Medtronic to settle Sprint Fidelis su...

Medtronic to settle Sprint Fidelis suits for $268 million

There are 35 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Oct 13, 2010, titled Medtronic to settle Sprint Fidelis suits for $268 million. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Medtronic says it has agreed to pay $268 million to settle U.S. lawsuits and claims related to its Sprint Fidelis family of defibrillation leads which it recalled three years ago.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#21 Nov 1, 2011
Monika wrote:
<quoted text>
Neither (please note I spelled it correctly) TWO questions and TWO only: DO YOU HAVE THE ICD AND A RECALLED LEAD IN YOUR CHEST? Answer truthfully.
No, I do not. I have knowledge of the issue because I have some connections to Metronics Corporate offices. My Spelling of Niether is a my specific memorial to a very good friend who spent years tryng to make me a liberal (English Professor)
Hotrod

Baytown, TX

#22 Nov 28, 2011
Sooooo payout is supposed to be early Dec this year (2011) and we have yet to receive the decision on what tears we will receive.... Hmmmmmm Sounds like ANOTHER extension on the way.
to the medtronics suck up

AOL

#23 Nov 28, 2011
Niether of the Above wrote:
<quoted text>No, I do not. I have knowledge of the issue because I have some connections to Metronics Corporate offices. My Spelling of Niether is a my specific memorial to a very good friend who spent years tryng to make me a liberal (English Professor)
You actually made me laugh out loud. You really have no idea with WHOM you correspond with. You know nothing about me. Answer my question. Do you have the ICD and/or do you have a recalled lead in your chest with the potential of fracturing. I could care less who your friends are. Your inferrence that I am involved in this lawsuit because I'm a liberal dumb ass is laughable! Seriously wish you had a clue. Now just answer the question. Do you have the recalled lead in your chest or what or are you a kiss ass to your Medtronics Corporate office friend?????? HMMMMMMM???
To Neither of the Above

AOL

#24 Nov 28, 2011
You do not have the recalled lead but are basing your information on a Medtronics Corporate Officer/ie Egnlish professor. You know now what you talk about so unless and until you have something working in your chest that can kill you at any second OR have already gone Code Blue (can I tell you about my "trip) or had surgeries to replace the lead.... I have no interest in your opinion. I have no vested interest other then MY LIFE. What's your profit margin?

Location hidden

#25 Nov 29, 2011
To Neither of the Above wrote:
You do not have the recalled lead but are basing your information on a Medtronics Corporate Officer/ie Egnlish professor. You know now what you talk about so unless and until you have something working in your chest that can kill you at any second OR have already gone Code Blue (can I tell you about my "trip) or had surgeries to replace the lead.... I have no interest in your opinion. I have no vested interest other then MY LIFE. What's your profit margin?
The nice thing about living in the United States of America and having forums like this is, that it matters not what you think of my position or what I think of yours! Because I didn't Play major league baseball I have no knowledge of the game??? My contacts with Medtronics go farther than I will explain to you, but suffice to say, what I know and how I know it is none of your business. Another nice thing about living in America is you can sue whomever you wish to recover damages if you feel you were damaged, So sue, I don't have to like nor condone it and why would you care? What a stupid comment to make on an opinion forum!
Hotrod

Baytown, TX

#26 Dec 7, 2011
Sooooooooooooo Finally got payout offer today. It may be a stupid low offer for the amount of crap I have gone through because of this but its better than 0. Luckily the unit they replaced it with is reading incorrectly also.. Three units installed and three units gone bad. Awesome luck thus far with the high quality medtronics.
To Neither of the Above

