FDA approves Mylan's generic Topamax

FDA approves Mylan's generic Topamax

There are 154 comments on the Newscom story from Sep 12, 2006, titled FDA approves Mylan's generic Topamax. In it, Newscom reports that:

Mylan said Tuesday the U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved its generic formulation of Ortho-McNeil's migraine medication Topamax.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newscom.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Tymaka Woods

Greer, SC

#1 Sep 21, 2006
I just wondering that Generic Topmax make you lose a lot of weight?
joy-MS

AOL

#2 Dec 20, 2006
is generic topamax available in the US yet, since the FDA supposedly aproved it in 9/06?
Sam

Great Neck, NY

#3 Jan 1, 2007
joy-MS wrote:
is generic topamax available in the US yet, since the FDA supposedly aproved it in 9/06?
According to the following website - http://headaches.about.com/b/a/247834.htm - the US patent on Topamax (by Ortho-McNeil) does not expire until Sept 08, so perhaps the generic version by Mylan (though approved in Sept 06) will only hit the US market at that time.
Terri

Vincentown, NJ

#4 Jan 8, 2007
Tymaka Woods wrote:
I just wondering that Generic Topmax make you lose a lot of weight?
Yes I have been taking the generic and I am still losing. Since i have been on Topamax I have lost over 40lbs. I don't like the other side effects of memory loss or repeating myself at times but it has helped my complex migraines. I just can't lose any more weight.
Terri

Edgewater, NJ

#5 Feb 25, 2007
Terri wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes I have been taking the generic and I am still losing. Since i have been on Topamax I have lost over 40lbs. I don't like the other side effects of memory loss or repeating myself at times but it has helped my complex migraines. I just can't lose any more weight.
I thought generic Topomax is only available in Canada. Am I incorrect? Hopefully?
Judi

Since: Feb 07

Edgewater, NJ

#6 Feb 25, 2007
Terri wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought the generic version of Topamax was only available in Canada. Is it now available in the US?
Mike

Benton, AR

#7 Jun 16, 2008
Any hope for generic version in us anytime soon?
Jessica

Charlotte, NC

#8 Jul 1, 2008
I really hope they get the ball rolling on this because it is really rediculous. I have insurance and still here it is July and my insurance has capped, paid all they are willing to pay this year for my RX so I have to pay full price the remainder of the year. I take this medication for epilepsy so it isnt like I can just stop taking it for a few months. I could die before Sept. rolls around and I cant pay $400 per month for my meds when I am already paying $200 per month for insurance that I cant use for the remainder of the year. It just sucks basically.
Lisa

Pocatello, ID

#9 Jul 18, 2008
Jessica,
Even though you have insurance, please apply to Glaxo-Smith-Kline to get assistance for the Topamax. They were wonderful with me when I lost my insurance, even though I was way over income limits. They covered me for 6 months, and the cost was almost $900 a month. I take it for migraines and cluster headaches at 400 mg/2x daily.

Lisa
Jessica wrote:
I really hope they get the ball rolling on this because it is really rediculous. I have insurance and still here it is July and my insurance has capped, paid all they are willing to pay this year for my RX so I have to pay full price the remainder of the year. I take this medication for epilepsy so it isnt like I can just stop taking it for a few months. I could die before Sept. rolls around and I cant pay $400 per month for my meds when I am already paying $200 per month for insurance that I cant use for the remainder of the year. It just sucks basically.
Lisa

Pocatello, ID

#10 Jul 18, 2008
Jessica,

I meant Ortho-McNeil. I had to work with GSK for a med as well. Brain dead on this Friday evening.

Lisa
Jessica

Charlotte, NC

#11 Aug 8, 2008
I will go and try that. I went to the website and it kept asking me questions and telling me I was not qualified, but it was through the automated system. So maybe I can find a different way to apply. Thanks for the help.
Karen

United States

#12 Aug 11, 2008
It is very hard to qualify. You have to be dirt poor. Just being middle class, having 3 kids, house payments, other bills, gas prices, keeping food on the table and insurance that covers some (still cost over $600 for a 3 month supply)doesn't count!!
When can we find out for sure if it will be available in generic form? The FDA sends you a form e-mail with lots of mumbo-jumbo!!
Jessica

Charlotte, NC

#13 Aug 18, 2008
I tried again and did not qualify. I have tried every single program out there and am told that I do not qualify. Just because I am trying to work and trying to provide myself with insurance- private insurance that I pay for which is $200 per month out of my pocket, I can get no help. This is a really really sad system. $400 for one month of my seizure medication and I dont know how I am going to purchase that next month. I have missed paying 2 weeks of childcare to purchase it this month. However, if I did not work- by choice- and chose not to pay my own health insurance I could get all the help I wanted. Not fair at all. This needs to be addressed.
Penncort

