The FDA approves generic Ambien

The FDA approves generic Ambien

There are 220 comments on the UPI story from Apr 27, 2007, titled The FDA approves generic Ambien. In it, UPI reports that:

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has approved the first generic versions of Ambien for the treatment of insomnia. via UPI

Join the discussion below, or Read more at UPI.

First Prev
of 11
Next Last
Sleepless in LA

Los Angeles, CA

#265 Feb 11, 2011
And now they've made CR generic and that has the same problems. I have to take a non-generic 10 mg (cost, about $5/night) with a generic CR just to get 3 hours of sleep and I wake up with a splitting headache. This never happened with the name brand.

Hello FDA and health insurers, are you listen to your zombie nation?
Kristine

United States

#268 Mar 29, 2011
The TEVA manu. may work but the Maylan doesn't. It is the purple pill with the M22. I took my first one 5 hrs ago and it is 4:21am. Was on a different generic last month and they switched. I take many generic medications when necessary but this drug is like taking a placebo. I am wide awake. Usually it begins to affect me within 30 minutes to and hour. This sucks. This is not Ambien..... Nor anything similar to it.
Jo Ann

Moncks Corner, SC

#269 Mar 31, 2011
I ALSO am on the generic Ambien. However, the company TEVA's product does not work AT ALL! My pharmacy recently switched me to Dr. Reddy's version, and I cannot say how WONDERFULLY well this one works. TEVA ought to be brought up to the FDA and made to reimburse people for every single prescription of generic Ambien that we have had to buy. I am disgusted by this company.
Dee

Colorado Springs, CO

#270 Apr 2, 2011
I always had good luck with Ambien. Three days ago I started on Zolpidem by Teva and no luck. Iam awake till 2 am. I went to Generic Ambien on the computer and they give a list of the manufacturers. I'm going to checkout the other brands. Good luck to you all. Dee
Ambien user

Loveland, OH

#271 Apr 5, 2011
I have taken Ambien Teva for over 2 years now and did notice that after trying a different manufacturer there seemed to be a difference so I switched back to Teva. If I take a whole tablet I only sleep for 2 hours and it is out of my system. I started taking 1/2 tablet at bedtime and when I wake up I take the other 1/2 tablet and that seems to help me sleep better. The pharmacy will not refill that med early in my area so If taking more than prescribed you are out of luck for getting more. I did not know that there were others like me with this same situation. I have mentioned it to the pharmacy and they say they have never heard of anyone complaining of the difference in how it should be working. I have to try the Mylan brand tonight and if it does not work I am taking it back and going to a different pharmacy.
TEVA Ambien ineffective

Greer, SC

#273 Apr 23, 2011
I have learned my lesson for good! Never, ever, ever again will I waste my money on Teva Ambien. It is completely ineffective! It is best to go without any sleep for one night, and hold onto your RX Ambien prescription while you search each pharmacy until you find another lab that makes a "effective" formula. Unfortunately, I have found only good generic ambien from other countries. Although, it's a bit risky to buy it this way. Just my honest opinion.
Pissed

Dallas, TX

#274 May 21, 2011
Teva Zolpidem is useless. I want my money (and my old Ambien) back.
Joanna

Honolulu, HI

#279 Jun 28, 2011
So tired wrote:
I too have been switched to the generic Ambien (Zolpidim), I took it 3 and a half hours ago and am still wide awake. I am looking for some information as to why the generic would be different...but have been told there have been no complaints of this by the doctor and the pharmacist. Hope it works for you!
<quoted text>
If the high dose prescriptions don't seem to work for you and your exercising and eating well, maybe you should try some more unorthodox remedies. I know there's a list a mile long of wives-tales about snake urine and garlic to cure insomnia but there are always a few extra tips and tricks that can help. I just found this guys blog who posts different tips and ideas to help with insomnia.He also adds entertaining stuff like nightly song suggestions to help you sleep. He only has a few posts but hes been updating them regularly. Its pretty cool some of the stuff he mentions, Id say its worth at least checking out.
Here's the link, hope this helps!: http://insomniaticmeats.blogspot.com/
Joshua

