Judge: Anti-gay shirts worn by Neuqua Valley students OK

Mar 2, 2011 Full story: www.suntimes.com 465

Neuqua Valley High School students would be allowed to wear "Be Happy, Not Gay" T-shirts under a ruling Tuesday by the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.

Read more
First Prev
of 24
Next Last

“TMA&CRR One Love One Marriage ”

Since: Sep 09

port orange

#1 Mar 2, 2011
so would a shirt that said Be Smart Not Christan be allowed?

“Equality marches on! ”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#2 Mar 2, 2011
I wonder how "Not Black? Be Happy!" would fly?
tiqueboy

United States

#3 Mar 2, 2011
I wonder how a shirt that says "White is right" would last.

Very slippery slope...
Frank Stanton

New York, NY

#4 Mar 2, 2011
The above posters should have spent more time in school studying our RIGHTS to Freedom Of Speech, and Freedom Of The Press.
scout

San Francisco, CA

#5 Mar 2, 2011
Good.
Tom

London, UK

#6 Mar 2, 2011
God freedom of speech its there right.
Getflushed

Anonymous Proxy

#7 Mar 2, 2011
The outright theft of the word "gay" by sexual deviants is what is troubling. They insist now that every time the word is used, it's about them. Everything always is about them and that is the issue of psychology people must begin to understand: The nature of mental illness that redirects attention from the underlying issues of sexual perverts acting out their illnesses.
Young and FR33

Roanoke, VA

#8 Mar 2, 2011
There is a clear differance in the two shirts the school is reffering to.
The students wore shirts on the day of silence promoting bullying and harrasment of gay youth to stop.
The other students wore shirts being derogatory towards gays and lowering them compared to the rest of the school.

Their is freedom to critisize in speech but to be derrogatory is different. All hate speech should be prohibited.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#9 Mar 2, 2011
Young and FR33 wrote:
The students wore shirts on the day of silence promoting bullying and harrasment of gay youth to stop.
The other students wore shirts being derogatory towards gays and lowering them compared to the rest of the school.
Their is freedom to critisize in speech but to be derrogatory is different. All hate speech should be prohibited.
The answer to "hate speech" isn't to silence it, but to refute it. While I believe that the "Be Happy, Not Gay" t-shirts belong in the closet with the rest of these kid's bigotries, the law shouldn't force them there any more than it did us.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#10 Mar 2, 2011
Frank Stanton wrote:
The above posters should have spent more time in school studying our RIGHTS to Freedom Of Speech, and Freedom Of The Press.
We do not have complete freedom of speech in either the class room or the work place. The fact is that the t-shirt was not just a political statement: It was derogatory toward a particular group that was undoubtedly represented among the classmates. Derogatory comments are not generally approved in school or the work place.

Is it your contention, then, that a t-shirt proclaiming "Be beautiful, not black" should be welcomed by our schools? Would "Be free, not Christian" be okay?

Your comment suggested that the "Be Happy not Gay" is protected by free speech, but not the other slogans suggested by our fellow commentators.
Frank Stanton

New York, NY

#11 Mar 2, 2011
Young and FR33 wrote:
i HATE Democrats, Libs, and Obamaniac®.

:)
Young and FR33

Roanoke, VA

#12 Mar 2, 2011
Getflushed wrote:
The outright theft of the word "gay" by sexual deviants is what is troubling. They insist now that every time the word is used, it's about them. Everything always is about them and that is the issue of psychology people must begin to understand: The nature of mental illness that redirects attention from the underlying issues of sexual perverts acting out their illnesses.
Actually my happy loving "psychologist" the word gay was used by mainstream to describe a homosexual.(I take it your refering to homosexuals as "deviants") Homosexuals did not "steal" the word it was society at the time who used the word to describe us. We merely "adopted" it as acceptable term for us. But all words can be bad if there used in a derogatory way. Go back to school and learn about the context of language and then come back with your argument. plz & thank you =)
Frank Stanton

