Sweden, Martin Luther King, and a let...

Sweden, Martin Luther King, and a letter to President Obama

There are 24 comments on the OpEdNews story from Sep 2, 2013, titled Sweden, Martin Luther King, and a letter to President Obama. In it, OpEdNews reports that:

President Obama, perhaps there are some things that it might prove useful for me to share.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at OpEdNews.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Yes WE Can! Yes we Will!”

Since: Jul 07

Baltimore, Md.

#1 Sep 3, 2013
What is happening in the Sweden that much of the world admired?
Masud_S_Hoghughi __

London, UK

#2 Sep 4, 2013
wots MLK got to do wit sweden yo?- waz he ph**kin sum hoez from over there?.........
Masud_S_Hoghughi __

London, UK

#3 Sep 4, 2013
this guy's singin about MLK.........

Not Stupid

Borlänge, Sweden

#4 Sep 4, 2013
Discrimination against those that are 'other' than ones own is all too human, and Obama - as the son of a Kenyan man whose family has Islamic roots - does seem to provide an 'object lesson' as to the potential in 'all'. Whether that object lesson is wasted, or not - that remains to be seen.

“Yes WE Can! Yes we Will!”

Since: Jul 07

Baltimore, Md.

#5 Sep 5, 2013
Masud_S_Hoghughi__ wrote:
wots MLK got to do wit sweden yo?- waz he ph**kin sum hoez from over there?.........
Dr. KIng was an admirer of Swedish social democracy.

“Happiness comes through giving”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#7 Sep 5, 2013
Spoiled Brat wrote:
<quoted text>
MLK was only important to the black slaves in America.
Is that why the U.S. has a national holiday for him?

“bar0ckalypse n0w”

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#8 Sep 5, 2013
I'd love to see blacks act like MLK today.

He wore a suit and tie, and spoke clear, concise English.

Most blacks can't pull their pants up or complete a sentence... thanks to their subservience to liberals.

“Yes WE Can! Yes we Will!”

Since: Jul 07

Baltimore, Md.

#9 Sep 5, 2013
Spoiled Brat wrote:
<quoted text>
MLK was only important to the black slaves in America.
There were no slaves in America during the 1960s, you simpleton. And Dr. King was a man of world historical significance. What hegel would call a "world historical individual."

“Yes WE Can! Yes we Will!”

Since: Jul 07

Baltimore, Md.

#10 Sep 5, 2013
mjjcpa wrote:
I'd love to see blacks act like MLK today.
He wore a suit and tie, and spoke clear, concise English.
Most blacks can't pull their pants up or complete a sentence... thanks to their subservience to liberals.
On average those blacks areabove your level. And if you reactionaries knew more about Dr. KIng, you wouldn't want to mention his name. After all, his movement was a "liberal" left movement, and King was imself to the left of liberalism.

“bar0ckalypse n0w”

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#11 Sep 5, 2013
Savant wrote:
<quoted text>
On average those blacks areabove your level. And if you reactionaries knew more about Dr. KIng, you wouldn't want to mention his name. After all, his movement was a "liberal" left movement, and King was imself to the left of liberalism.
That's a lie.

“Yes WE Can! Yes we Will!”

Since: Jul 07

Baltimore, Md.

#15 Sep 7, 2013
mjjcpa wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a lie.
Dr. King himself regarded the Black Frredom Movement as a PROGRESSIVE movement, and he was correct in doing so. I've done RESEARCH on the thought of King, which put me in contact with the King Papers project and the King Estate. So I know what I'm talking about.

“Yes WE Can! Yes we Will!”

Since: Jul 07

Baltimore, Md.

#16 Sep 7, 2013
mjjcpa wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a lie.
By th eway, Mr. Conservative--Barry Goldwater himself--ran a 1964 presidential campaign OPPOSING the Civil Rights Act of 1964. He helped launch the conservative movement which would lead to the hijacking of the Republican Party--oncea more BALANCED party--by the right wing.
He and others helped cement Black alienation from what was once the Party of Lincoln.
QuiteNot unsurprisingly, Dr. King and about 95% of the Black electorate (at least those who COULD vote)turned against the Republican Party. The antics of Nixon and Reagan only intensified this tendency. The Republican Party has its own self to blame.

