California ban on gay marriage ruled ...

California ban on gay marriage ruled unconstitutional by federal appeals panel

There are 3 comments on the LA Daily News story from Feb 8, 2012, titled California ban on gay marriage ruled unconstitutional by federal appeals panel. In it, LA Daily News reports that:

A federal appeals panel in San Francisco ruled Tuesday that California's Proposition 8 - banning same-sex marriage - is unconstitutional, a decision that could lead to the Supreme Court's consideration of the controversial social issue.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at LA Daily News.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#1 Feb 8, 2012
This is my favorite part:

" ... through the Proponents of Ballot Measures, the People of California must be allowed to defend in Federal Courts, including on Appeal, the validity of their use of the Initiative power. Here, however, their defense fails on the merits. The People may not employ the Initiative power to single out a disfavored group for unequal treatment and strip them, without a legitimate justification, of a right as important as the Right to marry. Accordingly, we affirm the Judgment of the District Court ... "

Since: Jan 12

New Port Richey, FL

#2 Feb 8, 2012
snyper wrote:
This is my favorite part:
" ... through the Proponents of Ballot Measures, the People of California must be allowed to defend in Federal Courts, including on Appeal, the validity of their use of the Initiative power. Here, however, their defense fails on the merits. The People may not employ the Initiative power to single out a disfavored group for unequal treatment and strip them, without a legitimate justification, of a right as important as the Right to marry. Accordingly, we affirm the Judgment of the District Court ... "
Mine is

"Proposition 8 serves no purpose, and has no effect, other than to lessen the status and human dignity of gays and lesbians in California and to officially reclassify their relationships and families as inferior to those of opposite-sex couples,"
Frank Stanton

Omaha, NE

#3 Feb 8, 2012
mine is

"- "By emphasizing Proposition 8's limited effect, we do not mean to minimize the harm that this change in the law caused to same-sex couples and their families. To the contrary, we emphasize the extraordinary significance of the official designation of 'marriage.' That designation is important because 'marriage' is the name that society gives to the relationship that matters most between two adults. A rose by any other name may smell as sweet, but to the couple desiring to enter into a committed lifelong relationship, a marriage by the name of 'registered domestic partnership' does not."

to say that ameriKKa and it's hateful, ignorant, christian terrorist mineon don't want to erradicate glbt people is a lie. pathetic ameriKKKa, show your true face! wear your history proudly! pathetic.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Court upholds racial profiling injunction on Ar... 2 hr Sunlight 2
News Illegal alien allegedly assaults 14-year-old girl Jul 26 tomin cali 1
News DOJ Blasted for Timing of News Story on Immigra... Jul 25 janetpatriot 3
News Lesbian couple in gay marriage case prepares fo... (Mar '13) Jul 15 darwin 1,580
News Federal appeals court revives sex-reassignment ... Jun '15 TerryE 6
News Federal court to rehear concealed weapons cases Jun '15 Truth and Facts 9
News If Not Lethal Injection, Then What? Jun '15 OId Sailor 1
More from around the web