Steel Beam Kills Construction Worker | Ohio News Network (ONN)

Full story: 10TV WBNS

A construction worker was killed Monday afternoon after a steel beam fell on him.
Comments
1 - 10 of 10 Comments Last updated Apr 5, 2011
josh

United States

#1 Mar 28, 2011
how do they not know who they're working for?
Russell

Broadview Heights, OH

#3 Mar 29, 2011
apparently they STILL don't know.

http://www.whiotv.com/news/27346422/detail.ht...
john

Chillicothe, OH

#5 Mar 29, 2011
itspritty obvious he was working for dean stevens out of southbloomingville ohio seeing how he worked on stevens trucks in stevens garage and even rented his home off of stevens.
FENCEJUMPER

Powell, OH

#6 Mar 29, 2011
john wrote:
itspritty obvious he was working for dean stevens out of southbloomingville ohio seeing how he worked on stevens trucks in stevens garage and even rented his home off of stevens.
A word to the wise: Your statement could be considered slanderous and you could be charged and /or sued in civil court for your statements of this person, if they are found not to be entirely accurate.
correctword

Muncie, IN

#7 Mar 29, 2011
FENCEJUMPER wrote:
<quoted text>
A word to the wise: Your statement could be considered slanderous and you could be charged and /or sued in civil court for your statements of this person, if they are found not to be entirely accurate.
Hey there wanna-be-lawyer hot shot. It would be impossible for him to get sued for slander, because he did not verbalize anything. He could be sued for LIBEL, but most likely not because who really believes anything on these comment walls anyway. They are just full of people trying to speak their opinion who really don't know what they are talking about, and don't know correct definitions for words.
NinaSky

Silver Spring, MD

#8 Mar 30, 2011
Really sorry this happened. There are a lot of incidents such as...no, let me change that... it's not an incident it's more of a tragedy that happens like this every day. But nobody hears about them. Most of the time, from what construction workers tell me, you work at your own risk. I do find that hard to believe, but I guess it's true.

Safety precautions are taken on some job sites. On others, "short cuts" are more favorable to get the job done within the time frame desired.

I'm not a construction worker and I don't think I'd be good at it at all. I'm a chicken! So I really have no idea how things run on a job site. But I hope whomever this contractor is he (or she) takes the appropriate responsibility be it through lawyers (who imho are seem interested in the numbers of "incidents" that happen). There is always a liability in these places.

If it's found that the working conditions, equipment, or anything else caused this man's death, certainly it will fall on the owner and or all of their planners, projectionists or whatever.
That's the way I see it.

Hopefully, this man's family will be able to take care of the necessary arrangements, including legal remedy if appropriate without a lot of trouble.

My Sympathies...
Mick

Columbus, OH

#9 Apr 2, 2011
Make sure the names of these exploiters get headline news. This is a very shady operation here. With all the OSHA requirements these jobs are suppose to be safer. They Are not. If a company can't pay the "Fine" they won 't be chased by OSHA.
Rich Dad

Columbus, OH

#10 Apr 5, 2011
They are working for nobody, demolishing a building owned by nobody. Looks like the perfect way to avoid legal liability!
Rich Dad

Columbus, OH

#11 Apr 5, 2011
FENCEJUMPER wrote:
<quoted text>
Said Dean Stevens.

“Time traveler”

Since: Apr 10

At large

#12 Apr 5, 2011
Maybe nobody on the job can speak English and that is the reason nobody knows anything.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

OSHA Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Brainerd demolition contract vote delayed Fri Shaneell 1
OSHA fines Baer Buses for 'health' violation Aug 27 Erie_Tate 2
Non-hazardous material container labeling Aug 13 hro 1
Coroner: Omega Protein victim died from head tr... Jul '14 roy 1
OSHA compliance paint fumes Jul '14 trh 1
OSHA Cites Sabina Farmers Exchange (OH) For Exp... Jul '14 #SurberNation 1
ALBA wins top USA Safety Award Jul '14 mICHEAL 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••