5 Constitutional Misconceptions About Same-Sex Marriage

There are 152 comments on the www.huffingtonpost.com story from Dec 21, 2012, titled 5 Constitutional Misconceptions About Same-Sex Marriage. In it, www.huffingtonpost.com reports that:

Just when liberals had begun to appreciate the virtues of federalism in the efforts to secure the right to same-sex marriage in states where the courts, legislatures and voters are most hospitable to it, the U.S. Supreme Court decided to hear an appeal from the Ninth Circuit's decision that held that California's Proposition 8 -- defining marriage as the union of one man and one woman -- violates the Equal Protection Clause of the U.S. Constitution.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.huffingtonpost.com.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last

“Post-religious”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#142 Dec 24, 2012
UR BS wrote:
<quoted text>
At least my neck is not buried inside my rear as yours is with your head.
What's the matter can't handle that your little issue is not top priority on everyones list?
You are a joke.
The equal protection of the law isn't a "little issue" and it should be everyone's issue. It's got you here.

And I've got you spinning like crazy. This is fun. I'm enjoying this sh1t. I've got you coming back for more and more abuse.

Since: Feb 12

Kaiserslautern, Germany

#143 Dec 24, 2012
Jerald wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL. Who's "bent out of shape"?
That would be you.

Kaiserslautern, Germany

#144 Dec 24, 2012
Jerald wrote:
<quoted text>
The equal protection of the law isn't a "little issue" and it should be everyone's issue. It's got you here.
And I've got you spinning like crazy. This is fun. I'm enjoying this sh1t. I've got you coming back for more and more abuse.
Abuse? Come now that might be what you are into but not me. I am here because I love to watch fools like you squirm and spin. I could care about your LITTLE ISSUE and that is exactly what it is. The poor little gay boy wants to call his boyfriend hubby and he will stomp his little feet until he gets his way. Well have fun with that.

“Post-religious”

Location hidden

#145 Dec 24, 2012
UR BS wrote:
<quoted text>
Abuse? Come now that might be what you are into but not me. I am here because I love to watch fools like you squirm and spin. I could care about your LITTLE ISSUE and that is exactly what it is. The poor little gay boy wants to call his boyfriend hubby and he will stomp his little feet until he gets his way. Well have fun with that.
I'm having a ball! LOL!

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#146 Dec 24, 2012
My opinion is this.

I'm straight and believe marriage is suppose to be between a man and a woman.

I don't support same-sex marriages and i thank you for reading this comment.

“Post-religious”

Location hidden

#147 Dec 25, 2012
Feetlicker wrote:
My opinion is this.
I'm straight and believe marriage is suppose to be between a man and a woman.
I don't support same-sex marriages and i thank you for reading this comment.
So don't marry someone of the same sex! Problem solved. You're welcome.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#148 Dec 25, 2012
Jerald wrote:
<quoted text>
So don't marry someone of the same sex! Problem solved. You're welcome.
Thanks i won't.......anytime.:)

Kaiserslautern, Germany

#149 Dec 25, 2012
Jerald wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm having a ball! LOL!
Ah how easy it is to amuse the small minded.

Kaiserslautern, Germany

#150 Dec 25, 2012
Merry Christmas to all here, weather we agree or not.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#151 Dec 25, 2012
Realized Dragon wrote:
UR BS: Do you know what I find the most fascinating in this entire thread? I find it very telling that not one of the alleged liberal, open-minded people in this discussion will even countenance the ideas that both you an d I have proposed. Rather than actually looking at the idea, they are hell-bent on proving we are wrong. This is exactly what I was talking about earlier when I asked whether or not this fight was about equal rights or the word? Every poster here, yourself excluded, has more or less proven that it is more about the word than the right and protections we are fighting for. That is a sad commentary on the intellectual honesty of both sides.
Anti-equal rights = we don't hate/it isn't religious
Pro-equal rights = no other option, even if it grants everything they allegedly desire, is acceptable.
I guess knee-jerk and pomposity are they hallmarks of the modern crusader. Too bad. Mayhaps you should all read Gandhi or Emma Goldman. They both explore the ideas surrounding opposition requiring two sides and the idea of wining through disengagement.
As I pointed out before, your proposal is well-intentioned but naive. You first have to get the anti-gay to agree to recognize gay couples at all, which will be all-but-impossible during our life-times in over half the states. You next have to get them to agree to give up the word "marriage" for themselves, which almost no one is willing to do. And finally, you have to get them to agree that same-sex and opposite-sex relationships are equal.

Pretending, for the moment, that the first two prerequisites were achievable, one must ask what sense those steps make. If we can accomplish the third item, then we can simply get married without inventing new names for being married.

Your proposal also misses its ostensible goal of reserving marriage for heterosexual couples, since many churches will marry same-sex couples.

Your proposal is a complicated path to accomplishing nothing. Meanwhile, nine states recognize marriage equality. That is more than recognize civil unions and domestic partnerships combined.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#152 Dec 25, 2012
UR BS wrote:
Merry Christmas to all here, weather we agree or not.
Especially on how to spell "whether".

Schauerberg, Germany

#153 Dec 26, 2012
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Especially on how to spell "whether".
Typical libtard response.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News YouTube Given Permission to Show Anti-Islam Movie May 20 Mikey 5
News Guam gay marriage case won't wait for US high c... May 8 Robin Hood 1
News Santa Cruz Nazi salute civil rights suit winds ... Apr 28 to a Pedantic Blo... 38
News High Courts To Consider Lawsuits Over Personal ... Apr 27 goonsquad 1
News Bonds' obstruction conviction thrown out by app... Apr 24 Cordwainer Trout 2
News Judge returns ultra-rich club founder Tim Blixs... Apr '15 Sterkfontein Swar... 2
News Guam attorney general orders gay marriage to mo... Apr '15 okimar 3
More from around the web