San Francisco gay marriage case goes to federal appeals court in September

May 23, 2012 Full story: Inside Bay Area 29

A federal appeals court will hear arguments in September in a legal challenge to the federal ban on same-sex marriage benefits.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Jan 12

New Port Richey, FL

#1 May 23, 2012
Yep congress is going to dance around the applet courts hopping Romney wins so the defense department defends it

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#2 May 23, 2012
DOMA is as stupid as DODT and all the other anti-human nonsense passed by religious zealots. It's a religious law and has no place in the US.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#3 May 23, 2012
Delay, delay, delay, delay.......

Yet another DOMA case on the slow track to the SCOTUS.

We STILL haven't got a decision from the 9th circuit on Prop 8.

Delay, delay, delay......

We need a constitutional amendment requiring all court decisions within 90 days from when the court gets the case. That way the longest a case could take to go from the trial court to a final SCOTUS decision would be 1 year, instead of the current 5-10 years.

Since: Jan 12

New Port Richey, FL

#4 May 23, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
We need a constitutional amendment requiring all court decisions within 90 days from when the court gets the case. That way the longest a case could take to go from the trial court to a final SCOTUS decision would be 1 year, instead of the current 5-10 years.
Its not being done that way by accident, the evil republicans have there dirty little hands all over it

“IT'S TIME TO ELIMINATE”

Since: Mar 11

PROP 8 AND DOMA!!!

#5 May 23, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
Yes, more delays.....but the end result will probably be in our favor.......patience is a virtue and one we all need to strive for.......and trust me.....this is just as hard on my wife and I as it is on anyone else......in fact we are considering filing a suit to join the DOMA lawsuit because of issues that personally affected us this last tax year.

“ WOOF !”

Since: Oct 10

Coolidge, AZ

#6 May 23, 2012
RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, more delays.....but the end result will probably be in our favor.......patience is a virtue and one we all need to strive for.......and trust me.....this is just as hard on my wife and I as it is on anyone else......in fact we are considering filing a suit to join the DOMA lawsuit because of issues that personally affected us this last tax year.
and in the long run, we're all dead.

“IT'S TIME TO ELIMINATE”

PROP 8 AND DOMA!!!

#7 May 23, 2012
FaFoxy wrote:
<quoted text>
and in the long run, we're all dead.
In my opinion both DOMA and Prop 8 will be resolved sometime in the next 3 years, probably sooner on Prop 8......but these things take time and I don't plan on dying anytime soon!!!

“ WOOF !”

Coolidge, AZ

#8 May 23, 2012
RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
In my opinion both DOMA and Prop 8 will be resolved sometime in the next 3 years, probably sooner on Prop 8......but these things take time and I don't plan on dying anytime soon!!!
MOST people usually don't plan on dying soon.

Tawas City, Michigan

#9 May 23, 2012
RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well my patience is definitely running out. If I thought these endless delays were because the courts wanted to ensure they get the right decision, then I could almost accept that. But it's obvious these cases are being slow tracked for political considerations.

We pay these people's salaries and lifetime 100% retirement pay & benefits. I understand the reasoning behind their retirement pay and lifetime appointments, but we still need to put limitations on them. And the only way to do that is through a constitutional amendment.

Maybe that'll give me something to work on while we wait for years & years & years for them to get off their lazy butts and make a damn decision already!
Bringmedinner

San Jose, CA

#10 May 23, 2012
If the gay attorneys would simply and honestly portray their positions as the terrorists they have been, the justices wouldn't be so careful and would recriminalize homosexual behavior tomorrow.

“IT'S TIME TO ELIMINATE”

PROP 8 AND DOMA!!!

#11 May 23, 2012
Bringmedinner wrote:
If the gay attorneys would simply and honestly portray their positions as the terrorists they have been, the justices wouldn't be so careful and would recriminalize homosexual behavior tomorrow.
Kindly STFU, the adults are having a discussion!!!
Latter Day Taints

Souderton, PA

#12 May 23, 2012
RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
That deeply racist pedo does not deserve a considered reply.

And look what your effort got right back from the racist pedo in response.
Latter Day Taints

Souderton, PA

#14 May 23, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
We need a constitutional amendment requiring all court decisions within 90 days....
That's the nuttiest thing I've read all day.

“IT'S TIME TO ELIMINATE”

PROP 8 AND DOMA!!!

#15 May 23, 2012
Latter Day Taints wrote:
<quoted text>
That deeply racist pedo does not deserve a considered reply.
And look what your effort got right back from the racist pedo in response.
I know......that's why I really try to ignore the idiot......I mean Daniel P from Long Island may have changed his nic, but he's still pathetic!!!

