Agent Orange hearing

Agent Orange hearing

There are 100 comments on the Newsday story from Jun 18, 2007, titled Agent Orange hearing. In it, Newsday reports that:

Today in Manhattan, a federal appeals court will hear oral arguments in lawsuits about the damage that plaintiffs say the herbicide Agent Orange did to American veterans and to Vietnamese citizens during the ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

BigFiji

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#65 Aug 1, 2011
emily ford wrote:
to find the map try panama 1977 web V A of the UnS .com. my husben was in panama too 2004 got cancer called T CELL he was in the army Thank you good luck emily
Emily I can't figure out what you are saying when you say try "panama 1977 web V A of the UnS.com " what exactly does that mean?
I don't know how to put it in the browser?
Can you or some who knows really explain please?
Some have mentioned to look here and there but no one has really provided a crystal clear website or name as to where to find the Agent Orange proof in Panama.
If you really know please help us with it.

Thanks
Denise

Sweetwater, TX

#66 Aug 18, 2011
My husband just died from esophageal cancer, had severe neuropathy and diabetes and was stationed in Panama in 1974-1976. Filed a claim in 2004 and was denied. Agent Orange was used all the time to defoliate and when they would all get sick they were given "cold packs." So how does a person prove this? He was 57 and you cannot tell me these health problems were random. He suffered for such a long time and I hope everyone that has health problems that were in Panama will speak up and maybe if enough do, someone will acknowledge the truth.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#67 Aug 26, 2011
Barb wrote:
My husband is trying to locate anyone who was in Panama at the same time that he was.His symptoms sound much like yours, Ranger Rupe. He has had progressive and rapid onset of Diabetes type 2,cardiac surgery following hypertension and a heart attack, peripheral neuropathy,renal failure soon to require dialysis, and this year, colon cancer.He is not yet 60 years of age. He was in Panama from 9/1971-2/1973 with the
US ARmy Military Police Unit 534 a Sp4 MP.He patrolled Ft.Clayton, Ft. Amador, Ft. Howard the surrounding jungles, the "flats", and reports being exposed to spraying of chemical agents daily.
If anyone cares to respond, please e-mail cmbarden@verizon.com (Plant City, Florida)
I was at Ft. Gulick during 1974 to 1975 as a 13 Bravo Artillery Engineer Primary MOS and Infantry 11 Charlie Secondary MOS.
I too am currently am suffering from Diabetes, Neuropathy, and other secondary diseases. I recall being ordered to spray the parameters of the barracks with Chemicals to control brushes and mosquitoes by hand pumps from the supply supply room and filling them with chemicals from 55 gallon drums. I filed a claim with the VA and have been denied and forwarded to the Appeals Board waiting a hearing. Their response is that the DOD claims they never used Agent Orange in Panama. If they never used AO in Panama than how is it that they have already awarded Mrs. Jones, a widow of the vet, compensation for death of her husband from exposure to Agent Orange. Any vet who is from Canal Zone Panama please lets help each other by joining forces and providing each other with any an all evidence of Agent Orange in Panama. Any vet who has been awarded compensation please let us know what was the evidence you provided to the VA for approval.
One born every minute

Englishtown, NJ

#69 Aug 27, 2011
BigFiji wrote:
<quoted text>
I was at Ft. Gulick during 1974 to 1975 as a 13 Bravo Artillery Engineer Primary MOS and Infantry 11 Charlie Secondary MOS.
I too am currently am suffering from Diabetes, Neuropathy, and other secondary diseases. I recall being ordered to spray the parameters of the barracks with Chemicals to control brushes and mosquitoes by hand pumps from the supply supply room and filling them with chemicals from 55 gallon drums. I filed a claim with the VA and have been denied and forwarded to the Appeals Board waiting a hearing. Their response is that the DOD claims they never used Agent Orange in Panama. If they never used AO in Panama than how is it that they have already awarded Mrs. Jones, a widow of the vet, compensation for death of her husband from exposure to Agent Orange. Any vet who is from Canal Zone Panama please lets help each other by joining forces and providing each other with any an all evidence of Agent Orange in Panama. Any vet who has been awarded compensation please let us know what was the evidence you provided to the VA for approval.
36 years later you have diabetes?? Gimme a break.

