Guns and justice

There are 106 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jun 7, 2009, titled Guns and justice. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Supporters of the Chicago ordinance prohibiting handguns may be forgiven for thinking that the 2nd Amendment may not be a problem after all.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
CampWoman

Schaumburg, IL

#105 Jun 29, 2009
Some Chicago cops can be down right evil. My finance trailed me home one time when I had car trouble and the sucker stalled cutting through a park (which was the quickest/least traffic way for me to get home). Two of the city's finest hopped out yelling at me to 'stay right there 'cuz you're getting a ticket'. Of course this by no means compares to what happened to your son, but I understand you don't have to do anything 'wrong' to get in trouble with CPD. Hope everything turned out okay for your son.
Harry

Suwanee, GA

#106 Jul 1, 2009
It's about time you stopped Blaming Gun owners and the Second Amendment for what gang members do on the street.

There are plenty of laws to try and convict gangs for what they do.

The question is and always has been; will the government use these laws already on the books to lock these degenerates up while respecting the right of the non-criminal population to keep and bear arms for personal defense?

ghost1776 dot blogspot dot c0m
Forever waiting

Lexington, KY

#107 Jul 2, 2009
cityboy1961 wrote:
<quoted text>
Some people, especially young people, don't always know their rights when it comes to traffic stops. Some police will often make their own case to pull someone over. Some police will convince some people to allow them to search their vehicles. Without probable cause, they have no legal right to search your car, but scared motorists will often relent, thinking they are doing the right thing. If you're pulled over for a minor violation, you don't have to allow them to search your car.
No you don't have to but then you have to wait while they bring out a canine unit who will then search the outside of your vehicle. I it alerts to anything then they have the right to search.
PTK

Berwyn, IL

#108 Jul 2, 2009
Forever waiting wrote:
<quoted text>No you don't have to but then you have to wait while they bring out a canine unit who will then search the outside of your vehicle. I it alerts to anything then they have the right to search.
Perhaps, but I've seen those expensive dogs alerting to food in so many situations its not even funny. The job of the dog is to alert the officer to something - it may be drugs or it may be something else. Its not proof positive that you have drugs on you or in your vehicle. In my case it will most likely be some beef jerky, LOL, at which point I'll have a good laugh.
broken

Springfield, IL

#109 Jul 2, 2009
Forever waiting wrote:
<quoted text>No you don't have to but then you have to wait while they bring out a canine unit who will then search the outside of your vehicle. I it alerts to anything then they have the right to search.
I think that they have to come within a certain period of time like 20 minutes or they have to cut you loose.
Christy

Waterloo, Canada

#110 Jan 20, 2010
My grandmother is Bertina Lampkin's right hand sheriff. And I've known this women for almost 20 years.

Her judgement among others is what she and A JURY feel is right. What others think of her and family of men/women she prosecutes get pissed bc she does her job the right way. Get over it. People who do wrong, should accept the consequences. And their families blame the law when their loved one messes up.

This woman is one of the first african american women to get as far as she has. She has dealt with some of chicago's toughest cases and deadliest criminals. I've seen first hand how strong of a woman she is in an "all male" environment.

Grow up! I bet all of you who have something negative to say about this woman, have done nothing with your life and sit behind a computer and talk crap. Fuck off

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Appeals Court Hears Indy Atheist Group's Demand... (Apr '13) Mar 27 Fallen Role Models 4
News Growing Trend: 2nd and 6th Circuits Join 7th in... Mar '18 Kasick of Pancakes 9
News Judge refuses to order school to suspend transg... Jan '18 BHM5267 60
News Republicans: 'Catholic bigotry' over Democrats ... Oct '17 mr gleeble 2
News Sexual orientation Title VII cases work way tow... (Aug '17) Sep '17 Rubio s Foam Partays 16
News DOJ asks to keep 'Making a Murderer' inmate loc... (Jun '17) Jun '17 CodeTalker 1
News Chicago court stays deportation of pizza worker... (May '17) May '17 Geezer 1