War on coal label obscures battlefiel...

War on coal label obscures battlefield realities

There are 18 comments on the wvgazette.com story from Oct 21, 2012, titled War on coal label obscures battlefield realities. In it, wvgazette.com reports that:

The war on coal is a sound bite and a headline, perpetuated by pundits, power companies and public relations consultants who have crafted a neat label for a complex set of realities, one that compels people to choose sides. It's easier to call the geologic, market and environmental forces reshaping coal -- cheap natural gas, harder-to-mine coal seams, slowing economies -- some kind of political or cultural "war" than to acknowledge the world is changing, and leaving some people behind. War, after all, demands victims. And in this case, it seems, victims demand a war.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at wvgazette.com.

grape soda

Charleston, WV

#1 Oct 21, 2012
Thank you for hopefully teaching real world economic reality to the bigoted CapPig and the intellectually challenged InfCitizen.

“Don't Start Rumors!”

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#2 Oct 21, 2012
LOL!!!
capitalist pig

Beckley, WV

#3 Oct 21, 2012
grape soda wrote:
Thank you for hopefully teaching real world economic reality to the bigoted CapPig and the intellectually challenged InfCitizen.
you really are a dumbass arent you? I happen to have a college degree that says I have actual formal economic education. Everyone knows that the coal has been hurt by the world economy and that lower gas prices have caused utilities to change to gas. That being said, it does not change the fact that the Obama Administration has waged a war on coal. You chose to ignore Obama's own words, that he would bankrupt anyone who built a coal fired plant. Here is one little piece of information that may have escaped you and every other coal hating son of a bitch in this country. They still cant make steel using natural gas. When the economy picks up, steel production will pick up. China and India are still building coal fired plants and when their economice pick up they will burn more coal. Less coal burned in the United States where environmental standards are high and more burned in China and India where standards are very low. You people dont love the environment, you are just haters and ignorant beyond any hope of ever being educated.
Obama Clooney 2012

Pineville, WV

#4 Oct 21, 2012
Loved the article. It's a WV article to beat all!

Thanks!

:)

“Don't Start Rumors!”

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#5 Oct 21, 2012
capitalist pig wrote:
<quoted text>
you really are a dumbass arent you? I happen to have a college degree that says I have actual formal economic education. Everyone knows that the coal has been hurt by the world economy and that lower gas prices have caused utilities to change to gas. That being said, it does not change the fact that the Obama Administration has waged a war on coal. You chose to ignore Obama's own words, that he would bankrupt anyone who built a coal fired plant. Here is one little piece of information that may have escaped you and every other coal hating son of a bitch in this country. They still cant make steel using natural gas. When the economy picks up, steel production will pick up. China and India are still building coal fired plants and when their economice pick up they will burn more coal. Less coal burned in the United States where environmental standards are high and more burned in China and India where standards are very low. You people dont love the environment, you are just haters and ignorant beyond any hope of ever being educated.
Put that college education to work then. Remember that word called "RESEARCH?"

http://www.google.com/url...

“Don't Start Rumors!”

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#6 Oct 21, 2012
And here is another one you need to read. Even coal companies have made this statement....

http://wvgazette.com/News/201210200084

Just because its not what you want to hear.

Wake Up. Your education aint doing you much good bout now.
capitalist pig

Beckley, WV

#7 Oct 21, 2012
DrMUDD wrote:
<quoted text>Put that college education to work then. Remember that word called "RESEARCH?"
http://www.google.com/url...
I am quite famaliar with it.
George Mudd

Oak Hill, WV

#8 Oct 21, 2012
DrMUDD wrote:
<quoted text>Put that college education to work then. Remember that word called "RESEARCH?"
http://www.google.com/url...
You guys better be real careful clicking any link George posts, he likes to link you up to his favorite gay porn sites. BE REAL CAREFUL!

“Don't Start Rumors!”

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#9 Oct 21, 2012
Then what happened to you right here?

They still cant make steel using natural gas

You are bound to know by now that as our world and technology keeps growing that what you always thought was not possible is now being made possible. The future with less coal use is looking better with every year that passes.
capitalist pig

Beckley, WV

#10 Oct 21, 2012
DrMUDD wrote:
Then what happened to you right here?
They still cant make steel using natural gas
You are bound to know by now that as our world and technology keeps growing that what you always thought was not possible is now being made possible. The future with less coal use is looking better with every year that passes.
That is true. But right now that is still a fact. Are you aware of how much coal India and China are still buying. As far as technology, coal is a carbon based substance and there are possible uses for coal that have not been invented yet. Someday, we will probably not use any carbon based fuels, but today is not that day.

“Don't Start Rumors!”

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#11 Oct 21, 2012
capitalist pig wrote:
<quoted text>
That is true. But right now that is still a fact. Are you aware of how much coal India and China are still buying. As far as technology, coal is a carbon based substance and there are possible uses for coal that have not been invented yet. Someday, we will probably not use any carbon based fuels, but today is not that day.
You obviously didnt read the first link. Natural gas being used to make steel by replacing the coal coking process is the FACT.

Yup, very aware of china and india, However it doesnt mean change wont happen there too. The technology also spreads just like the flu.

Today may not be the day, no one says it is, but the reality of it all is that tomorrow is always one step closer to that day. You people keep waiting for magic to happen overnight and wollow around in joy when that magic fails. BUT, it simply doesnt work like that with energy and progression. Betcha ten years ago when you believed the things you still do today, you wouldnt have believed it if someone would have told you that in 10 years natural gas power plants would be replacing coal fired plants either...right?
dumbliberals

Lubbock, TX

#12 Oct 21, 2012
So what exactly was the great revelations in this article that was supposed to put us coal supporters in our place?

