Some Republicans begin pressing case ...

Some Republicans begin pressing case on need for immigration changes

There are 211 comments on the The Washington Post story from Jan 18, 2013, titled Some Republicans begin pressing case on need for immigration changes. In it, The Washington Post reports that:

A growing number of Republicans and conservative groups have begun pushing for comprehensive immigration changes on the eve of President Obama's inauguration, joining liberal Democrats in hopes of propelling the politically fraught issue forward early in his second term.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Washington Post.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#126 Jan 22, 2013
lost-cause wrote:
Interesting conversation.
Not really. It's pretty much the same old crap as always where racist whites deny any discrimination exists and the rest of us tell them they're wrong as usual.

But it's 10 degrees out with a damn cold 30mph wind on top of it, and I'm NOT going out there right now.

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#127 Jan 22, 2013
Cat74 wrote:
If neither the Democrats, or the Repubicans can tell the difference between legal, and illegal aliens it is time for a strong 3rd party. We have laws. Don't like them, change them, but don't just ignore them.
Huh?

Okay, let me help you out here.

Congress is a LEGISLATIVE body. Legislation is LAW. Hence, if Congress passes legislation to change immigration laws, they are doing exactly what you are asking them to do- changing the law, not ignoring it.

You are just bitching because you don't like the changes to the law that they are proposing.

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#128 Jan 22, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Not really. It's pretty much the same old crap as always where racist whites deny any discrimination exists and the rest of us tell them they're wrong as usual.
But it's 10 degrees out with a damn cold 30mph wind on top of it, and I'm NOT going out there right now.
What are you complaining about? It's 5 degrees here.

I think that discimination and racism is on both sides of the coin and for the most part that "whites" today are paying for something that we had no role in. jmo

Location hidden

#129 Jan 22, 2013
Independent wrote:
<quoted text> Is that why they do not assimilate, they are nothing like the immigrates who came though Ellis isle or the ones who do it the legal way and wait their turn, they have no ambition to speak the language or pay their fair share of taxes, they rely on our gov. for hand outs.
Nonsense.

I live in San Antonio, a city that has a huge Hispanic majority.

I have NEVER met anyone of Mexican descent who was born here that does not speak English.

First generation immigrants (those not born here) often do not learn English, or learn it badly. Just as my Ukrainian grandparents spoke English badly, as your ancestors likely did, unless they came from an English speaking country.

Second generation immigrants are usually bi-lingual (though, frankly, most of them speak English better than their parent's language).

The third generation will likely speak English only (unless they take a foreign language in HS/college).

My neighbor is a Hispanic businessman. He is third generation American. I speak better Spanish than he does.
Dee Dee Dee

Emmaus, PA

#130 Jan 22, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, another psychic enters the conversation.
Hey, can you tell me what the winning Megamillions numbers are for tonight?
Lets see:
-I just looked in the mirror, yep I'm about as white as can be, especially since it's the middle of winter in Michigan and my summer tan has long since faded.
-I've been married to my husband for 26+ years, though only legally for the past 5. We had to wait until we were both retired from the military to avoid violating DADT which was still in effect at the time.
-Just because my grandparents & parents & siblings never went to college doesn't mean they didn't benefit in their lives from being white. They were never assumed to be a criminal or drug addict or gangbanger or alcoholic just because of the color of their skin. They were never denied a farm loan because it was assumed they wouldn't pay the loan back or because "their kind" wasn't wanted in the community. They were never refused membership to the church of their choosing because they were white. They were never forced to bury their ancestors in a separate cemetery down in the swampland behind the railroad tracks instead of in the nice cemetery up on the hill with the rest of the white townspeople.
Correctly for past injustices isn't racism. Recognizing there is still racism in society isn't racism. Understanding that minorities & women are still at a distinct disadvantage because of past & present institutionalized discrimination isn't racism.
However, attempting to tell me what my race is based on my support for such things in spite of my clear statement about which race I am, now THAT'S racist.
Even though I am mostly white what you call racism happened to my ancestor also. Only as I said before it was not racism. It is just the oppression that has existed from the beginning of civilization. Even though they came to the United States they still faced bigotry and oppression. My grandfathers and great grandfathers worked in coal mines from the time they were children until the day the black lung killed them. Just like many other white Europeans who worked the coal mines, steel mills and factories it was a better life than they left in Europe. They were not allowed to be buried in the same cemetery or attend the same churches as those who owned the mines. This was true many years after blacks were no longer in slavery. Many of the wealthy people from the north opposed slavery even though they owned mines and factories that paid poverty wages and treated their workers no better than slaves. They were opposed to slavery not on moral grounds though they would have you think so. They opposed slavery because they couldn't compete with the slave labor in the south.
I agree that minorities, women gays and other “groups” are at a disadvantage in some situations compared to straight white men but again that does not justify discriminating against white men or any other group. This is the best time and best country to live in if you are a member of a “disadvantaged” group so rather than expect special treatment why not rise to the challenge?
Back to my original point I see no reason for the government to collect and disseminate information that segregates people based on minor genetic differences. I happen to find the concept of the elimination of the white race as disturbing as the concept of an all Arian world. If that makes me racist then so be it.