AO was pure BS to make millions for lawyers. They never even went to trial. They took the offer and ran.
John Cortest

Wichita, KS

#70 Oct 13, 2011
I was in the Air Force stationed at Howard AFB 1969-1970. I was all over the Canal Zone, Panama, Central and South America. 5 years ago I was diagnosed with type II Diabetes. My brother was also diagnosed with Type II Diabetes he was in the Air Force stationed in Utapao Tailand in 1966-1967, he and I are the only ones in our family with Diabetes. Last year my family Dr. discovered I had Pancreatic cancer, a week later I had a Whipple procedure to remove the tumor, it saved my life and the outcome so far is good.
I filed a disability claim with the VA last year and it was denied, the Military claimed there was no evidence AO was used in Panama and there is no evidence my Diabetes or Pancreatic cancer was cause by AO. So I am trying to decide what my next step will be. get a lawyer or continue on my own with a AM Vet advisor. Any suggestions?
Mary Mattison

AOL

#71 Oct 13, 2011
John Cortest wrote:
I was in the Air Force stationed at Howard AFB 1969-1970. I was all over the Canal Zone, Panama, Central and South America. 5 years ago I was diagnosed with type II Diabetes. My brother was also diagnosed with Type II Diabetes he was in the Air Force stationed in Utapao Tailand in 1966-1967, he and I are the only ones in our family with Diabetes. Last year my family Dr. discovered I had Pancreatic cancer, a week later I had a Whipple procedure to remove the tumor, it saved my life and the outcome so far is good.
I filed a disability claim with the VA last year and it was denied, the Military claimed there was no evidence AO was used in Panama and there is no evidence my Diabetes or Pancreatic cancer was cause by AO. So I am trying to decide what my next step will be. get a lawyer or continue on my own with a AM Vet advisor. Any suggestions?
My husband was at Bein Hoa Air Base 1968-69 and they did use AO a lot around the Base with it drifitng onto the Base where he worked in RED HORSE. He has has Pancreatic Cancer now for 3 yrs. 4 months (when diagnosed). I do not understand how they could make diabetes a presumptive condition and not consider pancreatic cancer. PC is so tough, so hard to survive. I am a diabetis, but not a Vet, but if I had served in Vam I would have received benifits without question. I've heard of many other Nam vets that have had PC ...some died looking for help. It needs to be looked into more!!!
BigFiji

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#72 Nov 3, 2011
This guy sounds like a very bitter person. Thanks for supporting your troops.
BigFiji

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#73 Nov 3, 2011
Sorry,

My comment was meant for "one Born Every Minute' from Riverhead, NY
Lawrence Reichelt

AOL

#74 Nov 19, 2011
I was in Panama from 1973 to 1974. In January 2011 I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. I am lucky, in that it is only stage 1 cancer. Other veterans stated that I could file a claim.

On the Web, the Board of Veterans Appeals (hereinafter "BVA"), as listed, by year, all adjudications for veterans who have filed claims for presumptive cancers and other diseases that are routinely granted for service in Vietnam.

90% of the Panama Canal cases are denied by the BVA Judge. All of the cases that were denied lacked evidence of causation by direct evidence. That is, "buddy" statements don't cut the mustard. Hearsay testimony from other hearings don't cut the mustard either because the Panama Canal Zone is a "rebuttable presumption" country.

Direct conclusive evidence is necessary. Such as, for example, signed notarized statements, deposition testimony, the testimony of "independent" eyewitnesses who are not friends of the veteran filing the claim. Expert testimony. If the drinking water was poisoned for Panama City, you can imagine the liability of the United States Government if Panama and the Panama Canal Zone was made into a "presumptive" country like Vietnam. 10% of the Claims appear to have won their cases. However, in my judgment, a new claimant cannot simply rely on what happened at some other hearing because of the current policy of our government. I have just started looking into this with a law enforcement, private investigative, and law clerk background. The person holding affirmative to the issue, such as a claim for benefits, has the burden of bringing to the Claims process evidence into the court proceeding -- VA Claims proceeding evidence to support the claim. There is no other way. I just spoke to a chemist. I am being told that the chemicals remain in the ground for generations.

Good luck with your claim.

In our government, nothing happens without appropriation by Congress, there may be testimony before sub-committees of Congress, there has to be the manufacture, purchase, transportation, use and supervision of use, prior claims that are all methods of investigation. Many people know of AO's use in Panama.

