The illusion of ending homelessness

Jul 5, 2014 Full story: The Daily Democrat

There's a song in the movie "Jesus Christ, Superstar" where Jesus tells his disciples - who are complaining about money going for things other than the poor - that there will be "poor always."

Full Story

Since: Aug 10

Modesto, CA

#1 Jul 8, 2014
"Ultimately, however, we just might have to wave a white flag and recognize that like the poor, there will be homeless always and the best we can do is house those who want a place to live, and make life miserable for those who don't."

I think that's the idea behind laws aimed at camping, loitering, etc. if life is just too hard in one location then the losers will move on to someplace else.
as I see it

Brooklyn, NY

#2 Jul 8, 2014
Drug addiction. In beautiful Portland Maine I see many many panhandlers, some with backpacks .my guess is that half are homeless and the others a step away from it.
What really catches the eye is that most are no doubt drug addicts.I've known and spoken to a few over the years and it's all quite appearant even though I try not to be to nosy.they are by and large hopeless until they can recover from thier addiction.
At one time I would always give a couple of bucks when I met one but no more. I've lost my compassion for these people. Life is hard and requires work and a set of morals , I will gladly help those who are willing to help themselves, but in my book the drug culture is full of low lifes, crime and violence rule thier life style.
No more bleeding heart coming from me.
from the heart

Ashland, KY

#3 Jul 8, 2014
I was made homeless at 1 point in life due to divorce. It was probably the most unbearable experience of my life. No income,no family,no friends and then an eventual mental breakdown. After an extensive trip across country, I ended up in north eastern Kentucky. The cost of living is minimal and the poverty level is outrageous. I started seeing Dr.'s,taking meds and helping where I felt it was needed and deserved from personal experience. Most homeless people are there due to extreme mental illness and medicating with drugs and alcohol. Pinpointing who is which? That's the very hard part. The police make all of them a criminal regardless,so it leads to what I'm reading now. I am now remarried with a new family and home. All homeless are not useless or wasted life. Most are people who have lost their way in life due to traumatic experiences in their lives. That requires time,medical help,understanding and most of all,no outside abuse or criticism. We only get 1 life and do the best we can. So remember the next time you see that homeless old drug addict? He or she may have been molested,watched a loved one die violently,die slowly,lost a family,child,heartbreak,etc. What would be your breaking point? We all have them. But we all have compassion also. Good luck and God bless us all.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Judges Hear NSA Snooping Cases 7 hr SmokingSalmon 2
US court reconsiders order to have YouTube remo... Tue barefoot2626 46
Sea Shepherd 'in contempt of US court' Dec 19 Your Ex 1
Immigrants Closer to Driver's Licenses in Arizona Dec 19 Guess Who 1
Immigrants closer to driver's licenses in Arizona Dec 19 Guess Who 10
Young immigrants allowed to get driver's licenses Dec 18 OId Sailor 1
Supreme Court Justices reject Arizona bid over ... Dec 16 Sterkfontein Swar... 3
More from around the web