Location hidden

#131 Jan 22, 2013
spytheweb wrote:
<quoted text>
Bigots are people who can prove who they are and the ones who have passports.
"As La Raza confirms, Mexicans maintain the most racist society in North America. "For the Hispanic race, everything; for anyone outside the race, nothing!"
The blogger you quote is wrong.

La Raza is NOT the organization that says "For the Hispanic race, everything; for anyone outside the race, nothing!" They have explicitly renounced that term for decades.

That quote comes from the radical 60s and 70s era student organization National M.E.Ch.A http://www.nationalmecha.org/

This organization is so small and badly funded that it can barely keep it's web site on line- hardly a big player in the Hispanic community.

C'mon, if you want to try and scare white folks, at least get your stuff right.

Tawas City, Michigan

#132 Jan 22, 2013
lost-cause wrote:
<quoted text>
What are you complaining about? It's 5 degrees here.
I think that discimination and racism is on both sides of the coin and for the most part that "whites" today are paying for something that we had no role in. jmo
If you benefited from that racism & discrimination (which you do if you're straight or white or christian or male), then you have a role in it.

Just because you personally didn't own slaves doesn't mean you don't benefit from the legacy of slavery.

Tawas City, Michigan

#133 Jan 22, 2013
Dee Dee Dee wrote:
<quoted text>
Even though I am mostly white what you call racism happened to my ancestor also. Only as I said before it was not racism. It is just the oppression that has existed from the beginning of civilization. Even though they came to the United States they still faced bigotry and oppression. My grandfathers and great grandfathers worked in coal mines from the time they were children until the day the black lung killed them. Just like many other white Europeans who worked the coal mines, steel mills and factories it was a better life than they left in Europe. They were not allowed to be buried in the same cemetery or attend the same churches as those who owned the mines. This was true many years after blacks were no longer in slavery. Many of the wealthy people from the north opposed slavery even though they owned mines and factories that paid poverty wages and treated their workers no better than slaves. They were opposed to slavery not on moral grounds though they would have you think so. They opposed slavery because they couldn't compete with the slave labor in the south.
I agree that minorities, women gays and other “groups” are at a disadvantage in some situations compared to straight white men but again that does not justify discriminating against white men or any other group. This is the best time and best country to live in if you are a member of a “disadvantaged” group so rather than expect special treatment why not rise to the challenge?
Back to my original point I see no reason for the government to collect and disseminate information that segregates people based on minor genetic differences. I happen to find the concept of the elimination of the white race as disturbing as the concept of an all Arian world. If that makes me racist then so be it.
White men aren't being discriminated against.

If you consider race to be just "minor genetic differences", then why such a reaction to the natural mixing of the gene pool which has been going on for millenia which may one day eliminate the very disctinction you don't want the govt to recognize?

You act as if caucasians are being intentionally bred out of existance as part of some master plan.

Location hidden

#134 Jan 22, 2013
The Sin City Cat wrote:
<quoted text> Have you ever been to any areas where Mexicans or Hispanics congregate. They turn those areas into dumps. They get a nice home and in a very short time its in total disrepair. They don't seem to know how to maintain anything.
That's got to be the dumbest thing ever written on these boards.

Those Hispanics probably built the houses to begin with, so they certainly know how to repair them.

I'm a wealthy white guy in South Texas. Most of the time when I hire someone to repair my home or one of the rental homes I own, the repair crew is mostly Hispanic.

BTW, I would argue that not only do Hispanics do just as good a job as the white folks, they are often BETTER. They work longer, they work harder, and they don't bitch, moan, and whine as much.