I believe that it is only a matter of time before Panama will become a presumptive location, as is currently Vietnam, for AO. It will take a lot of grut work to ferrit out the facts currently being concealed.

larryrchlt@aol.com

Send any info you have re: Evidence to this E Mail
Lawrence Reichelt

AOL

#75 Nov 19, 2011
Barb wrote:
My husband is trying to locate anyone who was in Panama at the same time that he was.His symptoms sound much like yours, Ranger Rupe. He has had progressive and rapid onset of Diabetes type 2,cardiac surgery following hypertension and a heart attack, peripheral neuropathy,renal failure soon to require dialysis, and this year, colon cancer.He is not yet 60 years of age. He was in Panama from 9/1971-2/1973 with the
US ARmy Military Police Unit 534 a Sp4 MP.He patrolled Ft.Clayton, Ft. Amador, Ft. Howard the surrounding jungles, the "flats", and reports being exposed to spraying of chemical agents daily.
If anyone cares to respond, please e-mail cmbarden@verizon.com (Plant City, Florida)
I have just been reading the accounts of many Veterans on the Web Site called "Topix" Yes, I was in Panama from 1973 to 1974. I was stationed as a Sergeant in the USMC and guarded the American Embassy. I was a frequent visitor to Ft. Clayton and Ft. Kobbe. Served from 1970 to 1974 inclusive.

Almost all of the cases for presumptive diseases and cancers in the Panama Canal Zone have been denied by the BVA since, unlike Vietnam, the Panama Canal Zone, is not a presumptive country but a rebuttable area. I have a law enforcement, private investigative and law clerk background. All of the cases that have lost at the BVA seem to lack credible direct or expert evidence.

I have read your E mail and it is heartbreaking as are many of the other E Mails in the "topix" web site. One cannot be help but to have tears. I am going to start gathering evidence. It will take some time and may require a few field trips to Panama. If there is evidence to be found I will find it. It is possible that all who have lost their cases can reopen those cases based on new evidence. I spoke with many of the MP's and like most other Americans you meet (I was also in Djakarta, Indonesia) in a far away place, all of the MP's were just a great bunch of guys.

Don't despair. Many people are with you. You are not alone. I have many pictures of Panama, do you want me to make a copy for you?

Lawrence Reichelt
larryrchlt@aol.com
bennybob

Bexar, AR

#76 Nov 24, 2011
how do i get in touch with you? to get these Maps? this Info? i was in panama in 89 have tested positive for ao but va says no frigging way? My unit guarded an ammo dump that had orange and blue striped barrels that leaked and the next morning we got showers and new uniforms .
Ranger_Rupe wrote:
<quoted text>
Before you go to register for being exposed to agent orange in PCZ, may I suggest that you contact CDC (preferrably in Washington, DC) and get examined for symptoms and/or exposure for agent orange first.
I say this after attempting to get examined or registered for agent orange exposure while in Panama Canal myself, after my Army buddy and I found a VA website that not only disclosed that agent orange had been burried in 15 locations in Panama, along with Sarrin Nerve Agent and something called NX agent.
This website not only exposed this information, but also had a map on it showing not one, but two locations at Ft. Sherman, PCZ, where 150 barrels were burried.
My Army buddy and I have found many of our men, NCO's and Officers, to get their assistance in winning our claims against the VA for our service connected disabilities. We found that three of our men have died from colon cancer, which along with pancreatic cancer, are symptoms of agent orange among many other symptoms. Another one of our men died from pancreatic cancer, and we have learned several weeks ago, that one of our Sergeant's is dying of one of the two types of cancer's at this moment.
My twin son's were born in 1985 and had nearly died when they were three months old, from spinal meninjitis, which turns out that meninjitis is yet another symptom of agent orange. Now, a few days ago, I learned that the surviving twin (his brother committed suicide in 2005) has an unknown fluid on his brain and has most likely had it from birth. The probability of this being a result of agent orange, is not implausible.
One of my Army buddies that lives here in Tampa, Fl., and another one in Maine, both have daughters who have been diagnosed with Learning disabilities and one daughter diagnosed as mentally retarded. The buddy in Maine, has two daughters and he has been diagnosed with exposure to Agent Orange approx. eight times, I know this to be true, as I have seen his medical records.
Many of my other buddies that have died or are ill with symptoms of Agent Orange, have never been to Vietnam, and the one here in Tampa, has been to Korea, in an area that has been exposed with Agent Orange, as found in the VA website and documented by records from the DOD.
When you get evidence of being exposed to agent orange, get ahold of your congressman or senator with copies of this evidence and documents showing that you were indeed in Panama Canal, and file Congressional, that is the only way you are going to beat the VA, trust me, I know. I am 100% service connected for a host of "other" disabilities, including several "disease's".
Good Luck and keep me informed as to how the battle is going. If any Veterans need help in fighting the VA, let me know. I can help, as one Vet to Another.
riverrat

