The Surrealism of the Everyday in Serbia

The Surrealism of the Everyday in Serbia

There are 1 comment on the IPS story from Nov 5, 2012, titled The Surrealism of the Everyday in Serbia. In it, IPS reports that:

Pancevo is a small Serbian city located just northeast of Belgrade. It has some lovely Habsburg architecture.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at IPS.

Karolcik

Czech Republic

#1 Nov 5, 2012
"I have a friend who did an interview with the British music deejay John Peel, a very interesting personality, a very clever man. This was in 1991 just shortly after the first incidents in Croatia with the Serbian minority there opposing the Croatian government, which would eventually lead to the war in ex-Yugoslavia. When the interview was over, my friend was asked by John Peel, of all people,“Okay, can I ask you one question?”

My friend said,“Yeah sure.”

John Peel said,“What is going on in your country? It seems like there’s going to be a war over there.”

And my friend said,“War? No, no. They quarrel all the time over some stupid thing. But in the end they eventually end up in a bar getting drunk. It will be like an affair that lasts a few days and everything will be fine after that.”

My friend never mentioned this in the article he wrote for a paper here. I remember this incident years after the interview because I was just like my friend. I thought everything would stop after a few days. So, I was thinking how was it possible that a disk jockey understood what was going to happen in Yugoslavia? But we the people living here couldn’t understand."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Liberal Political News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trump Isn't Bluffing, He'll Deport 11 Million P... 1 hr WasteWater 5,233
News Race and Beyond: Let's Talk About Race and Poverty (Oct '12) 2 hr Human 156
News Is Russia deepening Cooperation with US in Syri... 3 hr USA Today 1
News Everyone in Detroit Should Have Access To Clean... (Oct '14) 5 hr Governor Leadwater 3
News Sunnis Big Losers in Iraq Elections, PM al-Mali... (May '14) 8 hr Tom Fontaine Proxy 25
News Ana Navarro Slaps Trump For Bringing Joe Arpaio... Fri HOLLA ISABELLA 3
News The Coup in Turkey has Thrown a Wrench in Uncle... Fri progressive 1
More from around the web