours of the day and so many people are sick... gotta wonder if Remington is to blame. There are times when I cannot even breathe outside and sure enough, remington smoke is so thick... by the comment of the "yes man" in the article, I would have to agree that he is an idiot.... If remington doesn't care about their employees, they sure as hell don't care about the kids growing up and getting sick...
I bet they just earn the profit and don't even live here!!!!!
You can call the EPA to report toxic emissions anytime..... Region 2: http://www.epa.gov/aboutepa/region2.html
Please call our Public Information Hotline, toll-free, at 877-251-4575
Valley Neighbor

New York, NY

#12 Nov 27, 2011
I think you can blame both management & union. They should have a Safety Committee made up of both management & union employees. Have a monthy safety meeting with walk thru of the plant. With the size of the building maybe it should be more than monthly dividing up the floors with the committee.
wake up please

Saranac Lake, NY

#13 Nov 27, 2011
Really? Be mature and help your employer be successful, it will actually help you and your local community in the long run. Can you imagine this town if they left?
umwa in bed with company

Boonville, NY

#14 Nov 28, 2011
umwa is in bed with company.
the truth

New York, NY

#15 Nov 30, 2011
the company is out for the numbers ask anyone who works there i know i worked there
Remington Brand

New York, NY

#16 Nov 30, 2011
the truth wrote:
the company is out for the numbers ask anyone who works there i know i worked there
The decrease in quality of the product and an increase in safety violations are a direct correlation.
Safety violations are only the tip of the iceburg.
umwa safety is a joke

New York, NY

#17 Dec 14, 2011
we used go have a great safety record, but not now.
the umwa chairman is a fool. no back bone and definitely no brains. the recording sec. has told him to shut up many time with meetings with the plant manger. she told him once to set down and stop making a fool of himself. safety is a joke.
all have to go --- such a shame
so sad ------
Wake Up to Health Effects

Apex, NC

#18 Dec 17, 2011
wake up please wrote:
Really? Be mature and help your employer be successful, it will actually help you and your local community in the long run. Can you imagine this town if they left?
Wake up to health effects of toxic chemicals. People can get cancer, autoimmune diseases, birth defects, learning disabilities, etc...by an over exposure to the chemicals which they burn when they are burning more than they are supposed to. If you think for one moment that you would be better with Remington, I would think again.... they obviously don't care about your health why do you care about their success. In addition, they are making guns for the enemy to fight KILL our soldiers with more accuracy.... Really? Support them? Think again!
umwa president

Ilion, NY

#20 Jan 2, 2012
How about the useless union president?
jerry

Argyle, NY

#21 Jan 2, 2012
Just call "Head" of security, Mr. Tommy Goldin, He is a main man incharge of ?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

OSHA Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Federal Agency Warns That Border Patrol Is At R... Oct 16 Guess Who 2
OSHA fines McAfee Electric Sep 24 hanad 1
Cleanup is underway at house of horrors in Blac... Sep 22 Anonymous 7
Bimbo Bakeries fined by state for dangerous wor... (Apr '10) Sep '14 bottles 37
OSHA's Final Rule on Reporting Requirements: A ... Sep '14 TimGolden 1
Public advocate eyes crackdown on toxic chemica... Sep '14 TimGolden 2
OSHA Announces Auto Industry Inspection Sweep Sep '14 Ron 1

OSHA People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE