Hernia Mesh Patch Recall - FDA Warns ...

Hernia Mesh Patch Recall - FDA Warns of Death and Serious Healt...

There are 8232 comments on the PRWeb story from Feb 4, 2007, titled Hernia Mesh Patch Recall - FDA Warns of Death and Serious Healt.... In it, PRWeb reports that:

Patients should review the latest recall information to see if they have been implanted with the recalled device and seek medical attention if symptoms such as unexplained or persistent abdominal pain, fever, ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at PRWeb.

BigEasy

New Orleans, LA

#2779 Dec 18, 2009
My husband had an inguinal hernia repair in July using Prolene mesh. He never saw the surgeon when he woke from anesthesia, and at his follow up appointment, was asked if he would like to stick around for a while and "meet the surgeon." As the wound healed he felt better. However, he began to have pain in his lower abdomen he described as like a piano wire cutting him in half. His surgeon recommended that he take Advil. Approximately 2 weeks after this I had to take him to the emergency room for severe pain. An endless string of residents and interns poked and prodded him, eventually releasing him with a diagnosis of "inguinal pain," a prescription for Dilauded, and an appointment on the following day with his surgeon. He met with the surgeon who explained that the incision had created scar tissue that was irritating the nerve. The surgeon recommended that he see a pain management doctor and possibly receive an injection to ease the pain. Weeks went by and the pain increased. The pain management doctor prescribed Neurontin and Lidocain patches and said that the nerve must have been pinched or cut, and that the pain would slowly dissipate over the next two years. Over this time he has become increasingly sore all over, to the point that he cannot sleep in the bed because it hurts his shoulders to lie on them when he sleeps on his side. His Internist looked at him and was amazed by his lack of range of motion characterizing it as that of a 60 yr old (he is 43). He has a follow up appointment next week for x-rays to see what might be the cause of his pain. Reading the posts on this site has been an enlightening experience, I no longer feel like we're insane. Does anyone know of arthritis-like pain being caused by a complication from the use of the mesh? Also, does the two years of diminishing pain sound accurate? Thanks in advance for any advice.
___Sandra__MS

Madison, MS

#2780 Dec 19, 2009
EMA2012 wrote:
Since last post in Oct 97 han the last operation. In Jan 2009 had marlex mesh revoved along with mesh from operation in 99. Hydrocele was also removed.
HAve pain, discomfort and a slight limp now. Taking some non narcotic pain reliever.
Hi EM...Did the surgeon put more mesh in after he removed the first mesh? Did you have stitches?
I'm thinking about having some mesh removed also and thinking about having it done with sutures instead of mesh. I'm afraid of having worse pain after the mesh is removed. How long have you been suffering? I'm scared to have the mesh removed but can't stand the thought of leaving it in either. Thanks for you input.
ALS

Houston, TX

#2781 Dec 20, 2009
The prolene mesh can be a big problem because it is heavy weight. In a small percentage of people, this mesh can contract, bunch up, fold up, etc., causing problems and even another hernia. I had mine replaced laparoscopically with an UltraPro mesh and it is intact and not contracting. I think Parietex may be better but I had the UltraPro. It is not necessarily the surgeon but the mesh.
___Sandra___MS

Brandon, MS

#2782 Dec 21, 2009
Ana wrote:
I had the Ethicon mesh removed acouple of year ago and I have been in extreme pain ever since! I feel worse than I did when I needed the mesh. Can someone help?? [email protected]
Hi Ana, would like to know if the surgeon put mesh back in when he took the old mesh out or did he use sutures? Where was your hernia?
Did you have a scar down your abdomen. Just wondering, because I'm having trouble with mesh in my abdomen. I want it out but I'm afraid it will make it worse if I have it removed. I've heard that Dr. Bruce Ramshaw is really good and also Dr. Kevin Petersen in Las Vegas. I wouldn't just trust anyone to do a repair surgery.
I talked w/a gen. surgeon in Jackson, he said he'd have to remove my fasia and also part of my bowel if he removed the mesh. I talked w/Dr. Ramshaw, he said he wouldn't have to remove fascia or bowel either. Which one would you choose? I know I don't want my fascia or bowel removed. This is a drastic ends to a mean. I'd prefer Ramshaw thankyou. NO way if I can help it is a surgeon messing me up again.
Dave

Belle Fourche, SD

#2783 Dec 26, 2009
Mary wrote:
<quoted text>
I am sorry but what you state means nothing. You have an awful lot of spare time for a surgeon seeing patients, doing surgery, and clinical research to boot. All of that and time to blog?
Listen Dave, I am not a medical person and don't pretend to be. All of your techno jargon means nothing to me. I don't have medical books or anything else to reference as you do. I have been dealing with these problems for the better part of 10 years. I started reading this site not to be lectured but to find solutions and maybe answers. To date I have found neither on this site. It is a complaint venue. Thats it. Nothing more. A written therapy session that may help some but probably not. I have moved on and find dealing with real people rather than blogs is more to my liking. I wish you well, hope your research goes well and hope you do open rather than lap surgery as I think it is safer for the patient. See ya.
A well constructed lap repair may have the lowest risk of long term complications. The nerves typically involved with open repair are not exposed.
Va Gina

United States

#2784 Dec 27, 2009
Do you means I has to stick that thing up my a-hole?
Alfred Fahrig

Helotes, TX

#2785 Dec 28, 2009
My father was injured on the job 4 1/2 years ago and had a type of mesh implanted in his abdomen. He has under gone probably ten surgeries and has always fought infection. His abdomen retains fluid untill getting to the bursting point and you can imagine what transpires afterwards. My question is for anybody that may have any information about the goretex dual mesh which was implanted. Has there been a recall or has anyone else had a similar experience? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Alfred Fahrig
[email protected]
Antoinette

Miami, FL

#2786 Dec 30, 2009
My mom had surgery 12/11/09 for hernia repair. She got sick and now told it is mrsa. She has been the hospital since 12/24/09. They are saying if she is not well after the antibiotics then they have to look at the mesh. Pray for us.
____Sandra___MS

Brandon, MS

#2787 Dec 30, 2009
Hi Antoinette, I will be praying for your mom and your family. mrsa is a type of staph infection according to my son who is a nurse. Hope they don't have to remove the mesh. My son said if there is a pocket of fluid, they may be able to put a drain in and cut some of the infected area away. However, this may introduce more bacteria in through the instruments the surgeon uses. But there is hope that this treatment would cure the mrsa. Just pray that whatever they do will work.
God Bless your mom and family.
aew

PiteƄ, Sweden

#2788 Dec 31, 2009
New revolutionary hernia repair, I hope it's all that it's cracked up to be
http://medgadget.com/archives/2009/04/freedom...
ALS

Houston, TX

#2789 Jan 1, 2010
To Dave the MD

I came across the 2010 American Hernia Society Brochure. There is to be a short lecture using some sort of glue to repair an inguinal hernia defect. Do you know anything about this?
Dave

Rapid City, SD

#2790 Jan 2, 2010
ALS wrote:
To Dave the MD
I came across the 2010 American Hernia Society Brochure. There is to be a short lecture using some sort of glue to repair an inguinal hernia defect. Do you know anything about this?
Yes,
This is not a new technique. People have used a fibrin tissue glue called Tisseal. I looked into this, since it is an interesting idea, but it is almost too costly at the moment, adding up to around $400 -$500. I think that bioabsorbable tacks such as Covidien's absorbatack, and Bard's similar product work fairly well. One of the advantages the glue may have is fixing the mesh along the lateral inferior aspects where the femoral cutaneous nerve lies. This area is called the triangle of "pain" and surgeons are taught never to place any mechanical fixation in this area.
ALS

Houston, TX

#2791 Jan 2, 2010
Dave, can you tell me about Fibrin Glue used to get rid of adhesions?
There is a Dr. Semertzides in Cincinnati who uses Fibrin Glue to get rid of adhesions. He claims a high success rate. Also he says that there should be new mesh adhesion barrier products that can be inserted laparoscopically as barriers when they cut them out coming out on the market soon. Do you know anything about this?
cindy15717

Wilmerding, PA

#2792 Jan 3, 2010
could anyone tell me the difference between kugelcomposix & just composix mesh Bard or Davol sure cant
anyone else have part numbers
Davol 4x6 ComposixE/X Product 0123460 lot 43CPD496
Davol8x10 Composix Product 0123810 Lot 43JOD319
I am told none of these are on warning nor been recalled
email me at [email protected]
___Sandra__MS

