Justice Department files appeal in Ki...

Justice Department files appeal in King William reservoir ruling

There are 16 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Jun 1, 2009, titled Justice Department files appeal in King William reservoir ruling. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

The U.S. Department of Justice Monday filed a notice to appeal an earlier U.S. District Court ruling that found the U.S. Corps of Engineers "acted arbitrarily and capriciously" when it issued the permit for the King William reservoir in 2005.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

Say it aint so Joe

Hampton, VA

#1 Jun 1, 2009
The decline and fall of the Frank/Bateman dynasty.
How sad.
Estimated Prophet

Williamsburg, VA

#3 Jun 2, 2009
Looks like the US DOJ wants to give certain people in NN the chance to waste another 50 million dollars. I hope they don't pursue this. I don't think the people will stand for it.
SWAMPGIRL

Powhatan, VA

#4 Jun 2, 2009
Wait a minute. Why should all US tax payers have to pay for Newport News' foolishness? It's bad enough that we are bailing out failing companies and now we have to bail out greedy Newport News (they just want to sell the water to others, not use it for Newport News citizens).
play it straight

United States

#5 Jun 2, 2009
well the first three comments obviously come from the hate everything and oppose everything crowd. Man these folks need to get a life and let folks willing to put up with their crap make sure they have decent infrastucture for them to use. If it were left to folks like these first three post we would be third world country. I wish Joe would hand it off to one of you idiots since I dont live in NN anymore anyway. It would be entertaining watching what kind of disasters you could create. Especially you "say it ain't so joe" the bigeest loser of the bunch. I would guess you are a good friend of crazy cary and pat coile.
Wake-Up People

Callao, VA

#6 Jun 2, 2009
Oklahoma.
The state law passed today, 37 to 9, had a few liberals in the mix, an amendment to place the Ten Commandments on the front entrance to the state capitol. The feds in D.C., along with the ACLU, said it would be a mistake. Hey this is a conservative state, based on Christian values...! Guess what..........We did it anyway.

We recently passed a law in the state to incarcerate all illegal immigrants, and ship them back to where they came from, unless they want to get a green card and become an American citizen. They all scattered. Hope we didn't send any of them to your state. This was against the advice of the Federal Government, and the ACLU, they said it would be a mistake.
Guess what..........we did it anyway..

Yesterday we passed a law to include DNA samples from any and all illegals to the Oklahoma database, for criminal investigative purposes. Pelosi said it was unconstitutional.
Guess what........We did it anyway.

Several weeks ago, we passed a law, declaring Oklahoma as a Sovereign state, not under the Federal Government directives. That, for your information, makes Oklahoma and Texas the only states to do so. Guess what.........More states are likely to follow. Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia, both Carolina's, Tennessee, Kentucky, Missouri, Arkansas, West Virginia, just to name a few. Should Mississippi act, so will Florida. Save your confederate money, it appears the South is about to rise up once again.

The federal Government has made bold steps to take away our guns. Oklahoma, a week ago, passed a law confirming people in this state have the right to bear arms and transport them in their vehicles. I'm sure that was a set back for the Kennedys and Ms Pelosi.
Guess what..........We did it anyway.

By the way, Obama does not like any of this.
Guess what....who cares...we're doing it anyway.
virtual indian

Yorktown, VA

#7 Jun 2, 2009
The photo and caption are interesting. Is the Daily Press echoing the City's claim that it would save the Cohoke Mill Stream Valley by stripping all vegitation and topsoil and then inundating it. The photo is probably twelve years old and shows a piece of land belong to the Gilman Land and Timber LLC. Yes, timber production is a current use of the land. Note that although the Gilman LLC owns the land all the way to Cohoke Creek. Note the large buffer of mature trees they left between the clear cut and the creek. The Reservoir Dam would be located beyond the bottom left corner of the photo. The reservoir would cover all of the forest and clear cut visible in the picture, as well as Virginia Rt 626 which can be seen in the photo. A photo of the same area today would show a well established pine forest where the clear cut appeared then. The environmental organizations recognize that responsible timber production helps preserve valuable environments. They wouldn't be opposing the project if the Reservoir was going to "save" the environment. Whoops, I just opened the atricle in another tab and the picture and cption have disappeared while I typed this.
Zot

Newport News, VA

#8 Jun 2, 2009
Awful reporting alert! "Whoops, I just opened the atricle in another tab and the picture and cption have disappeared while I typed this." There's no news like old news, way to go, DP!