Honolulu, HI

#280 Jun 28, 2011
Ambien user wrote:
I have taken Ambien Teva for over 2 years now and did notice that after trying a different manufacturer there seemed to be a difference so I switched back to Teva. If I take a whole tablet I only sleep for 2 hours and it is out of my system. I started taking 1/2 tablet at bedtime and when I wake up I take the other 1/2 tablet and that seems to help me sleep better. The pharmacy will not refill that med early in my area so If taking more than prescribed you are out of luck for getting more. I did not know that there were others like me with this same situation. I have mentioned it to the pharmacy and they say they have never heard of anyone complaining of the difference in how it should be working. I have to try the Mylan brand tonight and if it does not work I am taking it back and going to a different pharmacy.
If the high dose prescriptions don't seem to work for you and your exercising and eating well, maybe you should try some more unorthodox remedies. I know there's a list a mile long of wives-tales about snake urine and garlic to cure insomnia but there are always a few extra tips and tricks that can help. I just found this guys blog who posts different tips and ideas to help with insomnia.He also adds entertaining stuff like nightly song suggestions to help you sleep. He only has a few posts but hes been updating them regularly. Its pretty cool some of the stuff he mentions, Id say its worth at least checking out.
Sleepless in NY

Big Flats, NY

#283 Sep 9, 2011
I just did a search on google asking what would be the cause of my Ambien not working at all. I haven't taken any in weeks and then it dawned on me. After reading through threads. In the beginning the first Doctor I had gave me Ambien (brand name) and I had to switch Dr's when she left and the new bottle I was given looked different and they worked completely different. The brand Ambien always worked for me within 15-30 minutes. My mouth would get dry and that was my CLUE it was starting! My muscles relaxed and then if I didn't go right to bed I would start doing daring bizarre things, but I knew enough to go to bed and stay there.

With the TEVA generic Ambien, one has absolutely no affect on me, so I take 2, sit another hour that's not doing anything.I haven't had anything to eat because they tell you not to eat anything fatty before them. Sit hours longer, so I cave in and take a 3rd, which I know, maybe shouldn't have but I need to go to sleep!
Crappy thing is, I have Medicaid, there is no way they would Medicaid would approve me to take brand names would they (even for a co pay or something?) Because I'd rather pay something then get pills that are affecting my body, but yet not doing their job. My provider got my Medicaid to improve it the Ambien CD 12.5mg, but I'm sure that was a generic???? That had even slower effects on me! I really wishI could get the REAL AMBIEN that help me sleep so sound the first year or so!
Nobody Uno

Bettendorf, IA

#285 Dec 27, 2011
Shirley wrote:
I'd like to add my 2 cents to Ambien vs Zolpidem thread. My pharmacy gave me Zolpidem manufactured by Mylan. I noticed the difference immediately: it takes a long time to kick in, my sleep is still troubled and I'm groggy when I wake up. Seems like the only difference between taking it or not taking it is that I'm groggier when I do take it.
This is similar to my experience with Zolpidem. I was able to get to sleep initially as I am often able to do. However, I am only able to sleep a few hours at a time before getting up and wandering around in a fog and the biggest drawback is that I am groggy all the next day and even have a lingering headache.

I did notice the hard shell on this pill and was thinking maybe I should crush it so that while sleeping and my digestive system was slower that it would all absorb more quickly (I assumed that it was on there for a reason and the "experts" would have known better if it was going to be an issue).