Brandon, MS

#2793 Jan 6, 2010
BigEasy wrote:
My husband had an inguinal hernia repair in July using Prolene mesh. He never saw the surgeon when he woke from anesthesia, and at his follow up appointment, was asked if he would like to stick around for a while and "meet the surgeon." As the wound healed he felt better. However, he began to have pain in his lower abdomen he described as like a piano wire cutting him in half. His surgeon recommended that he take Advil. Approximately 2 weeks after this I had to take him to the emergency room for severe pain. An endless string of residents and interns poked and prodded him, eventually releasing him with a diagnosis of "inguinal pain," a prescription for Dilauded, and an appointment on the following day with his surgeon. He met with the surgeon who explained that the incision had created scar tissue that was irritating the nerve. The surgeon recommended that he see a pain management doctor and possibly receive an injection to ease the pain. Weeks went by and the pain increased. The pain management doctor prescribed Neurontin and Lidocain patches and said that the nerve must have been pinched or cut, and that the pain would slowly dissipate over the next two years. Over this time he has become increasingly sore all over, to the point that he cannot sleep in the bed because it hurts his shoulders to lie on them when he sleeps on his side. His Internist looked at him and was amazed by his lack of range of motion characterizing it as that of a 60 yr old (he is 43). He has a follow up appointment next week for x-rays to see what might be the cause of his pain. Reading the posts on this site has been an enlightening experience, I no longer feel like we're insane. Does anyone know of arthritis-like pain being caused by a complication from the use of the mesh? Also, does the two years of diminishing pain sound accurate? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Hi Big Easy, I understand how you feel. I've had discomfort and pain since my surgeon let a student do my hernia surgery last year.
He cut my stomach open and inserted mesh from my navel to my pubic bone. I didn't even have a hernia!! Anyhow, I know many people who are age 60 and above who don't have any pains what so ever. They are in perfect health. My dad is 89 yrs. old. He does Tai Chi three times a week at the gym. Never hurts anywhere. He does eat right. He watches his diet very carefully. Anyhow, your husband may be having some reaction to the mesh, maybe his immune system reacting to it or something. I'm not a doctor but I've heard of this type of reaction to a foreign object in the body. Good luck in finding the answer. God Bless. Sandra
Howard webster Vermont

Williston, VT

#2794 Jan 14, 2010
I had a herina repair in 1998 my health has gone down hill ever since . I know it was a meash patch but the surgen did not record the brand in his report he did say it was new technolgy and had a memory ring i have had so many test and come up with nothing as to what my health problems are docters tell me not to believe what i read on line but it makes more sence than what they say. I am getting to the point where i can not walk i am only 52 now
Howard webster Vermont

Williston, VT

#2795 Jan 14, 2010
i cannot reaad anymore of these for tonight my frustation and anger is high. I do have a feeling of elation to know i am not alone been living like this since 1999
Jan

Minneapolis, MN

#2796 Jan 15, 2010
Howard webster Vermont wrote:
i cannot reaad anymore of these for tonight my frustation and anger is high. I do have a feeling of elation to know i am not alone been living like this since 1999
I had it installed in 2002 after a ruptured appendix and I've had nothing but grief since - the docs like to push you off - suggest other causes - they basically want you to go away since they don't want to deal with it. Persist - nicely but assertively - you could have scar tissue attaching things that shouldn't be attached or even organs that are being pushed out of place - even an allergic reaction to the fabric itself. don't let them wear you down - My suggested statement is "Doctor, I understand you may not know enough about this situation to treat me, would you like to refer me to a doctor with more training?" that gets their goat and nicks their ego to the point where they pay more attention. God bless and good luck.
cheryl

Lancaster, PA

#2797 Jan 15, 2010
I had serg 2 years now and bard marlex meh and plug was used sooo many doctors one said there nothing he can do becouse he don't know me well enough another says theres nothing they can do please does anyone know what we can do
Howard webster Vermont

South Burlington, VT

#2798 Jan 16, 2010
My last round of test upper GI CatSkan and Colonoscopy show nothing new except an area of Diverticulosis of the sigmoid colin this about my eightth round of testing since 2002 Part of the meash patch has moved into my body cavity. I was told by one docter when questioning him i should have expected this like this is better that the hernia. The herina did not bother in 1998 i was told it would get worse if i did not get it repaired by a surgen. I was never offered a truss. I work construction and find it harder all the time to do my job I am only 51 most all of my medical records show there is nothing wrong with me. I keep being told by doctors to seek counciling i finally did after sevral sessions my counciler has stated that I am not depressed just frustratited. I finnally tried a lawer and was told ther was nothing he could do I am getting at the end where i don't know where to turn.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food and Drug Administration Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Gay Man Documents Protest over FDA Blood Donati... 3 hr Pardon Me 6
News Gay man legally donates blood after a year with... 3 hr Pardon Me 18
News Congressman wants FDA to take action against 'f... Jan 14 Go Blue Forever 22
News New weight-loss drug may be available soon (Sep '06) Jan 12 bfrg1 9
News FDA probes dangers of exploding e-cigarette bat... Jan 3 Pete 1
News Why Can't Gay Men Donate Blood? Jan 3 Switch hitter 21
News Stop calling almond, soy and rice milks 'milk,'... Dec 27 Mammas boy 14
More from around the web