“Yes WE Can! Yes we Will!”

Since: Jul 07

Baltimore, Md.

#17 Sep 7, 2013
DR King and SWEDEN

Here's something that King himself said about Sweden & ScandinaviA in general:
"This was, for most of us, our first trip to Scaninavia, and we looked forward to making many new friends. We felt we had much to learn from Sweden's DEMOCRATIC SOCIALIST TRADITION and from the manner in which they had overcome many of the social and economic problems that still plague far more powerful and affluent nations. IN both Norway and Sweden, whose economies are literally dwarfed by the size of our affluence and the extent of our technology, they have no unemployment and no slums. Their men, women and children have long enjoyed free medical care and quality education. This contrast to the limited, halting steps taken by our rich nation nation deeply troubled me."(THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR., p. 259)
King was referring experiences of his and his supporters while he was in Europe to receive the 1964 Nobel Peace Prize.
Timothy

Norfolk, VA

#19 Sep 10, 2013
Savant wrote:
DR King and SWEDEN
Here's something that King himself said about Sweden & ScandinaviA in general:
"This was, for most of us, our first trip to Scaninavia, and we looked forward to making many new friends. We felt we had much to learn from Sweden's DEMOCRATIC SOCIALIST TRADITION and from the manner in which they had overcome many of the social and economic problems that still plague far more powerful and affluent nations. IN both Norway and Sweden, whose economies are literally dwarfed by the size of our affluence and the extent of our technology, they have no unemployment and no slums. Their men, women and children have long enjoyed free medical care and quality education. This contrast to the limited, halting steps taken by our rich nation nation deeply troubled me."(THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR., p. 259)
King was referring experiences of his and his supporters while he was in Europe to receive the 1964 Nobel Peace Prize.
Well Brother, the following link shows Dr. King speaking in Sweden about issues in 1966. So, we know what Dr. Martin Luther King stood for. Dr. King stood for racial equality and social justice. He desired economic justice in a intrepid way as well. He believed in the dignity and the value of all human life. He was opposed to war and desired for peace. That is why he was right to condemn the Vietnam War. He desired human liberation and outlined a critique of capitalism. These times remind us that the fight for liberation is not yet over, but with our acts, we can achieve our freedom at the end of the day. Many human beings are waking up to see that progressive thinking not reactionary adolescent slogans are the way to witness true insight about the functions of the Universe.

It is found in this link:

“Yes WE Can! Yes we Will!”

Since: Jul 07

Baltimore, Md.

#20 Sep 10, 2013
Timothy wrote:
<quoted text>
Well Brother, the following link shows Dr. King speaking in Sweden about issues in 1966. So, we know what Dr. Martin Luther King stood for. Dr. King stood for racial equality and social justice. He desired economic justice in a intrepid way as well. He believed in the dignity and the value of all human life. He was opposed to war and desired for peace. That is why he was right to condemn the Vietnam War. He desired human liberation and outlined a critique of capitalism. These times remind us that the fight for liberation is not yet over, but with our acts, we can achieve our freedom at the end of the day. Many human beings are waking up to see that progressive thinking not reactionary adolescent slogans are the way to witness true insight about the functions of the Universe.
It is found in this link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =mKgq0jMpLmkXX
Good clip. I've been doing some research on Kingian thought. He was far more progressive than is commonly known; and perhaps more REVOLUTIONARY than many folk who are thought to be revolutionary.

“Yes WE Can! Yes we Will!”

Since: Jul 07

Baltimore, Md.

#21 Sep 13, 2013
Timothy wrote:
<quoted text>
Well Brother, the following link shows Dr. King speaking in Sweden about issues in 1966. So, we know what Dr. Martin Luther King stood for. Dr. King stood for racial equality and social justice. He desired economic justice in a intrepid way as well. He believed in the dignity and the value of all human life. He was opposed to war and desired for peace. That is why he was right to condemn the Vietnam War. He desired human liberation and outlined a critique of capitalism. These times remind us that the fight for liberation is not yet over, but with our acts, we can achieve our freedom at the end of the day. Many human beings are waking up to see that progressive thinking not reactionary adolescent slogans are the way to witness true insight about the functions of the Universe.
It is found in this link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =mKgq0jMpLmkXX
Speaking of Sweden, there's an interesting flic called "Black Power Mixtape." It's a record of docmentary reports and interviews of the Black Power Movement (1967--1975) by Swedish reporters and journalists. I hope that Sweden does not lose its progressiveness.

