Big DOMA Decision Handed Down

Big DOMA Decision Handed Down

There are 1220 comments on the The Huffington Post story from May 31, 2012, titled Big DOMA Decision Handed Down. In it, The Huffington Post reports that:

A federal appeals court Thursday declared that the Defense of Marriage Act unconstitutionally denies federal benefits to married gay couples, a ruling all but certain to wind up before the U.S. Supreme Court.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Huffington Post.

First Prev
of 61
Next Last

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

#1 May 31, 2012
Pretty simple, realy.
No State shall...pass any Bill of Attainder, ex post facto Law, or Law impairing the Obligation of Contracts,...

"...Law impairing the Obligation of Contracts..."

Marriage made in one state is a contract, and a partnership too.
I could no more break a marriage by moving to a "DOMA" state than I could void my debts by doing so; under the provision of US Constitution, Article 1 Section 10.

The homosexualists marrying had no negative effect upon my marriage. Those who claim that their heterosexual marriage is threatened by homosexual marriage might demonstrate to me how this is possible.
Be prepaired for scoffing and comuppance.
Bringmedinner

San Jose, CA

#4 May 31, 2012
Mr_Bill wrote:
Pretty simple, realy.
No State shall...pass any Bill of Attainder, ex post facto Law, or Law impairing the Obligation of Contracts,...
"...Law impairing the Obligation of Contracts..."
Marriage made in one state is a contract, and a partnership too.
I could no more break a marriage by moving to a "DOMA" state than I could void my debts by doing so; under the provision of US Constitution, Article 1 Section 10.
The homosexualists marrying had no negative effect upon my marriage. Those who claim that their heterosexual marriage is threatened by homosexual marriage might demonstrate to me how this is possible.
Be prepaired for scoffing and comuppance.
That is an absurd argument, as DOMA is a Federal Law, not any State's Law.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#5 May 31, 2012
yah te hay wrote:
So what is the federal benefit to marriage?
The purchase of a $35 marriage license from the county courthouse qualifies a married couple for the federal government's $467,562.00 marriage benefit package
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/03/your-money/...
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#6 May 31, 2012
yah te hay wrote:
What about married with real children?
Do what? All children are real
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#8 May 31, 2012
Bringmedinner wrote:
<quoted text>
It is a unanimous 3-judge Federal Court decision; not an argument
harvey

Columbus, OH

#9 May 31, 2012
Good decision!

Let's hope that if this goes to the USSC, they make the right decision, too. DOMA was always a heap of manure, not to mention unConstitutional, and needs to go once and for all.
Bringmedinner

San Jose, CA

#10 May 31, 2012
Rainbow Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
It is a unanimous 3-judge Federal Court decision; not an argument
Mr_Bill's argument was the absurd one. Making homosexual behavior criminal again is the only way to finalize the abuse of Law by Judges.

“It's a Brand New Day”

New Rochelle

#11 May 31, 2012
Bringmedinner wrote:
<quoted text>
Federal law must pass under the US Constitution. DOMA cannot authorize individual states to violate aricles of the US Constitution. That is my point.

“It's a Brand New Day”

New Rochelle

#12 May 31, 2012
Bringmedinner wrote:
<quoted text>
Mr_Bill's argument was the absurd one. Making homosexual behavior criminal again is the only way to finalize the abuse of Law by Judges.
Do yopu really want to be a criminal?
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#13 May 31, 2012
Bringmedinner wrote:
<quoted text>
Mr_Bill was reiterating the Judges' decisions from the court papers; not stating his opinion

I have the same sex orientation your mother has; attracted to men; and in all the same ways and for all the same reasons
Your mother would be in jail with me if your wish was granted
Eww!
Fortunately it's too late now. We cannot turn back time 60 years when parents kept their gay kids drugged and locked away in secret rooms so the gossipy church lady wouldn't find out
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#14 May 31, 2012
Rainbow Kid wrote:
I have the same sex orientation your mother has; attracted to men; and in all the same ways and for all the same reasons
Your mother would be in jail with me if your wish was granted
Eww!
Only if the mother was a lesbian. A same sex attraction is nothing like an opposite sex attraction.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#15 May 31, 2012
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Only if the mother was a lesbian. A same sex attraction is nothing like an opposite sex attraction.
If the mother was a lesbian; she would be attracted to women because a lesbian has the same sex orientation your father has
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#16 May 31, 2012
Rainbow Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
If the mother was a lesbian; she would be attracted to women because a lesbian has the same sex orientation your father has
Pretty screwed up, huh?

Since: Sep 08

Placitas, NM

#17 May 31, 2012
Another great step forward i the battle for equal rights for all....unfortunately it is also a great fund raising opportunity for all the Reich-wing homophobic bigots like Tony Perkins.
harvey

Columbus, OH

#18 May 31, 2012
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL! Proof that bigotry often arises out of sheer ignorance.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#19 May 31, 2012
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Pretty screwed up, huh?
What are you attracted to; hon?

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#20 May 31, 2012
DOMA will get tossed.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#21 May 31, 2012
Bringmedinner wrote:
<quoted text>
So you want revisionist judges.

How very interesting.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#22 May 31, 2012
Rainbow Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
What are you attracted to; hon?
I'm in a normal relationship and a marriage that is accepted in all 50 states and the D. of C.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#23 May 31, 2012
harvey wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL! Proof that bigotry often arises out of sheer ignorance.
So don't be a bigot.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 61
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

First Circuit Court of Appeals Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Puerto Rico seeks to recognize, allow gay marri... Mar '15 david traversa 3
News APNewsBreak: Inmate asks high court to hear sex... Mar '15 Dr Wu 13
News APNewsBreak: Inmate asks high court to hear sex... Mar '15 Lawrence Wolf 6
News In far-flung US territories, gay marriage hasn'... Mar '15 Belle Sexton 2
News Alice Man Appealing His Tax Evasion Scheme Conv... (May '10) Jan '15 dontknow 3
News Court rejects taxpayer-funded sex change for mu... (Dec '14) Dec '14 Sterkfontein Swar... 4
News US federal appeals court overturns ruling grant... (Dec '14) Dec '14 WeTheSheeple 1
More from around the web