Especially those who might be "illegal" (I wouldn't know, because I never ask). Those that are "illegal" typically don't have families here. They come here just to work, and in my experience, they work longer and harder than most workers.

I've got a crew of four guys replacing some fencing at my house right now. One of them speaks good English, one speaks broken English, and the other two speak little or no English. They are doing a great job, far better than I would if I chose to mess around with it.

They work their asses off. They show up at 8, take about a 15 minute lunch, and stay til dark.

Tawas City, Michigan

#135 Jan 22, 2013
libertarian4321 wrote:
<quoted text>
Nonsense.
I live in San Antonio, a city that has a huge Hispanic majority.
I have NEVER met anyone of Mexican descent who was born here that does not speak English.
First generation immigrants (those not born here) often do not learn English, or learn it badly. Just as my Ukrainian grandparents spoke English badly, as your ancestors likely did, unless they came from an English speaking country.
Second generation immigrants are usually bi-lingual (though, frankly, most of them speak English better than their parent's language).
The third generation will likely speak English only (unless they take a foreign language in HS/college).
My neighbor is a Hispanic businessman. He is third generation American. I speak better Spanish than he does.
Oh how I'm missing San Antonio right about now......

In the middle of summer, not so much, but in mid January......

Location hidden

#136 Jan 22, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like most of poor white Appalachia!
Gee, could it have more to do with poverty than race??
Btw, I lived in primarily hispanic neighborhoods in south Texas for years and they looked about the same as any other neighborhood of a similar economic status regardless of ethnic background. I've also lived in some very poor nearly all white neighborhoods which look like the 3rd world countries you've described. Oh, and I've also lived in some ACTUAL 3rd world countries and seen the same thing regardless of ethnicity.
Gee, could it have more to do with poverty than race??
Only a racist would presume their race or ethnicity is the cause.....
Yup.

I'm a white guy who grew up without a lot of money. I lived in a small town in upstate NY that was almost 100% white. There were a lot of dumpy houses there, as well as a lot that were well maintained.

It's got nothing to do with race- some people take care of their houses (my father did) and others don't (the house next door was a dump)- even though both families were lower middle (or maybe "upper lower") class whites.

Location hidden

#137 Jan 22, 2013
deport deport deport wrote:
<quoted text>
Who is going to ruin the hospitals, the airlines, the military, who well build bridges and highways, who will design cars, write and produce the movies, who will perform heart surgery and fight to cure cancer if there are no whites?
Why do you think white people are RUINING hospitals, airlines and the military?

I know, I know, you didn't mean to say "ruin," you meant to say "run."

It takes a special kind of racist moron (is that redundant?) to screw up his own racist rant and give it the exact opposite meaning from what he intended.
Independent

Winchester, IN

#138 Jan 22, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, you're magic 8 ball finally got one right!
Gay marriage was legal 26 years ago?
Independent

Winchester, IN

#139 Jan 22, 2013
libertarian4321 wrote:
<quoted text>
Those Hispanics probably built the houses to begin with, so they certainly know how to repair them.
I'm a wealthy white guy in South Texas. Most of the time when I hire someone to repair my home or one of the rental homes I own, the repair crew is mostly Hispanic.
BTW, I would argue that not only do Hispanics do just as good a job as the white folks, they are often BETTER. They work longer, they work harder, and they don't bitch, moan, and whine as much.
Especially those who might be "illegal" (I wouldn't know, because I never ask). Those that are "illegal" typically don't have families here. They come here just to work, and in my experience, they work longer and harder than most workers.
I've got a crew of four guys replacing some fencing at my house right now. One of them speaks good English, one speaks broken English, and the other two speak little or no English. They are doing a great job, far better than I would if I chose to mess around with it.
They work their asses off. They show up at 8, take about a 15 minute lunch, and stay til dark.
"They work their asses off. They show up at 8, take about a 15 minute lunch, and stay till dark" so you are proud of working them like slaves? I guess it doesn't have anything to do with cheap labor either.
"Especially those who might be "illegal"
U.S. Immigration Law
Title 8 Section 1325
It is a crime crime to harbor, hide, encourage and transport any foreign national (illegal alien) who has illegally entered this nation.

