EPA: Water Cannot Be Considered A Pollutant

Full story: NBC29 Charlottesville

A new ruling saying that water cannot be considered a pollutant may have saved Virginians some money.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of54
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
huck

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

ah, the cooch defying logic again
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/01/03/vi...

“Equal Opportunity Not Results!”

Since: Nov 08

Charlottesville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

huck wrote:
ah, the cooch defying logic again
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/01/03/vi...
So tell me, how he is "defying logic?"

“Don't Drink The Obama Kool-Aid”

Since: Aug 09

You don't need to know, Va.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

C-Ville Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>So tell me, how he is "defying logic?"
Patriot, you're wasting electrons. Liberals never have a logical thought.
jogger

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

The epa is just one of many federal agencies that need to be eliminated......

“Equal Opportunity Not Results!”

Since: Nov 08

Charlottesville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

Im Ya Huckleberry wrote:
<quoted text>Patriot, you're wasting electrons. Liberals never have a logical thought.
I know but I still like to put them on the spot.
Chuck

Ruckersville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

I don't get it. How can the courts consider Dihydrogen-Peroxide (H20) not dangerous? It has been documented to cause thousands of deaths and Billions of dollars in property damage ever year!

Good for Virginia. The EPA has been trying to pass the most absurd regulations at the whim of their puppet masters.

Rainwater a pollutant? Really?
Sarg

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Your headline is misleading: the EPA is saying that water IS a pollutant; the Federal Court overruled it, saying that water IS NOT a pollutant. Your article does not even state that this case was brought before the Court by Republican VA Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli, and by the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors, mostly Democrats.
huck

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

I know it's hard to comprehend, but

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stormwater
Native

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

huck wrote:
I would have to agree with EPA; this mixture sounds very toxic to me...runoff from acres of parking lots coated with oil, antifreeze, transmission fluid, and other automobile products.
Quan

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judges be holdin grudges and puttin da smack down on dat Lisa Jackson yo....
Quan

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

I be chillin yo straight sippin dihygoren perox-ide as I lay da seat back on my Hoo ride...
Dude

Remington, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

I've often thought that parking lots need oily water separators. There's more storm water run off from parking lots than industrial sites that have OWS systems. It's hard to argue against the concept of clean water. Water is kind of important to survival as a species.
Rusty

Edinburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Native wrote:
<quoted text>
I would have to agree with EPA; this mixture sounds very toxic to me...runoff from acres of parking lots coated with oil, antifreeze, transmission fluid, and other automobile products.
Enjoy the sprawl...without it you couldn't have your pretentious shops and markets. Heck, even the gas stations have become uppity.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

huck wrote:
Yes, it is hard for you to comprehend that this is not about the pollution in the water, but the WATER itself.

A federal district judge Thursday shot down a “novel” EPA attempt to regulate the flow of water as a pollutant, stopping dead in its tracks what otherwise would have been a major regulatory expansion.

The ruling by U.S. District Judge Liam O’Grady handed a significant legal victory to Virginia Attorney General Kenneth T. Cuccinelli II, who is running for governor of the Commonwealth.

Cuccinelli personally argued the case before O’Grady on Dec. 14, warning the EPA’s attempt to regulate the flow of water into state waterways would amount to a “tremendous expansion” of its regulatory power.

O’Grady appeared to concur in his opinion, writing: "The Court sees no ambiguity in the wording of [the federal Clean Water Act]. EPA is charged with establishing [limits on] the appropriate pollutants; that does not give them the authority to regulate nonpollutants.”

Assuming the judgment withstands appeal, it would spare Fairfax County an estimated $300 million in compliance costs. Nationwide, three other lawsuits against the EPA’s recent assertion of its authority to regulate water flow are pending.

Cuccinelli commented in a statement after the ruling: "EPA was literally treating water itself -- the very substance the Clean Water Act was created to protect -- as a pollutant. This EPA mandate would have been expensive, cumbersome, and incredibly difficult to implement.

“And it was likely to do more harm than good,” he added,“as its effectiveness was unproven and it would have diverted hundreds of millions of dollars Fairfax County was already targeting for more effective methods of sediment control."

The Virginia Attorney General portrayed the EPA rainwater regulation as a classic case of bureaucratic overreach.

"EPA's thinking here was that if Congress didn't explicitly prohibit the agency from doing something, that meant it could, in fact, do it," said Cuccinelli in his statement.

"Logic like that would lead the EPA to conclude that if Congress didn't prohibit it from invading Mexico, it had the authority to invade Mexico. This incredibly flawed thinking would have allowed the agency to dramatically expand its power at its own unlimited discretion. Today, the court said otherwise.”

The 1972 Clean Water Act authorizes the EPA to establish a limit, called the Total Maximum Daily Load (TMDL), for how much of a pollutant it will allow to enter a waterway.

But the Accotink TMDL would have ordered state and local officials to reduce almost by half the amount of stormwater that would flow into the creek. That influx, the EPA said, was stirring up sediment in the waterway, and harming worms and insects that help keep the creek clean.
But O’Grady said the EPA needs congressional authorization in order to issue such regulations.

"Stormwater runoff is not a pollutant, so EPA is not authorized to regulate it," O'Grady said.

Cuccinelli, the conservative Republican who is running for governor against former DNC chief Terry McAuliffe, told Newsmax TV in an exclusive December interview that he was reaching across the aisle to work with Democrats in order to try to rein in the EPA.

“You know it’s bad when a partisan Democrat board of supervisors, like Fairfax County, will join us to sue the EPA,” he said.“That’s how bad it’s gotten.”

Cuccinelli, a former three-term state senator from Northern Virginia who is seen as an unabashed champion of the Old Dominion’s grass-roots conservative community, added:“I refer to it as the Employment Prevention Agency. They’re very good at that.”

Read more at:
http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/cuccinelli-e...
huck

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Hi huck! All done crying?

just kidding, welcome back!

and yada, yada, yada, to you

the water runoff is polluted, they're just splitting legal hairs
Pinky Chablis

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

huck wrote:
welcome back? hardly. Trolling never stopped got tired of aliases, and now out of the closet again

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

huck wrote:
I see reading and comprehension still isn't your strong suite. From the article,"A federal district judge Thursday shot down a “novel” EPA attempt to regulate the flow of water as a pollutant, stopping dead in its tracks what otherwise would have been a major regulatory expansion." Please note "regulate the flow of water", not the pollution level of the water.
Maybe if the judge had ruled that the EPA can't regulate the amount of rain falling in this area, you might be able to understand.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Pinky Chablis wrote:
<quoted text>
welcome back? hardly. Trolling never stopped got tired of aliases, and now out of the closet again
This from somone who uses the screen name of "Pinky Chablis." Get real..
huck

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

"Please note "regulate the flow of water", not the pollution level of the water."

The water running off the asphalt is already polluted.

Would you prefer we mandate we penalize you for oil dripping beneath your car?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

huck wrote:
"Please note "regulate the flow of water", not the pollution level of the water."
The water running off the asphalt is already polluted.
Would you prefer we mandate we penalize you for oil dripping beneath your car?
And now we get to the point I made earlier,liberals can't think logically. If the water was already polluted, the EPA would have been able to regulate it without court intervention. Next time, think before you post heh.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of54
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••