Liquid natural gas has been being subsudized by the government to replace coal in some energy plants. I've never seen anyone deny that. We had a warm winter while the coal was being cranked out. Supply and demand. We know that.

The gentleman who wrote the article then went on to explain how the EPA is holding up mining permits that would create jobs. Then says the EPA is a "patsy". Sounds like they are more than a "patsy".

He then goes on to barely mention the new regulations the EPA put in place. He didn't mention that because of the EPA and the Big O that 20% of our coal-fired power plants will be offline by 2014.

The US will come back to coal. Trust me it will. When the citizens of this country start getting their electric bills that are double because of the lack of energy production they will be SCREAMING for coal.

He also used Jay Rockefeller as a source. That right there shows me which side of the fence he's on.

Anyway, I do agree with him in some regards. WV DOES need to look at investing in our future. The best thing we could do is vote out the Democrats that have been running our state into the ground for 100 years.

WV is about as hostile to business as you can get. We need some lawmakers who will entice businesses to come here and not squeeze every penny they can out of them.
capitalist pig

Beckley, WV

#13 Oct 21, 2012
DrMUDD wrote:
<quoted text>You obviously didnt read the first link. Natural gas being used to make steel by replacing the coal coking process is the FACT.
Yup, very aware of china and india, However it doesnt mean change wont happen there too. The technology also spreads just like the flu.
Today may not be the day, no one says it is, but the reality of it all is that tomorrow is always one step closer to that day. You people keep waiting for magic to happen overnight and wollow around in joy when that magic fails. BUT, it simply doesnt work like that with energy and progression. Betcha ten years ago when you believed the things you still do today, you wouldnt have believed it if someone would have told you that in 10 years natural gas power plants would be replacing coal fired plants either...right?
they are reducing their coal consumption, not eleminating. Do you really believe that energy companies are going to allow gas prices to remain as low as they are. There are gas wells shut down all over the place because the price is too cheap. Once the gas reserves are owned by a few big multinationals, the price will go up. energy companies are not going to just walk away from billions of dollars of coal reserves. Technology will also create new and cheaper ways to extract coal.
antiobama

Beckley, WV

#14 Oct 22, 2012
DrMUDD wrote:
<quoted text>Put that college education to work then. Remember that word called "RESEARCH?"
http://www.google.com/url...
As I stated in a different thread, the article says that only 20% of the coking coal is being replaced by natural gas. That's my interpretation, not that met coal is fully being replaced. Either way, natural gas has a long way to go before it can replace met coal in all of it's uses. And wind energy has so many limitations that it will be many years before it will be economically useful. Can you produce a different article that states coking coal is wholly being replace by natural gas at this point.
informed citizen

Oak Hill, WV

#15 Oct 22, 2012
Folks can feel good about retiring coal and replacing it with natural gas -- for now.

Ohio relies on coal for 80-90% of it's power (can't remember exact figure). Natural gas is cheap, at the moment so that lulls folks into not thinking about the future.

In the 70's gas was thought to be scarce & coal was pushed. There was a moratorium on new gas plants & coal plants were built - now those plants are being closed. Politics drove what should have been the market and industry responses to the situation. Politics is now driving the energy policy again.

As has been mentioned, but not highly publicized is that producers are closing hundreds of gas wells because there's currently a glut of gas on the market making the price low, but delivery costs high. When the glut is used up the price will rise & those folks who chose to listen to political rhetoric to choose their candidate will be stunned & crying when their utility bills

SKYROCKET... Wasn't that the promise? Can't you see the writing on the wall? Closing mines & changing plants? Ohio...I don't want to hear you crying in the future - voting for Obama is cutting your own throat.
informed citizen

Oak Hill, WV

#16 Oct 22, 2012
Now a note for Virginia

recent rumor --- Consol laid off 190 mine at Buchanan Mine.

Also from last week - Joy Mining Machinery - Duffield VA - laid off 51

The liberal lapdog-proDemocratic union has not endorsed either candidate. Well, that's OK because not being the usual liberal lapdog says it all.
nemesis

Charleston, WV

#17 Oct 22, 2012
We scream about Coal, but we will come up short too if the Chemical Industry builds the proposed "Cracker" Plants. When they process the Gas into Methane, Ethane, Butane, Propane, and Ethylene, these products will be piped to the Gulf Coast and other areas, they will get the jobs, and once again this State will get the shaft. The Chemical Industry will boom, and once again, our Representatives in Charleston will sit, with their hands out, and let it happen. We could be the Saudi Arabia of this nation if we only had some leadership.
DR MUDD

Oak Hill, WV

#18 Oct 22, 2012
I like gay Porn.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Cool and Connected - Fri Good Gawd 1
News Grand Lake St. Marys polluted again with toxic ... Aug 25 Bring Cash and Lysol 2
News EPA raises water issues (May '10) Aug 22 The water guy 2
President Obama's ballast water delay (Jun '11) Aug 6 Ballast Zika 8
News Criminal investigation underway into 2015 Color... Aug 1 He Named Me Black... 1
News ECOVIEWS: What are our top 10 environmental pro... Aug 1 Be Afraid Very Af... 2
News Pricey Molekule Air Purifier Cleans Indoor Poll... Jul 29 Raphan disbarred 2
More from around the web