Accused Tucson shooter loses appeal o...

Accused Tucson shooter loses appeal over forced medication

There are 7 comments on the Reuters story from Mar 5, 2012, titled Accused Tucson shooter loses appeal over forced medication. In it, Reuters reports that:

Tuscon shooting rampage suspect Jared Lee Loughner is pictured in this undated booking photograph released by the U.S. Marshals Service on February 22, 2011.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Reuters.

Olympic Snow

Germany

#1 Mar 5, 2012
No surprise. The Liberals want him drugged so they can say he is delusional when he starts giving up names of the libs who set him up.

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#2 Mar 5, 2012
Olympic Snow wrote:
No surprise. The Liberals want him drugged so they can say he is delusional when he starts giving up names of the libs who set him up.
That is an incredibly cynical and outright insane suggestion.

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#3 Mar 5, 2012
I disagree with medicating him. What purpose does this serve at this point? There has been no trial.

Do the trial, if he is found guilty, THEN medicate him if you want him to recognize his murderous actions.

If he can't sit still or be quiet in a court room, move him while the trial takes place.

So far, while I can hardly stand to type this, he is an innocent man being forcibly drugged by government.

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#4 Mar 5, 2012
Rotrow wrote:
I disagree with medicating him. What purpose does this serve at this point? There has been no trial.
Do the trial, if he is found guilty, THEN medicate him if you want him to recognize his murderous actions.
If he can't sit still or be quiet in a court room, move him while the trial takes place.
So far, while I can hardly stand to type this, he is an innocent man being forcibly drugged by government.
Well, so far he has been found incompetent to stand trial--generally based on capability to understand charges and assist in his own defense. The forced medication is aimed at making him competent to stand trial.

Apparently one issue (apparently the justification for his legal team to resist medication) is that his defense is likely to enter a plea of not guilty by reason of insanity. Presenting a client who has been medicated back into sanity is not helpful to what they want the court to see.

While I also cringe at the thought of enforced meds, I have seen too much of the reality of illnesses that remove rationality. To assume that an irrational person can make a rational choice regarding medication leads to some very bad places. Most don't kill a lot of people. However, walking around with voices in your head does not contribute much to quality of life, or the ability to care for one's self.

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#5 Mar 5, 2012
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, so far he has been found incompetent to stand trial--generally based on capability to understand charges and assist in his own defense. The forced medication is aimed at making him competent to stand trial.
Apparently one issue (apparently the justification for his legal team to resist medication) is that his defense is likely to enter a plea of not guilty by reason of insanity. Presenting a client who has been medicated back into sanity is not helpful to what they want the court to see.
While I also cringe at the thought of enforced meds, I have seen too much of the reality of illnesses that remove rationality. To assume that an irrational person can make a rational choice regarding medication leads to some very bad places. Most don't kill a lot of people. However, walking around with voices in your head does not contribute much to quality of life, or the ability to care for one's self.
After a year it seems he has become a guinea pig. And he's still not proven guilty.

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#6 Mar 5, 2012
Rotrow wrote:
<quoted text>
After a year it seems he has become a guinea pig. And he's still not proven guilty.
Well, it's not quite like it is on Law and Order, where they arrest him today and give a few doses before the court hearing and bingo, the guy is competent.

I don't know that I would consider him a guinea pig--at least no more than anyone else receiving meds of a mental disorder. Sad to say, neither diagnosis nor treatment is quite so specific as say, strep throat or something that can be confirmed with a test and responds predictably to a fairly narrow range of meds with and easily defined dosage.

There is a lot of trial and error in getting it all right.

Sounds like the guy is getting some therapy in addition--much harder to mandate.

FaFoxy

“ WOOF !”

Since: Oct 10

Coolidge, AZ

#8 Mar 6, 2012
Mayor Jonny Porkchild wrote:
DEATH PENALTY for all murderers!
You mean like The Obamaniac who just had his A.G. on tv defending him for killing Americans he doesn't like without even so much as a formal accusation, much less a trial ?

Ya mean that guy ???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Another Second Amendment Appeal Shot-Down by th... Mar 25 Say What 3
News Judges shouldn't ignore what we all know Trump'... Mar 23 Dee Dee Dee 3
News Trump vows to appeal against travel ban ruling ... Mar 19 GOFIGURE 14
News The Latest: Government calls ruling flawed, vow... Mar 16 Retribution 11
News Trump travel ban faces key test in multiple cou... Mar 16 CodeTalker 8
News Fact-checking Donald Trump's Nashville rally Mar 15 Wildchild 1
News A look at the judges who will rule on Trump's t... Mar 14 o see the light 83
More from around the web