Houston, MN

#77 Feb 27, 2012
im a pcz vet 77-79
rash,high white bloodcell count,diabetes,hypertnsion,i was hospitallized when there and wa told my body was poisioned and i stayed in hospital for 8 days there even had to cut my tonsils out,i was at ft davis
Ricky Hurt

Princeton, WV

#78 Feb 27, 2012
Yes I would like to have the website at Fort Sherman
to help with my claim. Please submit it to me.
Rita --

United States

#79 Apr 9, 2012
My husband initially filed with the VA in 2001 for AO exposure in Panama, and his claim was denied. He had Diabetes II among other problems and now we have to send info to them in reference to exposure. Where are some websites that show where it was sprayed, buried, etc.? Also, are there any claims that were approved for Panama vets exposed to AO?
My husband was stationed at Fort Clayton, CZ Company A Mechanized, during 1962-1964. He told me that he mixed barrels containing some form of herbicides and they sprayed the trees around the Canal Zone during practice to see if the foliage would deteriorate before sending the barrels to VietNam. Soldiers that participated in this program were also sprayed while eating lunch and while mixing other barrels, he was one of them. My husband passed away January 9, 2011 from Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma, Diabetes, heart disease and other. I am fighting the VA right now for recognition that the toxins contributed to his early death.
If you have any names of other soldiers, or location of the barrels, please let me know. I will be very grateful.
HELP!
ritant@msn.com
J David Sutton

Knoxville, TN

#80 May 27, 2012
Ronnie wrote:
I have filed a claim for AO exposure in Panama also. Do you have the website where the barrels are shown to be buried or any other proof of AO in Panama?
I have a certificate issued to me in 1968, Panama Canal. Stating that I was a volunteer that was sprayed with AO as a government test on the effects to humans.
J David Sutton

Knoxville, TN

#81 May 27, 2012
I have a certificate issued to me 1968 in Panama Canal stating That i was a volunteer sprayed with AO as a government test on humans. I was diagnosed with tonsil cancer in 2011. Was turned down by the VA. I need advice.
BigFiji

Van Nuys, CA

#83 Jan 11, 2013
Anyone and everyone who served in the Canal Zone/Panama who is concerned about the use of Agent Orange in Panama please go to Change.org website and sign my petition to support change by the VA on Agent Orange use there if you really want change.

First you sign the petition than ask all of your friends to sign the petition right away.
What we need is one voice and bring attention to the VA and to the politicians that we are suffering from Agent Orange Exposure and the VA needs to come clean on it.
We know that DOD used AO all over the world but exclude Panama?

Lets put pressure on the politicians by signing the petition now.

Thanks.
BigFiji

Van Nuys, CA

#84 Jan 11, 2013
Calling all Veterans and their family members please sign the Petition at Change .Org https://www.change.org/petitions/support-chan... .

Lets all support each other to bring about change by signing the above petition.
Go to the link and sign the petition.
Rick Eckhoff

United States

#85 Mar 25, 2013
David Sorrell wrote:
I will be going to a VA disability claims office Monday to register my belief that I am suffering from AO contact in the PCZ. I know, good luck with that but, if we don't all suffering register, the gov has won getting out of yet another contractually bound promise. I am in sympathy with all the rest us who KNOW the truth but, even with undeniable evidence, the government seems to fabricate loopholes. I apologize, I've been very sick for 5 years now and I know the truth.
I have been trying also I have all the systoms to include triple heart by-pas surgery TypeII diabetes Liver problems and cancer served in PCZ as combat engineer 76-78 know it was used to clear LZ at that time VA denies nevery used spent 35 years with the Army everthing hit me at once when I was early 50s my email is tinye@iland.net pls let me know whats happening with you thanks!

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#87 Mar 25, 2013
Can you help me find info for my husband who is disabled? He was in panama in 1966 fort gulick jungle training. And has many diseases that nobody in his family has, diabetes high blood pressure. IHD etc. I can't find you on Facebook. Thank you

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Second Circuit Court of Appeals Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Omnicom Reaches Settlement in Anti-Gay Discrimi... Jan '18 Christshariahns 3
News Trumpa s administration argues employers should... Oct '17 Paul 89
News U.S. appeals court to consider rights of gay wo... Sep '17 cpeter1313 2
News MGM to unveil plans for waterfront casino in Br... Sep '17 WorkAvoider 2
News Federal law doesn't ban discrimination against ... (Jul '17) Jul '17 Retribution 4
News A timeline of rulings, regulations about studen... (May '17) May '17 anonymous 1
News 2nd Circuit allows sex bias suit based on gay s... (Mar '17) Apr '17 Just Think 13
More from around the web