AOL

#27 Dec 8, 2011
<quoted text>The nice thing about living in the United States of America and having forums like this is, that it matters not what you think of my position or what I think of yours! Because I didn't Play major league baseball I have no knowledge of the game??? My contacts with Medtronics go farther than I will explain to you, but suffice to say, what I know and how I know it is none of your business. Another nice thing about living in America is you can sue whomever you wish to recover damages if you feel you were damaged, So sue, I don't have to like nor condone it and why would you care? What a stupid comment to make on an opinion forum!
Kind sir/madam it is a wonderful thing to live in America and have forums such as this. That said, you may know Medtronics but you have no clue what it is to live with a time bomb ultimately sent off (and all I got was a t-shirt... no make that the defibrillator pads that brought me back to life) so therefore your opinion means nothing to me because you cannot possibly know what it is like. I use the following statement that was said to me. It is like someone losing a child you cannot possibly know what the parent is going through unless you yourself lost one. The person that said that to me was the cardiac rehabilitation nurse that had lost her son. I could not possibly go to an open forum for grieving parents as I would not have a clue how deep their pain must be. That's why I feel you cannot possibly be empathetic with any of the posters on this forum so you should recuse yourself from the forum because kind sir/madam you cannot possibly know what it is like. Merry CHRISTmas to you and yours. I pray you have a lovely, happy and HEALTHY Christmas season.

Location hidden

#28 Dec 8, 2011
To Neither of the Above wrote:
<quoted text>
Kind sir/madam it is a wonderful thing to live in America and have forums such as this. That said, you may know Medtronics but you have no clue what it is to live with a time bomb ultimately sent off (and all I got was a t-shirt... no make that the defibrillator pads that brought me back to life) so therefore your opinion means nothing to me because you cannot possibly know what it is like. I use the following statement that was said to me. It is like someone losing a child you cannot possibly know what the parent is going through unless you yourself lost one. The person that said that to me was the cardiac rehabilitation nurse that had lost her son. I could not possibly go to an open forum for grieving parents as I would not have a clue how deep their pain must be. That's why I feel you cannot possibly be empathetic with any of the posters on this forum so you should recuse yourself from the forum because kind sir/madam you cannot possibly know what it is like. Merry CHRISTmas to you and yours. I pray you have a lovely, happy and HEALTHY Christmas season.
Two years in the jungles of SE Asia, never knowing where a bullet was coming from, never knowing if your next step is your last. Watching your best friend take a bullet to the head, six inches from where you sit! Merry Christmas to you as well.
To Neither of the Above

AOL

#29 Dec 8, 2011
<quoted text>Two years in the jungles of SE Asia, never knowing where a bullet was coming from, never knowing if your next step is your last. Watching your best friend take a bullet to the head, six inches from where you sit! Merry Christmas to you as well.
I see.......... Vietnam. Have, well actually HAD a friend that survived an obliteration of six fellow GI's that were "brothers". He lived with survivors guilt and ultimately died of lung cancer. He refused treatment. He NEVER got over the loss of his friends and I think he thought he deserved to die. Nor can I possibly understand why my brother in law a sea bee's in the Navy still has nightmares and speaks vietnamese and wake up in a sweat 40+ years later. When my sister questions him he doesn't recall even knowing the Vietnamese language.

As I stated before I cannot comprehend what my friend, my brother in law nor YOU went through. So, you cannot possibly empathize with me when the lead fractured and the doctor was praying over me because I was "going down" when they were wheeling me from telemetry to ICU. Recall being wheeled into ICU and the Code Blue team in there after they had already slapped the defibrillator pads and I asked them WHY they said just as a precaution. I remember a woman in a yellow t shirt saying what are we doing here. Dr. said "give it a minute". Last thing I remember was giving her my sisters phone number, hearing the dr tell my sister we moved her to the unit then going from life to nothingness and coming to being held down while they cut open my neck on the right side WITHOUT ANESTHESIA and shoving a temporary lead to my heart. The pain was so intense YOU cannot comprehend... but that was only the first of two surgical procedures without benefit of anesthesia I endured being the actual surgery to replace the lead.

I cannot understand what you saw. You cannot understand that I DIED and knew I was going down several minutes before it happened nor the unbelievable pain of something that should never have happened to begin with. That is why I would not post on an open forum for SE Asia survivors guilt open forum and I still do not believe you should be posting because you cannot possibly understand what I went through nor other "survivors" or the families that remain after losing a family member.

