'In God We Trust' is a go

'In God We Trust' is a go

There are 56 comments on the Democratic Underground Latest Breaking News story from Jan 12, 2013, titled 'In God We Trust' is a go. In it, Democratic Underground Latest Breaking News reports that:

Source: Alamogordo Daily News "Alamogordo will move ahead with a plan to display the words "In God We Trust" inside city hall, following in the footsteps of Artesia and several hundred other United States municipalities and counties... Galea, who sponsored the resolution, granted two fifteen minute-long periods for citizens to speak in favor of or ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Democratic Underground Latest Breaking News.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Bills SqPants

Nha Trang, Vietnam

#44 Jan 16, 2013
roto hooter man wrote:
<quoted text>
right!!!!!!!!! like I'm going to mov on wit my God because a computer in Hanoi, Vietnam suggests a movie to watch. I think not.
Looks like a funny movie thought, thank your deteriorating hard drive for me. Gonna watch it right now!
go to U.N. new york ask for the UN translation!!! ;-000
wild about ya

Alamogordo, NM

#45 Jan 16, 2013
Bills SqPants wrote:
<quoted text>
go to U.N. new york ask for the UN translation!!! ;-000
What's an alien ?.........;-D
Dooors

Nha Trang, Vietnam

#46 Jan 16, 2013
wild about ya wrote:
<quoted text>
What's an alien ?.........;-D
;-00000h, i"m not Paul from Area 52!!;)~
wild a

Alamogordo, NM

#47 Jan 16, 2013
Dooors wrote:
<quoted text>
;-00000h, i"m not Paul from Area 52!!;)~
and here I thought the funny part was ha was talkin' to a guy from India (an alien)
Gorky

Albuquerque, NM

#48 Jan 18, 2013
Is the God in which we trust the same God that talks to people and tells them to do stuff, like rob a bank, kill their spouse, cause politicians to fondle the breasts of other men's wives, etc.? Does it really work?
It depends

Edgewood, NM

#49 Jan 18, 2013
Gorky wrote:
Is the God in which we trust the same God that talks to people and tells them to do stuff, like rob a bank, kill their spouse, cause politicians to fondle the breasts of other men's wives, etc.? Does it really work?
on who YOUR God is. Alah commands some rather harsh treatment for women, and I don't hear you calling that religion out? My God tells me to respect ALL peoples and offer the same that you expect in return. Love you family and friends and do your BEST at all time. Give when able but never make excuses for your own shortcomings. NEVER expect something for nothing. Obey the laws of the land.
Too bad your God isn't as influential with you
keep hatee go

Nha Trang, Vietnam

#50 Jan 18, 2013
Gorky wrote:
Is the God in which we trust the same God that talks to people and tells them to do stuff, like rob a bank, kill their spouse, cause politicians to fondle the breasts of other men's wives, etc.? Does it really work?
religious, science, politic....U never fix the www.abc.com/123
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Darwin
here is my Second cousin!
;-0000
union blue yankee

Alamogordo, NM

#51 Jan 18, 2013
Gorky wrote:
Is the God in which we trust the same God that talks to people and tells them to do stuff, like rob a bank, kill their spouse, cause politicians to fondle the breasts of other men's wives, etc.? Does it really work?
Forgive me. I can not pass this one up. It a great question Gorky. The dark ages and times archeologists have collected large amounts of stuff from, give us glimpses of man with and without religion.
Please cut me a little slack here, you know as well as I that this is a tough explain. So please grant me a little grace.
Even before the missionaries ventured into unknown lands, people believed in gods. All sorts of them. Sun gods, moon gods, fire gods, gods of rain, snow, the oceans, river gods, turtle gods, frogs and cows. The list is endless. Many, many, many people through out time attempted to talk with these gods and some, like Son of Sam, Berkowitz, David believed that god spoke to him. He was undeniably not the first of this kind of person. Yet if he had spoken to you before he started killing, you may well have tagged him a religious christian after hearing him speak to you. Yet, after years of observation, I have found a frighteningly high number of people who have never stepped foot in a church or sat under what you would call religious brain washing, believe themselves to be talking to god.
How do I keep this short? You asked if it really works? Though I can hear the sarcasm from my living room and have stated that I believe you, to not be open minded in your final days. I will wrap this up. Mankind with religion or without seeks what is called 'a God'. A supreme Being. The history of Europe and America clearly show a change in what originally was a savage people. The changes that take place when you educate a culture are always note worthy.
Every change has a down side and you are free to zero in on that, it's your choice. But history clearly shows a upside of the bible being taught in a society.
So, in my opinion, the answer to your question, does it really work, is yes. If you follow the directions and continue to follow the directions, undeniably the bible is wonderful.
As you know though, most of us are immediate gratifiers and no, it does not work well for an undedicated seeker.
Half assed people have always been just that, half assed people.
Gorky

Albuquerque, NM

#52 Jan 18, 2013
Reply to union blue Yankee.

