Body found in park is man from Harlan

Oct 9, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Harlan Daily Enterprise

BELL COUNTY a ' Officials have identified the remains found in Cumberland Gap National Historical Park on Wednesday.

Comments
1 - 20 of 51 Comments Last updated Feb 22, 2012
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Holly Wilson-Virginia

Virginia Beach, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2010

Judged:

This is so sad. No matter what has happened in the past, James certainly did not deserve this! Another issue that was undeserving was the fact that, Lori Settles, the so called writer of the article had to disrespect the family by bringing up his past...they know what he did. He has not even been buried yet! What did she think she would accomplish by writing that? Since she was so determined to get in a low blow, she could have followed up with that info in a story at later time, maybe AFTER his funeral OR when the bastard that did this is caught!!! I think it is distasteful and disrespectful of her to do that and she should be ashamed of herself!!I sure hope Lori Settles doesn't live in a glass house.

Harlan, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2010

Judged:

I completely agree. Although I dislike his past, I would've never brought that up. What does that matter to us at this point? Maybe matters to authorities, but not us. His past should've never been brought up.
my past

Barnesville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2010

Judged:

well ,I have one question...Who doesnt have a past ..I mean jezz,we all have made stupid mistakes or at least i have.
That doesnt give anyone the right to take your life or make it any less of a crime because of that persons past..

My question to the person that killed James Long..
Did you ever think about his little child 7 yrs old asking God in church ever time it was their to save its daddy..
did you think about his sisters and brothers that loved him nomatter his wrongs..that hurt when he hurt,that cried when he cried..what about his daughters and their children.
what about his great grandbaby that he only got to see for a short time..cause you choose to take away his life..and because of you..his family are hurt and in pain thats unexplained and can never be changed..Because you choose to take Life in to yor hands..and take this man that like all is not perfect...But had family that loved him dearly...you have this to thank about even thoe it may take them awhile to find you...you have to live with this..
Holly Wilson-Virginia

Virginia Beach, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2010

what goes around comes around!
We love u James

Sheridan, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2010

Well I will certainly miss my uncle James..
rip James long

Sheridan, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2010

we are all gonna miss u James ... he surly didn't deserve this..everyone keep his love ones in your prayers..... rip james we wish we would have gotten to see you b4 this happened!!!!!!
friend

Jackson, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2010

Well, James paid for his mistake,he served his time. He was a man that would go out of his way to help people,he never killed anyone, but spent more time, than someone that has, this was oh so wrong, may my friend rest IN PEACE!!I hope the ones who did this, pay dearly, vengence is mine sayeth the LORD !!! To the one who did this , you WILL be judged for this,let there be no mercy!Did you get paid well o do this ??
melissa gregory

Harlan, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2010

i really hated to hear tjis he was a great man would give u his shirt off his back james u will be missed buddie god i loved u u was a great friend and u didnt deserve this no matter what the sitution was REST IN PEACE MY FRIEND I LOVE U AND MISS U ALREADY
SUE

Tazewell, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2010

Judged:

THE WAGE'S OF SIN IS DEATH. GOD BLESS THE FAMILY.
lilmissknowitall

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2010

Judged:

listen, rip james and may your killer be brought to justise you sure was, that witch that wrote that article made sure yours was known, them news paper people make me sick i was in prison for 3 years and wrote james every week, but back to the news paper, debbie caldwell, gave information on me to someones lawyer in lexington ky that i was in prison with now can i sue that bunch or not? i should try but has anyone felled to mention that debbie caldwells, son, harold is hiding from the law now ?no!but thay sure made it known about my friend james,and whoever this cow is that wrote this about james,we all know shes never done nothing she should be out at the catholic church being a sister not putting them or the church down im just saying the witch has probsbly done more than me and james put together we just got caught and she aint,but it took a bunch of damn rats to get us.i still cant believe this has happen to james i really really like his sister betty i like his whole family.god bless you all my heart goes out to you so much i hurt for you guys so bad and thay will find the killer, sometimes i thank god for rats because that will be how thay find out who done our friend like this,thats where rats come in handy not when someone sells a damn pill.james is in heaven not haveing to worry about nothing.god love his lil boy.god just needed another angel and he picked a good one love ya james rip my friend!!!!!!!
God Be With The Longs

