FBI can secretly turn on your web cam without your knowing

Full story: Newkerala.com

Washington, Dec. 9 : The Federal Bureau of Investigation has developed advanced surveillance techniques giving it the power to secretly activate web cameras to spy.
Comments
1 - 3 of 3 Comments Last updated Dec 12, 2013
sheepleloveroyal ty

Bryn Mawr, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2013

An indicator light theoretically should be part of the circuit and not attached to it. In other words to "secretly" turn on a computer camera would've had to been built into or designed to do just that.

The government has already demanded backdoors into computers and software since the 1990s.

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2013/06/micros...

Who controls the design specification or requirements for computers or cell phones?

The FCC? What is the FCC part of-the government, a fellow government agency.
lamer

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2013

The FCC only deals with airwaves and such. They dont really have anything to do with standards used on computers or cell phones.

There are many organizations which help set standards for different things in the computer/mobile device world. As of now though, many of these organizations are being thrown out since the NSA leaks showing them building backdoors into web encryption standards.

So US businesses are losing customers b/c of this type of spying, and now the US organizations who help with these standards are being force out too; making the US loose even more grip on future standards.

IF there are specific types of "standards" you are looking for i can point you in the direction of the organizations who set such standards.
sheepleloveroyal ty

Bryn Mawr, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2013

I see what you are saying but a lot of electric devices have to make sure their electro magnetic field(EMF) doesn't interfere with communication. A lot of chargers or transformers especially even have an FCC rating like a class 2 transformer. I've seen FCC ratings on toasters of all things. But so does UL or United Listing. Many electrical engineers or computer societies also recommend standards. But wouldn't any of these organizations who put their stamp of approval on devices have had to seen design specs or sample product?

In the end I'm almost sure it's the various law enforcement and spy agencies demanded various features and information from the computer companies. Poo pooing even a remote potential law enforcement scenario or use is considered not pc.

I heard on cell phones the cookie or monitoring capabilities are available in apps and sometimes hidden in the software and user agreement of an unassociated app. They sell cell phone tracking in the name of "emergencies" so you don't have to give an address during a 911 call. Feel safe now?

I heard only 2 search warrants have been issued for this type of "monitoring"-only 2 uses of this technology?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••