New York, NY

#13 Mar 2, 2011
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
We do not have complete freedom of speech in either the class room or the work place. The fact is that the t-shirt was not just a political statement: It was derogatory toward a particular group that was undoubtedly represented among the classmates. Derogatory comments are not generally approved in school or the work place.
Is it your contention, then, that a t-shirt proclaiming "Be beautiful, not black" should be welcomed by our schools? Would "Be free, not Christian" be okay?
Your comment suggested that the "Be Happy not Gay" is protected by free speech, but not the other slogans suggested by our fellow commentators.
You are COMPLETELY clueless about the RIGHT to "Freedom Of Speech". You obviously didn't pay attention in school either.

Back to 2nd grade civics with ya !
Sgt Common Sense

United States

#14 Mar 2, 2011
Getflushed wrote:
You're probably as gay as the day is long, right?(I mean that in the nicest possible way)
Young and FR33

Roanoke, VA

#15 Mar 2, 2011
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>The answer to "hate speech" isn't to silence it, but to refute it. While I believe that the "Be Happy, Not Gay" t-shirts belong in the closet with the rest of these kid's bigotries, the law shouldn't force them there any more than it did us.
Yes but what I am saying is you should not fight hate speech with more hate speech. It should not have to be silenced for it shouldn't be said.
Young and FR33

Roanoke, VA

#16 Mar 2, 2011
Frank Stanton wrote:
<quoted text>
i HATE Democrats, Libs, and Obamaniac®.
and why so hateful?
does it get you anywhere?
you may live your whole life hating these people and eventually your going to grow old and die with hate in your heart. its not a good way to go...

I hope you will seek help...:'(
Young and FR33

Roanoke, VA

#17 Mar 2, 2011
Frank Stanton wrote:
<quoted text>
You are COMPLETELY clueless about the RIGHT to "Freedom Of Speech". You obviously didn't pay attention in school either.
Back to 2nd grade civics with ya !
You are COMPLETELY clueless about the first amendment and all constitutional rights. We have those rights as long as we dont infringe on other people rights. Hate speech goes against the right of security from the government. Life liberty and THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS. I think its you who have to go back to school... you can sit in class with me!:D we can be buddies!!!!

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#18 Mar 2, 2011
Young and FR33 wrote:
Yes but what I am saying is you should not fight hate speech with more hate speech. It should not have to be silenced for it shouldn't be said.
I didn't advocate answering "hate speech" with "hate speech", I advocated its refutation. The answer to "hate speech" is its reasoned and rational refutation, not more "hate". I agree that it shouldn't be said in the first place, but that isn't the same as it being prohibited from being said, which is exactly what you called for in your first post.
Frank Stanton

New York, NY

#19 Mar 2, 2011
Young and FR33 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are COMPLETELY clueless about the first amendment and all constitutional rights. We have those rights as long as we dont infringe on other people rights. Hate speech goes against the right of security from the government. Life liberty and THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS. I think its you who have to go back to school... you can sit in class with me!:D we can be buddies!!!!
Thank you for showing your stupidity so publicly.

“Created Equal”

Since: Feb 08

USA

#20 Mar 2, 2011
I am increasingly of the opinion that all of the justices on the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals are self-hating closet cases.

Freedom of speech is one thing. Hate speech is not free speech.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 24
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Supreme Court lets strict Wisconsin voter ID la... Mar 23 OId Sailor 3
News Wisconsin opposes $1.2 million attorney fees in... Feb '15 wayner1 20
News Same-sex marriage advocate dies of cancer Feb '15 Gremlin 8
News Indiana woman who fought gay marriage ban dies ... Feb '15 nhjeff 6
News What if France had the Second Amendment? Jan '15 okimar 2
News High court case could foil government suits ove... Jan '15 Yes no yes maybe 1
News The Neiman Marcus Group LLC Urges Seventh Circu... Jan '15 adamsilber 1
More from around the web