Hernia Mesh Patch Recall - FDA Warns of Death and Serious Healt...

Full story: PRWeb

Patients should review the latest recall information to see if they have been implanted with the recalled device and seek medical attention if symptoms such as unexplained or persistent abdominal pain, fever, ...
Comments
3,981 - 4,000 of 8,053 Comments Last updated Yesterday
steven435

El Dorado Springs, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2011

doe's anybody have info. on the next trial????
All Meshed Up

Boulder, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2011

Thanx Terri for the info. I have to wait to be denied then I can go to a lawyer. Contacted Motley Rice, was sent a package, sent it back with a lot of info and was then told ( after I called them and talked to Megan) that as soon as my Kugel breaks give them a call.Until then I have to deal with the pain and frustration of being disabled. Wanted to sue Ethicon for the damage the Prolene did to me but can't. Want some sort of compensation for the damage done by the mesh from a simple little hernia gone bad because of the mesh. But I can't find a lawyer that has the balls to go after these people/manufacturers. I know it takes alot to get a case going but when you have a pathology report that states that the damage done to me was because of mesh you would think that there would be something I could do. But there isn't. So at the tender age of 54 I am now disabled. I don't qualify for SSDI because I made to much in 2008 so now its SSI at $645 a month. Can you live on that? I have no idea what I am going to do. The pain is getting worse, the distension of my right side is getting worse and yet there is no recourse. I do not trust Motley Rice to do the right thing after talking to them. I hope they help someone. I don't see a great deal happening. All I read about on this blog is when is the next trial. I don't read about the great success's against Kugel Bard, Ethicon...? WTF? Tell me I am wrong. I don't think I am.
Ouch

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2011

Sue wrote:
I seriously regret having the mesh put in. Had I known of this risk I would never have had it done. Please if anyone knows of a solutions, I would be interested to know.
You should, first, determine what mesh was used. You can do this by requesting the records of your operation.
Next, find the lot and reference numbers from, the product (tiny sticker on the operation report, under prosthetics/implants).
Next, go to www.fha.gov/medwatch and report your symptoms. Let's all make them listen by telling everybody the truth about this product.
Next, contact a good personal injury attorney and tell him that you want to file suite against the manufaturer for injuries sustaind by you, due to their.defective product.

Then find a doctor who believes you an look for medical options.
Terrie

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2011

Sue wrote:
I had abdominal hernia surgery, I had infection from the mesh but the surgeon said the mesh was okay. I had 3 more infections until they finally decided to take the mesh out. I had to wear a wound vac for the drainage and spend thousands of dollars because my insurance wouldn't pay for this wound vac. Well I still have my hernia and it is as large as a kids small football. I'm afraid to try anything else to have it repaired. From all the infections I even ended up on dyalasis for 4 weeks. They want to try pig skin but I'm afraid might just live with the hernia. I have no pain or any other symptoms except I can't lift for than 2o lbs. Anyone ever have a hernia repair with pig skin?
Hi, Not to take away from your message. I have be told that alot of the infection on mesh comes from cross contamination off of latex surgery gloves, the powder (CORN STARCH). I researched about the possible connection. The article I read also stated alot of hospital illness is also related to powder.
Terrie