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2010

I never knew James but my Brothers did..my mother was a long and I know we were related ...My condolences to the family. You are all in my prayers, and may GOD BLESS YOU ALL !
These reporters are always quick to bring out someones past but they never want to tell about the present or what good a person does. "Judge not : least ye be Judged" most of their information comes from *surprise* THE COPS. People are judged by the cops , and reporters, before they are even in front of the Real Judge. Who says a person can't turn their life around. Who can say they are without sin (certainly not this reporter) because no one is without sin. Even they sin every day because they might say something like "I don't like her shoes"..well guess what that is judging someone so they have sinned. from what I gather , James payed his debt to society..the past is just what it means..."THE PAST". instead of looking to James' past they should be using their fine judgement to catch the sorry piece of inhuman, Filth that took James' life and the life with him from his family. I think if someone takes a life they should let the family of that person decide their fate.
God Bless The Long Family
To James, Rest In Peace in the Arms of Our Heavenly Father.
Out to Lunch

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2010

Judged:

If the family is so upset, then take your anger out on the people who committed the crime and not the people who are just doing their jobs by reporting the news and facts. YES a peson can turn their life around, but that doesn't change their lengthy criminal history, and by doing some research on the matter, I found out it was lengthy. There was a long list of arrests made. God forgives us of our sins, but we still have to live with the repercutions of those sins. You guys have got to be open minded enough to know that his criminal history was an imperative part of the story. I can't beleive some of the close-minded, judgemental people who still live in Harlan County. And what makes me most upset is people who claim THEY are Christians getting hostile toward the media (innocent bystanders). Looks to me like there's people out there who need to practice what they preach.
lilmissknowitall

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2010

well let me tell you something out to lunch im not a christian i believe in god and i dont think god likes what you just said whats it any of your damn buisness what james's past was,? lenghty or not and i dont think noone is mad at no reporters im saying they want to throw a dead mans past criminal history out there why do them devils do that? dont they know his family is in enough pain {they dont give a shit}as long as they get their report in the paper or on the news they make me sick they think their so smart, and u gone out to lunch needs to stay out to lunch and stop looking up dead peoples criminal history.and im sure you dont sin either!like lusting or really being pissed at me now,thats not chistian like,i guess you just know in your dumb a@@ mind that james went to hell to dontcha "becuase of his past"well my bible said jesus told the theif on the cross he would be in paridise with him.well they didnt put that theif on the cross for praying to much, mary the prostitute was a follower of jesus she washed his feet with her tears and dried it with her hair,i can quote you more and more of the bible but imnot you already know it all after all you are a reporter,i love james he is in heaven with his heavenly father but the poor man is still being judged ha ha you ppl r sick and depressed like you just cant wait to write up a big report when then prostitutes get caught well have u ever met one ? have u ever set down and talk to one?well i have, ive let them cry on my shoulder becuase they're strung out on drugs and hate what they do, they r so pitiful but hey its a story so keep writing one day you yourself are going to be judged by the big guy upstairs .i love u james r.i.p my friend
Out to Lunch

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2010

I am not a reporter. I am a Christian. I love everybody, including you lilmissknowitall. You are entitled to your pain. You are entitled to your beliefs. And go ahead - preach at me all you want and say mean things to me. It doesn't bother me, because I don't live life to please man. Mine is a personal journey with only my God to answer to. And if I'm wrong with my convictions, then God will reveal that to me. I am only saying that anger is being wrongly displaced toward the media when they are the mere messengers. I'm so thankful that God does let go of our past mistakes and wipes the slate clean. That's the heavenly victory we have as Christians. But here on Earth, criminal backgrounds continue to exist. I believe Mr. Long is in Heaven if he said the sinner's prayer. I hope one day to see him there, in that place where we will all "Understand it better by and by."
lilmissknowitall

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2010

Judged:

oh out to lunch im so sorry im setting here with tears in my eyes im so sorry if i hurt your feelings im just really sad over alot of things james is one of them you are the first persons thats had me crying in a long time but god is deffintly dealing with me im a backslider and ive been measiable ever since but im living in sin im not married to the man i live with and i know god will change all that if ide just go to him its just that fisrt step ya know,im really so sorry i hope youll forgive me god said if you hurt one of my little ones ill deal with you and i sure dont want to hurt noones feelings.will u please write me back and let me know your not angery with me i would sure appriate that god bless you.
Friend

Baxter, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2010

Judged:

I know Debbie is always running her mouth about news some that makes it to the paper and some that don't all she wants to do is spread gossip her big fat ass husband is always telling everything that they call that fat ass wife of his to tell the story on why don't she put it in the paper about her daughter could it have been drugs that made her so sick someone need to talk to the newspaper about her a lot of stuff that should not be told is told before the cops every get there thanks to her fat ass husband
Out to Lunch