Tawas City, Michigan

#16 May 24, 2012
Latter Day Taints wrote:
<quoted text>
That's the nuttiest thing I've read all day.
Why?

They work for US, not the other way around. There is simply no reason to take 3 months just to decide whether or not to review a ruling. They can hire as many assistants & law clerks as they need to get the job done. There is simply no reason for cases to take 10 years just to get to the SCOTUS.

They're just stalling because they CAN. I don't think judges should be subject to elections, but we need to have SOME limits on them to make sure they're actually working for WE THE PEOPLE.
Mitts Gold Plated Tablets

Souderton, PA

#17 May 24, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Why?
They work for US....
You don't know the first thing about the workload involved in complex cases. Your cookie cutter solution is ridiculous and reductive.

But to take a specific example, there might be an appeal at an upper court which needs to be held for legal reasons, say, if there were several contrasting rulings in lower courts, or if contrasting rulings from lower courts were known to be working their way up the food chain.

You know, like all the DOMA, equal protection and the Prop 8 cases are....

Tawas City, Michigan

#18 May 24, 2012
Mitts Gold Plated Tablets wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't know the first thing about the workload involved in complex cases. Your cookie cutter solution is ridiculous and reductive.
But to take a specific example, there might be an appeal at an upper court which needs to be held for legal reasons, say, if there were several contrasting rulings in lower courts, or if contrasting rulings from lower courts were known to be working their way up the food chain.
You know, like all the DOMA, equal protection and the Prop 8 cases are....
They can hire however many law clerks and other lackies they need. No case is so complex that it should take longer than 3 months from trial to a ruling. The California Supreme Court has a self-imposed 90 day deadline to issue rulings, so obviously it CAN be done.

Waiting for other cases is just another delaying tactic. Hell, then they could just wait for 10-20-30 years because another case might be coming up somewhere. They wouldn't even have to hear any cases at all, just put them all on indefinite hold and then the justices could spend all year on taxpayer funded vacation!

“ WOOF !”

Coolidge, AZ

#19 May 24, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
They can hire however many law clerks and other lackies they need. No case is so complex that it should take longer than 3 months from trial to a ruling. The California Supreme Court has a self-imposed 90 day deadline to issue rulings, so obviously it CAN be done.
Waiting for other cases is just another delaying tactic. Hell, then they could just wait for 10-20-30 years because another case might be coming up somewhere. They wouldn't even have to hear any cases at all, just put them all on indefinite hold and then the justices could spend all year on taxpayer funded vacation!
I've read a few books about SCOTUS and the hsitroy of SCOTUS. Actually, nowadays MOST of the real legal work is done by the justices' law clerks. They pick out the cases to be considered, research the case and the law, and write the opinions. Everything they do is then sent to their justice to read and comment on and revise if needed.

And despite the title of "clerk", these people are tops in the most presitgious law schools in the U.S.

Tawas City, Michigan

#20 May 24, 2012
FaFoxy wrote:
<quoted text>
I've read a few books about SCOTUS and the hsitroy of SCOTUS. Actually, nowadays MOST of the real legal work is done by the justices' law clerks. They pick out the cases to be considered, research the case and the law, and write the opinions. Everything they do is then sent to their justice to read and comment on and revise if needed.
And despite the title of "clerk", these people are tops in the most presitgious law schools in the U.S.
Like I said, it's not like the justices actually do anything.

Time for a consitutional amendment requiring a 3 month limit on all cases from trial to ruling; 1 year max from trial court to final SCOTUS ruling.

“ WOOF !”

Coolidge, AZ

#21 May 24, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Like I said, it's not like the justices actually do anything.
Time for a consitutional amendment requiring a 3 month limit on all cases from trial to ruling; 1 year max from trial court to final SCOTUS ruling.
Dream on.

How about before amending it, we actually get people to FOLLOW WHAT'S THERE ALREADY ???!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sea Shepherd 'in contempt of US court' Fri Your Ex 1
US court reconsiders order to have YouTube remo... Fri barefoot2626 42
Immigrants Closer to Driver's Licenses in Arizona Fri Guess Who 1
Immigrants closer to driver's licenses in Arizona Fri Guess Who 10
Young immigrants allowed to get driver's licenses Thu OId Sailor 1
Supreme Court Justices reject Arizona bid over ... Dec 16 Sterkfontein Swar... 3
Couples Anxious to Grab First Idaho Same-Sex Ma... Dec 11 The Real Zeke 33
More from around the web