Since: Feb 08

Hypoluxo Fl

#140 Jan 22, 2013
libertarian4321 wrote:
<quoted text>
HA HA HA. You haven't been on here long enough.
deport deport deport

Ardsley, NY

#141 Jan 22, 2013
libertarian4321 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you think white people are RUINING hospitals, airlines and the military?
I know, I know, you didn't mean to say "ruin," you meant to say "run."
It takes a special kind of racist moron (is that redundant?) to screw up his own racist rant and give it the exact opposite meaning from what he intended.
I hate autocorrect. However, my meaning was and is clear. Mexicans are human garbage. US-born hispanics who support illegal aliens are traitors. American liberals who think they should be granted a path to citizenship are less than fools. Give the wetbax a chance and they will drag this country down to the level of Mexico. BTW, did you enjoy the priest speaking Spanish at the inauguration? STOP the spicification of the US.
Dee Dee Dee

Emmaus, PA

#142 Jan 22, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
White men aren't being discriminated against.
If you consider race to be just "minor genetic differences", then why such a reaction to the natural mixing of the gene pool which has been going on for millenia which may one day eliminate the very disctinction you don't want the govt to recognize?
You act as if caucasians are being intentionally bred out of existance as part of some master plan.
You are clueless. You remind me of every other pro-illegal. If somebody disagrees with the party line they are racist.
I believe in evolution in not only the organic but everything even in society. Mankind has evolved to understand the concept of freedom, liberty and equality. Looking around the world it is obvious that not all of mankind has grasped the importance of equality, freedom and liberty. Even here it has taken over 200 years to evolve the concept of equality from “all white men who own property are equal” to “all men and women are equal”. We have succeeded in making legal changes to assure equality but like anything else in the world there are unforeseen consequences to forcing evolution. I oppose putting one group above another no matter how noble the intention.
As for the gene pool mixing for millennia that is not true. Until a just a few decades ago the majority of all the people on earth never encountered a person of another race in their lifetime let alone reproduced with them. Not that it is a bad thing it just rarely happened. There are areas of the world even today where people do not wed outside of their village. They can actually be punished under law for straying outside of their village for a mate.
Independent

Winchester, IN

#143 Jan 22, 2013
<quoted text>
I hate autocorrect. However, my meaning was and is clear. Mexicans are human garbage. US-born hispanics who support illegal aliens are traitors. American liberals who think they should be granted a path to citizenship are less than fools. Give the wetbax a chance and they will drag this country down to the level of Mexico. BTW, did you enjoy the priest speaking Spanish at the inauguration? STOP the spicification of the US.
He hires them to slave away for him, it would hurt his wallet if they were deported, his agenda is about the almighty dollar, it has nothing for their well being. Some like him, it's greed, others like democrats, votes, it has nothing to do with humanity.
Pug

La Grange, IL

#144 Jan 22, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
No racists blacks or browns...?
Lepor

Ames, IA

#145 Jan 22, 2013
<quoted text>
I don't care if Spanish language is part of our society.
US-born hispanics who support their fellow Hispanics are not traitors.
American liberals are not less than fools for allowing access to the American dream for all human beings regardless of country of origin.
The only reason Mexicans come here illegally is because they can and will easily find work. IF you are so desperate to see your county keep out "mexican trash" then perhaps you should direct your furor at the American businesses who allow illegals to work for them. The other simple solution is to cripple the Mexican drug cartels by making it legal for Pot heads to grow and maintain their own plants and keep the pot demand from Mexico to a bare minimum.
By the way, although illegals from Mexico come here everyday, illegals from EVERYWHERE come here every day.
Speaking of deporting illegals.....Obama has deported more than any other president EVER.
FoxNews has been lying to you, and Rush Limbaugh is a bloated idiot drug addict.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Illegal Immigration Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Critics: Trump speech signals shift to coded ra... 26 min Nope 47
News Trump Isn't Bluffing, He'll Deport 11 Million P... 2 hr Black Russian 5,757
News Police: Undocumented immigrant sexually assault... 4 hr Duh 4
News If Donald Trump Was President, Here's What Woul... (Oct '15) 10 hr WasteWater 10,498
News The dreaded deportations that would surge under... 11 hr Nursemom 24
News Lawmakers push to speed deportation of illegal ... Thu ima-Ilis Myka Ash... 1
News Border Patrol Union Blasts Hillary a Lawlessnes... Thu You Is 8
More from around the web