Medtronic to settle Sprint Fidelis suits for $268 million

Full story: TwinCities.com

Medtronic says it has agreed to pay $268 million to settle U.S. lawsuits and claims related to its Sprint Fidelis family of defibrillation leads which it recalled three years ago.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of35
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2010

Judged:

I am not privy to the settlement disbursement, but I am sure the Lawyers took home more than those affected by the alleged wire issues.
Nancy

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2010

Judged:

Oh, how I hope this part of the nightmare is over, but how do you ever get over the fear of a reoccurrance? My husband was shocked 30 or more times and had to undergo surgery to replace the lead and device 24 hours later. Although this happened in September 2008, he and I live in fear that it will reoccur. The psycharist we met with says we have classic PTSD. We live with the constant reminder with a monitor next to the bed. We thought this device was his insurance policy and instead it nearly killed him. He wishes he had never had it implanted and that he would rather die than ever experience the shocking again. I hope that this will compensate to some degree all of those people who have been injured. NO AMOUNT OF MONEY WILL EVER ERASE THE PAIN AND FEAR!!! This must teach these medical device makers that they must make sure their products are safe before they sell them to the public. Had they done this there would be far fewer than 8100 people injured or dead from the lead.
The real - NICE

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2010

Judged:

The way I figure it, some get approx 28000, and others get about 45000. But don't forget these do not include the payouts to the lawyers.
archie hawkins

Arkadelphia, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2010

Judged:

Yea , no thanks to these greedy ass american,it a drop in the bucket,and it still leaves people like me out in the cold,because those 8 thousdand had lawyers,and we could not afford one,so we are left to suffer with implants thats been recall by the very company that put this shit in ous.No im not afraid to say so,Metronic" you played you game at the right time and with the right greedy ass buzzards called lawyers.Hopefully congress will do something this upcoming year.We could never expect you dogs to do the right thing. Maybe prayers will be answered and the game that you played will come back to hunt you all stinking rotten corporate greedy dogs. Its not over bitches,believe that"
joanne james

Arkadelphia, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2010

Judged:

you all are bunch stinking ass greedy ass american dogs with only your pockets concernds.F You and your mamies grave too"
Bob Puckett

Snellville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2010

Judged:

Greedy? What if you had lived 2 1/2 years worried every day of being kicked by a 1200 lb horse and then when you least expect it, BAM, BAM, BAM and on and on. Greed plays no part, just do the right thing. I am just glad Medtronic stepped up and did something. Now maybe I can sleep at peace at night knowing the rest of my Dr. and Hospital bills can be paid.
Charles James

Overland Park, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2010

Judged:

I know how you feel but nasty words can not heel the pain and suffering. I also have been shock over a hundred and plus times. some of us have loss a love one and no matter how much money they give us it will not bring back our love ones, it will not heel the pain. So the nasty words are not going to make things better, one thing for sure God will take care of this matter. also it did not cost anything to file. they had lawyers out there who was asking to take your case, because I didn't have to pay nothing out of my pocket. I was told from the lawyer, we get paid when you get paid. So lets not down the lawyers. because they did fight for us to get something out of the deal.
Risk is a fact of life

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2010

Nancy wrote:
Oh, how I hope this part of the nightmare is over, but how do you ever get over the fear of a reoccurrance? My husband was shocked 30 or more times and had to undergo surgery to replace the lead and device 24 hours later. Although this happened in September 2008, he and I live in fear that it will reoccur. The psycharist we met with says we have classic PTSD. We live with the constant reminder with a monitor next to the bed. We thought this device was his insurance policy and instead it nearly killed him. He wishes he had never had it implanted and that he would rather die than ever experience the shocking again. I hope that this will compensate to some degree all of those people who have been injured. NO AMOUNT OF MONEY WILL EVER ERASE THE PAIN AND FEAR!!! This must teach these medical device makers that they must make sure their products are safe before they sell them to the public. Had they done this there would be far fewer than 8100 people injured or dead from the lead.
Everyone needs to be aware of the risk of ANY medical device OR other therapy because everything has a risk. These leads that failed were manmade and EVERYTHING manmade CAN AND WILL FAIL be it drugs/devices/surgery/radiatio n/etc etc!

Everything does not fail but a percentage WILL FAIL!

I listened to a woman with an implanted defibulator who had been shocked by the device over a thousand times and was very happy to have her life saved by the device.

The shock is not comfortable but she thought better than the alternative.

As many people say life is full of choices, you best think about therapy alternatives BEFORE you need to decide what therapy you want!

ALL therapy will save some lives but all lives will not be saved by some therapy.