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2011

All Meshed Up wrote:
Thanx Terri for the info. I have to wait to be denied then I can go to a lawyer. Contacted Motley Rice, was sent a package, sent it back with a lot of info and was then told ( after I called them and talked to Megan) that as soon as my Kugel breaks give them a call.Until then I have to deal with the pain and frustration of being disabled. Wanted to sue Ethicon for the damage the Prolene did to me but can't. Want some sort of compensation for the damage done by the mesh from a simple little hernia gone bad because of the mesh. But I can't find a lawyer that has the balls to go after these people/manufacturers. I know it takes alot to get a case going but when you have a pathology report that states that the damage done to me was because of mesh you would think that there would be something I could do. But there isn't. So at the tender age of 54 I am now disabled. I don't qualify for SSDI because I made to much in 2008 so now its SSI at $645 a month. Can you live on that? I have no idea what I am going to do. The pain is getting worse, the distension of my right side is getting worse and yet there is no recourse. I do not trust Motley Rice to do the right thing after talking to them. I hope they help someone. I don't see a great deal happening. All I read about on this blog is when is the next trial. I don't read about the great success's against Kugel Bard, Ethicon...? WTF? Tell me I am wrong. I don't think I am.
All meshed up, Hi. I'm 53 yrs of age. Been in your shoes. It's dam if you do & dam if you don't. I'm seen been deiened jobs called a job risk now with 4abdominal surgeries. Maybe I should of rewrote comment. I was denied the first time around. I filled the SSDISABILITY paper work out online. If you do something wrong they deien you.(But yet I do know afew people have gotten onto SS on the first try). But all the red tape BS All the triple copies of medical records. Might ass will say life history. What ticks me off is WE pay into the system every week or every paycheck, but got be almost dead before you get it. I have lost everything from the first screwed up hernia repair. and while waiting for almost two years for judge granting me temp ssd. But my husband say's that because I have multi health problems I will stay on it. Slowly blindness, low thyroid, joint problems, edema, bloodpresure, other words I'm over the mountain slidding down the other side. I said I wanted to have body given to bio science, when I pass away. I figure this could help learn what genes go wrong. any way. I used BINDER & BINDER they were good by me. I would reuse them again. What scares me is with the clowns in the white house and them not taking pay cut and living on smaller incomes like us that put them where they are. it's us that get hurt, with all the government cuts. Their was word that cuts were going to be made heavy to SS less Social workers. Form readers, up to what few judges that do the trials. Just to much BULL CRap. Which in part I blame on Health Insurance Companies, SSD Medicaid Medcare. Wall Street. Wall Street controls all the rest like puppets on knotted strings.
jeremy fulk

Mcnary, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2011

i got a double herina and i want to know if my mesh patches were recalled i got it like three weeks ago
jeremy fulk

Mcnary, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2011

in 2011
KAS

Vancouver, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2011

Does anyone know of any CANADIAN LAWSUITS against ALLODERM?

[QUOTE/]"ken griffiths"]hello James, thank you for stating what you know about the sholdice clinic. I heard they no longer do hernia repairs using mesh. When i visited them, the doctor who saw me was frank & honest. He said my problems with horrific pain are from having mesh put into my left groin 5 times [ he said this is a foreign body which my body cannot get used to] he said also that to remove the mesh would most likely kill me because of hemmoraging. As much as i suffer like a dog [ disabled w/pain, sleep problems, meds dependency] i cannot walk or exercise much without further pain aggravation. on top of this in 1990 the surgeon dissected my femoeral, & illoinguinal nerves. wow what a mistake!! he might as well put 2 wisdom teeth in there & told me to live with it permanently! I strongly advise to anybody out there: no nerve surgeries, & if you can live with your hernia---just live with it. because your alternative just is NOT worth it! i definitely feel that the marlex mesh is defective & however i dont know who to talk to about a lawsuit. anyone know for canadians?[/QUOTE]
Nor-cal

Redding, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2011

steven435 wrote:
doe's anybody have info. on the next trial????
I wish! Back in September my attorney told me they requested a jury trial and it was filed in November 2010. Haven't heard anything since. Waiting, and the pain that goes with it, is the hardest part of this whole drawn out fiasco. What is it going to take to get Davol/Bard to admit they made some crappy products and pay for their mistakes. My mesh implant was definitely the fault of the mesh. The surgeon that removed it took pictures showing how the ring snapped and pierced me and how the mesh had balled up and deteriorated inside. Pretty gross and graphic pictures.
lets see

Winona, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2011

post the pics
All Meshed Up

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2011

Thanx again Terri. In regards to Jeremy Fulks' question....need to know what kind of mesh you had. The only mesh that is currently being recalled are the LARGE Kugel patchs with the PET ring. You were more than likely implanted with another mesh. Get your OP report from the hospital where you got the surgery. Make sure it has the product code and such on it. If not, there may be another sheet that has the products used in your surgery. This may include saline solutions, the type of sutures and SHOULD contain the info for your mesh. Go from there. Good Luck.
All Meshed Up

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2011

As far as my situation goes I cannot find a lawyer to take my case. I have the small oval Kugel implanted to patch the hole left when the other mesh was removed. I read on this site not long ago that the mesh with PET rings were ALL going to be recalled as deemed by the judge in Rhode Island. Does any body know if this is true? Not one lawyer including the Motley bunch knew anything about it. Please let me know. Thanx Mucho!
Mesh removed at UCLA

Gilbert, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2011

lets see wrote:
post the pics
How do I go about posting my explant pictures on here?
steven435

El Dorado Springs, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2011

here we go again,delay after delay.the next trial is not set untill july.jury selection in the romanowski trial set for 7/26/2011.at this rate our grand kids will see justes!!!
justme

