Drug for relapsing forms of MS, Tecfi...

Drug for relapsing forms of MS, Tecfidera approved: what's next for patients?

There are 6 comments on the Examiner.com story from Apr 21, 2013, titled Drug for relapsing forms of MS, Tecfidera approved: what's next for patients?. In it, Examiner.com reports that:

The third oral drug to treat relapsing remitting Multiple Sclerosis, Tecfidera, aka BG-12 from manufacturer Biogen Idec , was approved by the FDA March 27, 2013.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Examiner.com.

Yonkers, NY

#1 Apr 22, 2013
Hey there... Not sure if anyone will read this, BUT I'm so frustrated right now and thought I would vent! I am just home from the hospital for another exacerbation. That's not even the problem. Here's the thing... After being on Betaseron,(platelet issues) Copaxone,(wasnt effective) Rebid,(platelets nosedived) and Tysabri,(my JC went positive)-- I am ready for Tecfidera,,but here's the thing... I am experiencing red tape like you can't believe!!! Biogen is telling me they have the drug, but they are trying to verify if my insurance will cover. When I call my insurance they say they are still trying to figure out if this drug is covered and on the formulary. Mind you, I have a private insurance AND Medicare, WHY AM I WAITING WEEKS FOR MY MEDICINE? It's ridiculous. And the patient assistance program? Why are rhey advertising $10 co-pay and they will ship you the drug? I AM BETTER OFF NOT HAVING INSURANCE at all. I would have the drug now. So here I sit fighting a relapse, waiting for Tecfidera. Anyone else having these issues? Anyone else start the drug? I would love some input! Thanks for listening!
Same Boat

Rome, Italy

#2 Apr 22, 2013
I was in the same boat with Aubagio when it first came out and it took 3 full months to get the drug. First it wasn't on my Ins company formulary. I got it approved then I wasn't eligible for copay insurance because I am on Medicare. I am currently paying an enormous amount for the medication. Good luck!

Yonkers, NY

#3 Apr 22, 2013
Why would you have to pay for the drug? I mean, even if you have Medicare... They don't have an assistance fund to help? You definitely should not be paying!!

Hollis, NH

#4 Apr 24, 2013
I'm waiting to start Tecfidera as well, and feel like I'm getting the runaround. I have Anthem Blue
Cross private insurance, and it's not in their formulary. At first, the specialty pharmacy I need to go through didn't have the drug yet, now they have it, but my inurance company is trying to figure out if they'll cover it, and how much they'll kick in. I'm frustrated that it's taking so long. I have Rebif that I'll use in the meantime, but I'm sick of the shots, and thought they'd be in my rearview mirror by now. We pay a lot for Blue Cross, and I feel like they're dropping the ball. I'm a very impatient patient!
:( I bet there are lots of us that are chopping at the bit for this med. Good luck. I do know of one woamn who got her rx within 9 days. I should find out who her insurer is.

Houlton, ME

#5 May 15, 2013
I have been fighting for months for tecfidera my husband is withering away in front of my eyes I call the company twice a day and get the run around usually transferred a few times and then I get the "ill have a coordinator call you back" they have been of no help. I totally understand your frustration. I do not have insurance and that isn't making it any easier either. It blows my mind because he was on avonex and its the same company that previously provided us with that medicine. Shouldn't they already have all his information? I thought this would be a lot easier. Here I sit making call after call and I feel like I'm no closer then I was 2 months ago. Very very frustrated.

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#6 Jun 6, 2013
For people looking to save money on MS medications such as Aubagio and Tecfidera, please go to Medicationcoupons.com . This website lists manufacturer drug coupons for both prescription medications and OTC medications. And, they do have coupons for both Aubagio and Tecfidera and other MS meds including Copaxone, Rebif, Avonex, Ampyra and more.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food and Drug Administration Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Seattle Genetics Demonstrates Commitment to Imp... 5 hr Rockstar 2
News The 'generic' version of this popular drug coul... Thu berrlyGrommery 3
News Are your silver fillings dangerous? (Jun '08) Thu daniel_wyatt 71
News Merck & Co.'s Antiviral Drug Successful in Phas... Wed kuhnstefanie 1
News FDA grapples with oversight of fecal transplants (Jun '14) Oct 18 israel on the dole 11
News The coffee that can keep you up for 18 hours Oct 15 Scary Clown 9
News Scabies. Oct 9 faeryfloss 9
More from around the web