“Yes WE Can! Yes we Will!”

Since: Jul 07

Baltimore, Md.

#22 Sep 13, 2013
Not Stupid wrote:
Discrimination against those that are 'other' than ones own is all too human, and Obama - as the son of a Kenyan man whose family has Islamic roots - does seem to provide an 'object lesson' as to the potential in 'all'. Whether that object lesson is wasted, or not - that remains to be seen.
Barack Obama is a rather cosmopolitan man of African descent. And in a society which is traditionally not only anti-Black but parochial and anti-intellectual, this makes Obama even more detestable for our American haters. If it's not bad enough that he's BLACK, he's also intellectual and worldly. A "ni***r" who not only didn't stay in his place, but traveled abroad and now occupies the White House.
I have many issues with Obama---and I'm a Black American. But issues are not the issues of those loony haters.

“bar0ckalypse n0w”

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#23 Sep 13, 2013
Lois G. Lerner, the woman at the center of the Internal Revenue Service scandal over special scrutiny of conservative groups, specifically targeted tea party applications and directed that they be held up in 2011 in order to come up with an agency policy, according to several of Ms. Lerner’s emails released by a House committee Thursday.

In one 2011 email, Ms. Lerner specifically calls the tea party applications for tax-exempt status problematic, which seems to counter Democrats’ arguments that tea party groups weren’t targeted.
Timothy

Norfolk, VA

#24 Sep 13, 2013
Savant wrote:
<quoted text>Speaking of Sweden, there's an interesting flic called "Black Power Mixtape." It's a record of docmentary reports and interviews of the Black Power Movement (1967--1975) by Swedish reporters and journalists. I hope that Sweden does not lose its progressiveness.
Yes, I saw the whole documentary before. I brought it years ago by instinct. It shows the views of Kwame Ture, Black Panthers, and other heroes of the black liberation movement. It outlined the diversity of the black liberation movement from the more progressive Black Panthers to the more conservative NOI members. Also, Kwame Ture's part was interesting since he said in the video that he wanted America to be defeated by the Vietnamese, which was taboo during that time period. Kwame Ture later on followed pan Africanism, which I have no issue with at all. Kwame Ture always had admiration for Dr. King, but he disagreed with his views on nonviolence (as Kwame Ture said that it was a legitimate tactic though). Even Kwame acknowledged that Dr. King became more revolutionary overtly by the late 1960's. We all hope that the progressive ethos of Sweden never dies.

Sinajuavi

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#25 Sep 13, 2013
mjjcpa wrote:
I'd love to see blacks act like MLK today.
He wore a suit and tie, and spoke clear, concise English.
Most blacks can't pull their pants up or complete a sentence... thanks to their subservience to liberals.
What a complete ass you are.

MOST blacks? You obviously aren't around black people much. I'm dealing with them daily and nobody fits your negative stereotype that I've met lately.

Liberals had nothing to do with creating urban gang dysfunction, you ridiculous Faux-News-inculcated fascist. It is the result of poverty and corporate manipulation of cities and the pop culture.

You're f'ed up. Fix yourself or come see me... I'll correct you. You'll be a better person for it, after you've completely the physical therapy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Liberal Political News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trump Isn't Bluffing, He'll Deport 11 Million P... 3 hr Black Russian 5,757
News You Can Be Progressive. You Can Be Libertarian.... Wed Captain Yesterday 2
News "Being an atheist does not mean being anti-Chri... (Dec '14) Jul 26 thetruth 52
News Everyone in Detroit Should Have Access To Clean... (Oct '14) Jul 25 ThomasA 4
News Ana Navarro Slaps Trump For Bringing Joe Arpaio... Jul 23 Wildchild 4
News Race and Beyond: Let's Talk About Race and Poverty (Oct '12) Jul 23 Human 156
News Is Russia deepening Cooperation with US in Syri... Jul 23 USA Today 1
More from around the web