Pocatello, ID

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2011

jeremy fulk wrote:
i got a double herina and i want to know if my mesh patches were recalled i got it like three weeks ago
Hello Jermy, when you got your patches is not relavant. The kind of patch is. Please go to the hospital where the the surgry was done and ask for the medical report. Your are looking for the medical device implant record.. the sticker that wer on your device will be on theis report. Next if you have a dule mesh with ring then it is time to call an attorney. 6 lots of kugel mesh were recalled the other 3 were factory withdrawn..Now comes the fucked up part. the tthree that were withdrawn were changed a bit to correct the ring bbreaking problem then they were sent back to the market as new redesinged. there was no new approval and no testing done. I have a new redesigned and according to davol I am the first person to have it Explanted. In addition any patches sold by davol with the same design are allowed in the mdl litigation. davol makes thirty different patches with the same dule mesh with ring. A law firm to consider and taking cases is the millere firm. Jeremy when you find out what you have file an adveres event with the fDa.
justme

Pocatello, ID

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2011

steven435 wrote:
here we go again,delay after delay.the next trial is not set untill july.jury selection in the romanowski trial set for 7/26/2011.at this rate our grand kids will see justes!!!
Steven 435, I herd Davol has been settleing cases out of court.Of course we have no way to verify what I herd. However the source of my information is reliable.
Terrie

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2011

1-866-606-5173, hernia mesh attorneys
Terrie

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2011

Judged:

I just received a news letter from Alley * Clark * Greiwe Attorneys in Tampa Fl. 1-800-840-0977. The news letter is of interesting, dealing with all the recalls on hip and knee implants. It seems that all and any implants are a failure. In reading about how these other implants are fasten to the body they also seem to be in the same feild as hernia mesh their is no proper way that a man made product can be implanted into the human body. It seems that both the knee and hip law suites are getting further ahead then what hernia mesh is.
Daniel SD Cali

San Diego, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2011

I had surgery on April 22 2005. I have lived with pain since then as a result of this surgery. I had the "Davol Bard mesh prefix plug large monofiliment polypropylene," product put in me. Recently I am facing. Pain beyond tolerability. I have had swelling along my incision, pain around my whole thigh and up into my hip area, pain in my testicles, and pain urinating. I am in San Diego CA. Anyone know what I can do about this.
All Meshed Up

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2011

Judged:

The problem with "Personal Injury" Lawyers is that they are not going to take on a HARD case unless they see benefits for THEM...NOT YOU. They will NOT expend time or money on a case unless they are sure it is going to win. How do you prove that a mesh product, that hasn't been recalled, caused the damage? My Pathology report says specifically that" The mesh removed caused all damage found by surgeon." It don't mean SQUAT! I have tried every lawyer I could find but could not find one that would take my case. REMEMBER the Supreme Court ruling 3 years ago! If you have been injured, harmed, disfigured or killed by a medical device that has been approved by the FDA you cannot sue that manufacturer. Yes, there are suits for Hips and Knees but thats because the company had to admit the device failure. Ethicon, Davol, Kugel are not admitting to anything! Nor is our savior the FDA paying any attention to our complaints. Lets face it folks we are SCREWED. 99% of us are not going to get help from lawyers, manufacturers OR our Government. Even though I am now disabled BECAUSE of Mesh, and ALL of my Dr.'s admit it, there is N O T H I N G I can do. The Kugel that is in me now with the PET ring hurts like hell, causes me all sorts of problems but I have to wait for the ring to break before I can sue. THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP MOTLEY CREW! In the meantime I am losing everything I have and have slipped into poverty kicking and screaming. The Mesh I had stored at a local Hospital was destroyed even though it was clearly marked not to. I have a letter from the head of the Pathology Dept. apologizing for the "Regretful destruction". Thanx Doc...Big F***ING HELP. I can't sue the hospital unless I can prove the mesh was defective with a Product Liabilty case against Ethicon. Kind of hard to do without the Mesh and the fact that NOTHING is being done against Ethicon or their Mesh products. I have reems of medical records showing what happened to me and why but IT DOESN'T MEAN SQUAT! I'm sorry but I am really tired, upset, confused, discouraged and mad as Hell about what has happened to me and so many other people and we have no where to go for help. Advice? I get a ton of it. People I talk to that are behind the scenes trying to get stuff pushed through the FDA, Justice Dept. and the Medical community are coming up empty. The FDA will not help us. The Lawyers could not care less and we are left holding the bag. Prove me wrong somebody! PLEASE.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••