PS, most therapy is somewhat uncomfortable and risky.
larry m

Calabash, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2011

it's all well and good to lnow this matter has been settled, but whe will the monies be disbursed? It seems to me the lawyers can't stop fighting long enough to disburse the money to the claimants.
joe

Lisle, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2011

you get not cash money!!!you have to pay back your
insurance company or medicare for the replacement.
so you get zip!!!!
Monika Barkley

Chapel Hill, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2011

Risk is a fact of life wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyone needs to be aware of the risk of ANY medical device OR other therapy because everything has a risk. These leads that failed were manmade and EVERYTHING manmade CAN AND WILL FAIL be it drugs/devices/surgery/radiatio n/etc etc!
Everything does not fail but a percentage WILL FAIL!
I listened to a woman with an implanted defibulator who had been shocked by the device over a thousand times and was very happy to have her life saved by the device.
The shock is not comfortable but she thought better than the alternative.
As many people say life is full of choices, you best think about therapy alternatives BEFORE you need to decide what therapy you want!
ALL therapy will save some lives but all lives will not be saved by some therapy.
PS, most therapy is somewhat uncomfortable and risky.
hmmmm, risk is a factor of life from Minneapolis, MN.... mayhaps you are employed by Medtronics? I went Code Blue and came out of it being held down on the bed with my neck being cut into WITHOUT ANESTHESIA, and a temporary pacemaker shoved to my heart. Risk is absolutely a factor... but Medtronics was aware of the potential risk of failure and notified doctors and hospitals in March of 2007. My surgery was 8/13/07 and I received the recall two months later. Fractured and Code Blue and two surgical procedures performed without anesthesia BEFORE they had the opportunity to change the lead in surgery. Oh, and did I neglect to say I spent three days in a psychiatric ward in 2009 because my doctors told me the lead that was on recall paced my heart 100% of the time and they didn't think I would survive to make it to the hospital in time to get the lead changed? Never have been depressed in my life.

So simple to just say Risk if a factor of life. Karma to you!

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2011

Monika Barkley wrote:
<quoted text>
hmmmm, risk is a factor of life from Minneapolis, MN.... mayhaps you are employed by Medtronics? I went Code Blue and came out of it being held down on the bed with my neck being cut into WITHOUT ANESTHESIA, and a temporary pacemaker shoved to my heart. Risk is absolutely a factor... but Medtronics was aware of the potential risk of failure and notified doctors and hospitals in March of 2007. My surgery was 8/13/07 and I received the recall two months later. Fractured and Code Blue and two surgical procedures performed without anesthesia BEFORE they had the opportunity to change the lead in surgery. Oh, and did I neglect to say I spent three days in a psychiatric ward in 2009 because my doctors told me the lead that was on recall paced my heart 100% of the time and they didn't think I would survive to make it to the hospital in time to get the lead changed? Never have been depressed in my life.
So simple to just say Risk if a factor of life. Karma to you!
So are you saying you should have taken the risk and therfore not have the pacemaker implanted? If Metronic warned people in March of 07 and you proceed with the implant in Aug of 07 you must have been made aware of the risk, Right?
TBONE

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2011

Metronic shold be held liabile for there defective product. Anyone that defends this company is just plain stupit. The problem is that they should have paid out more than 268 billion. This should have been a 1 Billion settlement. As for the lawyers they should not get more than the indivuals that are affected by it. They are already getting a chunck of the 268 million. There should be not other fees for personal service. They are also greedy. Once I do find out What I will get and find out the lawyer fees from my award. I will contect it.
TBONE

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2011

To the person who say we will get noting that is not true. Ther will be fees deducted. but there is a cap on the amount that the insyrer will get plus the lawyers fee. You will get something
Monika

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2011

Niether of the Above wrote:
<quoted text>So are you saying you should have taken the risk and therfore not have the pacemaker implanted? If Metronic warned people in March of 07 and you proceed with the implant in Aug of 07 you must have been made aware of the risk, Right?
I was absolutely NOT made aware of the risk of the lead. I had three leads implanted one of which was the one with the potential to fail far more then the other two leads. My heart is paced 100% of the time. The recalled lead was one of two which paced my heart and when the recalled lead failed I went code blue. Two days later they used a "tried and true" lead (verbatim word from the electrical physiologist). So, why wasn't this "tried and true" lead not implanted in the August 07 lead. I am thankful for Medtronics and this device. I just do not appreciate that Medtronics and physicians KNEW of the potential for failure five months prior to me having surgery and the lead went on recall two months after in Oct 2007.
Monika

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2011

<quoted text>So are you saying you should have taken the risk and therfore not have the pacemaker implanted? If Metronic warned people in March of 07 and you proceed with the implant in Aug of 07 you must have been made aware of the risk, Right?
AND may I add "Neither of the above" as a patient I was NOT informed of the potential risk of failure to the implanted lead. I was ONLY made aware of it in October of 2007 when the recall went national.
Monika

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2011

Charles James wrote:
I know how you feel but nasty words can not heel the pain and suffering. I also have been shock over a hundred and plus times. some of us have loss a love one and no matter how much money they give us it will not bring back our love ones, it will not heel the pain. So the nasty words are not going to make things better, one thing for sure God will take care of this matter. also it did not cost anything to file. they had lawyers out there who was asking to take your case, because I didn't have to pay nothing out of my pocket. I was told from the lawyer, we get paid when you get paid. So lets not down the lawyers. because they did fight for us to get something out of the deal.
Amen brother/friend
Monika

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2011

Neither (please note I spelled it correctly) TWO questions and TWO only: DO YOU HAVE THE ICD AND A RECALLED LEAD IN YOUR CHEST? Answer truthfully.
Junk Yard Dog

Mesquite, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 31, 2011

This will be over before Christmas
Junk Yard Dog

Mesquite, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 31, 2011

Time will tell. This will be over before Christmas

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of35
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••