Miners Weather The Slow Burn Of Coal's Demise

Jul 14, 2012 Full story: GPB.org 15

Equipment for transporting and housing coal sits idle in Cowen, W.Va. Since the natural gas boom, several mines in Webster County have either slowed or shut down operation, laying off hundreds of workers.

Full Story
nope

Oakvale, WV

#1 Jul 23, 2012
Natural Gas boom??? Are you serious? Coal is idle because the EPA won't issue permits and the president is trying to shut coal down....Does gas run thr power plants??? NOPE!!
be informed

Summersville, WV

#2 Jul 23, 2012
nope wrote:
Natural Gas boom??? Are you serious? Coal is idle because the EPA won't issue permits and the president is trying to shut coal down....Does gas run thr power plants??? NOPE!!
Yes they are switching power plants to natural gas lol look it up. I'll agree the EPA is a vigilante for Obama and is killing coal. I also think fracking is going to do way more damage than they are saying, we should be more scared of it than the coal mines, deep mines that is. I wouldn't care much if they outlawed MTR, it looks awful.

“Pro Union - Enviro Vigilante”

Since: Feb 12

Craigsville , WV

#3 Jul 23, 2012
nope wrote:
YEP !!! & more of em every day!

Craigsville , WV

#4 Jul 23, 2012
be informed wrote:
<quoted text>Yes they are switching power plants to natural gas lol look it up. I'll agree the EPA is a vigilante for Obama and is killing coal. I also think fracking is going to do way more damage than they are saying, we should be more scared of it than the coal mines, deep mines that is. I wouldn't care much if they outlawed MTR, it looks awful.
Pollution is killing coal & EPAs job is to limit or stop pollution .. That's how it reads.
Yes to Gas

Montcalm, WV

#5 Jul 24, 2012
Most power plants are set up as dual fuel burning facilities. They will burn either gas or coal depending on which fuel is cheaper at the time. Thus, the power companies make more money because our rates do not go down. Gas is cleaner, cheaper and better for the environment. Time to leave the earth alone and get rid of coal......

Craigsville , WV

#6 Jul 24, 2012
Yes to Gas wrote:
Most power plants are set up as dual fuel burning facilities. They will burn either gas or coal depending on which fuel is cheaper at the time. Thus, the power companies make more money because our rates do not go down. Gas is cleaner, cheaper and better for the environment. Time to leave the earth alone and get rid of coal......
I approve of that message ....

“AVT DISCE AVT DISCEDE”

Since: Oct 10

MANET SORS TERTIA CAEDI

#7 Jul 24, 2012
I'm amazed at how people will cling to coal, no matter the cost. Remember when they said "cotton is king?" Yeah, that didn't work out, either.
Coalhater

Rupert, WV

#8 Jul 24, 2012
All of you "Friends of Coal" had better face the reality that whether it happens now, ten years from now or fifty years from now coal will no longer provide substantial employment or revenue for West Virginia because all of the coal will be mined out. President Obama is NOT trying to kill the coal industry, that is merely a negative smear campaign by Republicans who are all about big business and big government to scare everyone into voting for whoever gets the Republican nomination. Basically, Mitt Romney though nothing is official yet. President Obama is working with the EPA and other agencies in an effort to develop alternative methods to coal burning so that when the industry does bottom out for good there will be some way to continue to produce electricity and keep us going. Obama is not the demonic entity he is portrayed to be, he actually has some really good ideas but Congress is throwing up brick walls in front of him with every proposal he makes because Congress is for the most part made up of Republicans and disgruntled Democrats who are mad because they want to turn the Democratic Party into a bunch of money grubbing, uptight schmucks like the Republicans are and Obama is fighting with them tooth and nail over it so nothing is getting done. Obama isn't perfect but I'd rather have Charlie Manson in the White House than suffer through another Republican like George W. Bush. Think what you want, believe all the roadside smear slogans stating that Obama is killing coal. Arch Coal shut the Birch Mountain operation down because the demand for coal this past year was far less than it has been in recent years and they felt they had to trim some fat somewhere in order to put more money into their other operations and meet the expected coal demands but not exceed them. This is what we get for pouring every aspect of our local economy into the coal industry. You damn coal lovers have been told for years that this was going to happen but you have all insisted vehemently that coal is what makes West Virginia go. Well, in many areas it still does but not this area anymore. Coal is a renewable resource but it takes centuries to form a quality coal seam. I suppose now we're down to either allowing alternate forms of industry into the area instead of bitching and crying anytime some corporation wants to locate in the area or we can all sit at the damn house until it falls down around us. Webster County, you have done this to yourself and there are many of us who do not feel sorry for you. I know I don't.