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2010

I'm not mad at anybody, lilmiss. Certainly not mad at you. You have proven by your posts that you are a person of feelings. I am so sorry for your hurt and loss. And I will say a prayer for you tonight ! None of us are perfect. We all have shortcomings. Don't cry. Rejoice in all that God has done and CAN DO for you ! No one ever sees eye to eye on things, and it's human nature to have varying opinions. What I take issue with is how some people (Like "Friend" in the post above) is reacting. Such terrible, mean-spirited words. My heart breaks for this entire situation. I just hope for the good of the family and as a community as a whole, we can put childish namecalling aside and really be there for each other as God intended ! We all get mad and frustrated and don't understand why some things happen and why some people do the things they do, but "Vengence Is Mine Sayeth the Lord!" Leave it in the hands of God and refrain from evil thought or spoken word (example - "Friend's above post) and God will heal the broken hearted and mend the severed ties.
lilmissknowitall

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2010

thank you out to lunch and please remember me in your prayers tonight and friend to i mean im not totally agreeing with the name calling but friend is totally right about debbie caldwell becuase she told some bad stuff onme not very long ago and i never could figure out why because she really doesnt know me but her son is running fromthe law and he is living right down there in wallins with tinsy,i bet the newspaper would like to hear about that but im going to be good and start praying for ppl myself becuase god is on his way and i really dont like this sinfull life i have anger that i dont even know why my boyfriend has been walking on pins and needles for the last three days becuase im making him measiable it just sadens me that someone would do this to james he would do anything to help anybody i knwo what he was doing wasntrightmygodwhat is this place comming to we going to just start killing drug dealers now?the news said the suspect had grey curly hair and was about 5'9 or 5'10 well theres this guy that was selling for james and he lived in baxter that fits that guys descirtion to a t his name is randy nolan and i heard they were going to get a load well i do know james justhad sold some land theday before and had 30;000 to 50,000 on him so it could have been the money and the drugs.again thank u out to lunch for not being mad at me i cant wait until they do find the killer god bless u out to lunch and god bless you to friend
Afflicted

Erlanger, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2010

I ORIGINALLY INTENDED THIS REPLY TO BE FOR YOUR COMMENT "OUT TO LUNCH." I WROTE IT LAST NIGHT BEFORE YOURS AND "LILMISSKNOWITALL'S" REBUTTLE. I COPIED IT IN CASE I LOST IT. THIS MORNING, I WANTED TO SEE IF ANYONE RESPONDED & NOTICED THAT MY COMMENT DIDN'T POST. THEN I SAW THE REBUTTLE. WOW! THAT'S WHY MY COMMENT DIDN'T POST! WELL, THANK GOD! I THINK THE BOTH OF YOU LEARNED FROM EACHOTHER,& GOD DEFINATELY USED YOU TO WITNESS. GLORY TO GOD. I'M GOING TO POST MY COMMENT ANYHOW,NOT IN AN OFFENSIVE WAY TO ANYONE,BUT I JUST WANT PEOPLE TO UNDERSTAND. I'VE BEEN WITH MY GRANDMA (JAMES' SISTER), AUNTS, & UNCLES, THESE PAST FEW DAYS. I WAS THERE DURING THE NEWS TAPING YESTERDAY AFTERNOON. I'VE BEEN THERE BEFORE AND AFTER THE LAYOUT/FUNERAL SERVICE. I WAS THERE DURING THE VERY ANNOINTED FAMILY PRAYER & WORD FROM THE LORD. I'VE HEARD THEIR OPINIONS. THIS WAS MY POST. BTW,GOD BLESS YOU 4 HELPING "LILMISS..."