Reading, PA

#14 Sep 3, 2008
Do you have good luck with the generic. Can you tell a difference? I am anxiously awaiting my generic. The cost of Topamax is crazy. I have hit the "gap" in my medicare coverage. But Topamax was a lifesaver for me, so I pray that it will be approved soon.
Denise

Warren, RI

#15 Sep 6, 2008
Ask you MD for samples. Believe me - she / he has them. The reps hand them out constantly! And they always ask if there is anybody that needs help. They are willing to give extra samples to help people get over a 'hump' rather than see you stop taking it / start taking anher med. You just have to make your neurologist aware of your situation so she / he can help you.
Jessica wrote:
I tried again and did not qualify. I have tried every single program out there and am told that I do not qualify. Just because I am trying to work and trying to provide myself with insurance- private insurance that I pay for which is $200 per month out of my pocket, I can get no help. This is a really really sad system.$400 for one month of my seizure medication and I dont know how I am going to purchase that next month. I have missed paying 2 weeks of childcare to purchase it this month. However, if I did not work- by choice- and chose not to pay my own health insurance I could get all the help I wanted. Not fair at all. This needs to be addressed.
Maryanna

West Sacramento, CA

#16 Sep 11, 2008
topamax has lost its patent on the drug they fired all their reps. and no longer give Dr.s office samples. There should be a generic available soon. this is what my dr told me in aug.08 The dr always kept me in samples, but for the mean time I am taking Tegratol for my seizures cost me $4.00 for a month verses $400.00 for topamax
KatB

Lancaster, PA

#17 Sep 11, 2008
My neurologist also indicated today that she would not be receiving any additional Topamax samples. I pay for health insurance out of pocket, but it doesn't cover RX. My Topamax currently cost $175 a month if filled at Wegman's (a grocery store.) I agree, the price is ridiculous, but the medicine has been a life saver for me as far as my migraines are concerned. I've also experienced few side effects. I am doing searches now to find out if Topamax is now available as a generic. I hope so!
tiaj13

Brooks, ME

#18 Sep 12, 2008
Maryanna wrote:
topamax has lost its patent on the drug they fired all their reps. and no longer give Dr.s office samples. There should be a generic available soon. this is what my dr told me in aug.08 The dr always kept me in samples, but for the mean time I am taking Tegratol for my seizures cost me $4.00 for a month verses $400.00 for topamax
Maryanna - you seem to have the most up to date info. I had been on J&J plan and getting my Topamax free but they just denied me b/c I was a few hundred dollars over the limit - what did this mean for me??? I had to stop taking 300mg cold! I recently moved and the new Dr I just found has no samples. I took my last dose Monday - not feeling great and nervous. I see a new neurologist on Tuesday but who knows what shape I will be in. I have a partial seizure disorder and migraines. After the initial side effects of this drug I really like it and had been on it for a year. Our health system really does %^&*!!!!!
tj
Jessica

West Jefferson, NC

#19 Sep 14, 2008
Well at this point I am down to about 6 doses left. I am scared because I cant buy a refil when these are gone. I am really scared that I am going to start having siezures again. I work full time, have 2 kids, and commute 40 minutes to and from work everyday. Everything has been fine until this. I am just really scared and I dont know what to do.
Kristine

AOL

#20 Sep 15, 2008
Jessica, Unfortunately for those of us in the US, we can't get generics as quickly as those outside the US. But if you do a little research, you will find that you can find the generic equiv available online with a prescription at much more affordable prices. The medication packages can be ordered from Canada and several other countries and many come in tamper proof blister packaging. It's not the ideal situation, but given the costs in the US, I understand your dilemna!! My insurance has a large deductible and I have been frequently forced to be more creative or do without. Be sure to check your state's regulations. Most states don't have a problem if you only order medication for personal use. Best of luck!!
Jessica wrote:

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food and Drug Administration Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Gay man legally donates blood after a year with... Fri Donnelly 18
News Cleaned Dried Processing debuts new 143,000-squ... (Aug '14) Thu Blessing 7
News Botox Approved to Treat Urinary Incontinence (Aug '11) Thu kirton 8
News Health Canada probes weight-loss company sellin... Thu Christine Taylor ... 1
News Gay Man Documents Protest over FDA Blood Donati... Jan 18 Beauty QUEEN 5
News Congressman wants FDA to take action against 'f... Jan 14 Go Blue Forever 22
News New weight-loss drug may be available soon (Sep '06) Jan 12 bfrg1 9
More from around the web