Craigsville , WV

#9 Jul 24, 2012
The Reverend Malice wrote:
I'm amazed at how people will cling to coal, no matter the cost. Remember when they said "cotton is king?" Yeah, that didn't work out, either.
ELVIS WAS KING
two worthless cents

Summersville, WV

#10 Jul 24, 2012
Bug Ridge wrote:
<quoted text>I approve of that message ....
No you don't. You hate fracking too lol!
two worthless cents

Summersville, WV

#11 Jul 24, 2012
The Reverend Malice wrote:
you not use cotton anymore boss?
more then coal

Danielson, CT

#12 Jul 24, 2012
Coal is only 37% of how elc. Genarated now times are changeing
more then coal

Danielson, CT

#14 Jul 25, 2012
nope wrote:
yes gas dose coal is only 37% og elc gen. Now

Craigsville , WV

#15 Jul 25, 2012
Duh wrote:
<quoted text>He is so miserable that he hates himself, and doesn't know it yet!
I hate everything including U ... LMAO
Willy Joe

Bluefield, WV

#18 Jul 25, 2012
Coalhater wrote:
All of you "Friends of Coal" had better face the reality that whether it happens now, ten years from now or fifty years from now coal will no longer provide substantial employment or revenue for West Virginia because all of the coal will be mined out. President Obama is NOT trying to kill the coal industry, that is merely a negative smear campaign by Republicans who are all about big business and big government to scare everyone into voting for whoever gets the Republican nomination. Basically, Mitt Romney though nothing is official yet. President Obama is working with the EPA and other agencies in an effort to develop alternative methods to coal burning so that when the industry does bottom out for good there will be some way to continue to produce electricity and keep us going. Obama is not the demonic entity he is portrayed to be, he actually has some really good ideas but Congress is throwing up brick walls in front of him with every proposal he makes because Congress is for the most part made up of Republicans and disgruntled Democrats who are mad because they want to turn the Democratic Party into a bunch of money grubbing, uptight schmucks like the Republicans are and Obama is fighting with them tooth and nail over it so nothing is getting done. Obama isn't perfect but I'd rather have Charlie Manson in the White House than suffer through another Republican like George W. Bush. Think what you want, believe all the roadside smear slogans stating that Obama is killing coal. Arch Coal shut the Birch Mountain operation down because the demand for coal this past year was far less than it has been in recent years and they felt they had to trim some fat somewhere in order to put more money into their other operations and meet the expected coal demands but not exceed them. This is what we get for pouring every aspect of our local economy into the coal industry. You damn coal lovers have been told for years that this was going to happen but you have all insisted vehemently that coal is what makes West Virginia go. Well, in many areas it still does but not this area anymore. Coal is a renewable resource but it takes centuries to form a quality coal seam. I suppose now we're down to either allowing alternate forms of industry into the area instead of bitching and crying anytime some corporation wants to locate in the area or we can all sit at the damn house until it falls down around us. Webster County, you have done this to yourself and there are many of us who do not feel sorry for you. I know I don't.
This is the most intelligent post I have ever read in the Webster Springs forum. I love you. lol

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Joint Effort Targets Green Coastal Shipping Jan 22 Gerald Vonberger 1
EPA Proposal Strengthens Nation's Preparedness ... Jan 20 Mike g Papa 3
Oil Spill Contaminates Montana Town's Water, EP... Jan 19 discuss locally 1
In brief: Crews to clean up oil spilled from ea... Jan 19 discuss locally 1
Drinking water trucked into Montana city after ... Jan 19 Cam 1
Obama Moves To Create First Methane Limits For ... Jan 15 Earthling-1 2
Report: Tests of ballast water treatment system... Jan 15 Paul 1
More from around the web