- Ha!!! Ha!!! Ha!!! Ha!!!
To Suffer Fools

Newport News, VA

#10 Jun 8, 2009
play it straight wrote:
well the first three comments obviously come from the hate everything and oppose everything crowd. Man these folks need to get a life and let folks willing to put up with their crap make sure they have decent infrastucture for them to use. If it were left to folks like these first three post we would be third world country. I wish Joe would hand it off to one of you idiots since I dont live in NN anymore anyway. It would be entertaining watching what kind of disasters you could create. Especially you "say it ain't so joe" the bigeest loser of the bunch. I would guess you are a good friend of crazy cary and pat coile.
Biased much?
play it straight

United States

#11 Jun 8, 2009
To Suffer Fools wrote:
<quoted text>
Biased much?
but I am sure you are not biased. You probably have all of the answers too. I am sure ou have run for political office to offer your ideas to the public. Yea I am biased against stupidity.
Say it aint so Joe

Hampton, VA

#12 Jun 8, 2009
Your fat sleezeball croney has run this city into the ground. City employees have retirement problems because Joe spent the money on City Center and Oyster Point. Then there was his cheer-leading for the transportation authority that was declared unconstitutional (Joe is a lawyer and should have known this) There's the revolving-door legal system that keeps him in business. Add to this the reservoir fiasco and his development plans for Menchville and the extermination of Deep Creek and enough is enough. Your boy has wasted millions of dollars on his scams that could have built a better form of "Bad Newz".

If I had the power your boy would go to jail. Best not 'hand it off' to me.

play it straight wrote:
Good riddance

Hampton, VA

#13 Jun 8, 2009
You missed the contractural agreements to developers that guarantee millions in public money should these developers not make money on their 'visionary' projects.

And the taking of Mattoponi Indian land by iminent domain to build his reservoir project.

He's got two offices for twice the waste of a regular Council member.
And worst of all are his sanctimonious lectures about ethics. This is the absolute height of hyprocracy

Rumor has it he won't be back brecause he is incapible of winning an election. Good riddance
Say it aint so Joe wrote:
Your fat sleezeball croney has run this city into the ground. City employees have retirement problems because Joe spent the money on City Center and Oyster Point. Then there was his cheer-leading for the transportation authority that was declared unconstitutional (Joe is a lawyer and should have known this) There's the revolving-door legal system that keeps him in business. Add to this the reservoir fiasco and his development plans for Menchville and the extermination of Deep Creek and enough is enough. Your boy has wasted millions of dollars on his scams that could have built a better form of "Bad Newz".
<quoted text>
research girl

Mechanicsville, VA

#14 Jun 14, 2009
I just thought before posting about the above article, this news release should also be read by everyone. I am concerned that we live in a time when everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and therefore is susceptible to becoming very brainwashed which triggers voting based on emotion vs. reason. Please read this news release in addition to the above article. http://www.kwreservoir.com/City_News_Release....
play it straight

United States

#15 Jun 15, 2009
Say it aint so Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank the heavens that there are not enough fools in the world to elect an idiot social misfit like you to public office. is this crazy cary or tricia stall writing these post. i sort of recognize the slime.
To Suffer Fools

Newport News, VA

#16 Jun 15, 2009
play it straight wrote:
<quoted text> but I am sure you are not biased. You probably have all of the answers too. I am sure ou have run for political office to offer your ideas to the public. Yea I am biased against stupidity.
If you were biased against stupidity, you would not be for this project. The reasons this project should not proceed are numerous and obvious.
To Suffer Fools

Newport News, VA

#17 Jun 15, 2009
research girl wrote:
I just thought before posting about the above article, this news release should also be read by everyone. I am concerned that we live in a time when everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and therefore is susceptible to becoming very brainwashed which triggers voting based on emotion vs. reason. Please read this news release in addition to the above article. http://www.kwreservoir.com/City_News_Release....
I think, in this case, the facts have been out there for anyone to find if they're interested, though, the DP has, as always, done a great job of putting forward the mayor's perspective for him.
Sarah of NN

Newport News, VA

#18 Jun 17, 2009
research girl wrote:
I've read this media release, and I've seen similar articles with almost identical verbage in the Daily Press. This document explains where the Daily Press gets fodder for its articles. I'm not sure why you thought it would be particularly enlightening, but I found the following excerpt from it ironic since over 50M taxpayer dollars have already been thrown away on this project.

"This most recent Corps action has triggered Newport News City staff to reassess whether continuing to expend public dollars on a project that is increasingly unlikely to be built is a prudent course of action,"

FINALLY!!

This is not about being brainwashed and it's insulting to say that someone is "brainwashed" when they simply disagree with you. This project has been doomed for a long time and the failure of our mayor and city council to see the writing on the wall has resulted in a gross expenditure of NN taxpayer dollars. It is time to stop.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News White House will override Obama's climate plan (Oct '17) 3 hr hojo 6,136
News California's vehicle emissions fight continues ... Oct 15 Concave 2
News Ohio water systems must now notify when working... Oct 8 They cannot kill ... 1
News Decades later, Taft's "navigable waterway" disa... (May '08) Oct 7 Popped Cheryls Pe... 4
News Trump to announce pro-ethanol measure on Tuesda... Oct 7 Solarman 1
News UPDATE 1-EPA's new carbon plan won't slow coal ... Oct 6 Solarman 1
News Feds to pay for solvent cleanup Oct 5 okay 1