"HELLO, I'M NOT A LOCAL, BUT I'M VERY, VERY CLOSE WITH MY FAMILY IN HARLAN, INCLUDING UNCLE JAMES. THE WORDS "CLOSE-MINDED" ARE THE EXACT WORDS I WOULD USE TO DESCRIBE THE MEDIA AND SOME OF THE INVESTIGATORS TO BE QUITE HONEST. I KNOW THAT EVERYONE IS ONLY STATING THEIR OPINIONS, AND THAT'S FINE. I CAN'T EXPLAIN TO YOU IN WORDS, THE GRIEF AND DISBELIEF THAT THE FAMILY IS DEALING WITH. I UNDERSTAND THAT MS. LORI SETTLES HAS TO DO WHAT SHE IS TOLD, BUT I MYSELF, BEING A CONSCIOUS MINDED INDIVIDUAL WOULD'VE THOUGHT ABOUT ALL OF MY READERS. HOW WOULD YOU FEEL, IF YOUR UNCLE WAS IN THE SAME SITUATION AND A COLUMN WAS BEING WRITTEN ABOUT HIM (BEFORE HE WAS EVEN LAID TO REST), AND ALL THAT WAS WRITTEN WAS THE FACT THAT HE HAD A CRIMINAL HISTORY. YES, HE HAD A CRIMINAL HISTORY. YES, SOME OF THE CHARGES WERE VALID. DID YOU CATCH THAT? SOME. DID YOU KNOW THAT JAMES, BEFORE BEING SENTENCED, WAS COAXED BY A CERTAIN LAWYER TO PLEAD "GUILTY," TO ALL OF THE CHARGES. ALL OF THEM. CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT? A LAWYER? NOOOO... By pleading guilty, defendants not only forfeit the right to prove their innocence but they often foreclose any chance of prevailing on appeal or in post-conviction proceedings. False Guilty Pleas are the dirty little secret of the criminal justice system. ANYWHO, THIS WAS JAMES' CIRCUMSTANCE. HE WAS TOLD THAT IF HE MADE A GUILTY PLEA, HIS SENTENCE WOULD BE LIGHTENED TO 6 MONTHS. WHAT? 6 MONTHS? I'D TAKE IT! SO, IF YOU SHOULD KNOW, SOME OF THE CHARGES MENTIONED IN THAT LITTLE ARTICLE WERE NOT REALLY COMMITTED BY JAMES. BUT WHO KNOWS, MAYBE ONE DAY, THERE WILL BE A BOOK. I'D BUY! MY POINT, IS THAT SOMETIMES WE LIKE TO GIVE OUR OPINIONS ON THINGS WHEN WE DON'T KNOW ENOUGH ABOUT THE SITUATION. WE LIKE TO POINT OUR FINGERS AT FAMILY MEMBERS, AND AT PEOPLE WHO TRY TO LIVE RIGHT. NO ONE THERE CLAIMS THEYRE PERFECT...WE'VE ALL FALLEN SHORT...THEY'RE JUST HURT. YOU SEE, THE FAMILY WOULD'VE BEEN SATISFIED WITH A PIECE WRITTEN A LITTLE SOMETHING LIKE THIS...

Long had a criminal history. According to an article from the Harlan Daily Enterprise from 2006, Long received a total of 20 years in prison for various charges related to drug trafficking. Long has since been released, and was trying to get his business back on track. Long has been a long-time and well respected contractor in Harlan County for many years. Many remember him as being a thoughtful and generous citizen to the people of Harlan County. He leaves behind 2 daughters, a son, and an abundance of family members.

ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT? NO, STILL GETS THE POINT ACROSS, DOESN'T IT? JUST DOESN'T GIVE A PERFECT STRANGER, THE IDEA THAT JAMES WAS, AND ALL THAT HE WAS, WAS A MENACE TO SOCIETY. BECAUSE HE WAS SO MUCH BETTER THAN THAT. HOPE THAT THERE IS NO OFFENSE BEING TAKEN TO MY LITTLE COMMENT HERE. NOT THAT A LITTLE GOSSIP COLUMN DESERVES THIS, BUT FOR JAMES. HE DESERVES TO BE REPRESENTED, IN THE LEAST, BETTER THAN THAT. WE, AS A FAMILY AREN'T HIDING THE FACT THAT HE HAS HAD A CRIMINAL PAST, BUT JUST TRYING TO GET OUR POINT ACROSS THAT THE ARTICLE WAS DISRESPECTFULLY INCOMPLETE."
humored

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2010

Holly Wilson-Virginia wrote:
This is so sad. No matter what has happened in the past, James certainly did not deserve this! Another issue that was undeserving was the fact that, Lori Settles, the so called writer of the article had to disrespect the family by bringing up his past...they know what he did. He has not even been buried yet! What did she think she would accomplish by writing that? Since she was so determined to get in a low blow, she could have followed up with that info in a story at later time, maybe AFTER his funeral OR when the bastard that did this is caught!!! I think it is distasteful and disrespectful of her to do that and she should be ashamed of herself!!I sure hope Lori Settles doesn't live in a glass house.
You're right ..it's wrong to talk bad about people that have past

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••