I'm sorry MY FRIEND. And truly, wish you the best. I just want to live. We could probably be friends on a depression open forum. We both have memories that no one should have to live with.
Richard

Honolulu, HI

#30 Dec 28, 2011
I was told by my lawyer that I'm in category 3 for payment, anyone know what that means and how much that pay.
robert powell

Pasadena, TX

#31 Jan 15, 2012
I was told i needed this device was told after it was implanted that it was recalled then it hit me eight times one day for no reason i made them shut it off they told me the device was fine. That it was doing its job. Not true my new doctor tells me i didnt even need it .now they say they dont have to pay me. Thats bullsh#% and my attorney agreed with them . I think the attorneys are being paid off so they can screw the little guys i hope they all rot in hell and maybe they should have one of their defective devices implanted in their asses
lILSPITFIR

Dickson, TN

#32 Feb 22, 2012
TBONE wrote:
Metronic shold be held liabile for there defective product. Anyone that defends this company is just plain stupit. The problem is that they should have paid out more than 268 billion. This should have been a 1 Billion settlement. As for the lawyers they should not get more than the indivuals that are affected by it. They are already getting a chunck of the 268 million. There should be not other fees for personal service. They are also greedy. Once I do find out What I will get and find out the lawyer fees from my award. I will contect it.
This lawyers are being paid 5 million dollars from Medtronic.If I were everyone in this lawsuit including myself set back and se what they offer us and fight like hell.They fail to tell us that evertime this things (we were told it was firing when it went off) that it weakens the heart muscles.
Liz

Sacramento, CA

#33 May 2, 2012
I am not privy to the settlement disbursement, but I am sure the Lawyers took home more than those affected by the alleged wire issues.
I work for a law firm that does cases like these and I just want to say that if it weren't for them, the people who were injured by these defective devices would never see a penny at all. Yes, there are greedy lawyers in the world, but the majority of personal injury lawyers pay all up front costs out of their own pockets - including very expensive experts, court fees, medical records, etc - just to keep these lawsuits moving. The lawsuits take years to complete, and by the end of it, yes, they have to take a large share just to reimburse their expenses and pay their bills. Considering we need them to keep these corporations accountable, I'd say they're entitled to a fair share of the reward.

Location hidden

#34 May 3, 2012
Liz wrote:
<quoted text>
I work for a law firm that does cases like these and I just want to say that if it weren't for them, the people who were injured by these defective devices would never see a penny at all. Yes, there are greedy lawyers in the world, but the majority of personal injury lawyers pay all up front costs out of their own pockets - including very expensive experts, court fees, medical records, etc - just to keep these lawsuits moving. The lawsuits take years to complete, and by the end of it, yes, they have to take a large share just to reimburse their expenses and pay their bills. Considering we need them to keep these corporations accountable, I'd say they're entitled to a fair share of the reward.
Well Liz: I totally disagree with you and the law firm you may or may not work for. I don't believe it needs to take years, tort reform is the biggest item that has been ignored by the past 10 Administrations, because most who serve in Washington, be it in Government or Congress, are lawyers, who have no desire to cook the golden goose!! If it was "all about" the defendant, and the lawyers actually believed that, these suits would be settled much quicker. I have no issue with the suits, but the law firms, I have some strong issues with.
Richard

United States

#35 May 13, 2012
I called my lawyer yesterday, she said "they still working on the amount, and it should be couple of weeks". She said same thing back in January, March and now on May.

I think they are full of it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Moving you up to our level Jun 24 lowiqbigots 1
News Federal Court Blocks One Of The Harshest Aborti... May '15 cpeter1313 1
News 8th Circuit Court of Appeals defers gay marriag... May '15 Wall 25
News Court puts Nebraska same-sex marriages on hold Mar '15 Cordwainer Trout 5
News Appeals court allows Nebraska gay marriage ban ... Mar '15 WeTheSheeple 9
News Federal judge blocks Nebraska's gay marriage ban Mar '15 WeTheSheeple 5
News Attorney asks SD judge to allow gay marriages i... Feb '15 Rick in Kansas 1
More from around the web