Madison Hopes to Open Entrance to Shenandoah After 74 Years

Full story: NBC29 Charlottesville

Tuesday, Madison County is pushing a plan to unlock its gate into Shenandoah National Park.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 15 of15
TL in Cville

Moneta, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Judged:

Good luck, I think this is a great idea!
Jack Bauer

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

"It doesn't have to be a perfect road. We're in Madison, a little adventure makes it exciting," said Tracey Gardner, Madison Chamber of Commerce tourism coordinator.
Sounds like c-ville & albermale with their planed roads 29 bypass & projects. Especially 10 th & page & Cherry ave. shopping centers.
Can_not_be_done

Madison, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Judged:

You're kidding, right? This is a joke. I had to look at the calendar to make sure it wasn't April 1. There is one road the public is allowed to drive on in the Park, and that is Skyline Drive. Rt. 649, which is the road being talked about, is not in any shape for increased traffic. It runs in and out of the Rapidan Wildlife Management Area, and I believe the State Game Commission has a hand in maintaining (or not maintaining) it. During a wet hunting season, it can become a challenge to drive. In many places, it is one lane wide. It would have to be improved, widened, and guard rails installed just to meet a minimum of safety standards. A little adventure driving on this road, as it is now, is fine for rural drivers who know how to drive on narrow, pock-marked, dirt/gravel roads. Most urban drivers don't have a clue, and will drive as if it is a city street. "A presidential promise is nothing to take lightly," said Hoch, referring to Hoover. Tell that to Native Americans, who where made promises, time and again.
american citizen

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Can_not_be_done wrote:
You're kidding, right? This is a joke. I had to look at the calendar to make sure it wasn't April 1. There is one road the public is allowed to drive on in the Park, and that is Skyline Drive. Rt. 649, which is the road being talked about, is not in any shape for increased traffic. It runs in and out of the Rapidan Wildlife Management Area, and I believe the State Game Commission has a hand in maintaining (or not maintaining) it. During a wet hunting season, it can become a challenge to drive. In many places, it is one lane wide. It would have to be improved, widened, and guard rails installed just to meet a minimum of safety standards. A little adventure driving on this road, as it is now, is fine for rural drivers who know how to drive on narrow, pock-marked, dirt/gravel roads. Most urban drivers don't have a clue, and will drive as if it is a city street. "A presidential promise is nothing to take lightly," said Hoch, referring to Hoover. Tell that to Native Americans, who where made promises, time and again.
Don't get me started on presidential promises.........
Heard any lately?
american citizen

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Judged:

Herd any promises? as in herd in line for food after a disaster, herd in line for food at the shelters, herd in line at the local food distribution center....more to come
Rex

Saylorsburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Judged:

american citizen wrote:
Herd any promises? as in herd in line for food after a disaster, herd in line for food at the shelters, herd in line at the local food distribution center....more to come
Cattle herd country boy!
Eaglescout1984

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

"The county is the only one bordering the park without an open road for drivers to reach the park's natural scenery and Skyline Drive."

Uhhh, what about Albemalre? It borders the park on its northwest border. And you have to drive through Nelson or Greene to get to the park.
Resident

Ruckersville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Judged:

This comes up periodically, and just disappears, apparently due lack of interest from the Park System. The BOS needs to push, and push again, until they respond. Many acres of Madison county were private property, and there are still bad feelings in much of the county over that. At least let the county have an entrance to what used to be theirs.
County Resident

Raleigh, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Can_not_be_done wrote:
It's not the same road. The road up the Rapidan Wildlife Mgmt. area is not the road to Hoover Camp. No way could you go up the Wildlife Mgmt. road, but the other one has possibilities with fire roads, etc. Check the map.
County Resident

Raleigh, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Eaglescout1984 wrote:
"The county is the only one bordering the park without an open road for drivers to reach the park's natural scenery and Skyline Drive."
Uhhh, what about Albemalre? It borders the park on its northwest border. And you have to drive through Nelson or Greene to get to the park.
No, no....there's an entrance at Afton Mountain. I'm not sure what you mean. You don't have to go into Nelson County. Whatever....there's access there but not from Madison County.
DID YOU HEAR THAT

Amissville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Judged:

Man a lot of beer drinking goes on up there, dont open up to city folks
Can_not_be_done

Madison, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

County Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not the same road. The road up the Rapidan Wildlife Mgmt. area is not the road to Hoover Camp. No way could you go up the Wildlife Mgmt. road, but the other one has possibilities with fire roads, etc. Check the map.
Your right. It is not. The road to Rapidan Camp runs off to the left, about 1/2 mile inside the gate. If you don't turn left, but continue straight, you wind up in Big Meadows. Quaker Run Road turns into the Rapidan Fire Road at the gate that Madison wants opened, and it continues to Big Meadows. That one road runs from Rt. 670 (Old Blue Ridge Turnpike) all the way to Big Meadows. That road was supposed to to be the main entrance to the Park, in the early days of planning.
Mountain mama

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Is thatnthe firemroad that you see when you are standing at the visitors center looking out into the meadow? The gravel road in The middle of the meadow? That will now be traffic?
Can_not_be_done

Madison, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Mountain mama wrote:
Is thatnthe firemroad that you see when you are standing at the visitors center looking out into the meadow? The gravel road in The middle of the meadow? That will now be traffic?
That would be the one.
County Resident

Raleigh, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Can_not_be_done wrote:
<quoted text>
That would be the one.
Are you sure? The road from Big Meadows is not Hoover Camp road I don't think. I think that road is at Milam Gap. Funny how you go up there for 30 years and still can't picture which roads are which without a map. Anyway...good idea to open a road.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 15 of15
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••