Seeing all of the side effects and dependancies to this stuff I am wondering if it is worth it at all and I may just resort to reading until tears - I am sure I can find a nice technical read to put me to sleep ;-)
Nobody Uno

Bettendorf, IA

#286 Dec 27, 2011
Joshua wrote:
<quoted text>
I have been on a healthy diet of primarily fruits, vegetables, meats and lactose free dairy for 3+ years and have been going to the gym 3 or more times a week for an hour or so and have more problems now than ever. I think I know the reasons that I have my insomnia but I just wanted to throw in that diet and excercise while they can't hurt may not help. I would still recommend diet and excercise in general but note that my doctor stressed eating your last meal of the day in the early evening/afternoon and NO caffiene after 2-3 PM. Also, he said that excercise should be done as early in the day as possible because it too can be a stimulant that can prevent good sleep.
Brenda

Milton, FL

#288 Jan 21, 2012
So tired wrote:
I too have been switched to the generic Ambien (Zolpidim), I took it 3 and a half hours ago and am still wide awake. I am looking for some information as to why the generic would be different...but have been told there have been no complaints of this by the doctor and the pharmacist. Hope it works for you!
<quoted text>
"Nauseated" I too have been switched to Zopidim and find that I am slightly nauseated during the day, this lasts until bedtime
Finally feeling normal

Boise, ID

#290 Aug 10, 2012
After several months of being on the generic Ambien and like all of you.....having a hard time going to sleep, sleeping for only five hour and waking up groggy (I'm actually writing this after waking up after five hours of sleep and much thought about whether it could be the Ambien), I FINALLY FEEL NORMAL!

I'm going to call my doc for the name brand which is going to cost an arm and a leg...it's inteteresing. I'm thinking how many nights a week do I actually need to get GOOD sleep? This is ridiculous! I'm going to have t have a stash of the generic as well for those nights when I don't 'need' the good sleep.
Ambian lover

Clearwater, FL

#293 Nov 22, 2012
wow I have PTSD and took Ambian the brand 4years ago but now that i have no insurance I take generics and have noticed that the pills affect differ from pharmacy to another, I told my friend which uses it then I told my husband he said it's just in my head. Tiva is a waste. even if you get generics get the purple ones if your taking the 10 MG it's amazing and does wonders.
Angel

Santa Rosa, CA

#295 Sep 28, 2013
Canada Pharmacy ONLINEMEDOX. COM will always be the best pharmacy for me, whether I order prescription or non-prescription. Never failed me in delivery and quality of products.
Joan

O Fallon, MO

#298 Sep 28, 2013
Canada Pharmacy ONLINEMEDOX. COM will always be the best pharmacy for me, whether I order prescription or non-prescription. Never failed me in delivery and quality of products.
Constantin

Germany

#299 Sep 29, 2013
I have ordered prescription drugs (without a prescription) online from XTOP24 .COM about two years ago, and was pleased with the speed and quality of service.
I'm thinking of doing the same thing with my medication. The meds is expensive, but there is a generic version available overseas.
I love the idea of taking responsibility for my own health (or lack of health) and skipping the bureaucracy... to say nothing of having to drive to the doctor, wait in line, yet again, to get a prescription refilled.
Brierley

UK

#300 Oct 8, 2013
I just today received my 4th from Xtop24 .COM , I think, order from them, and as always, am very happy with them! I'm a real person too, lol, I don't work for them, but I found this forum when looking for other people who take this drug. EMS shipping method, I get it in less than a week, and I swear the couple times I actually called to place an order versus online ordering, i got it quicker,like 2-3 days later. The tracking number and estimated delivery date has been 100% accurate so far, and customer service has been great. I even got a coupon for 20 bucks off of my last order through email, which I thought was an excellent thing to do for their customers! I'll continue using them as long as I have to!
Yalonda Oneal

United States

#302 Jan 18, 2015
How does the pill look

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food and Drug Administration Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News News 11 Mins Ago House bill would curb regulati... 22 hr Why Bother 2
News FDA Misleadingly Relaxes Guidelines for Dangero... Thu cpeter1313 1
News FDA: Side Effects Of Anti-Psychotic Drug Are Un... Thu Three Days 1
News Families Sue Sperm Bank For Giving Them DNA Of ... Wed Three Days 1
News Crest Pro-Health Rinse Draws Complaints (May '08) Apr 30 bjb 626
News Hawaii Sperm Bank still in business, owner says... (Sep '09) Apr 30 District 1 Nievity 27
News Study: No suicide risk for anti-smoking pills Apr 25 SUS 2
More from around the web