My post was in the context of the Mayor's call for the "In God We Trust" logo. You put it into another context which I will gladly address.

There are many different ways to describe the nature of God and how people understand that nature and in what context. Those people you talk about decided for themselves, as a group, the nature and purpose they wanted for their particular deity to fulfill. In our case, the Mayor did it for us and that is the source of my objection. I do not object to what people come up with for themselves, as silly as they can sometimes be. And I am not fond of you telling me how or what to believe as you may have noticed.

My personal belief is that secular or reasoned explanations for human events are easier to digest than the mystical appearance of a Holy Ghost. That said, religion, as metaphor, is useful for understanding the human condition and other things that we can't understand using rational logic.

I thought that I had made this clear in earlier posts, but you may not have read them.

We can still be, when you consider the Ayn Rand libertarians, a savage people who believe in every man for himself. But mostly we are civilized humans capable of living in communities, helping our neighbors, and showing compassion for the less fortunate. Kind of like what Jesus recommended.

The people in America you referred to as savages were defending themselves from European savages who wanted their land. They weren't really savages. You would have done the same thing to protect your family and your community.

Your comment about the completeness of my ass is your opinion and you are welcome to express it.
union blue yankee

Alamogordo, NM

#53 Jan 18, 2013
Gorky wrote:
Reply to union blue Yankee.
My post was in the context of the Mayor's call for the "In God We Trust" logo. You put it into another context which I will gladly address.
There are many different ways to describe the nature of God and how people understand that nature and in what context. Those people you talk about decided for themselves, as a group, the nature and purpose they wanted for their particular deity to fulfill. In our case, the Mayor did it for us and that is the source of my objection. I do not object to what people come up with for themselves, as silly as they can sometimes be. And I am not fond of you telling me how or what to believe as you may have noticed.
My personal belief is that secular or reasoned explanations for human events are easier to digest than the mystical appearance of a Holy Ghost. That said, religion, as metaphor, is useful for understanding the human condition and other things that we can't understand using rational logic.
I thought that I had made this clear in earlier posts, but you may not have read them.
We can still be, when you consider the Ayn Rand libertarians, a savage people who believe in every man for himself. But mostly we are civilized humans capable of living in communities, helping our neighbors, and showing compassion for the less fortunate. Kind of like what Jesus recommended.
The people in America you referred to as savages were defending themselves from European savages who wanted their land. They weren't really savages. You would have done the same thing to protect your family and your community.
Your comment about the completeness of my ass is your opinion and you are welcome to express it.
You must have just gotten stoned before you arrived on Topics. because my post was in response to a question you asked nothing more. And I was not directing my comment to the completeness or incompleteness of your ass. I did not ask you a question. And as for yours, don't ask sarcastic questions because someone might just answer them. Progressive my ass! Your just another common liar. Nothing more to it.
Gorky

Albuquerque, NM

#54 Jan 19, 2013
union blue yankee wrote:
<quoted text>
You must have just gotten stoned before you arrived on Topics. because my post was in response to a question you asked nothing more. And I was not directing my comment to the completeness or incompleteness of your ass. I did not ask you a question. And as for yours, don't ask sarcastic questions because someone might just answer them. Progressive my ass! Your just another common liar. Nothing more to it.
What makes you think I was stoned? Does your inability to understand cause me to be stoned? What do you have against sarcastic questions? Is it against your law to comment on your statements and opinions? What does your ass have to do with my view of life? Since when does your inability to comprehend make me a liar?
musa

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia

#55 Jan 19, 2013
.

&li st=PLE0C43960CD17F8F3

.
musa

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia

#56 Jan 19, 2013
The True message & Gospel of Jesus

.

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php...

.
musa

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia

#57 Jan 19, 2013
musa

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia

#58 Jan 19, 2013
musa

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia

#59 Jan 19, 2013
here is why jesus was a muslim

.

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php...

.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Liberal Political News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Can Trump pardon anyone? Himself? Can he fire M... 2 hr Marcavage s Emission 7
News Did Republicans Rig the Election? (Nov '16) 5 hr too many dumbos 190
News The NRA And The Worst Ad You May Ever See 6 hr Big Al 53
News Another shoe drops in the White House's burgeon... Jul 19 WasteWater 43
News Jonathan Alter Shoots Down Lying Republican Pro... Jul 17 Barry Soetoro on ... 21
News Moral Corrosion of Drone Warfare Jul 17 Pessimistic Outlook 1
News WSJ: On Election Day, There Were 150K Attempted... Jul 17 CodeTalker 2
More from around the web